Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why PVP scares some people?

My first mmos played (UO and L2) had open PVP and it was regarded as essential part of the enviroment, indispensable to the social, political and economic dynamics of the virtual world. People in almost totality did all the other things provided by the server (pve, craft, etc) preparing to pvp in search of resources, domains, ownerships of castles/fortress/territorys, glory, respect, rivalry, revenge, fun and etc.

I only made contact with people that hate PVP after joining WoW and reading foruns. This was a novelty to me and let me very intrigued and curious about the reasons of the people that avoid PVP. Reading opinions and various texts in the internet, i saw that this population "pvp-hater" can be subdivided in 2 categories: people that likes or is indiferent to pvp itself, but hates the "free pvp" ("open world FFA pvp") and people that are truly scared of any type of pvp, even the structured. I came to a conclusion about the ultimate (or primary) causes that make PVP be disliked by some  people:

 

1- PVE characters stays in certain spots waiting to be approached, while players can come to you.

 

       Keeping all the other factors equal, is this the main "annoyance" of the pvp to much people. If the monsters stayed wandering the world, invading cities, aproaching players while they are occupied, distracted, no prepared or no "in mood" to fight, this "annoyance" would be regarded as a normal thing and pvp would be less loathed by these people. These monster and other AI NPC attacks would be considered "legitimates" and source of thrill, adrenaline and adventure, challenging the players in strive to survive, dodging or fighting the threats. But the same, if made by human-controled characters, is (consciously or no) regarded as "illegitimate", "desnecessary", "harassment", etc

But in 99,9% of  today mmos, the PVE characters stay stopped in specific spots waiting to be slaughtered like sheeps in the pasture (see item 2).

This item explains the complains about "balance", zerg and trans-level kill too: PVE characters can too be "overpowered", in greater number or higher lv, but they stay in their spots, allowing the players approach them only if in advantageous conditions.

 

 

2- Human-controled characters is much more harder to defeat in 99% of the time.

 

As the AI tecnology is still far away from the capacity of a actual human brain, the human-controled characters, in equal conditions, will be more harder to defeat and unpredictable. To defeat a human-controled player requires a minimum of training, attention and motor coordination from the players, ie, skill and mental work, which not everyone is willling to do or have. Some people (i dont know if the majority or no) wanna play a mmo to just  "relax" and do unchallenging things as pastime, like knitting.

If the AI controlled characters had the same complex fighting behavior and tactics of the humans, the pvp would be less hated by these people too, since there wouldn't much difference.

 PVE characters can only become "hard" with gigantic increase in their stats, but still are predictable like a bull in the arena and can be easily beaten by a group of players whose only "challenge" is to form and keep a group able to memorize a handful of "movements". 

 

3- In most mmos, PVE offfers more guaranteed rewards.

 

This is the main reason to much people. In 99% of the mmos, the PVE offers game rewards in a regular and guaranteed way, while PVP dont, or, if it offers, is at a high risk that sometimes dont compensates. Many mmos fails in create a functional risk-reward system  to the pvp, and ends up not attracting the population that dont pvp for fun, but could happily (?) pvp if the potential reward is tempting. These mmos with bad risk-reward systems makes the pvp be practiced only by the people that have fun in doing it regardless of the "reward".

The sandboxes mmos almost always creates a good risk-reward system, since the players competes by countless things in the open world.

 

 

In summary: pvp requires more work, attention and skill to be handled (either fighting, fleeing, dodging or avoiding) and not always gives valuable rewards to tempt the people turned away by these requirements.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    

 

"What we are aiming in ArcheAge is to let the players feel the true fun of MMORPG by forming a community like real life by interacting with other players, whether it be conflict or cooperation." (Jake Song)

image
«13456711

Comments

  • DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member
    Its not that im against pvp. Im against full loot FORCED pvp. Thats the main reason I dont play MO or DF. I shouldnt be forced into entering a pvp situation. Thats why I enjoy pve servers, I can pvp When I choose to. I also prefer large scale battles or RVR type battles. Single or small group engagements to me are not exciting.

    Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

  • maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 SPosts: 510Member
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Its not that im against pvp. Im against full loot FORCED pvp. Thats the main reason I dont play MO or DF. I shouldnt be forced into entering a pvp situation. Thats why I enjoy pve servers, I can pvp When I choose to. I also prefer large scale battles or RVR type battles. Single or small group engagements to me are not exciting.

    So, you fits the item 1 described in the text.

