Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

EVE or the new Darkfall?

hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon

So I bought tsw on sale played for about an hour and disliked it and decided to move on.  As an ex runescaper (pre 2006 era) do you think I would enjoy EVE online or the new Darkfall game coming out?  I was always one to pretty much merchant goods, stake, pk, and basically socialize.  Never really grinded skills unless needed for one of the above (logged in over a years worth of hours and was only level 114/126 when I quit).

Anyone who plays eve and is following darkfall or has played the old DF as well as EVE have any insight into this.  I tried EVE a couple years ago but I just felt so detached just flying around in a ship and honestly I got lost somewhere in space and just gave up (was still playing rs at the time so it wasn't a big deal)

Thanks,

Brian

«13

Comments

  • HeretiqueHeretique Posts: 1,101Member Uncommon

    EvE is a great game but was never too fond of "being" the ship. They are working on the separation as you can actually make an avatar now but I like being on land with Darkfall.

    Can't make the decision for you. They are both solid games IMO.

    Originally posted by salsa41
    are you have problem ?

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,978Member Uncommon
    Since the launch is imminent, I'd say the new DF:UW is the way to go.

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • FromHellFromHell NY, NYPosts: 1,311Member

    giving up quickly won't take you far in games like tsw, eve and probably darkfall.

    1 hour into TsW barely takes you to Kingsmouth where it starts to take off, I doubt you'd stand a chance with the extensive tutorial missions in EvE.

    try something casual like gw2 or tera

    Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

    Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s
    .


    .
    The Return of ELITE !
    image

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member

    As far as I know, CCP have never wiped the entire character database post-release in order to release a new version of the same game.

     

    What it boils down to is one of them lets the player interaction take on a massive and meaningful level so much so that it gets news articles from BBC and is put on display in the New York Museum of Modern Art, while the other is currently undergoing a NGE-esque period after which they will release a fantasy pve+pvp game where you get to kill things and other things.

     

    El Psy Congroo

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by FromHell

    giving up quickly won't take you far in games like tsw, eve and probably darkfall.

    1 hour into TsW barely takes you to Kingsmouth where it starts to take off, I doubt you'd stand a chance with the extensive tutorial missions in EvE.

    try something casual like gw2 or tera

    it isn't so much giving up quickly.  I look for something to grab me like it has done in the past with a few games such as runescape and WAR.  If it does or seems like it will I put in the extra time to actually play the game.   In the past Ive spent a good amount of time in games just to find out they never really were any good.  If anything literally peeks my interest I give it at least a week or two.

  • XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX texarkana, TXPosts: 223Member
    Originally posted by Heretique

    EvE is a great game but was never too fond of "being" the ship. They are working on the separation as you can actually make an avatar now but I like being on land with Darkfall.

    Can't make the decision for you. They are both solid games IMO.

    They abandoned the avatar idea btw. 

  • XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX texarkana, TXPosts: 223Member

    Well Eve is a safer bet because you already know pretty much what it is, although it will take you awhile to become viable (or so I've heard)

    With Darkfall, if you liked 1.0 you will probably enjoy 2.0, and with everyone starting at the same time, you won't be so far behind. The choice is yours :)

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
    Originally posted by Heretique

    EvE is a great game but was never too fond of "being" the ship. They are working on the separation as you can actually make an avatar now but I like being on land with Darkfall.

    Can't make the decision for you. They are both solid games IMO.

    They abandoned the avatar idea btw. 

    Are you sure?  Because I mean... I have an avatar.  It's actually required to have one as part of character creation now.  There was actually some huge mmo news regarding the shop for avatar clothing  as well, so to say they abandoned it as an idea..

    Well that's just not true :)

    El Psy Congroo

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member

    It seems in Darkfall you can kill things, and you can craft things.  If you get bored of crafting you could go kill, and if you get bored of killing (or dying) you can craft.  If you get bored of both, you post in the LFGame section of mmorpg.com :P

     

    EVE Online has a large flowchart showing things that players can do.  It isn't a two circle venn diagram as could be darkfall, but a flowchart of many professions, tasks, and player interaction fueled ideas.  There's so much that it gets referenced instead of trying to type out a paragraph to tell a new player of the things EVE offers players to do.

     

    Kinda a stark difference.

