Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darth Debate: SWG Vs. SWTOR

Comments

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by Scummyman
    I would play SWG (even the NGE) over SWTOR. I live in hope that one day SWG 2 would be made I know it isn't going to happen which amazes me considering they made SWTOR and that sucks.

Yea at times when I am playing TOR I regret that I voted with my wallet, and left swg over the NGE.  Even the NGE SWG was better. In terms of combat they are roughly equal in my opinion.  The difference is that even in its NGE form SWG had so many non combat things that made it a world.  

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

You can't compare a game 10 years above his time like SWG with so much rich features, interaction, customization and innovations with a outadetd game that looks like a 2006 MMO.

The problem with SWG was the game was too much for it time and the problem with SWTOR is too few for nowdays.

A SWG with a better graphic engine, the pre-cu profesions and leveling system, the crafting and sandboxing from all its durations  and the Post-NGE content could be overawesomity!!!

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

I would say SWG was a better game with an even worse engine than SWTOR, and thats with SWTOR running a heavily modified version of HERO engine (Which I personally hate and have hated every game released using it).

Oh BTW, if the Rose Tinted Glasses/Goggles make my memory of games better...where can I get more of them?

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

So what your saying is SWTOR is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game. Wrong, it ain't massive.........

Its a Multiplayer Online Game.

So, what number makes it 'Massive'?  Is it 100?  1000?   422?

Or are you hair-splitting?

Seeing people running around, 50+ in one area etc. Making things instanced makes yourself feel alone.

Oh, totally subjective then?   I personally find it very un-immersive to see four groups sitting, waiting for some mob to spawn so they can get some game ticket punched.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

So what your saying is SWTOR is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game. Wrong, it ain't massive.........

Its not the number, diablo 3 has had more players online than swotor, its the amount of people in the same place at the same time doing the same thing i guess.

I dont know, i know its not crafting, or auction house, or small groups, or instances, or story driven content, its more about the players writing their own story, its about being in a living and breathing community thats ever evolving. its not about raiding either, nor about looting, its about putting a lot of people together to make a difference, to get something that you couldnt get alone, its about making everyone feel like they have a part to play.

Its when you can tell your friends about that awesome thing you and a bunch o people where able to pull off. like avoiding a wipe in a major raid by tanking the boss for a minute after it killed the main tank, or being able to heal the tank, or outdpsing jack-the-jerk-withnolife, or maybe defending an outpost alone, beating 3 people at the same time, hunting a PK that was better equiped and 5 levels above you.

Anything really, if you do it in a place with only 5-20 people its not really that special, but in a group/League of 60 dudes+, man, you just got an anecdote.

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121
    It was the freedom to choose that made SWG great, that's why I believe it fostered such a great community.
  • GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

Seeing people running around, 50+ in one area etc. Making things instanced makes yourself feel alone.

Oh, totally subjective then?   I personally find it very un-immersive to see four groups sitting, waiting for some mob to spawn so they can get some game ticket punched.

This is why games like LOTRO introduced open world tagging.  If  group X is fighting some mob and group Y starts to attack the same mob, both groups get credit.  This was great feature added in Rohan and a feature all upcoming and current MMO's (yes SWTOR is an MMO) should adopt. 

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I got a feeling that people who voted for swtor over swg here mostly voted based on either the quest element or the melee/lightsaber combat element; because, I must admit, the lightsaber combat and quest element in swtor is just superior to swg in every way.

However though even considering the age of swg, it still did the range combat side much better than swtor. So I got a feeling somehow that people who like playing jedi and quests tend to go for swtor, and people who like freedom, bounty hunters and smugglers, space, crafting, realistic economy and community side will go for swg.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

the difference for me was that i could log into swg and do whatever i wanted.

i spent an entire month straight never doing anything but working on my house.

I spent 6 months making a name for myself as a crafter, providing very specific items. SWG made some very big mistakes but it was and always will be a true sandbox.