    "What we are aiming in ArcheAge is to let the players feel the true fun of MMORPG by forming a community like real life by interacting with other players, whether it be conflict or cooperation." (Jake Song)

    image
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

    Are you referring to PvP in general, or OWPvP/FFAPvP? There are many people who are fine with PvP, just not with open world PvP, free for all PvP or full loot PvP. It's not PvP that turns them off, it's specific implementations of PvP.

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member

    I'm not against PvP. I certainly am not "scared" of it (love how people use the word scared for people who don't like things, but i digress).

    However, I'm what you would call a "terribad", so I avoid PvP for the most part.

    I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

  • maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 SPosts: 510Member
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Its not that im against pvp. Im against full loot FORCED pvp. Thats the main reason I dont play MO or DF. I shouldnt be forced into entering a pvp situation. Thats why I enjoy pve servers, I can pvp When I choose to.

    So why are you waiting ArcheAge?  Is better read about the game before to wait. :D

    "What we are aiming in ArcheAge is to let the players feel the true fun of MMORPG by forming a community like real life by interacting with other players, whether it be conflict or cooperation." (Jake Song)

    image
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member


    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Originally posted by DSWBeef Its not that im against pvp. Im against full loot FORCED pvp. Thats the main reason I dont play MO or DF. I shouldnt be forced into entering a pvp situation. Thats why I enjoy pve servers, I can pvp When I choose to.
    So why are you waiting ArcheAge?  Is better read about the game before to wait. :D


    There's a good bit of non-PvP sandbox content in the game. It's also possible to setup protected areas. So while the game has PvP, it's possible to have some control of it.

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • dopplemmodopplemmo toronto, ONPosts: 31Member
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Reading opinions and various texts in the internet, i saw that this population "pvp-hater" can be subdivided in 2 categories: people that likes or is indiferent to pvp itself, but hates the "free pvp" ("open world FFA pvp") and people that are truly scared of any type of pvp, even the structured.

     

    Your post starts on the wrong foot, and thus will likely lead nowhere interesting.

    You insinuate that there are 3 basic attitudes of players toward PVP:
    -like it
    -indifferent
    -scared by it.

    If you had really wanted to make three mutually exclusive states, the third category would have read: dislike it

    But no, they are sssscccaaaaarrrreeddd.......

    What would you say if I described the 3 basic attitudes of players toward PVE:
    -like it
    -indifferent
    -scared by it.

  • maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 SPosts: 510Member
    Originally posted by lizardbones

     


    Originally posted by maccarthur2004

    Originally posted by DSWBeef Its not that im against pvp. Im against full loot FORCED pvp. Thats the main reason I dont play MO or DF. I shouldnt be forced into entering a pvp situation. Thats why I enjoy pve servers, I can pvp When I choose to.
    So why are you waiting ArcheAge?  Is better read about the game before to wait. :D

    There's a good bit of non-PvP sandbox content in the game. It's also possible to setup protected areas. So while the game has PvP, it's possible to have some control of it.

     

    In my knowledge, only the start areas and houses (in most situations) will be "protected". Out of them, anyone can kill anyone, with penaltys if the same faction in the southern continents. The northern continent will be "lawless".

     

     

    "What we are aiming in ArcheAge is to let the players feel the true fun of MMORPG by forming a community like real life by interacting with other players, whether it be conflict or cooperation." (Jake Song)

    image
  • funyahnsfunyahns michigan city, INPosts: 315Member
    I like Pvp just not in MMO's.  If you have to get a lot of gear it makes it worse
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Posts: 5,314Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004

    My first mmos played (UO and L2) had open PVP and it was regarded as essential part of the enviroment, indispensable to the social, political and economic dynamics of the virtual world. People in almost totality did all the other things provided by the server (pve, craft, etc) preparing to pvp in search of resources, domains, ownerships of castles/fortress/territorys, glory, respect, rivalry, revenge, fun and etc.

    I only made contact with people that hate PVP after joining WoW and reading foruns. This was a novelty to me and let me very intrigued and curious about the reasons of the people that avoid PVP. Reading opinions and various texts in the internet, i saw that this population "pvp-hater" can be subdivided in 2 categories: people that likes or is indiferent to pvp itself, but hates the "free pvp" ("open world FFA pvp") and people that are truly scared of any type of pvp, even the structured. I came to a conclusion about the ultimate (or primary) causes that make PVP be disliked by some  people:

     

    1- PVE characters stays in certain spots waiting to be approached, while players can come to you.

