Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is over ambition a bad thing?

The Universe Project (http://lnc.hr/oCgA) is a new MMO I just came accross that is probably going to have a kickstarter soon. I like the ideas - however vague they are.

Anyways, it just seems like every project that is this insanely ambitious always fails...

Thoughts?

Rage/Enos

Comments

• Psy410Psy410 Member Posts: 70

LOL I thought that I was vague and insanely ambitious.

If you want my opinion, I think something like this happened:

> Attention people....................... we have a tablet, an iphone and a mystery coupooon!!!

> Every person in the room, form groups of two right now......................... Ready???

>Who can get the more supporters? GO!!! GOO!!! GOOOOOO!!!

sometime after...

> Who had "The Universe Project"?......... Congratulations! you were the last place...

> Seriously noobs, the stick figures were too obvious.

> Here take your amazing car-wash coupon and please try it again next year.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Considering Ive seen overambitious projects starting out fueled by money without the people actually knowing what theyre getting into, I think it is. 

Ambition always has to be backed by ability, not potential. If that is really what they want to make, then Im not going to say "you cant do it" but I will instead ask "are you sure you can do it?"

Saying you can "theoretically do it" is nowhere near as convincing as "I have done X and Y and I am fairly sure I can do it" o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Everyone and his neighbor's dog has game ideas.  Lots of people have ideas that would be pretty good if they were implemented, even.  What's scarce is people who can implement those game ideas and actually make them work.

If you're funding a game with your own money, then being highly ambitious about what you think you can do isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Having your own money on the line will tend to focus you on what is actually practical to pull off.  What's practical for one person isn't necessarily the same as what's practical for another, and if you can do it, then it's practical for you.

But on kickstarter?  When people have to pay you up front, effectively prepurchasing your game long before they have any idea whether you can deliver?  It would be foolish to fund something there without solid reason to believe that the company can actually deliver roughly what they promised.  Plans made ahead of time never survive the development cycle completely intact, but some get mutilated along the way by compromise with reality more than others.

Having already delivered another game of comparable complexity is reason to believe you can do it again.  But saying, "I've never tried it, but look how cool the ideas are"?  Any idiot can say that, and some of them do.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

In a word: yes.

Rome was not built in a day afterall.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Enter proverb here.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I admire wild ambition, but I don't invest in it.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No.
    Look at planetside2, best mmo in years, very ambitious project.
  • emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No.
    Look at planetside2, best mmo in years, very ambitious project.

How is a sequel to a proven concept ambitious? Ambitious is like the Wii, something many thought would fail but succeeded in a big way.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Goober2k3

The Universe Project (http://lnc.hr/oCgA) is a new MMO I just came accross that is probably going to have a kickstarter soon. I like the ideas - however vague they are.

Anyways, it just seems like every project that is this insanely ambitious always fails...

Thoughts?

I don't believe in kickstarter. If the game is out, i will see if it is good.

In general, i agree. Overly ambitious projects are more prone to fail.