Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO Winter Event

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

As with most games, STO will be having a Winter seasonal event againt this year.  It builds on the Q inspired event of last year.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=772651

Some of the details of the event, like the snowman threat, and "The Fast And the Flurrious" race, are identified here:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=774311

The rewards for the event can be found here: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=775821

Some pretty cool stuff in there.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Rohn

As with most games, STO will be having a Winter seasonal event againt this year.  It builds on the Q inspired event of last year.

Some of the details of the event, like the snowman threat, and "The Fast And the Flurrious" race, are identified here:

The rewards for the event can be found here: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=775821

Running the same content for 25 days to get a ship if you want it.... nice.  Glad to see Cryptic/PWE doing something to lessen the already enormous grind in the game.  

Oh wait...

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by ShardWarrior

Running the same content for 25 days to get a ship if you want it.... nice.  Glad to see Cryptic/PWE doing something to lessen the already enormous grind in the game.  

Oh wait...

Yes, it would be far better if everything was gained almost instantly.  Instant gratification has been such a successful concept as it regards MMO design.

Oh, wait....

I've seen people complain about STO when things came "too fast", and people complain when things take "too long".  It's impossible to please everyone, though there are those that are going to complain no matter what they do, which is just dishonest.

But yes, it's a horrible thing to have people actually have to play the game to earn the new ship.  Just horrible.  Of course, if they had just put it in the C-Store, people would have bitched about "greed", right?

By the way, they added the stats on the Breen Warship, which is one of the things players can earn during the Winter Event:

"The Breen Chel Grett Warship comes with an Energy Dissipator console which fires a targetable Energy Dissipating Blast that causes significant subsystem drain and has a chance to knock a single subsystem offline for a short duration. The Energy Dissipator can be equipped in any console slot on any Breen ship.

• Rank Required: Rear Admiral / Brigadier General
    • Hull Strength: 36,000
    • Shield Modifier: 1
    • Crew: 650
    • Weapons: 4 Fore, 4 Aft
    • Device Slots: 3
    • Bridge Officer Stations: 1 Lieutenant Tactical, 1 Commander Tactical, 1 Lieutenant Engineering, 1 Lieutenant Commander Science, 1 Ensign Universal
    • Console Modifications: 4 Tactical, 3 Engineering, 3 Science
    • Base Turn Rate: 13 degrees per second
    • Impulse Modifier: 0.18
    • +10 Power to Weapons; +5 Power to Engines
    • Can Load Cannons
    • Breen Energy Dissipator Universal Console

NOTE: The above stats are subject to change. The box that the ship comes in, which cannot be opened until the minimum rank listed above, is bound upon pickup."

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=777921

Originally posted by Rohn Yes, it would be far better if everything was gained almost instantly.  Instant gratification has been such a successful concept as it regards MMO design.

Never said anything of the sort. What I (and most all others who point out this very same issue) do object to is the mind numbing, repetitive grind of stupidly trivial things and idiotic content block timers, like running the silly winter race once a day for 25 days. That is a complete lack of imagination and a recycling of what has been done already.

What would be nice? Episodic story content for a (still after nearly 3 years) content starved game. Give the ship as a reward for an actual Star Trek mission instead of Q pretends to be Santa while standing there next to Ferengi Yoda and his lightsabers. This is, yet again, another fine example of the lack of care and creativity going into all Cryptic games.

But yes, it's a horrible thing to have people actually have to play the game to earn the new ship.  Just horrible.

No, it is not horrible for people to play the game. What is horrible is the lack of anything meaningful to do. What we are given is silly, boring, repetitive and unimaginative. I do give them kudos for not actually inventing yet another lockbox. for it.

Of course, if they had just put it in the C-Store, people would have bitched about "greed", right?

I would not have. The C-Store is for those who want to go the instant gratification route. Those who did not want to plunk down the cash for it could always spam the space bar until their eyes bleed doing the same repetitive content over and over until they earned it in game.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I hate grinding, don't like Breen, and if I see Q I feel the urge to smack him all around in his winter wonderland :)

But

that ship really looks great... maybe I'll try some ice skating this weekend to check the magnitude of needed grind. At least there are no new lockboxes introduced for the winter.

Originally posted by Rohn Yes, it would be far better if everything was gained almost instantly.  Instant gratification has been such a successful concept as it regards MMO design.

Never said anything of the sort. What I (and most all others who point out this very same issue) do object to is the mind numbing, repetitive grind of stupidly trivial things and idiotic content block timers, like running the silly winter race once a day for 25 days. That is a complete lack of imagination and a recycling of what has been done already.

