Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Most hated MMORPG

Comments

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I don't hate MMOs.  They don't do anything to me I don't allow them to....

However, the one I think sucked the most was Mytheon.  Complete waste of my time.  Good thing it was F2P :)

Have to say, as much vitriole as people on this site have toward GW2, I'm surprised the percentages aren't higher on that one.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by phantomghost

EQ1 is by far the best one in the list.

I voted WoW because Wow imo ruined MMO's... my opinion, I don't need you all to chime in about how great it is.  And start telling me all the great stuff... that I find boring and repetitive.  Which is why I am not stating why I believe it is the worst MMO ever... successful yes, but it ruined MMO and the community for me.

wake up , these wow ruined mmos is so last season griefing before 2003 there wasnt many MMos out there anyways ,

ultima and everquest and them handful of awfulness wich people always say they were the best just only cause they were the first ones you experince something out of the single playing games what you havent experienced before, not to that i also pplayed mmo called helbreath and it was great at the time 1998 but i wont go anywhere blaming wow was the fault of ruining it or other games, its about the opinions and what people like to play, if people play wow and not everquest what that tells you then? nobody play mmo cause they have to , they play cause they want to.

as for vote all mmos have atleast one good thing but mos dissapointed of them must have been warhammer online for me.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

For me it will always be DDO.

Although FFXIV comes awful close.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I voted "other" for games like LoL, WoT and other lobby games called MMOs but are really not. I don't hate them, or even dislike them, I just think the tag applied to them is silly.
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by sirphobos
    Asheron's Call 2

This makes me sad.  I absolutely loved that game (pre crafting revamp) so much.   You could wander and explore for hours, all the while creating your own gear out in the field using parts from creatures you had slain.  I really freakin miss the original AC2.

And it has no proper em!  If I am incorrect, contact me..  image

My vote had to go to WoW for reasons already stated in the thread.  Those of us that have been around and know what WoW/Blizzard did the genre know why.

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

After $oe took over EQ it became the worst then I figured out it was $oe.

So I just stay away from anything they do.

Might be adding NCSOFT next.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Yamota
    SW:TOR I hated with a passion. First because SWG was such a better representation of the Star Wars universe and second because they had all that money and they wasted it on voice overs and single player content. I mean seriously, an MMO where most of the content is solo-centered. Really??

That being said, it was a pretty good single player game but why would I play a sub. fee, and now cash shop, for a single player game?

Voiceovers are a collossal waste of money and time. It's a game, we can use our imagination. We can read. Please NO MORE VOICEOVERS.

WoW most certainly ruined the genre. Game companies have no business sense whatsoever and fail at determining the drivers of WoW's profliferation. They instead assume it's the kindergarden-level-gameplay; and have wasted countless $millions trying to imitate.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147

Over 600 votes this is one of the biggest polls I've seen on mmorpg.com.

Good work all!

With regards to a previous post, new gaming companies copy wow because they see $ signs what they fail to understand is the hook wow had when it started 8 years ago. This version of wow if it came out 8 years I personally don't think would've succeeded because back then the mmo genre fans kept it afloat. Now the game is warped to fit the desires of a new crowd the more fickle mmo crowd that want quick access to everything. If new companies made an open world with some wow elements like an easy ui and very transitional loading between zones it might succeed. The existing fans of wow are who keep it popular because they've put too much time in to leave. I left after 3 1/2 years invested back in 2010 some get it. I wish the new developers would get that too.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

Thanks for the poll. I enjoyed reading the responses.

I voted other, the other I referred to was Mortal Online, by Star Vault.

I dislike the company due the fact that they actually scammed their original customers.

I will not go into details, this forum and others contain all the relevant information.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Axehandle
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    If I was new to MMOs and to this site, I would take that poll in reverse and be sure to try the games in order of most voted for and try everything on the list in that order.  If MMORPG.com forumites claim to "hate" something.....it's probably good for at least the first six years you play it. lol

So you're saying the opinions of members usually means the opposite. So people slating swtor for having a bad engine, horrible Pve end game, extreme amounts of voice acting, the slowest loading screens on a major title and lots of other bugs should really read all that and think swtor is perfect and these people are just whiners?

