Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online F2P

123457»

Comments

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Malcanis
    It's much more likely that Star Citizen and the new Elite will take longer to develop, will not have all the "dream" features being trailed now, and by the time they appear, that the EVE we have now will be significantly further developed than the one we have now.

Not to mention that even if they are great games, they're only going to peel off the subset of EVE players who don't mind switching away from playing an MMORPG as long as the game they're switching to is good sci-fi.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Zyzra
    Originally posted by zimboy69
    Originally posted by Rydeson

CCP has no desire to entertain a PvE server because they don't have to..   Meaning they really don't have any competition on the same block, so they call the shots.. Yes, the devs of EVE are PvP fanatics and think everyone should play their way.. BUT there will come a day when they are no longer the only show in town, and when that happens and a PvE competitive comes online that does both PvE and PvP, they'll have to sing a new tune or fade off into the sunset..

Watch and wait.. just maybe one day Elite or someone will pop up and cut into the market..

and that day is within 2 years

there are  at least 3 new space  flight games comming out it only  takes one of them to be good and suddenly eve  will have a problem

3 space games?

EVE has grown in subscribers year over year every single year it has been out.  They're on track to break their subscription all time high, actually.

Somewhat related, how many dozens of WoW-clones did it take before WoW itself started to lose some subscribers?

A PVE-only game, space setting or not, wouldn't really be direct competition for EVE.

not to mention the fact that EVE is a sandbox, and a 'single server' game....unlike 99.9% of the other MMOs out there or in development.

So let's say that there's a space mmo coming out.......good fun if you have 50 different servers with 2000 people on it (peak times) and you're playing a themepark.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Muke

CCP has no desire to entertain a PvE server because they don't have to..   Meaning they really don't have any competition on the same block, so they call the shots.. Yes, the devs of EVE are PvP fanatics and think everyone should play their way.. BUT there will come a day when they are no longer the only show in town, and when that happens and a PvE competitive comes online that does both PvE and PvP, they'll have to sing a new tune or fade off into the sunset..

Watch and wait.. just maybe one day Elite or someone will pop up and cut into the market..

there are  at least 3 new space  flight games comming out it only  takes one of them to be good and suddenly eve  will have a problem

3 space games?

EVE has grown in subscribers year over year every single year it has been out.  They're on track to break their subscription all time high, actually.

Somewhat related, how many dozens of WoW-clones did it take before WoW itself started to lose some subscribers?

A PVE-only game, space setting or not, wouldn't really be direct competition for EVE.

not to mention the fact that EVE is a sandbox, and a 'single server' game....unlike 99.9% of the other MMOs out there or in development.

So let's say that there's a space mmo coming out.......good fun if you have 50 different servers with 2000 people on it (peak times) and you're playing a themepark.

" The Term, There can be only One is not true, CCP caved to the Chinese Govt. they have there own server. CCP will change with the times and you will see the game go F2p in some form or an opt in or out for Pvp. Folks are only gonna pay a monthly fee for so long and not be happy about it.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

3 space games?

If we have learned one thing from WoW it is that dividing the community through optional, paid, expansions as well as server sharding and levels are a great way to keep millions of subscribers happy.

Besides there was an EVE clone already.  It lacked an incredible amount of combat depth.  Ripped off the UI quite handily though.  I got an email from them recently, but didn't read it, probably because of my Perpetual lack of interest in their clonegame.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

3 space games?

" The Term, There can be only One is not true, CCP caved to the Chinese Govt. they have there own server. CCP will change with the times and you will see the game go F2p in some form or an opt in or out for Pvp. Folks are only gonna pay a monthly fee for so long and not be happy about it.

I have never noticed a way to start subscribing to EVE china on my account page.  I also have never seen a server select screen in EVE, because there isn't one.  Also the Chinese EVE isn't even the same code, it is an expansion or two behind.  Also, the devs usually refer to EVE as a single shard.  Even without EVE China, "single server" would be wildly innacurate.

Also I get enough doomsday prophecies from dead mayans.  I don't need more complete nonsense and stupifying predictions about EVE as well.

I will make a prediction though.  Someday you will stop posting those images.  You will stop it, because you will have died.  When you have finally died, we will be free from the shackles of your off topic images because you still haven't found the signature section of your profile.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    That's what they said about Star Trek Online. And Black Prophecy. And many others before them.