     

           Keeping all the other factors equal, is this the main "annoyance" of the pvp to much people. If the monsters stayed wandering the world, invading cities, aproaching players while they are occupied, distracted, no prepared or no "in mood" to fight, this "annoyance" would be regarded as a normal thing and pvp would be less loathed by these people. These monster and other AI NPC attacks would be considered "legitimates" and source of thrill, adrenaline and adventure, challenging the players in strive to survive, dodging or fighting the threats. But the same, if made by human-controled characters, is (consciously or no) regarded as "illegitimate", "desnecessary", "harassment", etc

    But in 99,9% of  today mmos, the PVE characters stay stopped in specific spots waiting to be slaughtered like sheeps in the pasture (see item 2).

    This item explains the complains about "balance", zerg and trans-level kill too: PVE characters can too be "overpowered", in greater number or higher lv, but they stay in their spots, allowing the players approach them only if in advantageous conditions.

     

     

    2- Human-controled characters is much more harder to defeat in 99% of the time.

     

    As the AI tecnology is still far away from the capacity of a actual human brain, the human-controled characters, in equal conditions, will be more harder to defeat and unpredictable. To defeat a human-controled player requires a minimum of training, attention and motor coordination from the players, ie, skill and mental work, which not everyone is willling to do or have. Some people (i dont know if the majority or no) wanna play a mmo to just  "relax" and do unchallenging things as pastime, like knitting.

    If the AI controlled characters had the same complex fighting behavior and tactics of the humans, the pvp would be less hated by these people too, since there wouldn't much difference.

     PVE characters can only become "hard" with gigantic increase in their stats, but still are predictable like a bull in the arena and can be easily beaten by a group of players whose only "challenge" is to form and keep a group able to memorize a handful of "movements". 

     

    3- In most mmos, PVE offfers more guaranteed rewards.

     

    This is the main reason to much people. In 99% of the mmos, the PVE offers game rewards in a regular and guaranteed way, while PVP dont, or, if it offers, is at a high risk that sometimes dont compensates. Many mmos fails in create a functional risk-reward system  to the pvp, and ends up not attracting the population that dont pvp for fun, but could happily (?) pvp if the potential reward is tempting. These mmos with bad risk-reward systems makes the pvp be practiced only by the people that have fun in doing it regardless of the "reward".

    The sandboxes mmos almost always creates a good risk-reward system, since the players competes by countless things in the open world.

     

     

    In summary: pvp requires more work, attention and skill to be handled (either fighting, fleeing, dodging or avoiding) and not always gives valuable rewards to tempt the people turned away by these requirements.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

        

     

     Interesting premise.  I don't think pvp requires any more work really.  Sandboxes really have nothing to do with risk vs rewards or pvp, those are three different beasts a sandbox would still be sandbox with or without those other two.

    Please elaborate on the experiences you've had that led you to the conclusion that people are scared of pvp in a video game.  This seems very strange to me.

    Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

  • maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 SPosts: 510Member
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Originally posted by lizardbones

     


    Originally posted by maccarthur2004

    Originally posted by DSWBeef Its not that im against pvp. Im against full loot FORCED pvp. Thats the main reason I dont play MO or DF. I shouldnt be forced into entering a pvp situation. Thats why I enjoy pve servers, I can pvp When I choose to.
    So why are you waiting ArcheAge?  Is better read about the game before to wait. :D

    There's a good bit of non-PvP sandbox content in the game. It's also possible to setup protected areas. So while the game has PvP, it's possible to have some control of it.

     

    In my knowledge, only the start areas and houses (in most situations) will be "protected". Out of them, anyone can kill anyone, with penaltys if the same faction in the southern continents. The northern continent will be "lawless".

     

     

     Complementing: there will be a little of "loot-pvp" too. The itens required to build (wood, stones, etc) will need to be carried by the players (in a visible and encumbrance way)) from storage or extraction point to the spot, and will drop if the player dies.

     

    Scared? :D

     

    "What we are aiming in ArcheAge is to let the players feel the true fun of MMORPG by forming a community like real life by interacting with other players, whether it be conflict or cooperation." (Jake Song)

    image
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Originally posted by lizardbones

     


    Originally posted by maccarthur2004

    Originally posted by DSWBeef Its not that im against pvp. Im against full loot FORCED pvp. Thats the main reason I dont play MO or DF. I shouldnt be forced into entering a pvp situation. Thats why I enjoy pve servers, I can pvp When I choose to.
    So why are you waiting ArcheAge?  Is better read about the game before to wait. :D

    There's a good bit of non-PvP sandbox content in the game. It's also possible to setup protected areas. So while the game has PvP, it's possible to have some control of it.