Okay, when you're right, you're right.  I might make an exception for SWTOR.  Nonetheless, members of this site DO, without argument, tend to be very negative and to the utmost extreme.  My guess is that most of them have played so many MMOs they're just burnt out on the genre.  But this is, of course, only my opinion.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,805

I voted SWTOR, not because I hate the game. I never really played it, except in closed beta, when I quit because I didn't like it.

I "hate" SWTOR because I love Star Wars, and this game is occupying the space that a good MMO Star Wars game could occupy. Like an inert gas, SWTOR is not directly poisonous, but you will still die for lack of air.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Originally posted by free2play

Most MMO's I don't like. It's why I don't play them.

Hate?

None. Never forced myself to play one I didn't like long enough to learn to hate it.

Funny! Yet, you are posting on an MMO fan site. Go figure. :)

Let's party like it is 1863!

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

Why would you hate a MMO? Dumb post, only looking to incite a troll drivin community. I think I have played all the games listed some I liked others I don't. To say I hate the game wouldn't be true.

Variety is what keeps the genre going without it we would just be playing clones.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by phantomghost

EQ1 is by far the best one in the list.

I voted WoW because Wow imo ruined MMO's... my opinion, I don't need you all to chime in about how great it is.  And start telling me all the great stuff... that I find boring and repetitive.  Which is why I am not stating why I believe it is the worst MMO ever... successful yes, but it ruined MMO and the community for me.

I totally agree with this.   I think that the "dumbed down" approach that blizzard took with the game (and yes, if you started with WoW vanilla WoW was kindergarten compared to EQ back then) opened the flood gates to casuals (or should I say teenagers back then that are part of the entitlement generation and feel they deserve stuff because they eat, sleep, shit, and have a heartbeat and not have to learn and work for success) that would've never stuck with a MMO like EQ because it was a second job let's face it.  This approach has gotten worse in the years since.  Just look at the posts here on this site that claim that WoW is dumbed down compared to the vanillia days for instance.  It started the genre down a slippery slope that may never be recovered from.  

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Why no GW2 on that list? Is it not an MMO?
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Why no GW2 on that list? Is it not an MMO?

You misread the poll. It clearly states Guild Wars (specify which) what that means is which Guild Wars 1 or 2.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    TOR and GW2 are the wounds most freshly delivered, though Aion's is festering.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

666 votes!!!!

Quickly someone vote before it gets demonic in here.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I don't 'hate' any MMO. SWTOR was certainly the most disappointing in a long, long time.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

I voted WoW. Not because I hate the game itself, WoW was actually quite fun for a while (although it's gone downhill) but because of what it's done to the genre. Every MMO now has to appeal to the masses to try and make the same money WoW did and most of them end up appealing to no one (because those casuals are happy sticking with WoW).

It's my hope that SWTOR's abysmal financial failure has finally shown the investors that WoW's success is not going to happen again. They need to start targetting smaller demographics and focus on player retention over attracting as many people as possible.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Alberel

I voted WoW. Not because I hate the game itself, WoW was actually quite fun for a while (although it's gone downhill) but because of what it's done to the genre. Every MMO now has to appeal to the masses to try and make the same money WoW did and most of them end up appealing to no one (because those casuals are happy sticking with WoW).

It's my hope that SWTOR's abysmal financial failure has finally shown the investors that WoW's success is not going to happen again. They need to start targetting smaller demographics and focus on player retention over attracting as many people as possible.

TERA was another game ruined because they wanted to please wow players, and it ended up unpleasing everyone, I was very exited about TERA back in 2008-2009, thinking that it'd be the spiritual succesor of Lineage 2, but what I saw was a WoW clone, focused on instance repetition, BGs for pvp gear, and a boring quest chain where you rapidly rush to level cap, with a crappy pvp-pk-guild wars systems, and meaningless pvp.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Voted other because it changes based on what ever is most popular at a given time.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Voted other because it changes based on what ever is most popular at a given time.

That logic might make sense in other genres but not for Mmorpg's.

Like it or not we have 1 king in this niche and it's wow. I'm not a fan of it but in terms of popularity it's untouched.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It's not unusual for MMORPGs to promise more than they deliver. As a matter of fact, it's the norm once the spin monkeys get the hype machine started. But I don't remember any others being quite as bad as AOC with the fun and mostly polished Tortage that we got to see in beta and then the unmitigated disaster of a game that came after that. I know I wasn't the only one who felt decieved.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    All of the games on the list are playable.  It's games like Alganon and P2W MMOs that are the worst.