Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darth Debate: SWG Vs. SWTOR

Comments

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

I prefer to play SWG. The freedom to chose any race, any faction, any profession, to go anywhere i want. Epic PvP events created by pleyers and guilds. To go to my own house, decorated by me with furnitures and trophys gathered around the galaxy. To fly my x-wing from system to system.

The total freedom, with one of the greates gaming community i ever had the pleasure to be part of. Both friends and foes :)

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Swanea
    Is this supposed to be close?  I'm pretty sure the population here prefers swg because of the crafting and the rose colored SAFTEY GOGGLES!

Agree that this site will, by far and away, prefer SWG to SWTOR. My take is that SWG is gone and SWTOR is still around. SWTOR wins. On the other hand, I really doubt that SWTOR is going to last half as many years as SWG. In that case I say that SWG won.

Personally I enjoyed SWTOR more but I quit both of them after playing 3 months. Interesting, now that I remember, I played both of them about the same amount of time - I just enjoyed SWTOR more.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    TOR makes me miss the NGE... the early sub killing NGE... not the NGE with  atmosphere flight, GCW planet control, Bounty Hunting, space battle almost smuggling ... ah hell, I miss that NGE too.  I miss all of SWG, good and bad.
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    So the purpose of this thread is to insult SWTOR? got it :P

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by mmoDAD
    Originally posted by grimal
    Easy.  The better game is the one that did not win "Coaster of the Year" award twice.

That's funny. Almost every game listed under your avatar was a "coaster" to me.

Lol, true. A couple of those listed I didn't even bother with, total carp.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Jonoku

Well, isnt that the purpose of every thread and every commentary after an announcement when it comes to swtor? i mean, its fun, and true 85.6% of the times (made up statistic, but probably close to the actual number).

And its not beating on a dead horse, the horse is not dead yet, thats why we beat it.

Originally posted by LhynnSaint

Well, isnt that the purpose of every thread and every commentary after an announcement when it comes to swtor? i mean, its fun, and true 85.6% of the times (made up statistic, but probably close to the actual number).

And its not beating on a dead horse, the horse is not dead yet, thats why we beat it.

I think mmoDAD is trying to prove a point which IMO does not need any farther evidence. It's a given that SWG is dominant.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Obviously SWG..  That's like comparing the best restaurant in town with the absolute worst restaurant in town ;)

with the difference that swg wasnt the best game in the industry :p and honestly i think swtor is not the worst

Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Obviously SWG..  That's like comparing the best restaurant in town with the absolute worst restaurant in town ;)

with the difference that swg wasnt the best game in the industry :p and honestly i think swtor is not the worst

thats a fact, but no one seems to care. there can only be one mmo based on star wars, so swotor literally killed swg. so the reaction of hate is to be expected.

The question is when did I run out of things to do in swg? Rarely.........

Answer: when swg shut down.

Hardest thing is to get burn't out from swg.

SWTOR isn't the worst MMO but sure is missing the other M in MMO.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

True player driven economy

32 professions

skill based vs level base

Massive amounts of stats/damage types

Random spawning resources/with extinction mechanic

Player housing

no instances

cool PvP TEF system and meaning (Base take over assualt/defends were fun)

Non-combat professions were viable builds/fun ofr longterm play

Open world space system

Most complex crafting to date, was repetative and long but badass (I felt accomplishment being 1 of 3 best weaponsmiths... I would even use my calculator/trusty notepad many times to come up with best stats and materials)

I mean community and the war effort felt good...it existed because your name ment somthing on your server, heck! Everyones did.  The asshats had a hard go and the great people were great. This was because of the one character per server, that way you thought twice before being a dick or you would feel it. You didnt want to delete your character to ninja something.

Jesus I could go on all day... it sadens me much. I was one of the original perma death jedi on Kettemoor server, that was a rush. 

First Rodian Jedi

Woo'Soo.... over and out

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by mnwild1998
    Originally posted by Yamota
    SWG, hands down. I dont consider SW:TOR to be a proper MMO. It is more like a story driven single player RPG with a multiplayer component added.

Hmm that is so far from the truth. I have nothing against SWG but to say TOR is not an mmo is laughable. I take it you have never played or made a character above 20? I take it you never joined a guild? I take it you never crafted a purple item and sold it on the AH? I take it you never ran a flaspoint, ops, or entered a heroic area? I guess if you never did those you could say what you said.

Funny how you mentioned everything you can do in wow, but didnt mention the comunity.  hanging around in a bar and talking about nothing with , or doing massive and organized sieges to take points, or world events.

You know, The first "M" in MMO stands for MASSIVE, swotor doesnt feel massive, just kinda empty and story driven (not even character driven as it should fucking be ._.)

It has one redeming quality tho, the people that play it are cool for the most part, always willing to help, so thats the only reason id play it. Too bad that the content is either too solo friendly or stupid and its usually both.

Massive? Have you ever been part of a large group that took down a Massive world boss?

Ever been in a siege movilizing hundreds if not thousands of players? making or breaking alliances with other guilds.

besides, shouldnt a single jedi be able to deal with pretty much anything with enough level of mastery of the force?

Sorry kid, you are playing MORPG, thats all it is. its not that bad tho, you can still have fun...

Its just as much of an MMO as a persistent neverwinter nights server, but with less RPing, and a million times less customization of your character.

Nope cant say I have ever "movilized" anything.  So what game did you "movilze" thousands of players kid?  In todays standards SWTOR is just as much an MMO as any other MMO.  Sorry to break it to you kid, but your right its still fun for some. 

Lineage 2, but the same can be applied to a lot of games, DAoC comes to mind.

