Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game will be an EPIC fail

Comments

• LoregabaLoregaba Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

The Repopulation has been steadily declining in popularity on this site for weeks now. Its currently almost in last place and at this rate will soon disappear alltogether.

People are starting to realize this game, while having good ideas, simply can't bring them or their visions to fruition....

Too bad.....

Prophetic Powers.....

Yup, I have 'em.................

The hype level doesn't mean much in respect to a game quality and success. I've seen many game here top rated for months being big disappointement after launch. Beside, its actually at the fifteen position and just came down recently. Which is pretty good for an indie, considering the big players in beta at the moment.

I see no prophetic power, just a lot of negativity.

Steven

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Loregaba

The Repopulation has been steadily declining in popularity on this site for weeks now. Its currently almost in last place and at this rate will soon disappear alltogether.

People are starting to realize this game, while having good ideas, simply can't bring them or their visions to fruition....

Too bad.....

Prophetic Powers.....

Yup, I have 'em.................

The hype level doesn't mean much in respect to a game quality and success. I've seen many game here top rated for months being big disappointement after launch. Beside, its actually at the fifteen position and just came down recently. Which is pretty good for an indie, considering the big players in beta at the moment.

I see no prophetic power, just a lot of negativity.

Steven

Anyone who has spent a decent amount of time on this site knows the hype level can change in one direction or another in a matter of days as people pay attention to different games.  

Also, who are you to state exactly why the hype has dropped some for this game? Have you interviewed everyone on the website?  You should learn not to make blanket assumptions.  Hype can drop because people become more excited about a different game (permanently or temporarily) as well.  Camelot Unchained is pretty high ion the hype list, and they aren't even funded yet, not to mention being 2+ years from a release date if they make the game.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    The hype level on this site is 8.26 as I write this. How is that bad for a game still in closed development?
  • pitonic1pitonic1 Member Posts: 12
    What is it that makes people happy when the see a disaster. According to the forum fighters each and every game will be an epic fail.
  • magichackermagichacker Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by remyburke

To the OP: This game is not for you. It's a sandbox, where your character lives in a world rather than playing a video game. In a sandbox, the devs give us the tools, then we the community make our own fun. There is a big shift in fundamental design going on with MMORPGs back to its roots, which might just save this genre from imploding in on itself.

It's OK if you don't get it, it's not your fault. Devs have been shovelling this "themepark level treadmill or die" design down our throats for so long, it's all people understand anymore.

This is why this game will not be an Epic fail.   Like Remy said Sandbox - make your own fun.  In SWG some of my greatest fun times was when I would just sit for hours buffing people in front of the starport.  Doing nothing but sitting and talking to my customers.  Was amazing and would love to do it again if I could, I miss that. 

A well created sandbox will trump any Themepark anyday for keeping people in a game.  Will it have high numbers, doubt it, but it will be a fun game that certain people like myself can get lost in.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

this game looks crap , I expected more .

Don't even care if the game is good , it would have to be the most amazing game ever created to look that bad .

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman

I can take people seriously who use CAPS to emphasize their unhappiness and resort to words like terribad to communicate their opinion.

This. That made me laugh out loud
  • RocSekRocSek Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Grailer

Don't even care if the game is good , it would have to be the most amazing game ever created to look that bad .

lol, I love people like this. They see an MMO in development (Alpha no less) and think it should look like Mass Effect 3 on full graphics... Thanks for the laugh.

All I heard was... "Well aren't you just a little lolly pop triple dipped in psycho."

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    I think this game will be an EPIC success

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Is it just me or does that make no sense what so ever ?  image

p>
  • KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by darker70

Is it just me or does that make no sense what so ever ?  image

Some people value pretty over functional and fun.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Then you are smoking what OP was smokin and you both need to stop.

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

And to further back the original claim that this game will fail,  look at the recent F2P announcement.

No way in hell could this game merit paying a sub. None. Zero. The people making this game understand that, and have since day one. Yet they try and convince potential players it was a 'choice'. It wasn't.

You can try and debate that all you want, to no avail.

This game will sputter along for a few months, then will go the way Gods and Heroes did. A slow, painful death.......

The game can't compete on any level to other F2P games. No content, customer service will be almost non existant, the ultra small dev team will be bogged down fixing bugs and other issues and so on.

My .02

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Atrocitus

First off, I am NOT, repeat, NOT in alpha/beta/whatever...Got it? In NO WAY HAVE I PLAYED THIS GAME YET......

I've seen plenty of videos of the game, listened to the 'devs' speak on the game, and have read plenty about it. Heres why this game will not only tank, but tank bigtime.....

Regardless of how long this 'team' of devs have been working on the game, content will be shallow. Its as simple as work force= gameplay. And they have an extremely small dev team. And we all know how fast gamers fly by content these days. There simply will not be enough to do

Well designed MMORPGs can thrive with small dev teams. All the early ones did. It's about giving the players tools, not churning out content. That's why almost all modern MMOs fail to reach success levels of the early MMOs.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by JC-Smith

Just need to correct a few things:

... On Size Of the Team, or Size of the Budget

While you can generally assume that more manpower = more production, that isn't always the case. In Repop, much of what we do is based on generated content. Once you have a good generation system in place, it allows you to be more efficient in your content creation. Rather than designing 7500 hand designed missions by hand, we focus on designing 500 templates. The templates specify the rules, item types, npc types, etc and each of those can be reused many times and each time the npcs, items, etc will be different. You can a lot things done with less people if you can automate or reuse a lot of it.

