Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO to teach a beginner is best?

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I need to introduce someone to MMOs (PVE centric).  Curious to get your thoughts as to which ones you think might still be enjoyable and not overwhelm someone while still not boring me to death. WOW? LOTRO? GW2? SWTOR? AOC? Pros/Cons? Best for Groups of 2? Remember, newbies dont understand stats in most cases.

Thanks.

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

i would say WoW, free to play to 20 and has the polish and fun for new folks

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

WoW it has the basics of what all mmos offer atm. Master of quest progression and treadmill gear progression. 

Although Rift has excellent content for DUO players. Rift imo is a better version of WOW. Has player housing world events keep leveling somewhat fresh, Chronicles (duo/solo dungeons), actually difficult raids/heroics, and more. As it stands id either got with WoW or Rift. Rift has deeper class customization which may throw off your friend but its great.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Honestly, I really feel that any of these four are good into level games:

1) WoW - has a bit of everything

2) GW2 - Same reason as WoW plus you don't have to be bombarded with the notion of the trinity.

3) LOTRO - Very friendly community and packaged very nicely.

4) SWTOR - Has a little of everything. Familiar IP.  Free to play (limited).

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I'd say SWTOR is pretty newbie friendly - and free to play. No need to purchase anything. Also - Star Wars.

it has comprehensive tutorials at the beginning.

TSW sure has a steeper learning curve for beginners but it would be the better title to play longterm, but it's a subscription game.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    I would say WoW for ease for sure. However, if you'd like the person to experience an MMORPG, Vanguard:Saga of Hereoes.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by keithian

I need to introduce someone to MMOs (PVE centric).  Curious to get your thoughts as to which ones you think might still be enjoyable and not overwhelm someone while still not boring me to death. WOW? LOTRO? GW2? SWTOR? AOC? Pros/Cons? Best for Groups of 2? Remember, newbies dont understand stats in most cases.

Thanks.

If they are a complete beginner, then World of Warcraft, hands down.  Its very new player friendly, and has years and years of content. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176
    A few months ago, SW:TOR redid it's tutorial.  Now there are huge, clear diagrams explaining almost every basic element of an MMO.  They are absolutely fantastic for beginners.  Even if you just tell them to play the first planet then another MMO of your choice, it's worth it because they are very useful. 
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I would actually suggest something like Pirates/Wizard 101. They have the bare bones and that's it. That way after you get tired of it, you can move up and they are very friendly introduction games. Sort of a bottom up approach. Starting with something like WoW (Millions of players think it's the best) may just make you as jaded and bitter as most of us on this site when you move to something sub-standard over and over again :)
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Guild Wars 2

No monthly fee, fast progression. Thats pretty nice imoh

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Niburu

Guild Wars 2

No monthly fee, fast progression. Thats pretty nice imoh

^  ^  the game flows easily, and naturally around the player. If you can kill stuff, you're in the right place.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    WoW, Rift, Lotro, Aion, Guild Wars 2, SW:TOR, maybe EQ2 I think are all easy enough for someone new to understand.  Out of those WoW seems to have been dumbed down enough for just about anyone to play.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

A suitable introduction in my opinion should have a large world, comfortable environment, non-toxic community, gear and level progression, crafting, dungeons, a mix of non-linear and storyline gameplay, and minimal emphasis on cash shop.

Add in being small group friendly and what I come up with is DDO.  Rift would be my second choice with the advantage that it's still a subscription game (no pay to win) and strong on PVE gameplay (fast leveling also from what I understand).

AOC would be off my list because of the personal storyline that cannot be done grouped.  I doubt a brand new player would do well soloing those.

SWTOR would be off by being linear storyline oriented.

I'm not sure that exposure to running randoms over and over in WoW is a good introduction to the genre.  They can be plenty toxic from what I've seen.

In thinking about it, I'm going to say my suggestion is DDO or Rift as pretty much a dead-even tie.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I tried to get my friend into GW2 and he was just lost in everything. I don't reccommend it. 
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I tend to find that learning something new is best learned on the most difficult setting; Buts thats just me. I would rather adapt to the harder setting and stomp the easy shit later. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Thanks.

