Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 voted top video game of 2012

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by asmkm22

In terms of sales, GW2 isn't doing so hot.  Not bad, but not nearly as well as compared to games like Diablo 3.

based on what?

D3 had  outstanding aunch sales and seems to have fizzled after its first month (May/June)

and no other PC game in *history* came close to Diablo3 launch month sales

I cannot prove anything

but I think its reasonable to believe that GW2 is outselling D3 for continual sales

I dont mean overall sales,  I mean ongoing sales if you were to look at November 2012 and December 2012

Total sales are all that matters here.  In another year, I can revise my opinion on that based on new data, but for now, all we can go on is the total.

The most accurate numbers out are 6.8M for Diablo 3 (as of July when the last figures were released) and "over 2M" as of mid September for Guild Wars 2.

In both cases, the numbers likely haven't moved up much more than that.  Companies tend to send out press releases and such when they hit new milestones, especially with game sales.  We'll hear from ANet when they top 3M, and we'll here from Blizzard when they top 7 or 8M.

Again, next year, I may be singing a different tune.  But right now, sales numbers are in Blizzard's favor.  One interesting thing to keep track of is how active the games stay, rather than the sales, since neither requires a subscription.  Currently, both have nearly identical xFire numbers, giving GW2 the advantage there (higher percentage of active players to total units sold).  We'll see how it looks in 6 to 8 months.

You make me like charity

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

2012 hasn't really been a great year for releases, so I'm not sure there's much pride to be taken from one site nominating it.  There were a few big name sequals, but most felt like more of the same.  That's not bad, just not the kind of thing you have make lists like this.

In terms of sales, GW2 isn't doing so hot.  Not bad, but not nearly as well as compared to games like Diablo 3.  There has also been a large falling out of the community with GW2, mainly due to the overhype and fanboi/hater dynamic that happens with these games.  I'm sure GW2 will continue to do very well, but I expect it to remain as relevant in the industry as the first one was.  A solid game for people who like the B2P model and gameplay, but not the industry changer anyone expected.

And, like someone else said, SWtOR was nominated for many of these kinds of awards last year and we all know how that ended up.

The game is doing well, or seems to be. I can't prove my case you can't prove yours. It has more to do with real vs. personal expectations. GW2 has done a few things different and this will impact some of the industry. I wasn't happy with some of the things left out of the game - GvG, Guild Halls, etc. But it happens.

Trion and Rift will do the same by continually putting out content that keeps players.

There were some things that SWTOR did well - the voice acting and the cut scenes but, it did not have a good storyline.

The game industry CAN learn from these - just remember -  "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it"  - Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by botrytis

2012 hasn't really been a great year for releases, so I'm not sure there's much pride to be taken from one site nominating it.  There were a few big name sequals, but most felt like more of the same.  That's not bad, just not the kind of thing you have make lists like this.

In terms of sales, GW2 isn't doing so hot.  Not bad, but not nearly as well as compared to games like Diablo 3.  There has also been a large falling out of the community with GW2, mainly due to the overhype and fanboi/hater dynamic that happens with these games.  I'm sure GW2 will continue to do very well, but I expect it to remain as relevant in the industry as the first one was.  A solid game for people who like the B2P model and gameplay, but not the industry changer anyone expected.

And, like someone else said, SWtOR was nominated for many of these kinds of awards last year and we all know how that ended up.

The game is doing well, or seems to be. I can't prove my case you can't prove yours. It has more to do with real vs. personal expectations. GW2 has done a few things different and this will impact some of the industry. I wasn't happy with some of the things left out of the game - GvG, Guild Halls, etc. But it happens.

Trion and Rift will do the same by continually putting out content that keeps players.

There were some things that SWTOR did well - the voice acting and the cut scenes but, it did not have a good storyline.

The game industry CAN learn from these - just remember -  "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it"  - Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás

I think the key word here is was.  GW2 was doing well.  From the initial launch, it is easy to see the drop in general players.   I think they are still declining but it's a much less sharp one.

It's been a very weird year for the MMO genre as a whole.

Here, on one hand, you had one of the biggest IPs in an P2P MMO lose a huge portion of its playerbase and drop to F2P.

On the other,  you had a smaller IP and studio release a universally praised B2P MMO.  One would think due to the lack of a sub, the sales numbers would have been higher than last reported. 

But it seems like the payment model isn't really factoring in to keeping player retention.

Hopefully this coming year will shed more light on where this genre is actually headed.

I think that's an important thing to keep in mind.  Games don't need to break records to have a loyal following and fun gameplay.  Trion is one of the rare companies that seems content with financial mediocrity, and I mean that in a positive way.  They're subscription base isn't very high, but it's high enough to make a profit.  They have a solid, dedicated team of devs constantly tweaking the game so it doesn't just languish in a half-broken or feature-missing state for years like nearly every other game not made by Blizzard.