It's very, very unlikely that any game which has only spent a couple of years in development, with a budget of a few million dollars total, is going to completely overshadow a game with (by then) 14 years of continuous development and a total investment well into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

It's much more likely that Star Citizen and the new Elite will take longer to develop, will not have all the "dream" features being trailed now, and by the time they appear, that the EVE we have now will be significantly further developed than the one we have now.

I'm not hating on the Star Citizen team, I'm just saying that even if they wanted to compete head-to-head with EVE (which they don't), that would be a hell of a mountain to climb.

Star Trek Online and Black Prophecy were shitty games. EVE is a good (or at least decent) game. EVE is also a great sandbox. End of that story.

Star Citizen might not be a "true" MMO, but then again that can be said about 90% of the game on this site, which calls itself MMORPG.com. The implementation is the key here. If it feels like an MMO, who cares if all the 300 thousand players are not interconnected all the time? So far, Roberts ideas are in my opinion going to the right direction. We won't see 2000 player battles, but lets be honest, how often do you experience that in EVE anyway?

Of course SC might turn out to be total turd, but let's hope it doesn't. EVE needs serious competition to evolve. It has been all about the same stuff, tweaked over and over again, for almost all of it's current lifespan.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

3 space games?

I have never noticed a way to start subscribing to EVE china on my account page.  I also have never seen a server select screen in EVE, because there isn't one.  Also the Chinese EVE isn't even the same code, it is an expansion or two behind.  Also, the devs usually refer to EVE as a single shard.  Even without EVE China, "single server" would be wildly innacurate.

Also I get enough doomsday prophecies from dead mayans.  I don't need more complete nonsense and stupifying predictions about EVE as well.

I will make a prediction though.  Someday you will stop posting those images.  You will stop it, because you will have died.  When you have finally died, we will be free from the shackles of your off topic images because you still haven't found the signature section of your profile.

You would not be the first to have wished that young lady and you are also correct that one day i will not be here. In the mean time you have a Great Day and smile alittle.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • NoobkilarNoobkilar Member Posts: 175

eVe was and is a great game with alot of great people in it over the years, I meet many and it was a blast. I personally always had 8+ accounts many high skilled players some I never made, some I did. When I got to the point I had 100's of ships to spare, making isk was no real issue UNTIL they stopped the training while non-subbed then it hurt a bit. But myself I made more isk off the darn farmers to leave them alone after constantly killing them with motherships and alt swarms it was better for em to just hand over the fraction loot and pay me to build them ammo.

I told ccp about it tons of times, names times etc. they would ban them one month just for them to return another week later so hell it paid for my titan and free pvp all i had to do was show my face in system and they were like a crackhead in the corner.

Alliances funded my ships and t-2 needs when I ever needed but I rarely lost a ship so I ran around in a pure faction fitted rapier with 3 alts one to jam, one to stop em and one to dps the crap out of them. I had freighters of ships I never even used. Roaming 0.0 all day long in skirmishes I do miss it dearly. but it came a time eVe changed to much for me to like so I sold all my accounts hehe made a fortune off my chars. 20 bucks to make 1500+ yep, I am good.

Sadly I cannot find a game anymore I feel like playing to the extent I did eVe. It is worth a shot and you can be good just takes time. I just feel lost when I login to a char. now and see so much has changed, no officers in the belts to fight over t3 ships etc. *sigh* but in the long run i am glad i sold out when i did as I would not be happy with the game as it is today as I am a old ganker fart and loved small man pvp.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Noobkilar

eVe was and is a great game with alot of great people in it over the years, I meet many and it was a blast. I personally always had 8+ accounts many high skilled players some I never made, some I did. When I got to the point I had 100's of ships to spare, making isk was no real issue UNTIL they stopped the training while non-subbed then it hurt a bit. But myself I made more isk off the darn farmers to leave them alone after constantly killing them with motherships and alt swarms it was better for em to just hand over the fraction loot and pay me to build them ammo.

I told ccp about it tons of times, names times etc. they would ban them one month just for them to return another week later so hell it paid for my titan and free pvp all i had to do was show my face in system and they were like a crackhead in the corner.

