Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription

Comments

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

They should make it 0.0034 Congolese francs per month, if they do I am over 9000% sure that they will get 9.48200482 billion subs.

Anyway, if they don't price it so that average Congolese peasant can afford to play it during their free time, well then AV are just being fascist bastards.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

It's not always as easy as "lower price = get more money with more sales".

First it's the assumption that getting the price to $5 a month down from $15 will result in a 5x increase of subs... well, we have no way to know it. I might say as well that they will get just as many subs, or that they'll get just a 2x increase, and my prediction can be just as valid, in which case they might be losing money. Only they have enough tools to get a better idea of how much a lower price can work out (with unique website access and level of hype compared to simmilar produces recently released and how well they worked, price and cost analysis) and even then it would only amount to a more educated guess but nothing more. Also, it might be prudent to keep the regular price at first and then lower it if they plan to do it in the future (or even do a promotion of it being lower price for X time, maybe as a christmas promotion or something, and if it works, keep the lower price).

Another thing.. we humans (in general, with exceptions, of course) aren't good with numbers, our brain tends to clump them in ranges of what we consider acceptable or not... and for most people when it comes to prices, $15 seems to be a major cutting point of whether something is cheap and acceptable. I remember reading sometime ago (can't find the source now, though, but haven't looked much since I'm at work). Because of the way the brain works, we don't see much difference between paying $14 and $5 (to put an example), but go from $14 to $20, and it suddenly becomes a huge difference (note that I'm saying "we" not as in you and I, but as the average consumer). Also, that's why it's never really $15 but $14.95, so in our minds we see it as "less than 15" and put it in the lower category prices.

Plus, there's the sense of value. We are educated costumers, meaning we (mostly) know what we're getting into and see price as a secondary concern, most people don't, and in some cases lowering the price might actually have the opposite effect than the intended one. $15 and under already go into the "cheap enough" category for most people, but they still want the best value for what they pay for... and selling for a lower price might give the impression that it's a lesser value as well. There are actually cases where a product has sold better after increasing its price without doing any other change to it, solely due to the perceived value of the price Vs. other products of the same type.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148

Does anyone on this forum, think that a Freemium system generates less money than a subscription method for any non-Blizzard company?

Do you think the many companies/publishers moving to a freemium system are doing so to save the consumer money?

Do you think the average player that spends more than a few hours a month on one of these games is spending less than he would on the same game with a subscription?

If anyone answered Yes to any of the questions above, I'd suggest a bit more research and a bit more thought on the subject of corporate objectives.

These micro transactions have been proven to make a company more money per dollar invested in content than subscriptions do. Hence, the move by corporations to take advantage of it. While I am not totally against the ability to select what content you pay for, I suggest people think long and hard before requesting a free basic game where you pay 3.95 for each Dungeon released or Raid to play. Stop and consider how much that adds up, or how much your opponent in a game might be spending to out level/out race or even beat you over the head with the latest Champion release by Riot that costs 10 bux twice a month. 

I think the companies successfully making millions a month with this methodology have done a great job of selling less content for more dollars to a somewhat ignorant population of gamers clamoring to give Activsion another 60 bux next year for the 4th re-skinned edition of CoD. And the gamers keep of thanking them for it! 

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658
    The traditional P2P model has lost a lot of appeal for many gamers, myself included. This is one of the reasons there have been so many AAA title's that have gone F2P. This idea that you can just go get a new job is pretty silly right now. Heck it may not even be a job issue vs how many active subs do I want to pay for. 

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    Yea well if you want to pay less per month, then buy larger chunks of time. 12.99 for 6 months, 10.99 for 12, stuff like that. 
  • FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148

The issue isnt really about income. Its about a mentality.

Most of the gamers enjoying the F2P blight on gaming seem to fall into two categories. Those that want to buy advantage and spend many times a subscription price to gain advantage in some way, or those that feel they are entitled to play games free of charge. I know these entitled people and I dont want to game with them. Everyone one else uses it as a free trial and moves on after a few hours. This is particularly harmful to the PVP/Compeititve gaming niches. (As SOE/Planetside 2 are finding out...)

Further you haven't really conisdered the following:

Does anyone on this forum, think that a Freemium system generates less money than a subscription method for any non-Blizzard company?

Do you think the many companies/publishers moving to a freemium system are doing so to save the consumer money?

Do you think the average player that spends more than a few hours a month on one of these games is spending less than he would on the same game with a subscription?

• stugurtstugurt Member Posts: 45

Plus the game will be on Steam so a cheaper subscription will be much more beneficial.