You make me like charity

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by asmkm22    We'll see how it looks in 6 to 8 months.

i agree :)

I think that's an important thing to keep in mind.  Games don't need to break records to have a loyal following and fun gameplay.  Trion is one of the rare companies that seems content with financial mediocrity, and I mean that in a positive way.  They're subscription base isn't very high, but it's high enough to make a profit.  They have a solid, dedicated team of devs constantly tweaking the game so it doesn't just languish in a half-broken or feature-missing state for years like nearly every other game not made by Blizzard.

The sooner these developers stop chasing the WoW numbers, the better.  That kind of success in an MMO is not feasible right now.  At least for the foreseeable future.   Niche is where its at.  And there is plenty of room for that. 

Originally posted by grimal

I think the key word here is was.  GW2 was doing well.  From the initial launch, it is easy to see the drop in general players.   I think they are still declining but it's a much less sharp one.

Here, on one hand, you had one of the biggest IPs in an P2P MMO lose a huge portion of its playerbase and drop to F2P.

On the other,  you had a smaller IP and studio release a universally praised B2P MMO.  One would think due to the lack of a sub, the sales numbers would have been higher than last reported. 

But it seems like the payment model isn't really factoring in to keeping player retention.

Hopefully this coming year will shed more light on where this genre is actually headed.

I have a feeling it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better, just due to the long development cycle of an MMO.  The stuff we're seeing released now got started 2 to 4 years ago, which is reflected by the game designs.  AAA studios that are developing one are being faced with the choice of either contuing with the original, outdated game design or trying to change direction towards where they THINK players will be in the next few years.  Instead, a lot are just going with option A but with a cash shop and low/no sub fee just hoping to make a return on their investment.

The indie dev's can pump out games a lot faster without the publisher interference, but I think the every one of these hipster sandbox bandwagon attempts will result in half-finished games that ultimately disappoint everyone, one after another.

Once we get out of this genre funk, probably when WoW subs drop off significanty (or the game finishes it's weird metamorphisis into some ultra-casual game aimed at the children of the original players), we'll probably see something pretty solid get released to the level of success that WoW had/has.  It's going to be roughly a year or two after the next generation of consoles hit the market though.

You make me like charity

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by grimal

I have a feeling it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better, just due to the long development cycle of an MMO.  The stuff we're seeing released now got started 2 to 4 years ago, which is reflected by the game designs.  AAA studios that are developing one are being faced with the choice of either contuing with the original, outdated game design or trying to change direction towards where they THINK players will be in the next few years.  Instead, a lot are just going with option A but with a cash shop and low/no sub fee just hoping to make a return on their investment.

The indie dev's can pump out games a lot faster without the publisher interference, but I think the every one of these hipster sandbox bandwagon attempts will result in half-finished games that ultimately disappoint everyone, one after another.

Once we get out of this genre funk, probably when WoW subs drop off significanty (or the game finishes it's weird metamorphisis into some ultra-casual game aimed at the children of the original players), we'll probably see something pretty solid get released to the level of success that WoW had/has.  It's going to be roughly a year or two after the next generation of consoles hit the market though.

GW2 was announced 5-6 years ago. I agree it is a very long cycle. People that keep saying ' we want worlds!' - that would even be a longer development. Look how long the movie Avatar took to make. A game is that much more intensive because you are interacting in the world not just observing it.

I say let the game companies make their vision. I applaud TSW for the idea of the game - it was so unique but was dissappointed by the game play. Let's see how they play out rather than just jumping on top of the dogpile.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Didn't SWTOR win a bunch of awards last year?

yep. Best evidence that any kinds of "awards" and GOTY lists are meaningless and most likely paid off from the marketing budget.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Good for them and well deserved IMO. While the game lacked in longevity, I spent much more time in GW2 than I did in any other game in a long long time. I still play it from time to time so I shouldn't speak in past tense. All sales numbers and comparison to game X aside, the game is pretty fun and I hope they flesh out some of the games shortcomings in the future. With the jaded comunity that lurks around here, no game will ever live up to the accolades it gets and anytime a game does get some recognition it turns into a conspiracy and the awards must have been bought off by the games receiving them. When that fails, just go to plan B and attack the credibility of the group giving out the awards and speak like we are better suited to pass these judgements. Welcome to MMORPG.com..........

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Didn't SWTOR win a bunch of awards last year?

yep. Best evidence that any kinds of "awards" and GOTY lists are meaningless and most likely paid off from the marketing budget.

case and point........  :(

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Well deserved award. It is the best video game of 2012.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

In terms of sales, GW2 isn't doing so hot.  Not bad, but not nearly as well as compared to games like Diablo 3.

