Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition: Isometric Filled Charms

2»

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I am just curious as to why mmorpg.com is so interested in Baldur's Gate. Sure it was a great game but who knows, perhaps they know a Baldur's Gate mmo is coming down the line ? Just a thought.... :D
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

At the end of the day it comes down to this, 'Do you love Baldur's Gate?' if the answer is yes, then its a must buy.

People are talking about mods, such as gibberings, but for me, I could never get that mod to work correctly, it would crash a lot and I have a highend rig and I am adept with modding. For me, even for nostalgia sake, even though I own the game already with Sword Coast all in all it was worth it. 20 bucks isn't a lot to be honest, I have a 'play fund' I put aside for upcoming titles im interested in.

Overhaul games did say that they will be making BG2:EE which I enjoyed just as much, and if that's popular there could be a chance for a BG3. Heck, who knows we might even get the IWD and PS:T enhanced editions too! Although I do hope for a mastering on PS:T considering that game is narrative excellence all the way through it and it's the most cried for sequel I know of in Isometric RPG's.

So, with these enhanced editions, coupled with Project Eternity in the works, it is a good day to be gamer.

• MsFitMsFit Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I still have the 6 disk monstrosity, with map.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Its funny how all the new gadgets are actually taking computing 20 years back. The hardware is  weak as it was back then and we see the same competition from hundreds of companies trying to get a share of the market and establish themselves. We have rolled back to 1990 for another try, not exactly but still in some way.

But this means isometric games are probably getting a revival, and although so many games are just remakes of proven games, there are good isometric games beeing made with new ideas. Maybe Bioware will wake up and return to their roots, and make another BG like isometric game with a new story .. and tossing those silly D&D rules haha. Simple casual games only goes so far and by the year "1995", the demand for deeper games will rise with the maturing gamers and technology.. maybe :P

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Yizle
    I just still don't see this as being worth $20 for a 15 yr old game with a very slight enhancement to graphics.

It's not worth it, and it's buggy as fuck. And it certainly isn't timeless, everything is like 100% luckbased. Wanna kill that wizard at the beginning? Well keep reloading the game until the game give you some decent dice rolls. Idiotic system, I'm glad it's dead.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I am playing this BGEE even now. It have nice implemented UI from BGII, many of new additions are nice (i like that new 'wild-mage' girl's back story) and most important thing - it is Win 7/8 friendly. Definatelly worth the 20$. If people can give far more money for newer crap that got RPG label only because they have 'levels' and 'item slots', why not to get this one? Especially if one havent lived the 'old RPG' days. I will and would always support these kind of games over any MMORPG sub or over recent "RPG" titles (Plus i dont know where my old copy is lol).

BG I and II, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale I and II, Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum - these are timeless RPG classics which will never get dated. Yes, these titles werent perfect, yes they had bugs and flaws, but they werent about Uber-leet gear or 'end-game' or similar things. All there was are character(s), story and immersion. If one havent played even at least one of these, he should not call himself RPG player.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Its just a money grap.  What you want is:

BiG World Project

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/44661-big-world-project-bwp-v90/

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    you have to be young as hell to think a game like this isnt worth a mere 15 bucks dude thats like a pitcher of beer mabe 2 lol the game is well worth the 15 dollars the game play is what matters in this sorta game not the graphics this game is the true D&D adventure for the pc. even after 15 years.
  • RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

already put in around 20 hours so great even though i did a run though about a year ago..the insta-load times are worth the 20 bucks, but supporting this company is what makes it worth it. I would love to see what they can get together by way of an orginal title. I would like to see a feat system that was done a little better then Icewind Dale 2 and perhaps more of an rp role for non-combantant roles, more like how some D&D / pathfinder campaigns are more suited for RPing.

I dont think we will see the latter anytime soon but he a nicely done feat system to expand character depth is good enough

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89

The old mods that let the game work on modern OS's either failed on certain PC configs (quite a few) or were too much hard work for many. Registry edits, disabling GFX features, changing config files then having to change them back on exit so other games and apps could work.

This version has new content, slightly increased feature set and works "out of the box" the financial model is designed to make it worthwhile for the devs to overhaul many of the other games in the series on a professional basis.