     

    In my knowledge, only the start areas and houses (in most situations) will be "protected". Out of them, anyone can kill anyone, with penaltys if the same faction in the southern continents. The northern continent will be "lawless".

     

     

    AA has a outlaw system which if it works will stop a lot of MINDLESS killing from the fear of going to trial or becoming an outlaw. While those guildw will exist there will be an equal number of outlaw hunting guilds. PVP type servers where pvp is open is alright to me, I use to play on one but when it turns from competitive one on one pvp to ganking I just log off and wait for him to leave. 

    Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

  • DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Originally posted by lizardbones

     


    Originally posted by maccarthur2004

    Originally posted by DSWBeef Its not that im against pvp. Im against full loot FORCED pvp. Thats the main reason I dont play MO or DF. I shouldnt be forced into entering a pvp situation. Thats why I enjoy pve servers, I can pvp When I choose to.
    So why are you waiting ArcheAge?  Is better read about the game before to wait. :D

    There's a good bit of non-PvP sandbox content in the game. It's also possible to setup protected areas. So while the game has PvP, it's possible to have some control of it.

     

    In my knowledge, only the start areas and houses (in most situations) will be "protected". Out of them, anyone can kill anyone, with penaltys if the same faction in the southern continents. The northern continent will be "lawless".

     

     

     Complementing: there will be a little of "loot-pvp" too. The itens required to build (wood, stones, etc) will need to be carried by the players (in a visible and encumbrance way)) from storage or extraction point to the spot, and will drop if the player dies.

     

    Scared? :D

     

    ...... Everytime you call someone "scared" I cant take you seriously. And no losing crafting amts doesnt bother me its when I lose gear that i get pissed off not "scared"

    Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

  • CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,273Member

    I don't think it has anything to do with anyone being scared of PVP, I never heard anyone ever say that, many hate PVP yes.

     

    I don't like PVP because:

    -the gameplay of PVP is 9 out of 10 time really really bad

    -the PVP community is usually incredibly rude

    -I have no time to deal with griefing little kids in an MMO

    -There is never cooperation in PVP games, it's always one person or a handful of peope button mashing, no organised raids

    -Many PVP players cry on the forum that classes aren't balanced because they get killed one-on-one, classes are not supposed to be balanced in PVE games that's what teamwork is for

    -etc etc etc

  • DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

    I don't think it has anything to do with anyone being scared of PVP, I never heard anyone ever say that, many hate PVP yes.

     

    I don't like PVP because:

    -the gameplay of PVP is 9 out of 10 time really really bad

    -the PVP community is usually incredibly rude

    -I have no time to deal with griefing little kids in an MMO

    -There is never cooperation in PVP games, it's always one person or a handful of peope button mashing, no organised raids

    -Many PVP players cry on the forum that classes aren't balanced because they get killed one-on-one, classes are not supposed to be balanced in PVE games that's what teamwork is for

    -etc etc etc

    Pretty much the same here.

    Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,473Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004

    My first mmos played (UO and L2) had open PVP and it was regarded as essential part of the enviroment, indispensable to the social, political and economic dynamics of the virtual world. People in almost totality did all the other things provided by the server (pve, craft, etc) preparing to pvp in search of resources, domains, ownerships of castles/fortress/territorys, glory, respect, rivalry, revenge, fun and etc.

    I only made contact with people that hate PVP after joining WoW and reading foruns. This was a novelty to me and let me very intrigued and curious about the reasons of the people that avoid PVP. Reading opinions and various texts in the internet, i saw that this population "pvp-hater" can be subdivided in 2 categories: people that likes or is indiferent to pvp itself, but hates the "free pvp" ("open world FFA pvp") and people that are truly scared of any type of pvp, even the structured. I came to a conclusion about the ultimate (or primary) causes that make PVP be disliked by some  people:

     

    1- PVE characters stays in certain spots waiting to be approached, while players can come to you.