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252

I can't believe the amount of crap being spewed here. Seriously take a simple economics course at your local community college and look up supply and demand curve graphs.

I personally feel like $9.99 is the most fair monthly sub.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

How about they just don't worry about the sub fee and actually deliver a quailty product that people want?

That's the best way to bring in lots of players.

Lowering the price doesn't make a game better. The worst thing you lose while playing a game is time and that's much more obvious when the game isn't as fun as another. People won't use something that is rubbish just because it's cheap (unless they honestly can't afford something that costs more), that applies to ALL consumer entertainment products. If there is a better game in this style that is $15 a month then that is what people will play.

By lowering the price of something you basically suggest you have a lower quality product, or make it obvious that it's popularity is low. That isn't always the case but it's how consumers judge things a lot of the time. Many people actually seek out higher pricing because they don't want to waste their 'time' by taking chances; they want to avoid experiencing something 'cheap' altogether.

The price should reflect the game's quality and the markets current rates. If it is as good as other sub MMOs priced at $15 a month.. it should be priced at $15 a month. If it isn't bringing in enough players then it can be viewed as not as good and should be lowered.

If they have made a good game they deserve to charge the highest rates available.

I can't afford to live in a mansion because they are considered better. If you can't afford an MMO that's considered better, that's life.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,378

The subs model is pretty much a dead failure at the old prices, I will never pay 15$ a month for a game period but i would pay 5$ a month.

Seems to me selling cheaply to many versus expensive to a few has alwaya been a good strategy.

Those telling other to go get a second job need to grow up already, not everyone is willing to pay 15 a month for a game and that more often than not has nothing to do with how much per year they make but rather with how much they are willing to spend on a "game".

IMHO no game anymore is worth 15 a month period.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

If Darkfall went "F2P", many would quit and the game would be shut down once the wave of entitlement players came and went without spending a cent.

Most of us are against "F2P" because these games force you to spend more than the price of a sub, if you wish to have any long term enjoyment or play competitively.

F2P works for kids games and themeparks for the self entitlement crowd and wow generation. Serious games need subs to work.

Darkfall is a very competitive game. If you could buy power in any way, it's not going to last long. Subscriptions level the playing field; Everyone is equal in a subscription based game.

As for a lower sub fee... They have to pay the bills somehow. Here we go again, self entitlement. If you don't want to pay the same we all pay, then don't play or complain. There are plenty of F2P games out there dedicated to your kind.

Originally posted by raapnaap

If Darkfall went "F2P", many would quit and the game would be shut down once the wave of entitlement players came and went without spending a cent.

Most of us are against "F2P" because these games force you to spend more than the price of a sub, if you wish to have any long term enjoyment or play competitively.

F2P works for kids games and themeparks for the self entitlement crowd and wow generation. Serious games need subs to work.

Darkfall is a very competitive game. If you could buy power in any way, it's not going to last long. Subscriptions level the playing field; Everyone is equal in a subscription based game.

As for a lower sub fee... They have to pay the bills somehow. Here we go again, self entitlement. If you don't want to pay the same we all pay, then don't play or complain. There are plenty of F2P games out there dedicated to your kind.

Redo  the math in f2p games if you plan on playing long term it's CHEAPER to buy permanent acces to each part, subs is only good if you want acces to all for a short period of time.

If your a content locust and suffer from ADD  and can't stomach a game for longer than a year then sub it will be cheaper for you, if on the other hand your the type to get into a game and play it for 4 years paying for permanent acces via f2p will be cheaper.

That's neither here nor there though in this disccusion as this thread is about lowering sub fees seeing as  growing number of consummers are no longer willing to pay 15 a month.

Markets change and you need to change the way you do business with the market or sink n drown it's as simple as that.  It's hard to "pay the bills" when hardly no one is giving you their money.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I think it is reasonable to ask for 5 to 10 dollars for a game. I would much rather game with alot of people then the 10 "real" gamers that want to pay their "old school" prices for their "equality" The economy is changing! Staying stagnant on a price system established 10+ years ago is not the way to achieve success. As state before freemium is a pretty good model. Let people pay what they want to pay for what they want. Just keep out item shops with pay to win stuff and your golden. And yes boys there are games that are freemium without a pay to win model.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

Redo  the math in f2p games if you plan on playing long term it's CHEAPER to buy permanent acces to each part, subs is only good if you want acces to all for a short period of time.

Your a content locust and suffer from ADD and can't stomach a game for longer than a year then sub it will be cheaper for you, if on the other hand your the type to get into a game and play it for 4 years paying for permanent acces via f2p will be cheaper.