And you probably mean that diablo 3/nwn 2/rakion/CoD are also as much of an MMO as any other. what i dont get is why do you care about the label, i mean, the only reason i keep saying it is because it seems to tick fanboys off. (that and because its true, but mostly because you care). its not that its more of a game for being an mmo, baldurs gate and fallout were single players and i had more fun with them than with any mmo so far. Its probably that its all it has going for itself, the story isnt very interesting, some of the companions are cool and wielding a lightsaber is always fun, even if it cant block a blaster fire to save its life...

So what your saying is SWTOR is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game. Wrong, it ain't massive.........

Its a Multiplayer Online Game.

Ok no I do not think diablo 3/nwn 2/rakion/CoD  are MMOs, and nor do I care about a lable you and the rest of the haters bring it up.  The only reason I point out its clearly an MMO is to point out the ignorance of some of the haters who say it is not. 

No, i dont think diablo 3/nwn 2/rakion/CoD are MMOs either.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Why did you make this thread? Its EXTREMELY obvious that swg is better then swtor.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    SWTOR by large measure. No doubt for me.
    Originally posted by daltanious
    SWTOR by large measure. No doubt for me.

lol :D

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Jackdog

Always amazes me how people look back on SWG with rose colored glasses. I will always remember the bugs and crashes at launch, completely unfinished and never finished classes ( Bio Engineer anyone). They had epic database issues, I lost a million credits worth of guns when my vendor went poof one day and CS told me tough s***. The epic failure grinding professions for datacrons with the original jedi scheme. Flavor of the week overpowered class's . I betaed the darn thing for several months and figured it would be the be all and end all of MMO's buyt Koster and SOE managed to screw up royally what could have been the perfect game. By November when the vendor dissapeared I was ready to call it quits anyway. Went on to beta and play Horizons which was another epic POS

I retried it later on when they added space combat and found everyone and his brother was now a jedi and thousands upon thousands of abandoned houses

SWToR is not perfect and I only played it March through July before I was bored with it but it sure had a heck of a better launch than SWG ever did. Bioware seems to be channeling SOE in their free to play plan, I patched it but did not even log in my account is so crippled with the restrictions unless I want to shell out cash. I have pretty much had it with MMO's in general though so pay no attention to a bitter old man

It always amazes me that people like you try to tell those of us who loved SWG that we didn't and that we have "rose colored glasses".  

I have been gaming online for many years now.  I know which games I loved and why, and I know very much what it was about SWG that I loved, and what it is about themeparks that I hate.  No one here said SWG was a perfect game, but to suggest that so many people are delusional about how much they enjoyed it is just ludicrous. 

Despite SWG's shortcomings, it was still one of the best MMO games ever created.  Imagine what it could have been if it was handled by a better team/company. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Why did you make this thread? Its EXTREMELY obvious that swg is better then swtor.

Well, you just answered your own question there.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367

So what your saying is SWTOR is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game. Wrong, it ain't massive.........

So, what number makes it 'Massive'?  Is it 100?  1000?   422?

Or are you hair-splitting?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Always amazes me how people look back on SWG with rose colored glasses. I will always remember the bugs and crashes at launch, completely unfinished and never finished classes ( Bio Engineer anyone). They had epic database issues, I lost a million credits worth of guns when my vendor went poof one day and CS told me tough s***. The epic failure grinding professions for datacrons with the original jedi scheme. Flavor of the week overpowered class's . I betaed the darn thing for several months and figured it would be the be all and end all of MMO's buyt Koster and SOE managed to screw up royally what could have been the perfect game. By November when the vendor dissapeared I was ready to call it quits anyway. Went on to beta and play Horizons which was another epic POS

I retried it later on when they added space combat and found everyone and his brother was now a jedi and thousands upon thousands of abandoned houses

SWToR is not perfect and I only played it March through July before I was bored with it but it sure had a heck of a better launch than SWG ever did. Bioware seems to be channeling SOE in their free to play plan, I patched it but did not even log in my account is so crippled with the restrictions unless I want to shell out cash. I have pretty much had it with MMO's in general though so pay no attention to a bitter old man

It always amazes me that people like you try to tell those of us who loved SWG that we didn't and that we have "rose colored glasses".  

I have been gaming online for many years now.  I know which games I loved and why, and I know very much what it was about SWG that I loved, and what it is about themeparks that I hate.  No one here said SWG was a perfect game, but to suggest that so many people are delusional about how much they enjoyed it is just ludicrous. 

Despite SWG's shortcomings, it was still one of the best MMO games ever created.  Imagine what it could have been if it was handled by a better team/company. 

^ This.

I'd still be playing today if they didn't replace and then destroy SWG.

Jack wagons.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I would play SWG (even the NGE) over SWTOR. I live in hope that one day SWG 2 would be made I know it isn't going to happen which amazes me considering they made SWTOR and that sucks.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I don't think he was saying that people didn't like it.  It's that it was terribly flawed, released broken, and never fixed.  It's perfectly reasonable to say it was your favorite, you enjoyed it most, etc.   Best designed MMO game ever?   That's quite arguable.  If a game released now in the awful state that SWG did, it would be excoriated, and rightfully so.   Aspects of SWG were great, aspects of it were very, very bad.   The pathetic management of the game was mostly to blame.   There are just a lot of very....uncritical....assesments of it.

I was interested in SWG at the time, but friends of mine were on the Dev team, and they warned me away from it.   Pretty high praise, eh?

As for the original post, I'd be in the 'neither' camp.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Arglebargle

So, what number makes it 'Massive'?  Is it 100?  1000?   422?

Or are you hair-splitting?

Seeing people running around, 50+ in one area etc. Making things instanced makes yourself feel alone.