Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Revival

2»

Comments

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Support Indie Developers

Darkfall: Unholy Wars

Xsyon

Sandbox is the future and the asians are the first ones to recognize it with Arch Age

• karter64karter64 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by Neherun
    Originally posted by karter64

"People that weren’t good at it weren’t invited into the guild."

And with this comment we now see why so many games have gone solo friendly.

People can't stand being less than above average in virtual worlds?

No, I think people that aren't great at a game don't mind it, but if the community deems them unworthy for not being good, the players will leave for someplace they fit in.

During my years in Asherons Call most guilds were awesome to people whether or not they were good at the game. Perhaps it was because of the Patron / Vassel system or the random loot system, people didn't seem to mind helping or associating with less skilled players (like myself).

In my years in Wow I spent most my time solo and unguilded because I didn't have the skillset to run raids to get the equipment needed to run raids ad infintum. The difference in community was day & night. But since it was so solo friendly I had options.

Pehaps I interpretted Pokkets comment incorrectly and should apologize, but it just kind of struck me as "if you ain't good enough, get outta my game"

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Free pvp was never my taste, and hence I faded out of UO back then.

But imagine how much concent and advanced a game you could create if you made a 2d isometric mmorpg with the budged it takes to make a mediocre 3d game. How often have you not thought, if only diablo2 could be turned into a mmorpg. Some attempts have been tried, but they were/are still falling towards action based gameplay, rather than evolving mmorpg features with more tactical and social gameplay (grouping, having a role) and open worlds etc.

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

UO was the GREATEST game of all time I was a Disciple of C*P we only had about 10 players in guild but each of us was worth 5-7 others  mwahaha I  miss when an mmo required some skill not just button smashing. Loved going out naked with 10 of each herb 5 of each pot an a gm weapon an coming home with full stone bags an full set of gear lol. Sony kills all the good games >.< UO-SWG-C&C-C&C Renegade WTF SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh wait they had the final imput on SWtoR too didn't they

If it took you more then 2-3 days of macroing to finish anything cept spell resist you were jus doing it wrong.  8x8 method yo

• ZerdZerd Member UncommonPosts: 26

I loved UO. I remember watching my uncle play when I was 13, thinking "This looks awesome."

That began my journey down the long path of MMO's. Him telling me to kill animals outside Moonglow to get him hides. That was also my first run into PK'ing the same day. Killing a hind and someone running up to me and one shotting me with a heavy crossbow.

I also laugh at the people saying "If it took more than 2 days to become 8x GM you were doing it wrong." Maybe you should've played before 8x8 was introduced and you'd see... it took a long time to get even 1x GM. Back when you could buy tents for a house, not plots you could customize. Before meditation and eval int helped spell damage.

This was the best MMO of it's time. It makes me want to play it again... but it won't be the same.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    One of the better things about this game is that folks didn't use the term "zerg" to describe groups, because nobody used that term. So sick and tired of the flock mentality constantly using their zerg terminology (most people don't even use it correctly, that is making any sense with the actual Zerg mechanics) :) Using those terms, at the end, made this write up seem cheesy as hell to me.