Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused by the hype

13»

Comments

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Callidor

As a huge fan of Shadowbane, Im dying for a good team based pvp game, however Im hesitant to invest in DFUW. ....

Remember if you bought Darkfall 1.0 (and I assume you did as from memory there was no free-play option when NA-1 launched) then Tasos has confirmed you won't need to repurchase the game, just pay a 1 month sub when the time comes,  download, and you're back.

A lot of people would be REALLY hesitant if they had to pay full price for Darkfall : Unholy Wars given darkfall 1.0 really did have genuine and deep problems.  However the whole point of the new game is to overcome those deep problems, so at $10 to $15 (I haven't seen a confirmed sub price/plans yet) I really don't think it is a risk at all for ex-Darkfallers to come back and try out the new game.  I spend more on a night watching a bad movie!   

Besides, many players still cherish the memory of the first days of Darkfall, where mana missle and goblin bows were the weapons of choice :)  Darkfall : Unholy Wars might or might not live up to its hype, same as any game.  But if it comes through, do you want to be one of those saying "damn, wish I hadn't missed that?"

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Burntvet

And on top of that, DF was programmed VERY poorly.

^ Let's be real here, that is why they are making a totally new game, rather than trying to fix the old code.  Same game concept, just with loads more years of game programming experience this time round.  They could not do "basic" things in Darkfall 1.0 due to the way it was programmed, this time they should be in a much (MUCH) better place to tweak adapt and fix things.  You can't put more sand in the sandbox when the box can't handle the sand it had ... so they made a whole new box :)

• DrokaFonDrokaFon Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Loke666

I also find the hype somewhat odd. Not that DF was that bad but the game was hyped before release and still only managed to get a rather small but faithfull playerbase.

Even if they manage to get 5 times the original players it would still be a rather small nichegame compared to most other MMOs so the level of the hype seems strangely high to me.

I understand why DFs hype was so large before, they had an rather impressive list of features they planned to add when they first showed us the game but most of those features got scrapped during development, sometimes are stuff impossible to implement no matter how cool the sound on paper, and sometimes do some things sound really fun but isnt. Most people here quit the game pretty fast as I remember even if the hardcore fans were really hardcore.

So nothing against DF:UW but I just dont see it reaching 100K players no matter what they do, it seems just too niched.

Or maybe you guys just know something I missed...

The game sold enough for them to hire more devs, upgrade offices, pay down loans, get investors, and relanch the game with completely new systems, better graphics, and upgraded technology. I'm pretty sure DFO sold at least 100k. Hell, EU launch had at least 50k people. 

The reason there is hype is because there isn't anything good coming out any time soon, DF:UW offers the only viable full loot FFA PvP game, its the only sandbox game being launched, and it LOOKS GOOD!

Note to the people who think DFO is paper rock sisscors: its not really. Looking at the roles, each role has its strength and weaknesses, and each role has a way to counter the strengths of every other role (from the looks of it). For it to be rock paper sisscors, you wouldn't be able to counter paper with rock

Gaiz this is simpull rock paper sisscors has 3 choices dark fall uw has 4.../face palm 

On a side note xipher can youbpm me n tell me how to get my Df form account working , I linked it to my Df account and activated it but it says I don't have privileges to post, I tried posting everywhere even in public. :(

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Salenger
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    Originally posted by corpusc

you are gonna let DarthRaiden influence you?

its not obvious he was one of the most unbalanced posters both before AND after his flipflop stance on DF?

It isn't me who doing flip flops.

Who did declare war on Ed Zitron back in 2009  but now accept all the unneeded stuff eddi boy complained about and Tasos and AV rushed to add to game pleasing him and hislikes despite there have been more important things and better solutions and direction to take for all the  potential  original DF  had?

Its clearly not me ...

I am not the one who claims how different the game is from DF1 and how "new" it is and applaud it in the same time...

The good thing is this time Eddi boy will find his greatsword and will equip it and connect  hits on you and own you in UW if you got the wrong role and he choose the right one by accident...

Im clearly missing your point lol.

then you got MINE.  8)

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Salenger
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

you are gonna let DarthRaiden influence you?

its not obvious he was one of the most unbalanced posters both before AND after his flipflop stance on DF?

It isn't me who doing flip flops.

Who did declare war on Ed Zitron back in 2009  but now accept all the unneeded stuff eddi boy complained about and Tasos and AV rushed to add to game pleasing him and hislikes despite there have been more important things and better solutions and direction to take for all the  potential  original DF  had?

Its clearly not me ...

I am not the one who claims how different the game is from DF1 and how "new" it is and applaud it in the same time...

The good thing is this time Eddi boy will find his greatsword and will equip it and connect  hits on you and own you in UW if you got the wrong role and he choose the right one by accident...

Im clearly missing your point lol.

then you got MINE.  8)

Need to know Zitron's review and what he complained the most about to get the point.

It was obvioulsy suff like animations, graphics, UI and how he didn't know how to put his weapon in hotbar, use it and hit something with it and how to drag and drop items from the bank to his bag.

Now DF:UW is like a rush to respond to Zitron concerns ignoring all the serious suggestions the real playerbase had. (suggestion forums had lots of gameplay suggestions and very few of them had anything to do with what DF:UW gets advertised now)

Like improved econonomy, regional banks, improved crafting, real playerdriven housing etc...

But yea Tasos made Zitron more  happy now with UW he might be able to use the UI ...

Because many did the flip flop with UW i still demand the real DF changes to make DF a real good MMO and sandbox game, thats why i dont care about the Zitronization of DF that much with the fancy UI vault if the crafting is still dumb and player houses still depend on rare random loot made from random spawning items and noone can place city buildings wherever he likes and caravans consists  from real traders getting their goods in other regions and pirates do attack cargo ships that have goods on them, in a attempt to get them to distant harbors ...

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• MoriteMorite Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Callidor

As a huge fan of Shadowbane, Im dying for a good team based pvp game, however Im hesitant to invest in DFUW. I unfortunately listened to some of the hardcore fans and tried DF shortly after release in NA, and it was crushingly disappointing to me. ...

Best point is that you wont have to buy the game just subscribe as you already owned an account. So you can pay 14 $ and go find out yourself.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by goartusk55

I took all your stuff and the pain you feel for your wasted time brings me joy.

If you cant grasp that concept, then DF isn't for you. 

You clearly don`t work in commercial business. Stop acting like an elitist, and advertize the game like this.

You took all my stuff, and the joy you feel brings me pain for my wasted time.

If you can`t grasp that concept, then DF isn`t for you.

Never let a potensial customer feel your product will make him feel pain, that`s not a good sale strategy. And who knows, with the new roles, he might kick your elitist arse. *smiles*