    El Psy Congroo

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Everything I see abouI Darkfall seems to be pvp pvp pvp which is great. But is there any downtime for trading and such? in eve it seems like I can make my role a merchant and in turn I can supplement any costs for pvp and such..Does this exist in Darkfall? If it does, does eve do it so much better that it's worth playing it instead?
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    Everything I see abouI Darkfall seems to be pvp pvp pvp which is great. But is there any downtime for trading and such? in eve it seems like I can make my role a merchant and in turn I can supplement any costs for pvp and such..Does this exist in Darkfall? If it does, does eve do it so much better that it's worth playing it instead?

    If you craft in darkfall, its to build things to kill with or to protect against being killed.

    It's a game about beating things over the head until they disappear and you can take their gear, while trying not to be beat over the head so much that you drop your gear.

     

    I've never heard of anyone "playing the market" for example, in Darkfall.

    El Psy Congroo

  • XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX texarkana, TXPosts: 223Member
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
    Originally posted by Heretique

    EvE is a great game but was never too fond of "being" the ship. They are working on the separation as you can actually make an avatar now but I like being on land with Darkfall.

    Can't make the decision for you. They are both solid games IMO.

    They abandoned the avatar idea btw. 

    Are you sure?  Because I mean... I have an avatar.  It's actually required to have one as part of character creation now.  There was actually some huge mmo news regarding the shop for avatar clothing  as well, so to say they abandoned it as an idea..

    Well that's just not true :)

    Sorry, they have abandoned everything they were planning on doing with them in the future. 

  • chaos824chaos824 boston, MAPosts: 5Member

    You can try Perpetuum Online as well. It's similar to EVE in the early years but it is ground based so Cover and LOS play a bigger role in PVP like darkfall.

     

    It's a decent game but just need more population to start wars  like EVE and then it would be great.

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    Everything I see abouI Darkfall seems to be pvp pvp pvp which is great. But is there any downtime for trading and such? in eve it seems like I can make my role a merchant and in turn I can supplement any costs for pvp and such..Does this exist in Darkfall? If it does, does eve do it so much better that it's worth playing it instead?

    If you craft in darkfall, its to build things to kill with or to protect against being killed.

    It's a game about beating things over the head until they disappear and you can take their gear, while trying not to be beat over the head so much that you drop your gear.

     

    I've never heard of anyone "playing the market" for example, in Darkfall.

    and in EVE is "playing the market fairly common".  It is what I used to do in runescape full time basically offering easy cash to those that didn't want to stand around trying to sell their item for market price until I had a huge stockpile of expensive items that I could sell to those who wanted them fast.  This was until they released their version of the auction house and even then I helped people short out items until other people started catching on and trying to get in on it too then we'd dump the items..

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by chaos824

    You can try Perpetuum Online as well. It's similar to EVE in the early years but it is ground based so Cover and LOS play a bigger role in PVP like darkfall.

     

    It's a decent game but just need more population to start wars  like EVE and then it would be great.

    actually gave perpetuum a shot for a week or so but the amount of people on at all times seemed to be about 100.  Seemed like it was on it's way out and any time invested would eventually be time wasted

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    Everything I see abouI Darkfall seems to be pvp pvp pvp which is great. But is there any downtime for trading and such? in eve it seems like I can make my role a merchant and in turn I can supplement any costs for pvp and such..Does this exist in Darkfall? If it does, does eve do it so much better that it's worth playing it instead?

    If you craft in darkfall, its to build things to kill with or to protect against being killed.

    It's a game about beating things over the head until they disappear and you can take their gear, while trying not to be beat over the head so much that you drop your gear.

     

    I've never heard of anyone "playing the market" for example, in Darkfall.

    and in EVE is "playing the market fairly common".  It is what I used to do in runescape full time basically offering easy cash to those that didn't want to stand around trying to sell their item for market price until I had a huge stockpile of expensive items that I could sell to those who wanted them fast.  This was until they released their version of the auction house and even then I helped people short out items until other people started catching on and trying to get in on it too then we'd dump the items..

    Playing the market in EVE is a great way for the quick and the lucky and the smart to get very rich in the game.

    There are people who speculate on prices, manipulate prices, stockpile, haul goods to trade, or just trade a little on the difference between buy and sell price.

    There's also an entire category of skills for a character called "Trade"

    El Psy Congroo

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member

    Also, EVE has a free trial.  Darkfall is currently unplayable last I heard as it undergoes its NGE-esque trasnition.

    May as well try the one you can, and if you hate it, try the other when it (re?)releases.

    El Psy Congroo

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

    Also, EVE has a free trial.  Darkfall is currently unplayable last I heard as it undergoes its NGE-esque trasnition.

