Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Total War's Creative Assembly gets the Warhammer license

MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Gamasutra: Total War's Creative Assembly gets the Warhammer license

Creative Assembly and parent company Sega today announced a multi-title licensing deal with British tabletop wargames company Games Workshop, that will see the Total War studio create video games based on the Warhammer universe.

The UK studio has set up a new development team alongside its Total War, Alien and mobile groups, dedicated solely to the Warhammer series.

The plan is to begin launching titles in the Warhammer franchise "from beyond 2013," says the company.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Warhammer seems like a really decent IP that yields really mediocre results. No idea if this group will be any better than any of the others, but I suppose we'll see.

** edit **
    Probably will be RTS games, not MMORPG.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Dawn of war was a decent RTS. Total War suits the armies approach more, should be considerablybetter than previous warhammer rts (not hard). I never really understood why GW never got their digital act together more instead of franchising IP's off...

Also: (Hero Quest is being developed by Rodeo on iOS, should be a good tbs ios game (bird-eye view) for interest.) 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Warhammer seems like a really decent IP that yields really mediocre results. No idea if this group will be any better than any of the others, but I suppose we'll see.

** edit **
    Probably will be RTS games, not MMORPG.

I guess the right company have not got their hands on the Warhammer IP.. If these guys make a Total War: Warhamemr game that would be awesome :)

There are some really good 40k games relic did an awesome job with the first Dawn of War game :)

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I'd love to see a Warhammer MMO. Please don't let Mythic or EA anywhere near it tho
  • elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

Total War do not work on MMOs,  i think the warhammer IP is perfect for the total war system.

The total war series is one of the best "Armies, strategic and tactical" games i ever experienced, actually i always wanted something along a  total war game with a fantasy IP, and warhammer is the best for this.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Im totally cool with talking about Non_mmos on a MMO site.....and I cant wait to see the results.  Maybe I should go fanoboi on the RTS sister site  lol

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    Dawn of war was a decent RTS. Total War suits the armies approach more, should be considerablybetter than previous warhammer rts (not hard). I never really understood why GW never got their digital act together more instead of franchising IP's off...Also: (Hero Quest is being developed by Rodeo on iOS, should be a good tbs ios game (bird-eye view) for interest.)  

I used to play HeroQuest with my step brother and sister. That was a fun game. Seems like it would be pretty easy to adapt to iOS or as a computer game in general.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

FUCK YEAH

Finally a good and big company dealing with warhammer

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    That should be fun, my personal opinion here but I think Creative Assembly makes the best RTS's anyways so Warhammer should only turn out better, ive never regretted a total way purchase.

Originally posted by apocoluster
    Im totally cool with talking about Non_mmos on a MMO site.....and I cant wait to see the results.  Maybe I should go fanoboi on the RTS sister site  lol

Well, maybe if you read the words, "General Gaming", and understood them, you might not have such a reaction to this thread.

• Dawn of War was excellent, although I didn't care much for the sequel. Mark of Chaos was mediocre. Wait and see I guess.
  • iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    That should be fun, my personal opinion here but I think Creative Assembly makes the best RTS's anyways so Warhammer should only turn out better, ive never regretted a total way purchase.

I didn't like purchasing Empire.... at first.  As time went on, they did things that made it better.  Yet from the original Shogun through Shogun II, Creative Assembly has had a pretty remarkable batting average (in the number of hits) and slugging percentage (the hits which turned into monsters.)  They were really matched only by Pre DA2 Bioware or perhaps Bethesda.

• They could release a graphically updated Shadow of the Horned Rat and I'd be perfectly happy. I love that game. Still, I'm excited to see what direction they take things.
  • gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I really enjoy the 40k franchise, i am pleased with the move. I am now hopeful for a strategy and rpg game from the franchise. Hopefully a mmorpg one. Swg meets 40k. That would be fantastically awesomeness
  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Meanwhile, Sega has confirmed to PCGamesN that Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War studio Relic Entertainment has retained the Warhammer 40,000 license.

I was excited until I read the above.  Love 40k universe, sort of indifferent to the fantasy universe.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

So does this mean Relic won't be making any more 40K games? If so, then I'm very disappointed. That studio had a lot of love for the IP, and it really showed in the quality of their games. DoW2 was absolutely fantastic, far better than the overrated 40K ripoff known as Starcraft 2.

On the other hand, I'm really interested to see what Creative Assembly can do with the license. Perhaps a 4X style game with real-time combat? Oh, the possibilities...

Edit: Read the above post. Very happy now. Two great studios have the licenses to two of some of the greatest scifi / fantasy IPs ever made. Nothing but good can come of this. Hopefully.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Wow this is great news! Creative Assembly is absolutely perfect for Warhammer Fantasy game ala Total War style. I've always dreamed of this match up, and now its finally come true! I'm a very happy camper.

And for Relic retaining 40k, I think this is also freaken awesome news. Relic is one of my favorite RTS developers out there, and I think their style of smaller scaled tactical combat fits 40k better. But you never know they could always go massive as well for future iterations of the franchise. I'm hoping they announce a Dawn of War 3 or something.

This is just so perfect. Two of my favorite studios handling seperate fronts of the IP xD

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i really dont care about anything related to Warhammer unless it directly affect Warhammer online: Age of reckoning. Make WAR f2p and ill be interested in the Warhammer topics. WHy not take the WAR licence from mythic / EA and fix it? i dont care about tabletop and rts warhammers :(