I also whole heartedly agree that it was a more mature community. The reason is because it wasn't a "on the rails" game. People chose what they wanted to do. Seriously an entertainer was a profession, you could enjoy the game just entertaining and living in the cantina.

Swtor refused to listen to it's star wars fanbase, they further refused to create an immersive game after you level. 

That said, swtor is the best single playre game i've ever played. Once i hit 50 i left. I came back for f2p and just unsubbed again. No depth to this game at max level.

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    really this shouldnt be difficult, SWG HANDS DOWN BOTTOM LINE.  Why  well first let me say PRE-CU SWG not that NGE $h!t well if you include missions and content like mustafar, and kash and achievement  but not the NGE crap.  But anyway SWG handsdown because you could do anything you wanted with your character, you get to have a house put stuff in it anyway you wanted to.  YOU GET TO DO THINGS IN A CANTINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Demmi77

I spent 6 months making a name for myself as a crafter, providing very specific items. SWG made some very big mistakes but it was and always will be a true sandbox.

I also whole heartedly agree that it was a more mature community. The reason is because it wasn't a "on the rails" game. People chose what they wanted to do. Seriously an entertainer was a profession, you could enjoy the game just entertaining and living in the cantina.

Swtor refused to listen to it's star wars fanbase, they further refused to create an immersive game after you level. 

That said, swtor is the best single playre game i've ever played. Once i hit 50 i left. I came back for f2p and just unsubbed again. No depth to this game at max level.

I can certainly appreciate the fact that you liked SWG, but to spend a month working on my house would cause me to commit suicide, you are a sand box person and like many of mmorpg.com posters you like sand box games and that is fine, but when I play I want good combat and SWG had about the worst combat and the lag was bad---best part of SWG for ME was JTL

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

SWTOR is a joke SWG was a very fun game pre cu.

Some of the most tense moments ever in a mmorpg was capturing baby rancors to raise and sell in the city.

Social moments in a packed cantina (Because entertainer profession drew people into them ,suprised no other mmorpg has thought of doing this) were fun , game was awesome.

SWTOR is plain horrible.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
          SWG was hands down a better game for me..  It wasn't some pre-written story layed out before me.. I made my own and lived it, even with the bugs..  From custom classes, to player cities and crafting, SWG offered much more..  It really was a shame that SOE couldn't fix they damn game breaking issues..  Damn them..... LOL
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by eddieg50

I can certainly appreciate the fact that you liked SWG, but to spend a month working on my house would cause me to commit suicide

Houses in SWG has a more diverse function than any others games. In most cases people spend a lot of times decorating it because it is actually their shop and storefront - it is where people sell their wares.

A lot of the decoration actually displays to customer what they sell and what are their price ranges as soon as customers walk in.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    <snip>

Wow... it reads like... SWTOR forum LMAO

Yes it does.  This site has a very odd group psychology.

It seems like every Star Wars MMO has to be absolutely hated and despised by a certain group here,   When SWG was out, you couldn't go a few days without a mulititude of hate-filled posts about the game.   If you actually liked the game, you were clearly in the minority.  (I am referring to most of SWG's life....not PRE CU....much like the first month or two of TOR's launch when nearly everyone praising it).

If you missed SWG and were never around for the experience...being a fan of it was much like being a fan of TOR.  It wasn't something you openly admitted for fear of being flamed.

It's the hypocrisy of it all which is just....so tiresome.  I guess when you've been a member of this site as long as I have, these things just become more apparent.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

SWG was the original sandbox.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by grimal

It seems like every Star Wars MMO has to be absolutely hated and despised by a certain group here,   When SWG was out, you couldn't go a few days without a mulititude of hate-filled posts about the game.   If you actually liked the game, you were clearly in the minority.  (I am referring to most of SWG's life....not PRE CU....much like the first month or two of TOR's launch when nearly everyone praising it).

If you missed SWG and were never around for the experience...being a fan of it was much like being a fan of TOR.  It wasn't something you openly admitted for fear of being flamed.

It's the hypocrisy of it all which is just....so tiresome.  I guess when you've been a member of this site as long as I have, these things just become more apparent.

