Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darth Debate: SWG Vs. SWTOR

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Tried SWG and could not make myself play for more then few hours, playing SWTOR for a year now every day and I am not bored. So for me SWTOR >>>>> SWG.

Just my 2c

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Tried SWG and could not make myself play for more then few hours, playing SWTOR for a year now every day and I am not bored. So for me SWTOR >>>>> SWG.

Just my 2c

Pretty sure from asking you in a previous thread, that you played SWG after the crap dates. So sorry.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Given that TOR is pretty much antithesis of SWG in terms of design, I'd say it comes down to individual preference since no comparison can really be made beyond "they're both Star Wars and MMO games". I'll personally go with SWG because having a sandbox approach to SW universe with freedom to make your own path through it is MUCH more compelling to me personally than wading through fan fiction level of writing that I'm supposed to take seriously in what is otherwise just WoW in space.

Just me, though.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

I gave my character in SWTOR too my son(11), he enjoyed it for a little while, but ultimately would play clone wars the adventures(mmo) more so I cancelled the sub on TOR.(I should screen shot his rating lol, with a marauder anyone can be good lol). TOR, just isn't fun past leveling(and leveling seems geared, for, well younger audiences, it does not feel like a game designed past pg13 in my opinion)

I liked swg for the time frame. Pre NGE seemed like a major step up for mmo's(allowing people to actually create different classes per se by the choices of all skills) If they came out with a 100% fixed EMU, I probably still wouldn't play it(I loved the game in it's day, but I couldn't play it now, its outdated, even though I would love to see a new mmo use the systems for learning skills like swg pre nge had. If they came up with a graphical reboot of the pre-nge, well yeah I would play that in a heart beat.

So in all honesty, SWG was a better game than SWTOR if viewed in their time frames too me. However, I wouldn't play either of them currently. SWG is outdated, and SWTOR is crap.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

I enjoyed SWG more, but again i also realize it was a grindfest with several totally broken classes , the difference being i was new to MMO's back then and not quite to jaded after one theme park copy cat after another.  So ya swtor was fun till i realized what many were saying was true ....great VO ....other than that fairly average MMO.

What i miss from SWG is the community that the cantina scene ...straight up it was nice to have professions that relied on one another and made the game a living thing. However, i also played SWGemu and have looked at what a mess they are trying to clean up if original SWG came out today it would crash and burn very quickly because none of us would put up with all the bugs and bad coding that game launched with.

• EcnaliEcnali Member CommonPosts: 49

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Just my 2c

Gratz! I so wanted to have the fun you are having in SWTOR. But at heart, I'm a crafter and swtor's crafting, economy, and market were so so bad compared to SWG's. I did enjoy the storyline of SWTOR, at least, as far as I got. But the HUD/UI turned me off the game so fast- although I Know the fixed that - but it came back to crafting.  The only game now that has a complex crafting system and player-made economy is EVE- and although I enjoy EVE, it's an evil game with evil players waiting to destroy you and rob your floating corpse...hmmm, maybe SWTOR could profit from that example....

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

SWG pre-cu was the best MMO I've ever played.

SWTOR? Pfft...

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Always amazes me how people look back on SWG with rose colored glasses. I will always remember the bugs and crashes at launch, completely unfinished and never finished classes ( Bio Engineer anyone). They had epic database issues, I lost a million credits worth of guns when my vendor went poof one day and CS told me tough s***. The epic failure grinding professions for datacrons with the original jedi scheme. Flavor of the week overpowered class's . I betaed the darn thing for several months and figured it would be the be all and end all of MMO's buyt Koster and SOE managed to screw up royally what could have been the perfect game. By November when the vendor dissapeared I was ready to call it quits anyway. Went on to beta and play Horizons which was another epic POS

I retried it later on when they added space combat and found everyone and his brother was now a jedi and thousands upon thousands of abandoned houses

SWToR is not perfect and I only played it March through July before I was bored with it but it sure had a heck of a better launch than SWG ever did. Bioware seems to be channeling SOE in their free to play plan, I patched it but did not even log in my account is so crippled with the restrictions unless I want to shell out cash. I have pretty much had it with MMO's in general though so pay no attention to a bitter old man

I miss DAoC

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

Galaxies hat a characteristic atmosphere, was unconventional. 

SWTOR is boring, doesn't use Public Quests, Bioware used their less gifted writers and XP penalty after lvl 10 sucks.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    SWG, hands down. I dont consider SW:TOR to be a proper MMO. It is more like a story driven single player RPG with a multiplayer component added.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    SWG wasnt a grindfest lol. You could level a combat toon in a day, a crafter in 4-6 hours, the only thing that took forever was your elder jedi before the changes........
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by Traugar
    Originally posted by mnwild1998
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Since it is F2P it does not mean much as it cannot be compared with sub-based MMOs, only other F2P titles.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Since it is F2P it does not mean much as it cannot be compared with sub-based MMOs, only other F2P titles.