Alliances funded my ships and t-2 needs when I ever needed but I rarely lost a ship so I ran around in a pure faction fitted rapier with 3 alts one to jam, one to stop em and one to dps the crap out of them. I had freighters of ships I never even used. Roaming 0.0 all day long in skirmishes I do miss it dearly. but it came a time eVe changed to much for me to like so I sold all my accounts hehe made a fortune off my chars. 20 bucks to make 1500+ yep, I am good.

Sadly I cannot find a game anymore I feel like playing to the extent I did eVe. It is worth a shot and you can be good just takes time. I just feel lost when I login to a char. now and see so much has changed, no officers in the belts to fight over t3 ships etc. *sigh* but in the long run i am glad i sold out when i did as I would not be happy with the game as it is today as I am a old ganker fart and loved small man pvp.

I'm pretty glad that you cannot find a game that you could to that extent. That was and is not healthy, man.

The "fortune" you made I am making in a month by you know, working a day job ;)

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Hazelle
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Hazelle
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Do tell me how a PvE server would destroy EVE.. This should be entertaining.. A PvE seperate of your normal server has NO effect on your gameplay whatsoever.. NONE, ZILTCH..  If you are worried that many players will LEAVE your server to play on a non PvP one that is a different issue all together..  But the mechancis of a PvE server would have NO effect.. In fact I bet it would increase the number of subs.. 

EVE was designed to have a single server, that is how the game is supposed to work and how it works.

PVE server simply makes no sense.

That doesn't answer my question..  EVE currently sits at about 250-300k subs I think on one PvP server.. So if EVE was to start a new PvE server, how does that effect your PvP server of 300k people..... Other then thousands of people defecting to the new server.. Is that what you're truely worried about?  That thousands of PvE minded people that are EASY targets on the PvP server  will leave to a safer playground where ganking and bounties is not available?   Sure sounds like it to me..  So it's not really about saving EVE, as much as it's saving YOUR fun on easy prey?   Lets me honest here..

Your entire premise is faulty - there is no such thing as easy prey in eve online.  Eve is far safer than a game like world of warcraft in terms of being ganked.

There are many factors to consider before you attack a player in eve's high security space and most of them are based on risk Vs. reward or potencial gain vs. expected loss; which oddly enough, are the exact same factors that all players consider before they leave a station and embark on any activity.

It's not necessary for a PvE server since there are controls in place to prevent a mass murdering serial killer that don't exist in typical PvE games.

Odd... Then the Goonies must operate on a differenht "risk vs reward" system... ^^ Given their hulk smashing sprees in high sec, and other antics, its not nearly as safe as one of WoW's PvE servers... ^^ 

I've never met one and if I was in a hulk I'd be aligned and at the keyboard... which means that if i don't want to pew pew with that scarey goon of yours I don't have to but it would be interesting to have that happen because normally I didn't see anything but other boring old hulks, but then I wouldn't be in a hulk - I'd be in a CNR running missions and a pretty boring fitted one at that so I'd probably not be a target.  Odd isn't it?  I'd share space with the terrible goons of yours and they'd not attack me at all.

How about you go flag yourself and stand outside a popular hub in wow and see how many times you're ganked and see what you can do to avoid it except not flagging yourself?  Did you know that a flagging system is a part of wows PvE servers?

Much safer in eve online.

that's one of the top 5 nonsences I've heard :D

EVE online is known for hostile enviroment... You can't trust anyone there. Even if you're mining in the high sectors (0.9 or more) you can't be safe there as well... There's always someone who's already scanning you and waits to see if you are alone there so he can nuke you fast and get out with the loot...

Whenever I went mining I always had 2 friends watching my back (usually in mid sectors). In low sectors there were even more than 3 sometimes, depending what we were mining and how many of us went... But the chances are wherever you are in the EVE universe, someone already scanned you and is heading your way to nuke your ass.

High security space can't stop a player who knows how to do a quick nuke and where to start from... While I was still playing EVE, I saw people reporting alot of high sec ganks and it's was not so odd to see somoene being killed in high-sec sector. You always have to be careful in eve...

Please, don't emberass yourself further by comparing EVE to WOW open world PVP. xD

I played off and on for 5 years and much of that time was mining and I never one lost a ship.

Not once did I lose a ship in your "hostile" game.

Your perception of eve is different from my reality of eve, but then you'd have to actually play eve online to understand that and your post suggests that you never have since you don't need people to watch your back - you just need to watch local.