Try out EVE online. I hear it's VERY beginner friendly.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by denshing

Thanks.

lol, that was mean ;)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
    I tried to get my friend into GW2 and he was just lost in everything. I don't reccommend it. 

Yeah this is my fear right now. GW2 is my favorite game at this moment, but the combat IS a little more advanced with the switching weapons, dodge, you can't just stand still  like in all the others, its easier to die for a beginner, I think as much as I love the game its probably a no here. Again, he has never used a keyboard to play games lol.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by FromHell

Thanks.

lol, that was mean ;)

lol its OK, I am a veteran so I know BS when I see it lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

EQ2, F2P trail then if likes sub.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Thanks.

That made me laugh out loud... ^^  Even with the new focus, its NOT new player friendly. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX

I might not recommend GW2 right out of the gate either.  The game doesn't have a lot of explaining or tutorials enough for someone brand new to this kind of gaming to easily understand.  It's not an incredibly difficult game and I love it.  But it wouldn't be my best recommendation to a brand new player. 

As many have said, WoW is probably the best bet.  It starts you out slow, pretty much explains everything in detail, and I cant imagine anyone having a hard time figuring it out as they go along.  It was built in such a way purposefully so even the uninitiated could pick it up easily and get going. 

I hate to not recommend GW2 as its one of my all time favorite mmo experiences, but that game confused a lot of long time mmo players in the beginning.   I never had a problem with it what so ever.   But as I said, WoW would be your best bet.  If not perhaps try Lord of the Rings Online as it has a free to play mode.  I would suggest Swtor as well since its fairly simple to understand, but it's free to play model is so abysmal I could see it turning a brand new mmo player off to mmorpgs forever.  It would me. 

Originally posted by grimal

Honestly, I really feel that any of these four are good into level games:

1) WoW - has a bit of everything

2) GW2 - Same reason as WoW plus you don't have to be bombarded with the notion of the trinity.

3) LOTRO - Very friendly community and packaged very nicely.

4) SWTOR - Has a little of everything. Familiar IP.  Free to play (limited).

All of the comments here are helpful. I can't see starting someone in Vanguard. I really didn't get into Rift at the time as I felt the starting area was very bland and the story worse than WOWs..but maybe I didn't give it enough time to get to know the game more. I'm not sure if the random events right off the bat are a good way to start. GW2 I say no based on my previous comments...so I guess it is down to LOTRO, SWTOR or WOW. Free only to level 20 for WOW sort of rules that out...so it comes down to LOTRO or SWTOR. Its a tough choice. I used to love LOTOR. Only played to level 60. It did feel like one of the few RPGs out there in the way it integrated you into the story with a friendly community. SWTOR with companions allows for tackling most of the content including 4 player content using companions as players. Its a tough one :-). LOTRO is  more open and less linear. SWTOR has the story which can make things for a beginner more interesting. I haven't tried Sith yet so maybe I would be less bored myself. sigh

There Is Always Hope!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Thanks.

That made me laugh out loud... ^^  Even with the new focus, its NOT new player friendly. 

depends, if the guy new to MMOs would like to have his hands held from start to finish or that he looks for a real challenge.

EVE can be simple, I play it for many years, it's not that hard, it just has a few hard rules......but EVE can be frustrating if you are used to a game like WOW.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

WoW hands down.  The graphics and environment are clean, clear and distinct as to not confuse new players that tend to wander into new areas without even knowing it. The leveling system is curved to award players with enough new things while keeping things simple and offers more variety with dual specs, glyphs and enchants as they approach higher levels. The world is large enough where there are plenty of things to occupy new players with things with tons of room for them to grow and explore. The refer a friend program is the best I've seen to offer returning players their friends a leg up in getting started. The endgame and PvP options are varied enough for new players to ease into those directions if they choose to do so.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    If the person is used to navigating either keyboard/mouse or console I would say GW2. If not then WoW IMO.