This.

Though it is funny that people only ever cite xfire when its backing up their own opinion.

It's time to face the facts guys. SWTOR, the most expensive MMO ever made, by a large margin, tanked.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Both represent extremes, and I crave for balance.

SWG was the total sandbox too much lacking direction in the long run. SWTOR is the total Themepark, entirely lacking freedom. I had way more fun in SWG; but it was my first MMO. So it's not entirely fair. I still wish a SW MMO that has the best of BOTH games.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I still say SWG (before Jedi at all) was the best SWG.

Before the holocron grind, I played the game the way I wanted to play it. Once they revealed the way to become "Force Sensitive", I felt compelled to grind and grind until I finally got it. The game just started to go downhill from there.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Easy.  The better game is the one that did not win "Coaster of the Year" award twice.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by grimal
    Easy.  The better game is the one that did not win "Coaster of the Year" award twice.

That's funny. Almost every game listed under your avatar was a "coaster" to me.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by mmoDAD
    Originally posted by grimal

That's funny. Almost every game listed under your avatar was a "coaster" to me.

Sadly, none of them attained that coveted title.......but SWG did!

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    SWG was far superior and  i spent a happy 2 years in swg, and a misreable 3 months in ToR which combined with subs and the CE edition turned out to be a very expensive game for me.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Even at SWGs worst its light years better than SWTOR could ever hope to be

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

SWTOR - Play your own story.

SWG - Make your own story.

"Live the greatest saga ever told; yours." - I'll never forget that.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Precu SWG all the way.  It's not even close.  Even NGE SWG was light years ahead.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    SWG made for a better MMO.  TOR is an enjoyable game, but overall it feels more like KOTOR 3 with a few multiplayer options.  SWG was a game that had a community, and you made your own name for good or bad.  

TOR will be a much better game if it is KOTOR3 with an online component. I also think that TOR can have much better combat. Right now, fighting 3 measely worker as a jedi or sith ... does not feel powerful nor heroic. I am more in favor of Force Unleash type combat where you can fight 10s of enemies.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    SWG, hands down. I dont consider SW:TOR to be a proper MMO. It is more like a story driven single player RPG with a multiplayer component added.

Hmm that is so far from the truth. I have nothing against SWG but to say TOR is not an mmo is laughable. I take it you have never played or made a character above 20? I take it you never joined a guild? I take it you never crafted a purple item and sold it on the AH? I take it you never ran a flaspoint, ops, or entered a heroic area? I guess if you never did those you could say what you said.

Funny how you mentioned everything you can do in wow, but didnt mention the comunity.  hanging around in a bar and talking about nothing with , or doing massive and organized sieges to take points, or world events.

You know, The first "M" in MMO stands for MASSIVE, swotor doesnt feel massive, just kinda empty and story driven (not even character driven as it should fucking be ._.)

It has one redeming quality tho, the people that play it are cool for the most part, always willing to help, so thats the only reason id play it. Too bad that the content is either too solo friendly or stupid and its usually both.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by LhynnSaint

Hmm that is so far from the truth. I have nothing against SWG but to say TOR is not an mmo is laughable. I take it you have never played or made a character above 20? I take it you never joined a guild? I take it you never crafted a purple item and sold it on the AH? I take it you never ran a flaspoint, ops, or entered a heroic area? I guess if you never did those you could say what you said.

Funny how you mentioned everything you can do in wow, but didnt mention the comunity.  hanging around in a bar and talking about nothing with , or doing massive and organized sieges to take points, or world events.

You know, The first "M" in MMO stands for MASSIVE, swotor doesnt feel massive, just kinda empty and story driven (not even character driven as it should fucking be ._.)

It has one redeming quality tho, the people that play it are cool for the most part, always willing to help, so thats the only reason id play it. Too bad that the content is either too solo friendly or stupid and its usually both.

Massive? Have you ever been part of a large group that took down a Massive world boss?

Ever been in a siege movilizing hundreds if not thousands of players? making or breaking alliances with other guilds.

besides, shouldnt a single jedi be able to deal with pretty much anything with enough level of mastery of the force?

Sorry kid, you are playing MORPG, thats all it is. its not that bad tho, you can still have fun...

Its just as much of an MMO as a persistent neverwinter nights server, but with less RPing, and a million times less customization of your character.