Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What Do Venture Capitalists Look For?

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

An interesting article on Gamasutra talking about what venture capitalists look for when investing in a video game developer. Since this is MMORPG.com, I think it's relevant that the types of games a developer is making do not make any difference. It seems to be a performance based system, not a values based system.

From the Article:

Since I'm a venture capitalist, I'm often asked what I look for in a game company investment. I've had some good success in investing in this category, most notably Playdom and Kixeye, but this is still a difficult question to answer because investing isn't like giving a driving test. If a company checks all the boxes, it doesn't mean that I'll write a check. But there are a few things that I always do look for.

The Article Itself:
What Do Investors Look For In A Game Developer?

* Yes, I copied MMORPG.Com's format for posting stuff like this. Don't sue me. Really, I've got a $300 repair on my car before it'll pass inspection, I can't afford to get sued.

** Also, I first spotted this on Massively.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member
    This would help new devs know what to look for in the Developer forums. I'll throw it up in there.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Thief!

That's an angry kitteh.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.