Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does groups and story lines work?

Before I ask... wow you can't post at the official forum unless you sub. They have a newb area for help, but how can I get help if I can't ask a question? Wow!

So lets say I start with 2 to 4 people and we want to group up and run through a story line.

I see there are 8 storylines in full.

It looks like we have a couple of options:

1. Everyone choose the same class and seperate a bit with the advanced class options.

If we do that, can we run the story once for all of us and get full XP each and credit. Or do we have to run it one time for each player to get their credit?

2. We all pick any class we like from the Repbulic or Empire, that way we can be fully rounded.

How quickly can we all meet up to group?

If we choose to run one of the players stories, do the followers get full XP credit while going through anothers story?

OR 

3.For XP credit, etc. Do we all run each others stories and just doulbe-quadruple our story lenght? Does that get reptitive and confusing running these different stories twisted together?

I would prefer 2. picking any class we choose under one of two sides. Then pick which character we will run the story on, everyone gets full XP credit and play one story out together.

Any insight on how this works or a link would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

Before I ask... wow you can't post at the official forum unless you sub. They have a newb area for help, but how can I get help if I can't ask a question? Wow!

So lets say I start with 2 to 4 people and we want to group up and run through a story line.

1. Everyone choose the same class and seperate a bit with the advanced class options.

If we do that, can we run the story once for all of us and get full XP each and credit. Or do we have to run it one time for each player to get their credit?

2. We all pick any class we like from the Repbulic or Empire, that way we can be fully rounded.

If we choose to run one of the players stories, do the followers get full XP credit while going through anothers story?

OR 

3.For XP credit, etc. Do we all run each others stories and just doulbe-quadruple our story lenght? Does that get reptitive and confusing running these different stories twisted together?

I would prefer 2. picking any class we choose under one of two sides. Then pick which character we will run the story on, everyone gets full XP credit and play one story out together.

1. Once for each player but just for class instances where only player that "owns" the instance gets credit. But since there arent many of those anyway its not a big deal. You can even skip class stories completely after yo get your ships, no big loss there (maybe 2-3% of xp) but if you run instances you will overlevel content anyway

2. You cant play as Republic and Empire together, all have to be same faction, and classes are mirrors so they are same for both anyway. First instance is level 10-11 and thats after you finish origin worlds so at that level

3. same as 1

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by mnwild1998

If you pick the same class you will have to do the class quest for each player. The first player who enters the zone will get credit, if you are killing stuff - you all get exp for kills.

You will want to pick or Empire or Republic. You cannot play together with player from oposite faction, in fact you can't talk with them other than usin "say". So pick Empire or Republic - all four of you. Watch out for jokers from opposite factions, they like to make some tricks sometimes, but usually they are civil.

Empire - Sith Warrior and Inquisitor start on Korriban, Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter start on Hutta -  and from there are going to Imperial Fleet around level 10 or 11. At level 10 you are choosing the sub-class - there will be a quest giver right at the entrance when you get from shuttle to main level.

Republic - Jedi Knight and Consular start on Tython, Trooper and Smuggler on Ord Mantel. Same thing as on Empire at level 10 -11 you go to Republic Fleet to pick subclass.

Both factions: When you go to Capital Planet - Dromund Kaas - Empire or Coruscant - Republic - take the route via Flashpoint, not shuttle. The quest giver will be on the way to shuttle and you can't miss it. This will give you a taste of FPs in SWTOR and these are really fun, for Empire it's The Black Talon and for Republic - The Esseles.

You don't get credit for other class story other then kills. But you will be in spectacor mode, which will allow you to see friend story.

OR 

From my experience - it is fun to watch other person story and their choices, unless you don't want spoilers. I don't think it's very confusing, the best is to try and see if it works for you. Yo

What worked the best for me was: one person plays a tank and second healer and using DPS companions. You can do everything in game including Heroic-4s and Flashpoints (Not HM). But I also had a set with Assasin Tank and Sniper and we used or one healer companion and DPS or 2 healing companions on hard stuff.

I don't think you want to play just one story, but certainly you can. I think though that you would enjoy doing all class quests together, unless you are altoholics and don't want to see any spoilers.

Each class has their own story quest. So if their are four than the other three can help with the others questline. If you two of the same class they will be seperated once they enter the class quest area. Hope that helps.

If you both want to enter the instance - if you have the same class - make sure to go to Preferences and to social tab unable Allow access to same class Story Areas. You will have to do it twice though. It will be a bit of spoiler though unless you don't mind.

Never grouped with a person from the same class for questing, but I've heard that person who enters zone first will be doing quest.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Like others said, each class (the 4 main ones for your faction you can't play with the other) has there own storyline. They take you to the same planets at the same levels (there's a slight difference sometimes but a good majority follows the same route). They're real easy to follow if played together exclusively. The most fun I've had in a game coop (MMO or otherwise) has been with SWTOR.

There's sectioned off areas for class-specific instances that are used to progress the story. There's a red barrier that won't let you in if your either not on that part of your story yet or not the class it's intended for.

