Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 voted top video game of 2012

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    All things considered, Game of the Year awards are like good attendance records.

just because you dont agree doesn't mean it doesn't deserve the honor.

In our opinion then, 'award' of the year is like that then? I don't believe that.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Besides the fact that this "Techland" is hardly a reference and source for any valid judgement (first time I've ever heard of it), I just saw some random game called "Xenoblade" is second on the list, heh. 

Call me mainstreamer, but I'll wait for IGN's real GOTY lists.

i agree IGN is a better judge for gaming lists

but TIME has been doing end of year top 10 lists for video games for several years

Minecraft was their #1 choice last year (Skyrim was also in the list)

The list was pretty decent. Xenoblade actually deserved first, best RPG I have played in a fair while. The fact that Alber_gamer hasn't heard of it doesn't make it any less of a quality game.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by toddze
    Tell me what other games released in 2012..... ya exactly. Thats like giving a trophy to a guy who won a race when he was the only runner.

Time top 10 list

1. GW2
     2. Xenoblade Chronicles
     3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
     4. Dishonored
     5. Assassin’s Creed III
     6. Papo & Yo
     7. The Last Story
     8. LittleBigPlanet
     9. Halo 4
    10. Torchlight II

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I am sorry you younger generation of gamers do not know what innovative or quality is, I wont hold it against you. BTW I am not just a PC gamer, I have owned just about every gaming console to date. But that will change if console start cracking down on 2nd hand games and making you buy online passes and such, I refuse to support that.

Edit: and before console's I was playing games one of the first apple computers. 

Get a life? I am very happy with my life.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Sorry but to me nothing beats Mass Effect 3 this year. Completely an amazing rpg experience with great story. It is so much better than GW2 is every way. Who actually voted for this stuff ?

People.  Just people with opinions.

All awards are basically crap.  Too much politics.

I look more at the nominees than the award winners.  Usually someone/something listed in their deserves the acclaim.

Tell me what other games released in 2012..... ya exactly. Thats like giving a trophy to a guy who won a race when he was the only runner.

Time top 10 list

1. GW2
     2. Xenoblade Chronicles
     4. Dishonored
     5. Assassin’s Creed III
     6. Papo & Yo
     7. The Last Story
     8. LittleBigPlanet
     9. Halo 4
    10. Torchlight II

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I am sorry you younger generation of gamers do not know what innovative or quality is, I wont hold it against you. BTW I am not just a PC gamer, I have owned just about every gaming console to date. But that will change if console start cracking down on 2nd hand games and making you buy online passes and such, I refuse to support that.

I will agree with BS here. Just because you have owned every single console and gaming platform in the history of the universe does not mean what BS is saying is not valid - harsh vut valid.

There is innovation in those games, just not what you want.

You are probably a 'sandbox' player - which means the games you like would nver get the wide appeal that games like this do.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by grimal
    Sorry but to me nothing beats Mass Effect 3 this year. Completely an amazing rpg experience with great story. It is so much better than GW2 is every way. Who actually voted for this stuff ?

I look more at the nominees than the award winners.  Usually someone/something listed in their deserves the acclaim.

Don't forget the caveat... unless of course the awards agree with your opinion.  image

I think Time nailed #1, but then again, that's my own opinion.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Volkon

Don't forget the caveat... unless of course the awards agree with your opinion.  image

This is true.

Honestly, I haven't played that many different titles this year (out of "MMO"s to really give a fair opinion on what game should have one).  But then again, it doesn't really matter much to me.

It's kind of like the Academy Awards.  Sometimes they get an award or two right, but most of the time it's just politics.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I personally would have included ME3 in the bottom 10 of the year. Ruined a perfectly good IP.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by evilastro

I personally would have included ME3 in the bottom 10 of the year. Ruined a perfectly good IP.

Agreed. Looks like Bioware became really good at ruining excellent IPs recently... I don't recognize the awesome company which made games like Neverwinter Nights, but I guess that's what happens when you get bought by Electronic Arts.

EA: We Destroy Games.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by botrytis

I will agree with BS here. Just because you have owned every single console and gaming platform in the history of the universe does not mean what BS is saying is not valid - harsh vut valid.

You are probably a 'sandbox' player - which means the games you like would nver get the wide appeal that games like this do.

Another deprived gamer that has no clue what quality is. I wont hold it against you either

[mod edit]

Well - I didn't have the EGo trip - I was just asking in sarcasm. If you can't understand that............

And what I said is true. There IS innovation in the various games, just not what he wanted. Nothing wrong with that statement. Just because it doesn't align his opinion doesn't mean that it is not valid.

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

[mod edit]

I am with Bad Spock too in this.