    May as well try the one you can, and if you hate it, try the other when it (re?)releases.

    Yeah I downloaded EVE last night actually and Darkfall comes out the 12th of this month.  I'd just hate to start the trial to only play a few days, leave to play darkfall and then possibly want to pick up eve again.  Ive done the trial before but that was years ago and I feel like I didn't give it a full go because I was trying to see if it was better than a specific game. But now I have no game at all so my views are a little more open

  • naljejanaljeja BergenPosts: 94Member
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

     

    I've never heard of anyone "playing the market" for example, in Darkfall.

     I had friends playing DF who would log in and spend a big chunk of time trying to manipulate the market in their favor. It was really impressive to hear what they did and methods they used.. they also took part of pvp events on the server but if you asked them what they spent most of the time doing it would be mostly economy related. This was the first 6 months of the game

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by naljeja
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

     

    I've never heard of anyone "playing the market" for example, in Darkfall.

     I had friends playing DF who would log in and spend a big chunk of time trying to manipulate the market in their favor. It was really impressive to hear what they did and methods they used.. they also took part of pvp events on the server but if you asked them what they spent most of the time doing it would be mostly economy related. This was the first 6 months of the game

    Ah nice.

    Did they quit?  If so, why?

    El Psy Congroo

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by naljeja
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

     

    I've never heard of anyone "playing the market" for example, in Darkfall.

     I had friends playing DF who would log in and spend a big chunk of time trying to manipulate the market in their favor. It was really impressive to hear what they did and methods they used.. they also took part of pvp events on the server but if you asked them what they spent most of the time doing it would be mostly economy related. This was the first 6 months of the game

    Ah nice.

    Did they quit?  If so, why?

    I'd also like to know.  It is things like this that don't really get mentioned when the game's main focus is pvp

  • Sytek_88Sytek_88 Pikeville, NCPosts: 23Member

    eve career flow chart

     

    http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sytek_88

    eve career flow chart

     

    http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

    thanks! can flipping sounds fun lol

  • xenomonk6xenomonk6 burleson, TXPosts: 10Member
    Originally posted by Sytek_88

    eve career flow chart

     

    http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

    99% of eve can be chocked up to mostly rehashed gameplay anyways all with the same means to and end, while letting your ship avatar roam around and play the game for you.

    This game is absolutely terrible requires no skill and basically allows any newb to just walk in and play space ships, they try to talk big about how their systems are ground breaking but you can't even actually play the game, you click some really over elaborate UI menus then you click some other things that allow your ship to automatically play itself.

    The game is boring and redundant and if you actually read this "career flow chart" you can see that more than 90% of the things could be consolidated under the same category or have already been done better in another game.

    This game will always have hardcore fanboys with its ease of use and f2p model, to try and downplay darkfall unholy wars is sad as it will blow this shit game out of the water, but ya you're right eve is free... For a reason, go try it you'll be back soon!

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by xenomonk6
    Originally posted by Sytek_88

    eve career flow chart

     

    http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

    99% of eve can be chocked up to mostly rehashed gameplay anyways all with the same means to and end, while letting your ship avatar roam around and play the game for you.

    This game is absolutely terrible requires no skill and basically allows any newb to just walk in and play space ships, they try to talk big about how their systems are ground breaking but you can't even actually play the game, you click some really over elaborate UI menus then you click some other things that allow your ship to automatically play itself.

    The game is boring and redundant and if you actually read this "career flow chart" you can see that more than 90% of the things could be consolidated under the same category or have already been done better in another game.

    This game will always have hardcore fanboys with its ease of use and f2p model, to try and downplay darkfall unholy wars is sad as it will blow this shit game out of the water, but ya you're right eve is free... For a reason, go try it you'll be back soon!

    Never knew eve was free.  You're an odd duck.

    Also even if you get rid of most things on that chart, there's still more things to do or experience in EVE than Darkfall.  If you get rid of like 1 thing to do in darkfall, there goes a third of the value lol

     

    as I said though, easiest way for OP is to try it using the free trial that CCP offers with EVE.

    Make his own determination.

    And then try Darkfall... whenever it gets released (lol)

    Does darkfall unholy wars have its own website even?  Or an offical release date on a website owned by the company making it?  I mean, I know they do have a release date on their blog but according to that, Darkfall Unholy Wars came out 17 days ago... lol

    But yeah, at least try darkfall whenever they get around to releasing it, or releasing the release date.  Hopefully in the next couple months at least one of those will happen.

    El Psy Congroo

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.