For things like artwork, you outsource to external artists or art houses, use licensed models, etc. Those types of things would all be mentions in the credits, but they don't count as team members.  Outsourcing is generally far more efficient from a price standpoint than if you do everything in-house.

... On Hero Engine

Your making a judgement on the engine based on how you saw TOR handle PvP or crowds of players. That is not a Hero Engine problem. It's a problem due to a lot of customization on the TOR models. It works fine for the situations the game was designed for most of the time (sparse player population, personal storyline, lot of soloing). It didn't work as well with a large number of players. But those are design decisions.  Had TOR had a primary focus on large scale PvP they probably would have gone in a different direction there, maybe sacrificing some customization to get it done.

As a renderer, Hero Engine isn't on par with the likes of Unreal Tech. But it's strength isn't in its renderer. It does a lot more than that.

... On AI

The last video footage was shot on the first day of ALPHA testing. You can't judge a game AI or any of its systems really based on a 2 second splice you saw in an alpha stage video. At that stage of development everything is still very much a work in progress.

Regarding  'size of the team/budget'....

So automating/reusage in quest content can allow for more content? Perhaps, but logic dictates repeating quest types will become boring after the first 30 runs.

Questing, generally speaking, is something that players are tired of, much less repeated quest type. And it can be argued that questing is a very shallow content base. In this day and age, games are moving away from this old method of keeping players busy.

Again, in two weeks time, after players have done the requisite kill and collect quest or whatever, that type of 'content' will not add to this games allure. Same ol' same ol.....I can hear the players crying now..../shrug

So your argument about computer generated questing giving players something to do? Doesn't hold up......There has to be content, A LOT of it to keep players after the initial launch. There simply are not enough workers to contribute to the overall game.

How you deem 'artwork' as content is beyond me.

Regarding Hero Engine.

Lack of customization is absolutely horrible. Players can't stand looking like the guy next to him. The only mmo that did this right was Aion. And lets face it, The Repop is no Aion when it comes to customization, or alot of other things for that matter.

Horrible graphics, zero customization and watching a pvp slideshow will do nothing to help this game.....

Horrid AI? The oft repeated ITS IN ALPHA hurp/durp excuse isn't going to be enough when this game launches. You and I both know there won't be any massive upgrading in that dept before launch. Be honest.......

Customer service? You glossed over that point......Again, a small work force won't be able to handle the complaints and problems after launch.

Your lack of a larger dev team will be mired in bug squishing eternally. If you think your launching with a lack of content, wait until two months down the road when people are wondering where the content updates are, and your still dealing with alpha bugs......

SImply put, this game has too many negatives going against it....../shrug

Whoa wait what!? You are blaming the Engine for lack of customization?!? That has absolutely NOTHING to do with the engine. The engine gives the tools, it doesn't do it for you. It doesn't give you skeleton framework or any of that. I can tell you now that you really do not understand what you are talking about.....

Customer service, I really think people understand the dev team is small.... but I truely believe these guys are dedicated, and I doubt customer service is going to be a Massive issue... besides, as people pick up they game they can bring on the CSR team. Give them a break.

Besides other games that have come out with multiplayer have been run and  managed by small teams... Look at one of the more popular games... Minecraft. No it isn't an MMO.. but it is supported on all platforms, it IS multiplayer, and has many many users.

I think perhaps at some point you should stop worrying about what The Repopulation team is doing, and I don't know, maybe say HEY Good Job on trying.. because in the end it doesn't matter whether they succeed or fail. The Point is they tried to put out something beyond the norm. 

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Then you are smoking what OP was smokin and you both need to stop.

I was being a bit sarcastic and countering the OPs statement.

I do think the game will do well.

Regardless of what Im smokin

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366
    How do you know what the customer service is going to be like when the game isn't even out yet....... Are you a time traveler? 

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

And to further back the original claim that this game will fail,  look at the recent F2P announcement.

If your going to troll you should at least do your homework. There was no "recent F2P announcement". This game has been free to play from the get go. That was clearly written on the Kickstarter a year ago.

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308

My .02

You're overcharging.

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144

Yes, Feb. or March of last year (when I first found it out on a public forum post) is a terribly recent announcement. And to suddenly announce it out of the blue, early last year, before doing a Kickstarter and to totally fail keeping it under wraps by being completely honest and up front on the website and even on Kickstarter. Such a travesty... It's a terribly business model, this honesty and interaction thing. /sarcasm

Know what makes me giggle? All these doom and gloom posts. It's like people are terrified that we're going to do something unique and awesome so they must continuously assert that we can't.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    OP. I sure hope your negativity  is not contagious over the internet.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Atrocitus is pretty much the only major butthurt Repop troll on this forum..  That's not really that bad.  Could be much worse :)

Keep up the great work devs!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by ElirionLoth

My .02

You're overcharging.

LOL!!

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by ElirionLoth

My .02

You're overcharging.

LOL!!

You need to /ignore the OP Tanner. This thread started as un-informed trolling, which is like 4th rate neophyte trolling. I mean if you're going to try and argue against a game at least become somewhat knowledgeable about it.

And truthfully, all that launches nowadays are epic fails, so this game should get a commensurate share of the market.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

This discussion has been closed.