As for your opinion in deprived gamers, i wont hold against you your opinion, i never hold personal opinions against people, as for being an old gamer, i guess i am a younger gamer, i just started digital gaming on  that little orange box with the two white sticks ping ponging the white square back and forth, from there, i guess i am one of the younger gamers that remember how Bulletin Board Systems or BBS for short work, or MUDs or meridian or.. well lot of games that were around at that time i woner who remember modems that went a 1200 baud over telephone lines.

I guess i can say i have used about every system, which don't make me an expert, just a dedicated gamer, i also drive every day for work too, i would not say that make me a professional car pilot

And i totally agree with Bad Spock, i have played more then half of the games in that list, and in it's way, every one of them was innovative in a way or another.

Also i am european and TIME is a well know magazine , even here.

Now if your personal opinion is different from the ones that compiled the list, all good and dandy, to everyone it's own tastes, but call the list bullshit , i would think show some "Deprivation" too. I will not hold it against you.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    i wanna jump all over this thread but my flame resistent suit is at the cleaners.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Well - I didn't have the EGo trip - I was just asking in sarcasm. If you can't understand that............

And what I said is true. There IS innovation in the various games, just not what he wanted. Nothing wrong with that statement. Just because it doesn't align his opinion doesn't mean that it is not valid.

Hmm.  Reread what I wrote and what I quoted.

Also:

"I was just asking in sarcasm. If you can't understand that............"

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Time top 10 list

1. GW2
     2. Xenoblade Chronicles
     4. Dishonored
     5. Assassin’s Creed III
     6. Papo & Yo
     7. The Last Story
     8. LittleBigPlanet
     9. Halo 4
    10. Torchlight II

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Edit: and before console's I was playing games one of the first apple computers. 

I started on the green and black screened Apple computers when I was a kid too.

So if you're as old if not older than me, you should have a little more brain power and common sense than is on display here.

I also have to agree with someone else on this thread who mentioned ME3 as a top game of the year - I agree completely! Though the ending filled me with rage the game itself was a beautiful masterpiece of story and refined game play.

Definitely had a lot more emotional impact than ME2.

Oh and the soundtrack featuring Clint Mansell (one of my absolute favorite modern composers) was brilliant and at time breathtaking.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by elvenwolf

i wonder who remember modems that went at 1200 baud over telephone lines.

offtopic  but my first modem was 300 baud image

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Voted by who exactly? Didn't know that Times even reviewed computer games and if they do they are hardly a big gaming site, so this is not telling me anything.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Voted by who exactly? Didn't know that Times even reviewed computer games and if they do they are hardly a big gaming site, so this is not telling me anything.

TIME has been listing the top 10 videogames for at least 5 years

http://kotaku.com/332033/time-announces-top-ten-video-games-of-2007

but I agree w you that dedicated gaming sites have more merit

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

I'm gone from this site for over 2  years (I think) and I come back to the same old man ranting lol. This site never changes huh?

OT- I'm not sure about a lot of the other games but GW2 was a big winner in my book. Sure it is no GW1 but when GW1 came out I was a single and didn't have kids. Now I am married with 2 kids so I cannot immerse the way I could've then. Fortunately my wife is a gamer as well so we will still play when we have the motivation after a hectic day. 

Side note: When is this ste going to update their forums?

Edit: Wow I need to change my sig lol

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    By the way, GW2 also got nominated for IGN's best game of the years... ;)
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by Phry
    I am always amazed at the sudden appearance of these obscure websites that do gaming awards/surveys whatever, if it had been an actual game award from one of the various gaming magazines etc, i could sort of understand it, which btw, GW2 didnt win this year, its almost like, an award for the 'special kids' who entered all the competitions, but didnt actually win anything, so they invent an award just for them. well done.. image

Althought not a "gaming" magazine, pretty sure TIME does well enough to not be obscure :P

It is if you've never heard of it, im guessing its an american magazine maybe? tbh, don't have a scooby on that one. image

In the UK have The Times newspaper, but somehow i don't see them handling game awards etc, but they do have a really hard crossword if you have the time/patience.image

They did a Top 10 of Everything, so games had to be covered - http://www.time.com/time/top-10-lists-of-2012/ :)

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Well GW2 is the best MMO for sure.

Makes swtor, wow, tsw, aoc etc look pretty bad.

But whether it's the best -game- is kind of a matter of what game genre one prefers. People who only play FPS and no other genre (I know some of those) would clearly not agree.

But hey, this is a MMO site so yes, in this corner of gaming, GW2 deserves it, GJ

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Might be the best game released this year, but the best MMORPG came out quite some time ago.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Yamota

Yea you are right ..I mean who's Times to try and tell you anything ? 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Translation:  My game isn't on that list.  My game is never on the list.  When my games are on the list the awards are the coolest thing evar!

I'm just teasing you.  Don't take it seriously.

Not saying that's how it is for Grimal, but people are like that on these forums, yes even some GW 2 fans are like that as well no one is safe lol.

I know you wasn't being serious btw.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.