What would be nice? Episodic story content for a (still after nearly 3 years) content starved game. Give the ship as a reward for an actual Star Trek mission instead of Q pretends to be Santa while standing there next to Ferengi Yoda and his lightsabers. This is, yet again, another fine example of the lack of care and creativity going into all Cryptic games.

Memories are short, it seems.  One need only go back about 3 years on this very forum, to find the legion of criticism about "this game levels too quickly".  It's really easy to find, because it was a common complaint.  And, it's a complaint that almost every themepark has been criticized for in the last 8 years.

Regarding the predictable pejoratives - "mind numbing", "repetitive grind of stupidly trivial things".  As anyone that's played a themepark MMO circa 2012 knows, "grind" is a purely subjective concept.  One person's grind, is another person's sense of accomplishment.

I agree to a point about episodic content - I'd like more as well.  But, unless you haven't been paying attention to current events, most people are finally realizing that focusing on "story" in an MMO gives a poor return on investment (see SWTOR). What takes a game company weeks or months to program is devoured by content locusts in hours, and they are back on whatever forum that'll have them, bitching about a lack of things to do.  I believe that's why STO has been developing content of a different nature: a lot of customization, the Duty Officer system, Fleet Advancement, Personal Advancement, etc.  They've focued more on long term systems than easily consumed story content.

But yes, it's a horrible thing to have people actually have to play the game to earn the new ship.  Just horrible.

No, it is not horrible for people to play the game. What is horrible is the lack of anything meaningful to do. What we are given is silly, boring, repetitive and unimaginative. I do give them kudos for not actually inventing yet another lockbox. for it.

Again, what people find "meaningful" in an MMO is 100% subjective.  No player gets to define it for another.

Of course, if they had just put it in the C-Store, people would have bitched about "greed", right?

I would not have. The C-Store is for those who want to go the instant gratification route. Those who did not want to plunk down the cash for it could always spam the space bar until their eyes bleed doing the same repetitive content over and over until they earned it in game.

Funny, because I keep seeing the same propaganda repeated:  "Everything's about the C-Store.  They never produce anything else other than C-Store content.  They only develop C-Store stuff...."

But, this content, like the rest of Season 7 content, isn't being sold in the C-Store.  How can that be???

If people want the ship, and it has "meaning" to them, they can earn it by doing the event.

Answers in red.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    You have to admit, they have created way more C-Store stuff than Klingon content.  And each "season" has less content than other games expansions. Adding 4 new missions and a bunch of stuff to the C-Store is hardly a bunch of content.  You can defend the game all you want but the FACT is, it did so poorly it had to go F2P.  Has the game improved, yes.  But have some aspects of the game gotten worse, like lockboxes and all the pay-2-win consoles on c-store ships, yes.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Hey if you want to defend the practice of recycling old content over and over, more power to you.   You will find even the most hard core defenders of the game crying boredom and remarking about the reptetive grind on the official forums.

While it may be true some feel episodic content provides poor ROI, what you have here in STO is the polar opposite.  Here, Cryptic/PWE has gone out of their way of crapping lockbox after lockbox after lockbox to generate more money while letting the content suffer.

Originally posted by Talonsin
    You have to admit, they have created way more C-Store stuff than Klingon content.  And each "season" has less content than other games expansions. Adding 4 new missions and a bunch of stuff to the C-Store is hardly a bunch of content.  You can defend the game all you want but the FACT is, it did so poorly it had to go F2P.  Has the game improved, yes.  But have some aspects of the game gotten worse, like lockboxes and all the pay-2-win consoles on c-store ships, yes.

While they haven't created more Klingon-specific content, the content they have created with the Seasons is playable by both Feds and Klinks.  In that sense, it's a lot more than what's been put in the C-Store.

Klingons have access to the Winter Event content, just as they can build starbases, use the personal advancement system, the DOFF system, etc.

Again, I'm not a big fan of lockboxes in any game, but I'm also not a fan of people telling others what they can do with their money.  It's funny that people are going all Carrie Nation on them.

Then again, the Winter Event doesn't add a lockbox to the game.  It's playable content.

While they haven't created more Klingon-specific content, the content they have created with the Seasons is playable by both Feds and Klinks.  In that sense, it's a lot more than what's been put in the C-Store.

Adding re-skinned "universal" missions does nothing to advance the story of the Klingon faction, nor does it by any stretch of the imagination double the content that did get put into the game. It is nothing more than laziness to avoid truly fleshing out the Klingon story.