If that isn't any good for you  - then don't buy it. Seriously DON'T BUY IT. But for the love of Sam - stop coming here whinging with your tin pot "cod finance" lectures about what something is worth and what it isn't.

Those of us playing BG for the first time in more than a decade couldn't care a less what you can or can't afford and why you might or might not justify some companies financial decisions.. "There is play or not play"

Don't think there is value = Don't buy.

What else is there to say?

I'd hate to go grocery shopping with some of you people, we'd all have died of starvation before we got to the checkout.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Awesome - will tide me over until Project Eternity!
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    played the original BG and BG2  and i am not going to go back to those games again.i love Dragon age 1&2,and the witcher..all in all isometric are by far my favourite  types of rpg..i got severly disappointed when witcher 2 came out with no isometric view,the combat makes me feel sick.there are not enough of thesegames around these days.which suprises me because they are so popular.but i guess they are expensive to make as well.gl to all you guys revisiting BG i hope you enjoy it again.
  • CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Yizle
    I just still don't see this as being worth $20 for a 15 yr old game with a very slight enhancement to graphics.

[mod edit] the game has hand drawn all of the sceneries. You wanted this game redone? that would take new engine and it wouldn't be same Baldur's Gate.

To me it's 10/10 in visiuals since it's release. Just play and look at imense quality and amount of detail this simple 2d technology allowed. Thanks to this every location in game is unique. Can you say thatabout any 3d game that followed in next years ?

Even today Baldur's Gate series stand out with it's quality art style which has aged well can you say that about for example Neverwinter Nights or Morrowind with their blurry textures and ugly models with cluncky animations?

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I haven't played BG1 in years.  I have the Collection set I bought years ago and the major turnoff of 1 was the resolution, and although fan made mods are useful in fixing somethings, its a hassle for myself and many others.  Only mods I normally use are higher stack sizes as I like convience mods.

This will not appeal to everyone but will appeal to myself that is for sure.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by MsFit
    I still have the 6 disk monstrosity, with map.

That is me too. I found the map recently. It filled me with warm recollections of playing this game instead of doing homework (ahem).

I also still have the BG2 map, and the original discs for that, but one of them doesn't work anymore since it got scratched from overuse.

I still have the IWD series discs, the Torment discs, the NWN discs, Fallout 1 and 2....

So er, not sure I will be buying this one, since my BG1 discs still work, but I might look into BG2 when it comes out again.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124

I still enjoy playing the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series from time to time.  I am looking forward to this.  I played d&d with pen and paper back in the 1980's and we had a blast, but I don't know if today's generation will have the patience to read the quests, do the computations during battle, constantly assign tasks for each party member after pausing, etc.  that is required for this games.  

Strange that what has happened to movies is now happening to the gaming world: people just cannot think of new ideas so let's regurgitate the old ideas into new shinier ones.  Just saying that if you cannot enjoy the older games as they are right now, then there is only a small chance that you will enjoy the same game with new wrapping paper. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

So I was enjoying BG1 again until a couple of my party members decided they would just abandon me because I didn't get to where they wanted me to go as quickly as they would like. At that point I almost instantly uninstalled the game.

That sort of crap isn't immersive.. it's just annoying. I couldn't reload a save because none of them allowed enough time to travel where they wanted to go. My only option would be to start the whole thing again. Well, forget that. Reloading all the time breaks immersion anyway.. maybe I should just accept my fate and lose those party members? I could, but I'd just be pissed off for the rest of the game. I could lay down periodic saves that I can go back to 'just in case' I need to backtrack when the game itself decides to totally ruin my experience.. well that's no fun either and is a pain.

BG was fun back in the day but now I can see why games arn't made like this anymore. I just tainted my memory of the good old days. The game isn't on rails.. but there are rails available and you are punished if you don't stay on them.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    iOS version was just released today!
  • Faran_BrygoFaran_Brygo Member UncommonPosts: 19

I just wish that Darklands was getting this type of treatment. And if you don't know what Darklands is, don't worry.  That just means you're not older than dirt. Darklands is a game that really NEEDS to be updated and fixed. Arcanum would be a close second considering the amount of things broken in that game.

But Baldur's Gate? Meh. Smells of exploiting nostalgic gamers. I'd rather someone make something new than go through the BG series again.

I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...