Tha's neither here nor there though in this disccusion as this thread is about lowering sub fees seeing as  growing number of consummers are no longer willing to pay 15 a month.

Markets change and you need to change the way you do business with the market or sink n drown it's as simple as that.  It's hard to "pay the bills" when hardly no one is giving youe their money.

Cash shop model will never be cheaper than a sub model.  The whole reason to use the model is to get your paying players to pay more than $15 a month.  Please just stop with the myth that there is a growing number of consumers that do not want to pay $15 a month.  Players don't want to pay $15 a month for garbage MMOs, and that list continues to grow.

Originally posted by thinktank001

Your a content locust and suffer from ADD and can't stomach a game for longer than a year then sub it will be cheaper for you, if on the other hand your the type to get into a game and play it for 4 years paying for permanent acces via f2p will be cheaper.

Tha's neither here nor there though in this disccusion as this thread is about lowering sub fees seeing as  growing number of consummers are no longer willing to pay 15 a month.

Markets change and you need to change the way you do business with the market or sink n drown it's as simple as that.  It's hard to "pay the bills" when hardly no one is giving youe their money.

Cash shop model will never be cheaper than a sub model.  The whole reason to use the model is to get your paying players to pay more than $15 a month.  Please just stop with the myth that there is a growing number of consumers that do not want to pay $15 a month.  Players don't want to pay $15 a month for garbage MMOs, and that list continues to grow.

I beg to differ I have been playing DDO since it went f2p and it has cost me less money to buy permanent acces to all the content including the new motu expansion than it has cost  a vip to remain vip since f2p started.

Only time f2p will cost more is if you are stupid and buy into a p2w f2p item shop. 

Btw it is not a myth that many of us will no longer pay 15 a month for any game, I challenge you to prove me wrong !! Heh add the fact that some sub models now include a item shop regardless of the monthly fee lol

• topetstopets Member Posts: 17
    I will pay sub and very, very happy about it!
  • ExmatrixExmatrix Member UncommonPosts: 36

DF is a VERY competitive game.

Everyone must work their way to power. Not pay for it.

If it will be freemium I wont play it, and nither of my friends, period.

Originally posted by nunii

DF is a VERY competitive game.

Everyone must work their way to power. Not pay for it.

If it will be freemium I wont play it, and nither of my friends, period.

It's good this thread is about having a lower sub price and not about wanting it to be f2p then !!! lol

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

The subs model is pretty much a dead failure at the old prices, I will never pay 15$ a month for a game period but i would pay 5$ a month.

Seems to me selling cheaply to many versus expensive to a few has alwaya been a good strategy.

Those telling other to go get a second job need to grow up already, not everyone is willing to pay 15 a month for a game and that more often than not has nothing to do with how much per year they make but rather with how much they are willing to spend on a "game".

Your just flat out wrong here bud.  If a game is worth $15 people will gladly pay it.  DF1 was worth every penny, why you ask because there was nothing else comparable at the time and it was a good game.  If you wanted to play then you gotta pay.

Not to mention the competitive nature of DF would be ruined by any kind of freemium or cash shop addition. 

I gladly pay my sub fee to ensure a level playing field in a ffa full loot game.

Almost every new mmo is a rehash or clone of the most popular (read wow) ones that came before.  Just done worse, the big AAA devs have lost their creativity and imagination in regards to bringing a quality game out, luckily for them the accountants and greed mongers in charge of revenue haven't lost their creativity and are still squeezeing money out of you suckers for a sh$tty game.  

F2p/cash shop/ freemium is not a desirable model for a quality game.  When the game lacks substance and content and you change the game to revolve around the item shop (buying of dungeons/gear/unlocks w/e) its not even a game anymore, but a fancy way to waste your time and money.

[mod edit]

P.S.  Lowering the sub for DF would do nothing expect lower their revenue, DF is so unique that there simply are no other choices available.  The amount of consumers is also limited enough that having a lower sub would not result in increased income as there is just not that many people that like ffa full loot games.  Getting you to try out for a month for $5 is not the goal they want a long term subscriber, not a cheap trial account that will quit as soon as he gets ganked.

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Another failed thread idea. Hi I'm 13 and I can't put more then 30 hours in a week. Please only charge me $5 while I go to the movies and spend $20 for 2 hours of enjoyment. 

SNIP

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Scellow

Most of people don't play mmo with subscription because it's too expansive , most of those game fail .. but i know a litle game "dofus" with a little subsription fee (5€/month) and it works like a charm , this company earn money and new player each month

http://www.dofus.com/fr/boutique/18-abonnements

So i think it's a good idea to kill the average price of mmo and propose a little amount

Originally posted by davestr1zl

Please AV, don't start with the basic 14$/month sure you'll not win new user ..