Hey if you want to defend the practice of recycling old content over and over, more power to you.   You will find even the most hard core defenders of the game crying boredom and remarking about the reptetive grind on the official forums.

While it may be true some feel episodic content provides poor ROI, what you have here in STO is the polar opposite.  Here, Cryptic/PWE has gone out of their way of crapping lockbox after lockbox after lockbox to generate more money while letting the content suffer.

It's interesting to note that critics repeatedly bring up lockboxes, and have been trying to sell the idea that "the only content Cryptic makes are lockboxes or items for the C-Store.

Yet, the Winter Event, with the additional content added to last year's, does not come in a lockbox, nor is it sold in the C-Store.  It's free and accessible to all players.  The Breen Warship is also free and earnable by all players - no lockbox, no C-Store.

This is just one small example that points out the dishonesty of the message commonly found here.

This is just one small example that points out the dishonesty of the message commonly found here.

How do you figure? And who is being dishonest? Please link to any post you can find here where I expressly state "Cryptic makes absolutely NO CONTENT at all OTHER THAN lockboxes or C-Store items." No amount of fairy dust sprinkling or wishful thinking is going to make such a post magically appear.

The winter event is ok, but it is mostly a rehash of what was done for the past 2 years. Honestly, it adds little more than a few minutes of grind to an already grind saturated game.

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

It's Perfect World. Grind is their bread and butter.

Can't wait to see the tears of Neverwinter fans who are dumb enough to play that game when it comes out.

"Grind" is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll take long-term systems over instant gratification every day of the week.

It's Perfect World. Grind is their bread and butter.

Can't wait to see the tears of Neverwinter fans who are dumb enough to play that game when it comes out.

"Grind" is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll take long-term systems over instant gratification every day of the week.

Doing the same quest over and over for 25 days is not a "long term system". It's lazy ass devs who didn't feel like working and just said "Let them grind for it.".

It's a seasonal event that's actually pretty easy to do, and gives players another thing to do in the game.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    The event in question takes less than 5 minutes to run.  Not much of a grind to the people complaining about it.

Doing the same quest over and over for 25 days is not a "long term system". It's lazy ass devs who didn't feel like working and just said "Let them grind for it.".

This. 100% this.

Originally posted by Draemos

The event in question takes less than 5 minutes to run.  Not much of a grind to the people complaining about it.

You neglected to mention that it is 25 runs per character you would want the ship rewardfor. So if you have half a dozen characters you want the reward for, that is 6 x (5 x 25) = 750 minutes which equals 12 1/2 hours of the same menial task over and over again. At what point does it become boring?

Sure, if you want to run the race a couple of times it is ok, but if you want to do it for the reward on several characters - as most all people I know do - this is a mind numbing, repetitive grind and utterly boring. But it is to be expected since repetitive, boring tasks are the Cryptic/PWE idea of "long term systems".

[mod edit]

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

The winter event has plenty of content that is not lockboxes, but it strongly pushes them anyway.

Consider: to get the xmas trinkets (bells, candles,etc) that can be turned in for rewards, you can 1. dig in snowball piles (very low chance) 2. kill snowmen every 30 minutes. Both of these methods are very slow.

Or, you can get them much more efficiently using lobu crystals, which come from lockboxes.

BTW, best rewards are snow guns and frosted boots :)

You neglected to mention that it is 25 runs per character you would want the ship rewardfor. So if you have half a dozen characters you want the reward for, that is 6 x (5 x 25) = 750 minutes which equals 12 1/2 hours of the same menial task over and over again. At what point does it become boring?

Funniest thing I've seen here is a while.

So, to make the "hellish" grind actually sound bad, you ran the numbers for 6 characters.  Hey, why not run it for 100 characters - that would make it sound even worse....  LOL

From start to finish - taking the mission, talking to the race official, running the race, and turning it in - the entire process takes less than two and a half minutes to complete.

That means the "arduous" grind for a character to earn the ship would take about an hour total time, spread out over 25 days.  Yeah, that's a horrible grind....  image

In the realm of grind in MMOs, that's nothing.  It's actually really easy.  Again, the "grind" is blown completely out of proportion.

The instant gratification mentality has just been KILLING the MMO genre.

Nowhere near as funny (or more accurately, sad) as the blind faith and loyalty of the Cryptic/PWE supporter. It is truly sad to see folks out there who take any scrap of what can barely be called "content" and cry "more please!"

So, to make the "hellish" grind actually sound bad, you ran the numbers for 6 characters.