If your in a party with a class that's supposed to go into one of these instances, though, it'll appear green for you (meaning you can enter) as soon as they enter first - same for them entering one of your class instances after you.

You see there cutscenes and such, but you don't get rewarded for it outside of drops and experience for defeating the mobs.

There's planet quests too which is for everyone, you can share them and do them at the same time and both get rewarded/progress your quest even if you enter a party member's instance.

If your both playing the same class, you have to enable in the preferences for your friend to join in - they did this mostly to prevent spoilers I think.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Thanks everyone.

So the first 10-11 levels we'll be solo and then we can meet up after that?

Thanks everyone.

So the first 10-11 levels we'll be solo and then we can meet up after that?

Not entirely.

Jedi Warrior/Consular share origin planet as well as Trooper/Smuggler (and its the same thing for Empire origin planets).

There is few group (2 people) quests on origin planets, but "real" gouping (instances) start at level 10-11.

And origin planets go by pretty fast, few hours.

Got it.
  • CaltoneCaltone Member UncommonPosts: 15

I run with a static leveling group that we put together during early access.  We purposely chose one toon from each of the major classes.  Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Trooper, and Smuggler.  For advanced classes we ended up with a healer, main tank, ranged and melee dps.

We play together exclusively and do all class and planet quests together.  As others have noted, we can help each other with class quests but for the dialog, all but the character who's quest it is, are in "spectator" mode, we can listen only.

This is the first time I have been in a group like this and we've been doing it for almost a year now.  We've missed some weeks so we are currently near level 40.  The goal is to play together through level 50.  Two of our players converted to F2P recently but that has had no impact on us.

Some notes:

1.  We found it best to finish the starter planet solo and do our first group on the fleet for Esselese (or Black Talon)

2.  By Nar Shadda we started outleveling some content so made the decision to skip some things such as bonus series on some planets.

3.  You will get a ton of social points :)

4.  It's a rare chance to see all the heroics on each planet and catch any of the Flashpoints you may have missed with your main

5.  Same for the story, our group is pretty relaxed so we get to enjoy all the voice overs and convos without any pressue to "space bar"

Lot of fun, give it a try.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

OR 

Each class has their own story quest. So if their are four than the other three can help with the others questline. If you two of the same class they will be seperated once they enter the class quest area. Hope that helps.

that is incorrect..you can now enter the same instance on same storline..there is an option in settings or preferances.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

First, I will state the game gets very boring very fast.

Each class has their own storyline to follow, if you like games that tell stories you wll probably like the stories.  If you are like me and hate stories, you will skip all the story and just choose the option good or bad that you want your character to be.

Other players can join in your story but they will not have the option of choosing the outcome, only that player will.

Group stories come from quests and  dungeons, where you unfortunately got to wait for that 1 person that decides to watch the whole story, despite having done the dungeon 100 times already. 

To sum it up, if you like stories and soloing this game is for you.  If you want to rush through the boring stories and not wait for slow computers to load in your group, this game is not for you.

If you prefer group play, this game is not for you.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Basically the game is KOTOR 3 with co-op thrown in until endgame, where it becomes a traditional MMO. 

If you've ever played NWN 1 or 2 TC, that's how this game plays out when playing with friends. It's best experienced in a group IMO, when your playing a character exclusively with another both doing your storylines. 

But like the above said, if your not looking for a story-based game like Bioware is known for, this game isn't for you. If you play it like a traditional MMO and skip quest text and such it's gonna get boring fast.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

If you pick the same class you will have to do the class quest for each player. The first player who enters the zone will get credit, if you are killing stuff - you all get exp for kills.

You will want to pick or Empire or Republic. You cannot play together with player from oposite faction, in fact you can't talk with them other than usin "say". So pick Empire or Republic - all four of you. Watch out for jokers from opposite factions, they like to make some tricks sometimes, but usually they are civil.

Empire - Sith Warrior and Inquisitor start on Korriban, Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter start on Hutta -  and from there are going to Imperial Fleet around level 10 or 11. At level 10 you are choosing the sub-class - there will be a quest giver right at the entrance when you get from shuttle to main level.

Republic - Jedi Knight and Consular start on Tython, Trooper and Smuggler on Ord Mantel. Same thing as on Empire at level 10 -11 you go to Republic Fleet to pick subclass.

Both factions: When you go to Capital Planet - Dromund Kaas - Empire or Coruscant - Republic - take the route via Flashpoint, not shuttle. The quest giver will be on the way to shuttle and you can't miss it. This will give you a taste of FPs in SWTOR and these are really fun, for Empire it's The Black Talon and for Republic - The Esseles.

You don't get credit for other class story other then kills. But you will be in spectacor mode, which will allow you to see friend story.

OR 

From my experience - it is fun to watch other person story and their choices, unless you don't want spoilers. I don't think it's very confusing, the best is to try and see if it works for you. Yo

What worked the best for me was: one person plays a tank and second healer and using DPS companions. You can do everything in game including Heroic-4s and Flashpoints (Not HM). But I also had a set with Assasin Tank and Sniper and we used or one healer companion and DPS or 2 healing companions on hard stuff.