     

           Keeping all the other factors equal, is this the main "annoyance" of the pvp to much people. If the monsters stayed wandering the world, invading cities, aproaching players while they are occupied, distracted, no prepared or no "in mood" to fight, this "annoyance" would be regarded as a normal thing and pvp would be less loathed by these people. These monster and other AI NPC attacks would be considered "legitimates" and source of thrill, adrenaline and adventure, challenging the players in strive to survive, dodging or fighting the threats. But the same, if made by human-controled characters, is (consciously or no) regarded as "illegitimate", "desnecessary", "harassment", etc

    But in 99,9% of  today mmos, the PVE characters stay stopped in specific spots waiting to be slaughtered like sheeps in the pasture (see item 2).

    This item explains the complains about "balance", zerg and trans-level kill too: PVE characters can too be "overpowered", in greater number or higher lv, but they stay in their spots, allowing the players approach them only if in advantageous conditions.

     

     

    2- Human-controled characters is much more harder to defeat in 99% of the time.

     

    As the AI tecnology is still far away from the capacity of a actual human brain, the human-controled characters, in equal conditions, will be more harder to defeat and unpredictable. To defeat a human-controled player requires a minimum of training, attention and motor coordination from the players, ie, skill and mental work, which not everyone is willling to do or have. Some people (i dont know if the majority or no) wanna play a mmo to just  "relax" and do unchallenging things as pastime, like knitting.

    If the AI controlled characters had the same complex fighting behavior and tactics of the humans, the pvp would be less hated by these people too, since there wouldn't much difference.

     PVE characters can only become "hard" with gigantic increase in their stats, but still are predictable like a bull in the arena and can be easily beaten by a group of players whose only "challenge" is to form and keep a group able to memorize a handful of "movements". 

     

    3- In most mmos, PVE offfers more guaranteed rewards.

     

    This is the main reason to much people. In 99% of the mmos, the PVE offers game rewards in a regular and guaranteed way, while PVP dont, or, if it offers, is at a high risk that sometimes dont compensates. Many mmos fails in create a functional risk-reward system  to the pvp, and ends up not attracting the population that dont pvp for fun, but could happily (?) pvp if the potential reward is tempting. These mmos with bad risk-reward systems makes the pvp be practiced only by the people that have fun in doing it regardless of the "reward".

    The sandboxes mmos almost always creates a good risk-reward system, since the players competes by countless things in the open world.

     

     

    In summary: pvp requires more work, attention and skill to be handled (either fighting, fleeing, dodging or avoiding) and not always gives valuable rewards to tempt the people turned away by these requirements.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

        

     

     Scared in a video game? Never gonna happen.

  • Vlhad77Vlhad77 Mountain Home, ARPosts: 139Member Uncommon
    i have nothing against nor do i hate pvp, but the only thing i do not like about it is that when its done wrong like the op said the paid to win crap, the obnoxious pvp community when they gank or kill someone that is oviously lower level then that person, and especially those that they think they have the right to CHEAT to win.  I mean really, that is what is pathetic about pvp.  But the good thing i like about it is that rush, that adrenalen that you get either you know your being hunted or you are the hunter.
  • BabyChooChooBabyChooChoo Silver Spring, MDPosts: 29Member
    Originally posted by funyahns
    I like Pvp just not in MMO's.  If you have to get a lot of gear it makes it worse

    This. I love competitive games, but I just cannot stand MMO PvP. I dunno, just everything about it annoys me.

    10 out of 10 games, it's X amount of dudes running around in a circle, casting spell X, using the only viable build for their class, hoping something procs or crits or whatever, and sometimes waiting for backup. It's just pure chaos in the worst way possible.

    It has nothing to do with spell effects or any of that either. I just think that, given the way most MMOs work at their core, they don't lend themselves well to PvP.

    Some people love mmo pvp. More power to 'em. I am clearly not one of those people.

  • maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 SPosts: 510Member
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

    I don't think it has anything to do with anyone being scared of PVP, I never heard anyone ever say that, many hate PVP yes.

     

    I don't like PVP because:

    -the gameplay of PVP is 9 out of 10 time really really bad

    I think exactly the opposite.

     

    -the PVP community is usually incredibly rude

    I had the opposite experience. The only mmo with "structured" PVP that i played (wow) have the worst community regarding the rudeness. If you are refering to griefers, i agree 100%, but if you are refering to the community of a mmo where pvp is free, i disagree, because in these communities is good to have many friends and little enemys to progress better.

     

    -I have no time to deal with griefing little kids in an MMO

    Described in item 1 of the OP text. You wanna only be the killer/hunter of dumb mobs and NEVER the target.