Yes, I did. I happen to have 4 Federation VA's and 2 Klingon LGs. I am most certainly not the only person with several alts as I know several people myself who have even more than that. Guess what? It is still a boring, repetitive task, even with just 1 character. Fairy dust and wishful thinking does not change that.

From start to finish - taking the mission, talking to the race official, running the race, and turning it in - the entire process takes less than two and a half minutes. That means the "arduous" grind for a character to earn the ship would take about an hour total time, spread out over 25 days.  Yeah, that's a horrible grind....

You seem to be missing the whole point. Repetition = boring.

I am still waiting on you showing a post I made where I expressly said otherwise. Ignoring what many have asked for - EPISODIC CONTENT - instead of silly snowball fights and races is not going to make it go away. Add these kinds of things as EPISODE/QUEST rewards, not rewards for how long you can sit in front of a computer pressing W A S D until your eyes bleed.

Nowhere near as funny (or more accurately, sad) as the blind faith and loyalty of the Cryptic/PWE supporter. It is truly sad to see folks out there who take any scrap of what can barely be called "content" and cry "more please!"

So, to make the "hellish" grind actually sound bad, you ran the numbers for 6 characters.

Yes, I did. I happen to have 4 Federation VA's and 2 Klingon LGs. I am most certainly not the only person with several alts as I know several people myself who have even more than that. Guess what? It is still a boring, repetitive task, even with just 1 character. Fairy dust and wishful thinking does not change that.

From start to finish - taking the mission, talking to the race official, running the race, and turning it in - the entire process takes less than two and a half minutes. That means the "arduous" grind for a character to earn the ship would take about an hour total time, spread out over 25 days.  Yeah, that's a horrible grind....

You seem to be missing the whole point. Repetition = boring.

I am still waiting on you showing a post I made where I expressly said otherwise. Ignoring what many have asked for - EPISODIC CONTENT - instead of silly snowball fights and races is not going to make it go away. Add these kinds of things as EPISODE/QUEST rewards, not rewards for how long you can sit in front of a computer pressing W A S D until your eyes bleed.

Doing anything in any MMO with 6 different characters is going to be repetitive.  Good lord.  image

Doing the same story content six different times would also get repetitive.

The fact remains that getting the ship isn't a grind, especially when compared to grinds in other games.  It's actually pretty easy.  The "grind" is exaggerated.

That some players would do it with 6 different characters demonstrates that's it's not that hard, and that the goal is worth acheiving.

Doing anything in any MMO with 6 different characters is going to be repetitive.  Good lord.   Doing the same story content six different times would also get repetitive.

<facepalm>....

Story content where there are numerous places to go, things to do and NPCs to talk to is preferable to running a silly, childish and lazily developed recycled content race.

The fact remains that getting the ship isn't a grind, especially when compared to grinds in other games.  It's actually pretty easy.  The "grind" is exaggerated.

The BOREDOM and TEDIOUSNESS are not exaggerated. Nice try though. :)

That some players would do it with 6 different characters demonstrates that's it's not that hard, and that the goal is worth acheiving.

More likely it demonstrates stupidity. Again, some people will ask for "more please! more!" from whatever scraps they are tossed.

Still waiting on you to find that post. :)

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    I'm guessing that the better versions of the breen ship will be available from the c store in a month or so(same as last time).

Doing anything in any MMO with 6 different characters is going to be repetitive.  Good lord.   Doing the same story content six different times would also get repetitive.

Story content where there are numerous places to go, things to do and NPCs to talk to is preferable to running a silly, childish and lazily developed recycled content race.

Going to the same places, doing the same things, talking to the same NPCs.  Story, done six different times, is just as tedious and repetitive as anything else.

Getting the ship is actually pretty easy.  About an hour total time for a single character.  Not really a "grind".

Going to the same places, doing the same things, talking to the same NPCs.  Story, done six different times, is just as tedious and repetitive as anything else.

Actually, no it isn't. Have you played any of the FE's at all?

Getting the ship is actually pretty easy.

No one said otherwise. People have said it is tedious, repetitive, boring and silly, which happens to be true. Nice try though. :)

Originally posted by Karahandras
    I'm guessing that the better versions of the breen ship will be available from the c store in a month or so(same as last time).

I am not sure.  I would bet it will be in a Breen Lockbox though.  Cryptic/PWE will make way more money on it being in a lockbox vs. just adding the ship to the C-Store.  Why charge 1,000+ ZEN for a ship when they can sucker people into spending 10,000 ZEN (ormore) on lockboxes for the chance to get the ship?