I don't think you want to play just one story, but certainly you can. I think though that you would enjoy doing all class quests together, unless you are altoholics and don't want to see any spoilers.

If you both want to enter the instance - if you have the same class - make sure to go to Preferences and to social tab unable Allow access to same class Story Areas. You will have to do it twice though. It will be a bit of spoiler though unless you don't mind.

Never grouped with a person from the same class for questing, but I've heard that person who enters zone first will be doing quest.

From past experience, it was buggy as hell to get friends in your storyline.  If you get used to entering and exiting the quest "veil" eventually you will get in sinc.  That's how it's done.

On a similar note, I had a guild RP meeting on my ship and it was just .. ARGHGH!!...some people were in my instance and some mysteriously created their own instance when they walked into my class restricted area.  It would take about 10-15 minutes of everyone zoning out then back in, or certain people zoning out and back in to get everyone together.  Then there was the disconnects.  Needless to say, our meetings were always 30 minutes behind schedule.

And this still extends to grouped storylines, though on a smaller scale.  Just be prepared to spend a little extra time if need be.  Be patient, because SWTOR is riddled with bugs, and if you play the game, you need to learn to live with them.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Karteli

From past experience, it was buggy as hell to get friends in your storyline.  If you get used to entering and exiting the quest "veil" eventually you will get in sinc.  That's how it's done.

On a similar note, I had a guild RP meeting on my ship and it was just .. ARGHGH!!...some people were in my instance and some mysteriously created their own instance when they walked into my class restricted area.  It would take about 10-15 minutes of everyone zoning out then back in, or certain people zoning out and back in to get everyone together.  Then there was the disconnects.  Needless to say, our meetings were always 30 minutes behind schedule.

And this still extends to grouped storylines, though on a smaller scale.  Just be prepared to spend a little extra time if need be.  Be patient, because SWTOR is riddled with bugs, and if you play the game, you need to learn to live with them.

I guess they fixed it, as I played a lot with friends and doing all class quests together and it never happend to me. Or am I THAT lucky?

Our guild meets on the bridge of one of the destroyers at Imperial Fleet. Much more fun.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Caltone

I run with a static leveling group that we put together during early access.  We purposely chose one toon from each of the major classes.  Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Trooper, and Smuggler.  For advanced classes we ended up with a healer, main tank, ranged and melee dps.

We play together exclusively and do all class and planet quests together.  As others have noted, we can help each other with class quests but for the dialog, all but the character who's quest it is, are in "spectator" mode, we can listen only.

This is the first time I have been in a group like this and we've been doing it for almost a year now.  We've missed some weeks so we are currently near level 40.  The goal is to play together through level 50.  Two of our players converted to F2P recently but that has had no impact on us.

Some notes:

1.  We found it best to finish the starter planet solo and do our first group on the fleet for Esselese (or Black Talon)

2.  By Nar Shadda we started outleveling some content so made the decision to skip some things such as bonus series on some planets.

3.  You will get a ton of social points :)

4.  It's a rare chance to see all the heroics on each planet and catch any of the Flashpoints you may have missed with your main

5.  Same for the story, our group is pretty relaxed so we get to enjoy all the voice overs and convos without any pressue to "space bar"

Lot of fun, give it a try.

That's exactly how I like to do it and to me that is what will make this game special. I'm more of a coop'r RPG persom vs a MMO'er. In GW2, we all created an elementalist to have the same story line. In there we can run the story line once and at the end it asks those that didn't start it "Do you want credit for completeing it" (something like that), we say yes,everyone gets full credit and there stories click forward the same. That way there is one story, one time and all of that. Since GW2 doesn't have the trinity it wasn't a hit doing this, we all made our ele's a little different in which skill set they had. I want to do the same type of thing in SWTOR, I just needed to know how it works, because I couldn't find jack on explaining it, thanks to everyone again, this saves a lot of time figuring it out.

Originally posted by Draron

Basically the game is KOTOR 3 with co-op thrown in until endgame, where it becomes a traditional MMO.

Perfect exit place!

Originally posted by phantomghost

Each class has their own storyline to follow, if you like games that tell stories you wll probably like the stories.  If you are like me and hate stories, you will skip all the story and just choose the option good or bad that you want your character to be.

If you prefer group play, this game is not for you.

I prefer group play with a story. And not so much story even, just a structure. I'd be fine with a sandbox if it wasn't mind numbing basic mechanics of a std mmo. I'm more of, I want to play it, get out, move to something else. I don't plan on living in the world long term.

I'm more of, I want to play it, get out, move to something else. I don't plan on living in the world long term.

Thats the best way to play SWTOR, sub for 1 month every 6-8 months and it will (supposedly) have barely enough new content to last that month.

Of course, if they put gearflation in check and you dont have to grind same crap you grinded 6-8 months ago just to get new gear to be able to access the new content (as it is now). Thats quite a game-breaker.