Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Main reason permadeath mmo

MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273

I think the main reason this game is under the SOE flag is for them to test out if permadeath should return to games , more specificly EQ next. what do you ppl think?

why else bring out such a dated game to the european/american market?

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

There are better ways of determining if permadeath should become a normal feature than to build up an entire MMO just to test it.

It's just part of that particular game's design.  Nothing more.

You make me like charity

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273

well thats the funny thing, SOEdidnt make Wizardry online.

its a korean developer who did and released it in the east a couple of years ago ( hence the dreadfull graphics )

SOE is just releasing it on the western market. thats why i am asking

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    return?    Mmorpg's never had permadeath.   They had death penalties.
    Originally posted by fenistil
    return?    Mmorpg's never had permadeath.   They had death penalties.

correct and if you read my tekst i didnt say return to mmo's , i said to games ( in general ) image

• mothefomothefo Member Posts: 30

if they wanted to test permadeath all they had to do is make a permadeth server in any of their already existing games.

no, somebody believed that there was a "perma death niche crowd" and decided to make niche game. nothing wrong with that, it's just not my niche that's all.

Originally posted by mothefo

if they wanted to test permadeath all they had to do is make a permadeth server in any of their already existing games.

no, somebody believed that there was a "perma death niche crowd" and decided to make niche game. nothing wrong with that, it's just not my niche that's all.

they could have just cattered to that niche crowd with what you described yourself. im still thinking they have a hidden agenda with all this hehe

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

PD as a mainstream idea? No. I see no chance of that.

But why not do this for those inclined with PD for standard mmo's (not WO). When you start your character, you have your nameplate which the world see's and then a symbol after that which represents "you have not died". When you die, that is removed, your charcater is still playable if you choose. That way PD Guilds and the world can know if you are legit. It would then be something seeing high level toons with their symbol still showing.

I have no problem any game coming up with a ruleset, we then get to choose if that is for us or not. I do think some people gloss over yesteryear games. Rouguelikes, a lot of people still cheat with those, with a MMO, there wil be no cheating. Wizardy had multiple characters, only one had to survive and bring back the party, this is a single character you control and then there is "Saves", all the games mentioned are single player games several with saves. You will not get that with a mmo. So when someone dies and they party with a group, how do they get back together, is their proper downscaling for the group to come down and assist the recently deceased? Again, I have no problem for them doing what they want, but their choice best come with some other options to make the situation somewhat workable for groups. Or will groups work, where if one dies another in theg roup can resi? And only group wipes are the threay of PD?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Montaronx

well thats the funny thing, SOEdidnt make Wizardry online.

its a korean developer who did and released it in the east a couple of years ago ( hence the dreadfull graphics )

SOE is just releasing it on the western market. thats why i am asking

So...the most likely answer why SOE would want to acquire and release it?

They could get it cheap?  Should provide steady income for minimal outlay?  Same reasoning behind DCUO and Vangauard and ...

We really need to stop examining everything for What Does This Portend, and seeking the Hidden Meanings.  We've got more than enough Prophets already, thank you very much.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• rivetman13rivetman13 Member Posts: 34
    Catering to a niche? that niche has to be smaller than the one that thought CoX was worth saving. (too soon?)
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by rivetman13
    Catering to a niche? that niche has to be smaller than the one that thought CoX was worth saving. (too soon?)

I'm kind of curious why SOE didn't pounce on CoX, actually.

Perhaps NCSoft didn't  offer it; otherwise seems like a natural for SOE.

"Here's a gasping fish of an older mmo, but clearly we could milk it for another decade of profit."

"Can we get it cheap?"

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by rivetman13

I'm kind of curious why SOE didn't pounce on CoX, actually.

Perhaps NCSoft didn't  offer it; otherwise seems like a natural for SOE.

"Here's a gasping fish of an older mmo, but clearly we could milk it for another decade of profit."

"Can we get it cheap?"

hehe arent you doing the same as me then? perhaps your the new prophet :)

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    realm of the mad god has always had permadeath, its a fun game too.