I don't know where you get your information from, but GW2 is still the top selling MMORPG on Amazon, and the boxed version is still in the top 5 PC games sales too there. And that's only the boxed version, and only on Amazon.

[mod edit]
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• arobiarobi Member UncommonPosts: 124

IMO this is the best mmo on the market hands down. TY anet for breaking the mold and almost forcing other devs to innovate more with your success. Alot of haters and naysayers should be eating humble pie if not now just wait for what anet has instore for this masterpiece in the coming years. The future is bright!

... To those that got a refund well after release you did not deserve it imo. But the fact that anet is giving out refunds still to this day for jaded players speaks volumes.

They dont need your money! Sure they would like it but guess what when a game is this good it stands on its own. This is just the beginning if they can launch with the game as good as it is now then expansions are only gonna make it better.

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I don't know where you get your information from, but GW2 is still the top selling MMORPG on Amazon, and the boxed version is still in the top 5 PC games sales too there. And that's only the boxed version, and only on Amazon.

Don't confuse what you think (or hope) is happening and reality.

Dang, I must resist quoting Icewhite's post again now...

I wouldn't put too much stock into those Amazon rankings.   Star Wars the Old Republic is sitting at #33 for PC games, 2 ranks above the #35 entry for GW2 gem cards.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Damn, I didn't know that what the MMO community wanted all this time was to fill out checkpoints on a map.  GW2 really did a good job on map filling out.

I get my information from company press releases and official comments.

Diablo 3 :  6.8M as of July (latest official figures)

Guild Wars 2 : 2M as of Sep (latest offically verified figures) 

Those numbers don't have to be perfect to see that Diablo 3 is doing significantly better than GW2.  I'm not saying this to bash GW2 or anything and, as I explained in other posts, it's not the end all be all of how well a game is doing (I posted some xFire numbers that were in favor of GW2 later).

So stop assuming that anything negative I say about GW2 must mean I'm simply imposing my opinion on the matter.

You make me like charity

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hardly any sod after your convenient July date when word got around that d3 was shite
  • WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Those numbers don't have to be perfect to see that Diablo 3 is doing significantly better than GW2.  I'm not saying this to bash GW2 or anything and, as I explained in other posts, it's not the end all be all of how well a game is doing (I posted some xFire numbers that were in favor of GW2 later).

So stop assuming that anything negative I say about GW2 must mean I'm simply imposing my opinion on the matter.

Lol are you seriously comparing gw2 to dablo 3, not even Wow, or Sc2 sold that amount in retail in the period of time that diablo 3 did. In fact that 's more than the majority of multiplat releases. Your basically comparing it to the one the best selling probably currently ever in that period of time PC release. It's like comparing borderlands or even halo 4 to call of duty. They're not in the same ball park and that's not a bad thing as they are still successful,

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Warband

Lol are you seriously comparing gw2 to dablo 3, not even Wow, or Sc2 sold that amount in retail in the period of time that diablo 3 did. In fact that 's more than the majority of multiplat releases. Your basically comparing it to the one the best selling probably currently ever in that period of time PC release. It's like comparing borderlands or even halo 4 to call of duty. They're not in the same ball park and that's not a bad thing as they are still successful,

Uh, last I checked, this is about the top game of 2012, and diablo 3 is a game and it was released in 2012 right?

This award is a total joke, and any of you that think GW2 deserves it are out of your freakin minds.  Yes, it's possible to like the game, to think it's good, and NOT be completely delusional in thinking it's the top game... fark.

• VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72
    last i checked this thread was called : GW2 voted top video game of 2012  ... its from the gaming magazine powerhouse Time. Grats on that....  you beat out little big planet. Have fun with it.  The threads on why GW2 is better than WoW clones are  -----> that way.  I prefer gaming focused websites for my info.

Lol at all the people thinking I've been ragging on GW2 here without actually reading my other posts...

You make me like charity

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I'd put it in the top 10, maybe even the top 5, just not the number one position.. that said, the whole list is kind of random.  It's like the mainstream is catching on to the popularity of video games, but they're still pretty awkward about it.  They're taking gaming more seriously, but not actually taking it seriously, yet.

It's like making a top-10 list of movies.  Why doesn't Time do that?  Because it's so largely a matter of preference and personal taste.  Especially when you're trying to lump all genres together.  It's just a silly thing to do, all around.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Warband

Uh, last I checked, this is about the top game of 2012, and diablo 3 is a game and it was released in 2012 right?

This award is a total joke, and any of you that think GW2 deserves it are out of your freakin minds.  Yes, it's possible to like the game, to think it's good, and NOT be completely delusional in thinking it's the top game... fark.

Interesting

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Just got done watching the VGA's and Guild Wars 2 was not even mentioned.