5$/month will be a nice idea !! i'm 10000% sure that you'll earn more than if you start with 14$/ month

I know AV is an Greek company, and they need money (Economic Crisis), but don't be so tightwad and give opportunity for playing to poor person :)

and how do you know this for certain?

Because there will be more player

14 * 10 000 players =  140 000/m

5* 50 000 players =  250 000/m

DF is a good game ! so do not underestimate the possible number of subscriber if the game is under the average price of mmo's

Works great if you can exaggerate and say that 5 times the amount of people will be wiling to not pay $15 but $5 instead. I don't think this will be the case.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    Not sure if I am the minority here but alot of the time I will not play a game unless it has a subscription option.  Something about f2p that I just do not like...

Im on the same boat. PS2 is the only F2P game that I play, and even there I pay 15$ a month to support the game. I just beleve that a game with sub can calculate their income much better with sub fees. And normaly the customer support is much better with a sub game aswell.

And to be honest a pint of Guinness cost me about 15$ where I live, so a good MMORPG I can play in a month for how long I want/can or one beer? Thats a no brainer!

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

Originally posted by 123443211234

Your just flat out wrong here bud.  If a game is worth $15 people will gladly pay it.  DF1 was worth every penny, why you ask because there was nothing else comparable at the time and it was a good game.  If you wanted to play then you gotta pay.

Not to mention the competitive nature of DF would be ruined by any kind of freemium or cash shop addition. 

I gladly pay my sub fee to ensure a level playing field in a ffa full loot game.

Almost every new mmo is a rehash or clone of the most popular (read wow) ones that came before.  Just done worse, the big AAA devs have lost their creativity and imagination in regards to bringing a quality game out, luckily for them the accountants and greed mongers in charge of revenue haven't lost their creativity and are still squeezeing money out of you suckers for a sh$tty game.  

F2p/cash shop/ freemium is not a desirable model for a quality game.  When the game lacks substance and content and you change the game to revolve around the item shop (buying of dungeons/gear/unlocks w/e) its not even a game anymore, but a fancy way to waste your time and money.

TLDR:  Your a cheap pos

P.S.  Lowering the sub for DF would do nothing expect lower their revenue, DF is so unique that there simply are no other choices available.  The amount of consumers is also limited enough that having a lower sub would not result in increased income as there is just not that many people that like ffa full loot games.  Getting you to try out for a month for $5 is not the goal they want a long term subscriber, not a cheap trial account that will quit as soon as he gets ganked.

lol  The hate is strong in this one.

I don't agree and you have nothing but YOUR opinion to support your claims that a lower the sub fee  say 5$ or 10$ even a month would lower revenue. You have no hard facts.

I think in the long run a lower sub price would change things so the game had a bigger player base for a longer amount of time rather than the poor sad same 30 people runnin around slapping themselves on the back thinking they are "hardcore".

If I am "just flat out wrong here bud" then prove it and show me some studies etc or some factual data.

As for the themepark diatribe well I am not a WoW fan either but then "what a good sub price should be discussion" has nothing to do with a "sandbox versus themepark discussion".

If this game is 10$ or lower I will try if it 15$ then I will pass I am sure many others think like me. That's not to say some will not pay 15 and be happy, but how many more would pay and play if it was a more reasonable price.

Thing to remeber here is that reasonable is very very subjective and there's no reason for anyone to get upset becuase some  are not in exact agreement with you.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Get a job?  

All of a sudden 50 cents a day isnt a massive investment for hours of entertainment.

My firm belief is if you cant afford a $15 a month sub then you probably would be far better off not gaming.  Be that as an adult or a kid.

Peoples priorities sometimes get out of whack.

If not...well theres tons of free games out there, and according to the people who cant afford the sub, those free games are better anyway...so why even bother trying to beg for a game to go free (or super cheap)...let us working stiffs have some games we can enjoy without that crowd.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

Please AV, don't start with the basic 14$/month sure you'll not win new user ..

5$/month will be a nice idea !! i'm 10000% sure that you'll earn more than if you start with 14$/ month

I know AV is an Greek company, and they need money (Economic Crisis), but don't be so tightwad and give opportunity for playing to poor person :)

If they can get 15 a month then more power to them...If they drop down to 5 dollars a month then they need 3X as many people to generate the same revenue.....15 dollars is pretty much the accepted standard, especially for a top new game....Now floundering games that are still charging 15 and not getting new people should be the oens considering 5 dollars a month.