Thanks for sharing these posts. It makes me feel so much better LOL.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I can certainly appreciate the fact that you liked SWG, but to spend a month working on my house would cause me to commit suicide

Houses in SWG has a more diverse function than any others games. In most cases people spend a lot of times decorating it because it is actually their shop and storefront - it is where people sell their wares.

A lot of the decoration actually displays to customer what they sell and what are their price ranges as soon as customers walk in.

yeah thousands of abandoned houses made for great landscape decor

now for the SWG  fans - a lot of the conceptions in SWG were pretty good, the execution however was epic fail

what I liked :

the housing and decoration like the post I quoted

the crafting system

the skill system

the player cities

the professions, at least in concept if not in execution

what I hated:

the lag

the database system that would eat your bank and vendors

the unfinished andf poorly balanced professions at launch

waiting 15 minutes for a shuttle

the rudest and most unhelpful customer service  of any company in the history of MMO's

that epic joke of datacron/profession grinding for jedi class

the 1 character per server limit

I miss DAoC

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by grimal

Thanks for sharing these posts. It makes me feel so much better LOL.

Don't ever let someone elses opinion of a game make you feel bad.  If you are having fun playing a game, that's awesome and the whole point of these games in the first place.  Often this gets forgotten around here.  People tend to push their game and root for it and against other companies like psycho sports fans.   Xfire numbers, and stock value is the order of the day and fun is a distant memory. 

I loved SWG, but that game was a buggy mess.  It never got fixed.  The playerbase was straight up lied to multiple times.  The changes they did make were awful.  It was an amazing idea with horrible execution. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you have a cool guild with some fun people to play SWTOR with.  That is what can make an MMORPG absolutely shine.  Enjoy every moment of it, and have fun.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Star War Galaxies was a MMORPG - This was virtually a living breathing world where players made the HUGE difference and the content.

Star Wars the Old Republic MMO - This is a Linear Themepark on the rails game. You character doesn't mean squat in this world unless your guild is counting on you to be there to complete the same dungeon for the 1000 time. You can throw this on any console and get a few kicks for a month or two. Jump into a BG, kick someones ass or get your ass kicked and log out.

2 entirely different mmo's.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Demmi77

I can certainly appreciate the fact that you liked SWG, but to spend a month working on my house would cause me to commit suicide, you are a sand box person and like many of mmorpg.com posters you like sand box games and that is fine, but when I play I want good combat and SWG had about the worst combat and the lag was bad---best part of SWG for ME was JTL

There were plenty of people who *never* did this.  The point is that you could do what you wanted.  Some people just used their housing for storage, while others painstakingly created some amazing places for others to visit.  Players *added* content to the game that the devs had nothing to do with.  I remember going to regularly hang out in a player's house that was converted to a Jedi Temple using nothing but game drops, and imagination.  The same went for shops, hunting lodges, crafting malls, and just about anything else you can think of.  

Even if you weren't one of the creative types, you likely experienced and appreciated player made content on a regular basis.  This was the magic in that game for me and many others. CHOICE.  No, not the choice between a few classes and professions, but the choice and the tools to do all kinds of things the developers never even thought of when they built the game.  The choice to be anything from a 100% social or crafting player, to 100% PvP or PvE, and that's to say nothing of the whole space combat game.

These newer themepark games attract a very limited scope of people and personalities, and you can see it reflected in the type of community you end up with.  That was part of the magic of SWG.  The people mattered, and the people made the game what it was, despite flaws in the game's code.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Star Wars Galaxies was better.

Hmm. Let me try to choose my words carefully. SWG seemed like it was made for adults, whereas SWTOR felt like it was made for 6th-9th graders.

SWG was deeper in almost every aspect, e.g., exploration, crafting, economy, world size, social environment. SWTOR, however, was deeper via story & lore.

SWTOR felt like I was watching a movie. SWG felt like I was making a movie.

^this.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

SWG was the original sandbox.

Wrong.