Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription

1235»

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,381
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by Scellow
    Originally posted by Kaminaxius

15$ / mo is nothing.

That's 2 pints of beer OR

1 visit to your friendly neighbourhood fastfood restaurant OR

1 movie at the theaters OR

1 Medium/large pizza..

1 night out with friends NO dinner involved = est. 150$ per person..

Man some people are just CHEAP-ASS

Don't want to cough it up, FINE don't play, but don't come here crying.

X100

The value of money differs from people ..

15$ a pizza from pizza hunt, but 5$ if you make it yourself

You need to read about how much money is needed to make and maintain an SANDBOX MMO you'll see that the game don't worth 15$/mth..

What the hell does it matter WHAT IT'S WORTH?! It's worth just as much as they ask, no more, no less. Can't/won't pay, DON'T.

Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Again your missing the point are you all that sure 15$ a month is still the optimal nujmber for max revenue, other than some unintelligent rants by some overly emo posters I haven;t seen any  good arguments.

I don't really give a rats a** what you're trying to "rationalize" about what's profitable and what is not, if they say it's 15$ it's 15$ end of discussion. If you want good "arguments" about how they could be more profitable by charging less (like that ever makes sense), take it to Aventurine i'm sure they'd be pleased to tell you why less isn't more.

Im not trying to rationalize anything but some of you sure as hell are lol and doing very poorly at that. The point is the game in its present situation wants to maximize profits that's for sure as such if they did bother to do a market study and it did show 10$ was more optimal you all would just have to shut up.

You all are very ignorant on how markets work, Did you all know when you go grocery shopping in those big chains often times in those nice  sales they have ( they do this with bananas often) they often sell one or two items at a loss just to attract people becuase they know those people will buy other things that are not on sale and they make money doing this?

Ofc this isn't exactly the same and they can't put the subs on sale for cost but they sure as hell should be looking at what an optimal sub price is as that can change over time and with the present economic situation.

This is the wrong place for you educate us on marketing, we do not control the company.

It doesn't matter to me wether it's 10 or 15, if it bothers you and your kind, take it to the proper recipients and see if something can be done about it.

It doesn't really matter to me either in the long run but it's an interesting subject for those inclined to speak about it and it's about an upcomming MMO and this is a forum about MMOS so  seems to me this is what forums are for.

You all seem to take this discussion very personally and respond with personal attacks and assumptions, maybe follow your own advice and  stay out of the thread if this subject doesn't interest you or makes you all upset.

I mean for people advocating that people should be" less cheap", responsible enough to "get a job"  etc some of you sure are not "acting" like adults.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

15$ / mo is nothing.

That's 2 pints of beer OR

1 visit to your friendly neighbourhood fastfood restaurant OR

1 movie at the theaters OR

1 Medium/large pizza..

1 night out with friends NO dinner involved = est. 150$ per person..

Man some people are just CHEAP-ASS

Don't want to cough it up, FINE don't play, but don't come here crying.

Everything you listed is overpriced food/drink or activities you have to go out for.

Let's compare it to things a bit more reasonable.

$15 a month is ten rentals from Redbox.

Almost two months subscription of Netflix or the price of Netflix and Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime combined.

Almost two Xbox Live Gold accounts, or Xbox Live Gold and Playstation Plus.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

You can't really view it like that unless there is a per day option lol.  My main gripe is with a 15$ a month plan is I then feel like I MUST play everyday or I am wasting money.

Oh yes I can - if you only spend one hour a month playing $5.00 is still cheap. Take $5.00 to a 7-11 and see how much you get.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Perhaps some of you need to find a new hobby if you're finding $15 a month too costly. 
  • ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    Perhaps some of you need to find a new hobby if you're finding $15 a month too costly. 

How about sorting through garbage for PET-bottles to recycle? If 15$ is too costly you might just need those extra bucks per day.

If you're from a country that has a recycling system like that ofc..

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

This ^

Although I agree that it would be nice to see some different pricing. It seems like companies refuse to lower the sub fee even if their game doesn't provide $15 a month worth a content.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Fk'n gamer logic I tell you...

If other hoobies were "free" it would be something like...

Golf Club Membership FREE, golf balls $10 each.

Gun Club Membership FREE, $1.00 a round.

You see where I am going with this... Time to buck up and support Indy developers to continue creating the hobbies we have come to enjoy.

Stop being one of these overly entitled gamers who feel every game should be free just because an eastern nation created the concept to overly monetize the competative gamer to death.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Originally posted by Wighty

Fk'n gamer logic I tell you...

If other hoobies were "free" it would be something like...

Golf Club Membership FREE, golf balls $10 each.

Gun Club Membership FREE, $1.00 a round.

You see where I am going with this... Time to buck up and support Indy developers to continue creating the hobbies we have come to enjoy.

Stop being one of these overly entitled gamers who feel every game should be free just because an eastern nation created the concept to overly monetize the competative gamer to death.

Again, we're not talking free version! Keep that in your head please, and stops, do not take this post as an attack against you  !