• Pin_CushionPin_Cushion Member UncommonPosts: 38

Actively mining in an out of the way system, and warping off if someone you don't know lands on grid (especially in a combat ship) = Safe, Cozy Snoozefest

AFK mining in a crowded, bot-infested, high-traffic system = "Gank Me Please"

Never lost a single ship while mining.  Mining is incredibly safe.  It just isn't completely safe.  Rule 1 of EvE isn't "Don't Trust Anyone."  Rule 1 is "Don't Trust EVERYONE!"  It's why people lock their doors, even though they trust their neighbors.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Wow this debate is still going on and I see the only ones vouching for F2P or PvE servers are those who have not played EVE or have no clue how the economy in it works.

Of course no one of us knows what would happen to EVE if it went F2P or introduced a PvE server. I would, however, wager some money that it would ultimately lose CCP more money than it would bring.

You may disagree, but at least my opinion is based on actually playing EVE.

Having played the game for almost 6 years, I'd have to state that I seriously doubt that EVE will ever have a PvE server.  It conflicts with CCP's one universe ideology, and also the fact that they are hard core PvP types.  The only exception has been the Chinese cluster (and that for obvious reasons...). 

But the fact remains that it would be entirely possible to run a game like EVE in terms of PvE. The graphics, missions and collecting battleships kept me busy for almost 6 years.  But again, I doubt its ever going to happen. 

In 6 years of play, how many mission ships have you lost due to unwanted PvP?  Let's be realistic, it's very easy to avoid PvP in high sec if you know what you're doing.  I feel no sympathy for players who insist on running missions in their faction fit CNR while their corp is war decced and there's reds in system.

Zero. I never left high sec, and I was only attacked twice in all that time. Each time by some nut case who attacked one of my battleships (Raven, Rokh) in a frig, in high sec, and was nuked by Concord.  As I've mentioned, one of my hobbies was collecting battleships. The vast majority of which stayed docked.  They are too damn expensive to risk.  But I have some great screen shots from that time. ^^ I stayed with SWA because NPC corps can't be war dec'ed.

Yeah, don't think I've ever been ganked either in hisec except one time where I was dumb and fired back on a can flipper in a mission, and then his friends showed up. I remember one time I was sitting outside the Jita station in an empty hauler and some dude in a frigate started firing on me (my corp wasn't at war at the time). Suffice to say, he came down with a serious case of CONCORDOKKEN, and I was thinking "WTF are you doing you twit?" He barely made a dent in my shields.

If you play your cards right hisec is quite safe. Just pay attention to what is going on.

Where's the any key?

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Wow this debate is still going on and I see the only ones vouching for F2P or PvE servers are those who have not played EVE or have no clue how the economy in it works.

Of course no one of us knows what would happen to EVE if it went F2P or introduced a PvE server. I would, however, wager some money that it would ultimately lose CCP more money than it would bring.

Having played the game for almost 6 years, I'd have to state that I seriously doubt that EVE will ever have a PvE server.  It conflicts with CCP's one universe ideology, and also the fact that they are hard core PvP types.  The only exception has been the Chinese cluster (and that for obvious reasons...). 

But the fact remains that it would be entirely possible to run a game like EVE in terms of PvE. The graphics, missions and collecting battleships kept me busy for almost 6 years.  But again, I doubt its ever going to happen. 

In 6 years of play, how many mission ships have you lost due to unwanted PvP?  Let's be realistic, it's very easy to avoid PvP in high sec if you know what you're doing.  I feel no sympathy for players who insist on running missions in their faction fit CNR while their corp is war decced and there's reds in system.

Zero. I never left high sec, and I was only attacked twice in all that time. Each time by some nut case who attacked one of my battleships (Raven, Rokh) in a frig, in high sec, and was nuked by Concord.  As I've mentioned, one of my hobbies was collecting battleships. The vast majority of which stayed docked.  They are too damn expensive to risk.  But I have some great screen shots from that time. ^^ I stayed with SWA because NPC corps can't be war dec'ed.

Then I don't see why you would want a PvE server?  You're happy running missions in high sec, others are happy killing each other in low sec and null sec.  A PvE server is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Then I don't see why you would want a PvE server?  You're happy running missions in high sec, others are happy killing each other in low sec and null sec.  A PvE server is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I wasn't the one who wanted a PvE server... ^^ I've also stated that its not practical and that its HIGHLY unlikely given CCP's rabid pro PvP slant. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."