     

    -There is never cooperation in PVP games, it's always one person or a handful of peope button mashing, no organised raids

    LoL

    MMOs with pvp requires more cooperation to progress than "safe" mmos. In a mmo like WoW, the people group in very specific situations and in a transient way.

     

    -Many PVP players cry on the forum that classes aren't balanced because they get killed one-on-one, classes are not supposed to be balanced in PVE games that's what teamwork is for

     

    Isn't necessary to have "balance" in PVE, since the AI character are already far more weak or dumb.

     

    "What we are aiming in ArcheAge is to let the players feel the true fun of MMORPG by forming a community like real life by interacting with other players, whether it be conflict or cooperation." (Jake Song)

    image
  • MardukkMardukk Posts: 1,556Member Uncommon

    Well OP I'm in the camp that you didn't mention.  People that hate Esport PvP that has no point other than bragging rights.  Open world PvP is fine with me as long as it is towards a larger goal.

     

     I also have some resentment towards PvP as devs insist on watering down PvE in the name of PvP balance.  Class distinction is destroyed and fun powerful abilities are now 3 second fears and 2 second mezes.

  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Pacific Northwest, WAPosts: 682Member
    I don't think people are afraid of PvP, I think they just find a large portion of the people who gravitate toward it distasteful.

    Optional PvP = No PvP
  • maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 SPosts: 510Member
    Originally posted by Mardukk

    Well OP I'm in the camp that you didn't mention.  People that hate Esport PvP that has no point other than bragging rights.  Open world PvP is fine with me as long as it is towards a larger goal.

     

     I also have some resentment towards PvP as devs insist on watering down PvE in the name of PvP balance.  Class distinction is destroyed and fun powerful abilities are now 3 second fears and 2 second mezes.

    So, you fits in the item 3 from the starting text. :)

    "What we are aiming in ArcheAge is to let the players feel the true fun of MMORPG by forming a community like real life by interacting with other players, whether it be conflict or cooperation." (Jake Song)

    image
  • GruugGruug Chillicothe, ILPosts: 1,311Member Uncommon

    PvP "lovers" (in keeping with the nature of this thread) do not consider how imbalanced PvP can be. Particularly in a level based game. They also fail to acknowledge that there are absolutely no negative consequences for just "killing of killings sake". It is one thing to "kill" in the name of war, theivery or passion. It is a totatlly different thing to do it just because you can. To some, it is not "fun" to just be the victim of those that just want to get the epeen for the night. So, if I am a level 1 out doing quests and some level 50 comes along and beats me down he may get some sick pleasure out of it. I on the other hand just get a bad taste of what the game it going to be like. It is not "fear" as was pointed out in the opening post. It is just that there is no reason for it and it is not at all competitve.

    Speaking of competitive, what point is saying that it is "skill" when one player (or several in many cases) out levels their targets. What "skill" is involved if one person has far inferior equipment then someone that is fully high geared? Skill can only be measured if all possible variables as just mentioned are equal. Otherwise, it is not skill that wins those fights but the higher level or the much superior equipment.

    So don't tell me that PvP scares people. It doesn't scare people, they just don't like being on the wrong end of a badly mismatched system that is not fun.

     

    Let's party like it is 1863!

  • SinellaSinella BudapestPosts: 340Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    I don't think people are afraid of PvP, I think they just find a large portion of the people who gravitate toward it distasteful.

    This. I would have far less problem with  PvP if it wouldn't attract the bigest a-hole of the gaming community. My other problem with PvP ( well only with forced PvP, not in general ) that other players think they have the right to force me to entertain them when I don't feel so, and to be their content when I want to mind my own business. 

     

    OP, what if there was a game where another player could run up to you when you were having fun in an activity, could stop you doing that and could force you to sing a song for 5 minutes ? Would you enjoy that ? I'm not scared of PvP...I really doubt anyone is. But I can be very irritated by it, when other players waste and steal my precious gaming time.

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,452Member Uncommon

    I don't think that's the case at all.

    I think players who do not like pvp are generally against concentrating on something and then WHAM one shotted or besieged by a zerg of players. Then afterwards the attackers are sometimes just plain rude and insulting.

    I don't think they would have any problem with wandering npc monsters. Essentially it's the aggressive human element that turns them off unless the pvp is on their own terms.

    Meaning they have entered an area/battleground and are ready to fight and don't mind dying. In that case they are mentally prepared for waht is about to happen.

    As opposed to "oh look there's some iron... WHAM".

    back to town.

    noob.

«13456711
This discussion has been closed.