Why when right now there are numerous games I can play for free?

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

Small company with big ideas..

Poor economic times in there country even worse than US....

15 bones isnt much at all for unlimited play in a great game its equal to most p2p, and honestly AV deserves our support.  They have great ideals if they had 1mil subs backing there company who knows what kinda game we could have.  I personaly think supporting the little guy is an easy choice I already give money to the big guys why not people who care more about it.

Originally posted by the420kid

Small company with big ideas..

Poor economic times in there country even worse than US....

15 bones isnt much at all for unlimited play in a great game its equal to most p2p, and honestly AV deserves our support.  They have great ideals if they had 1mil subs backing there company who knows what kinda game we could have.  I personaly think supporting the little guy is an easy choice I already give money to the big guys why not people who care more about it.

No one 'deserves' more than what they earn. They are a company, not a charity case.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,381
    Originally posted by echolynfan

You can't really view it like that unless there is a per day option lol.  My main gripe is with a 15$ a month plan is I then feel like I MUST play everyday or I am wasting money.

Oh yes I can - if you only spend one hour a month playing $5.00 is still cheap. Take $5.00 to a 7-11 and see how much you get.

Do you even read the posts you quote or see one sentence and flame on ?  I have been talking about a 10$ fee and have said  a couple times I find 5$ too low to be reasonable.

The point is talking about what would generate more revenure via clients per sub, what price is optimal.  You all are acting like 15$ a month is some magical number that  MUST NOT BE DIVERTED from or else the world will end and such Doo000ooommM and gloom  reasoning.

At 10$ per month you don't even have to  double the player base you would get at 15$ per month to increase revenue.

Many of you have admitted that games make more money via f2p and shops than subs.  Do you know why though, it's because  they have learned if more people make less costly purchases rather than a few making more costly purchase revenue increases.

Ofc some f2p milk the hell out of it but the same basics apply to subs  if you can increase the playerbase  by having a slighlty cheaper sub price you will end up making more money, the trick is to balance the sub price via targeted playerbase.  As such I think the 15$ needs revision.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

have they announced the subscription plans yet or it's gonna be the same as in df1?

imo, it should be the same as df1 tho or maybe at a slight discount for say 20%-30% for around 6mths to lock in players during the critical 3-6mth after the launch.

just saying...

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm sure they have had a lot of meeting in order to determine price.  I would hope that they had some financial people there as well.  If I had to guess, I would bet that it will be closer to 15, than 10.

I self identify as a monkey.

The issue Aventurine is facing is that they are coming into a market that is completely different than when Darkfall was originally released. Game developers have to adapt or struggle to stay in the market with an old business model or try something different to stay competitive in this market.
  • MurphyleoMurphyleo Member Posts: 11

I have to chime in here .

I played DF when it initially came out , I also have played Eq2 (my first PC mmorpg), DAoC, CoH , Vanguard , Rift, Perfect World .......and wow a bunch of others i cant even remember them all . My economic situation was grim it was always grim i work retail management , im hourly , my company keeps moving the goal posts to avoid paying me a bonus and the job market sucks so its impossible for me to find another job making what i make after being with my company for almost 15 years .

I have never let that stop me before if i want to play a game i will pay and play , however i had never seen a game that didnt charge me a subscription that was worth playing and wasnt crappy and shoddy graphics wise or gameplay wise (example= Perfect World ).

That all changed just under 2 years ago .i found this crazy free game with micro trans named World Of Tanks.......since i started (and continue everyday) playing World of Tanks .....i cant bring myself to pay for sub quality anymore .....hell , i didnt even bother with CoD Black Ops 2 or BF3 Premium for just that reason , in my mind are either of them going to give me for 60 + dollars the quality i get for free with World of Tanks .......NO

the $15 a month WoW / Eq2 / whatever other sub game you want to put in model is a thing of the past , a company that wants to stay compeitive needs to change with the times , and BTW World of Tanks has some of the best moderated chat you can find in a game , beleive me even a person as well mannered as me has gotten chat banned numerous times when i let my tongue go too freely .

Micro Transactions and F2P are the way to go , even if you want to charge for the game client , i recently played Gw2 when it released for about 2 weeks before it bored me to tears, i was ticked i had wasted $70 dollars on it but not as ticked as i would be if i had gotten hit for a $15 extra.

Had Gw2 been a $15 sub game i would never have tried it . Had DF not been so cutting edge to me conceptually when ti first came out , a game where you can do whatever and kill whoever , i wouldnt have paid $15 a month for it then , now i will be honest i probably will pay $15 a month for it , cause im fiending for an RPg and a small break from FPS or 3PS depending , so it comes down to whether its worth it for the individual , to me it is ....but im 1 person with the economic times if you want it to be a hit , making it affordable to more cant be a bad thing imho.

• Sytek_88Sytek_88 Member UncommonPosts: 23

I would gladly pay 15$ a month for a game sub with the maximum potential of 744 hours of entertainment (give or take a few days)

then i would to drop 20$ at a cinema for 1-2 hours of entertainment