Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever played an MMO in another language on purpose?

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Heya,

Has anyone ever played an MMO or game just to learn another language?

As someone who didn't grew up with English, gaming and movies is how I acquired most of my skill in English, I went to school for English too of course, but it was the movies and gaming that really taught me how to write and speak English.

Do you ever play games in another language on purpose or would you ever do that?

Comments

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Played the Korean CBT for ArcheAge recently. Played the JP Beta for FFXI back in 02. Played the JP version of Phantasy Star Online 2. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Played the Korean CBT for ArcheAge recently. Played the JP Beta for FFXI back in 02. Played the JP version of Phantasy Star Online 2. 

Do you feel you learned something from it, language wise?

I only started to learn from shows like Friends on T.V. after a year of basic English in school.

• romerokromerok Member Posts: 104

I've played wow, transformice & Dragonball z Ultimate battle 22 in french. I've also played the japanese version of Shin Sangoku Musou Online for quitte a while (Its dynasty warriors online).other than that I think that most of us share your experience with the english language. 

"You resist. You cling to your life as if it actually matters. You will learn."

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Not really, but I'm always willing to learn other languages.  I found the best way was to watch movies I ALREADY KNOW WELL, and then watch them in a new language.  At least that way I sort of knew what was being said.  The brain does magic that way.

Playing an MMO (or watching a brand new [to you] movie) is not a good way to learn a new language. It will only confuse the mind.

I'm sure someone could learn a new language this way, but it will take a shitload longer than other methods.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

No games, but I've watched a few animes with English sub-titles so I could still hear the spoken Japanese. Mostly I did that so I could get a better idea of the emotions being conveyed, but I did start picking up a word here and there.

• Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Yes Phantasy Star Online 2 it was awesomely fun but couldnt understand jack.

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Only the Lineage II Korean beta.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158

Since I am from germany and posting on this forum it is quiet obvious that I play games in foreign languages. But to be honest I have never played a game that wasn't german or english.

I also have to agree with the OP that playing games and watching movies improved my english skills a lot. Everyone learning a new language should be doing it because it gives you a feeling of how native speakers really speak, which can be quite different from your textbook at school ;)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

No, I specifically avoid playing games in my native language. And whats the point of playing a game you don't understand? I played this one game where the local player community was trying to translate the game into my language and I hated it because the translation had so many flaws in it. Certainly showed that enthusiasm does not make up for skill.

...it was like reading google translate at times.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I've been playing most of my former mmorpgs in english language, just as i prefer to watch movies in english.

I'm a kraut btw.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Heya,

Has anyone ever played an MMO or game just to learn another language?

As someone who didn't grew up with English, gaming and movies is how I acquired most of my skill in English, I went to school for English too of course, but it was the movies and gaming that really taught me how to write and speak English.

Do you ever play games in another language on purpose or would you ever do that?

Yes, I have played Chinese MMORPG, and other games. Oh, i can read and write Chinese, and usually they have settings that are not available in western games .. hence i play them.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Only game I played in another language was Phantasy Star Online 2, and not to learn that language.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Heya,Has anyone ever played an MMO or game just to learn another language?As someone who didn't grew up with English, gaming and movies is how I acquired most of my skill in English, I went to school for English too of course, but it was the movies and gaming that really taught me how to write and speak English.Do you ever play games in another language on purpose or would you ever do that?

i played Aion Chinese for ages. didnt understand a word lol!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    For a while there, it seems like every group finder instance I ran was full of argentinians.  

You make me like charity