Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darth Debate: SWG Vs. SWTOR

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Vs. Star Wars: The Old Republic

Which did you enjoy the most and why?

Comments

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    SWG made for a better MMO.  TOR is an enjoyable game, but overall it feels more like KOTOR 3 with a few multiplayer options.  SWG was a game that had a community, and you made your own name for good or bad.  
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Personally, neither.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Star Wars Galaxies was better.

Hmm. Let me try to choose my words carefully. SWG seemed like it was made for adults, whereas SWTOR felt like it was made for 6th-9th graders.

SWG was deeper in almost every aspect, e.g., exploration, crafting, economy, world size, social environment. SWTOR, however, was deeper via story & lore.

SWTOR felt like I was watching a movie. SWG felt like I was making a movie.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Is this supposed to be close?  I'm pretty sure the population here prefers swg because of the crafting and the rose colored SAFTEY GOGGLES!
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Obviously SWG..  That's like comparing the best restaurant in town with the absolute worst restaurant in town ;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Let me put it this way, compared to SWTOR, SWG was a masterpiece. And it actually felt like a STAR WARS game.

SWTOR feels like an example how to not design a MMO.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Why? some things are just too obvious to need any kind of explanation image
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Hmm. Let me try to choose my words carefully. SWG seemed like it was made for adults, whereas SWTOR felt like it was made for 6th-9th graders.

SWG was deeper in almost every aspect, e.g., exploration, crafting, economy, world size, social environment. SWTOR, however, was deeper via story & lore.

Exactly!!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by aktalat
    Originally posted by FromHell

Let me put it this way, compared to SWTOR, SWG was a masterpiece. And it actually felt like a STAR WARS game.

SWTOR feels like an example how to not design a MMO.

SWG still has features (housing, harvestors, crafting, dancing / music, I won"t go on) that few if any other games have been able to implement.

SWG was a masterpiece.... a really demented crazy masterpiece, but nonetheless a super-fun fun piece of gonzo work. :)

SWTOR is a template-done cash shop zergfest, with dozens of games already doing it better.

Sad to see SWG go.

I hear ya. It's like innovation started to devolve after SWG, whereas marketing and cash-making ploys began evolving after WoW.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Vs. Star Wars: The Old Republic

Which did you enjoy the most and why?

SWG ( pre cu ) the only alternative for me.

SWG was the MMORPG with the biggest potential of all.

Even in its unfinished and flawed version, it was the most fun game I've ever played.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by Swanea
    Is this supposed to be close?  I'm pretty sure the population here prefers swg because of the crafting and the rose colored SAFTEY GOGGLES!

No goggles needed.  I preferred it because it was a better MMO.  Played plenty before, and after it.  Amazingly the only one that my enjoyment of is ever questioned is SWG.  People like you keep saying that I didn't really like it, and that all my good memories of it are because of rose tinted glasses.  If I hadn't of liked it then I would have done like I did with every other game that I haven't enjoyed (both before, and after swg).  I wouldn't have subbed. Currently I do have a sub for TOR.  Not because it is a great game, but because I am enjoying it for the time being.  I guess in a couple years any good memories I have from TOR will be because of rose tinted glasses. Just like all my memories from any other game.  I haven't really enjoyed any of them.  I just thought I did.  

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I stayed with SWG for 6 straight years. I am lucky to last 6 months in any other MMO. Like others have said...SWG felt like Star Wars.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I'd say... SWTOR felt like I was interacting in a movie.  SWG felt like I was participating in a documentary.  A really bugged, rubber bandy documentary.

SWG was better and more interesting in concept, but a trainwreck in implementation.  SWTOR was KOTOR 3, for better or for worse.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

SWG pre NGE because it was one of the few mmos out there that actually feels like a virtual world.

When you get people who wants to be spice pushers and dancers in a game, you know it is a virtual world lol

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

well I played swg for about 5 months off/on, never more than a week at a time.  While there were a lot of option, personally I felt the game was complete garbage.

I played swtor for about 20 days straight so hmm.  I'd say swtor was more fun for me.  Overall the two were about the same, for very different reasons. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    swtor is lame sauce and does not even comare to swg. 
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

SWG pre NGE because it was one of the few mmos out there that actually feels like a virtual world.

When you get people who wants to be spice pushers and dancers in a game, you know it is a virtual world lol

Yup.

It was the only game where I could always log in and do something different.

If I didn't want to craft, I could go prospect for the new resources.

If I didn't want to do that, I could go PvE and try for rare items drops (Rancor hide was always a favorite).

If I didn't want to PvE, there was ALWAYS PvP rolling somewhere, In Theed, Cnet, or between Anchorhead/Bestine.

If I didn't want to PvP, I could go PvE or PvP in space.

And all of that was if there was nothing going on on the guild side or if noone in the guild needed help with something.

There has never been a game with so many different things to do, and most of them entertaining (even the crafting, I LOVED getting the big numbers on crafted items).

Too bad SOE mismanaged that game into oblivion....

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

SWG even after the NGE/CU was still a better game than most these new aged mmo's. The NGE did bring some good features, but also destroyed a few many loved. It was a love/hate thing. I played from day one for 71/2 years and still can not find many games even close to it. But my hopes are high with the new push for sandboxes coming up soon.

If SWTOR was made after SWG it would have done far better in my opinion.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Voted SWG.  For me SWTOR runs too poorly to even be considered for a vote, plus it rides on rails.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It is funny remembering back to before SWTOR was released.  All these people here on the mmorpg.com forums calling it the wow killer, saying it'd be the best ever, praising its voice overs.

If it was the same game as far as mechanics and features, but the graphics and text and such were changed so that it didn't relate to Star Wars in any way, I wonder how big a difference that would have made in the hype for it.

I mean, it's got Star Wars in the name so it must be the second coming of video game jesus, right?

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    This poll needs the option "I made this poll to beat a dead horse"
    Originally posted by Oberholzer
    This poll needs the option "I made this poll to beat a dead horse"

What if that option got more than one vote?

Originally posted by aktalat
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

It is funny remembering back to before SWTOR was released.  All these people here on the mmorpg.com forums calling it the wow killer, saying it'd be the best ever, praising its voice overs.

If it was the same game as far as mechanics and features, but the graphics and text and such were changed so that it didn't relate to Star Wars in any way, I wonder how big a difference that would have made in the hype for it.

I mean, it's got Star Wars in the name so it must be the second coming of video game jesus, right?

Um, I think the question was SWG vs SWTOR and why.... :)

Ok, sorry.  To answer, I'd take SWG over SWTOR.  The feature set, the skill system, the crafting, the open-ness.

Most importantly, it isn't SWTOR.

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Exactly!!

Only played swtor but my over estimation of what it would be versus what it was means that very few games could ever be as big of a disappointment so if swg had 1 redeeming quality that's 1 more than tor had sadly.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    I missed the boat and didn't get to play SW:G. But given that one day of beta was enough to persuade me that TOR was horrible, I'm sure it would be the better of the two.