Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alpha Inivtes December 14th & 17th (Final)

"Additional invitation to the ARR alpha testing has been sent! Check out your email! Next invitation will be sent on Dec 14th."

This was announced on Twitter. Good luck to all those who have signed up.

Remember, you must have a registered copy of Final Fantasy XIV with an acvite character before September 30th on your account to be accepted. That's the only REAL requirement to get into Alpha.

-- Confirmed by SquareEnix Support staff.

As of December 12, 2012 (Wednesday) 11:00 p.m. (PST), we will no longer be accepting applications for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn alpha testers. The final alpha tester selection will be conducted on December 17, and notification emails will be sent shortly thereafter.

Proceed to the Alpha Test Application Site.

Comments

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    actually I did mention it , with a direct link to it. in thread all Final Fantasy XIV ARR info .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    Aww. :(
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    I've watched enough alpha leaks to get the impression i dont want to alpha/beta test this one. It seems they have way too much still left to work on.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Well I've alphaed a few games, but I've yet to actually be in an Alpha of a game that actually made it anywhere success wise.
    i would like to Alpha this but i think i would rather Beta test. Beta you have about 70% of the content in the build. And SE might let you keep your progress . Where Alpha is wipe repeat wipe repeat

Beta is also character wipes. That's just part of testing. I'm perfectly okay, and always have been okay, with getting my stuff wiped out.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by DarknessReign
    i would like to Alpha this but i think i would rather Beta test. Beta you have about 70% of the content in the build. And SE might let you keep your progress . Where Alpha is wipe repeat wipe repeat

If you're not willing to participate in an Alpha for those reasons, then you are not going in with the right understanding of why you're there. The focus of an Alpha is testing, not playing. It's not about "experiencing more of the content and getting to keep your progress".

The purpose of alpha testing is to help them test the hardware, the software and such to make sure it can hold up under load, things don't break, servers don't crash, etc.

The same, really, is true of Beta. "Alpha Testing" and "Beta Testing" aren't some snazzy-sounding buzzwords dreamt up in some Marketing Dept. brainstorming session. They're not euphemisms for "free trial!". They're long-standing terms that are a very well defined, and very important part of any software development cycle.

Many people don't realize that, go in with ignorantly unrealistic expectations, and then complain about it being an "unfinished" game, or a "subpar experience". It's usually the same people who seem to think agreeing to an NDA and not leaking info is "just a suggestion" or an informal request to be freely ignored. That is until they're banned for it and then cry "travesty!" at being "treated so unfairly".

It's a problem that plagues MMORPGs. People treating Alphas/Betas as "free previews/trials" instead of what they're supposed to be. An awful lot of people issued invites for Alphas - and Betas for that matter - have no business anywhere near one.

no I know why and how to alpha I have alpha tested lots of games. I just get sorta upset because I end up liking alpha and the building of my chr that I don't want to redo it over and over LOL. That's why I'd rather beta. It's my only knock on alpha .

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I signed up to the Enix Website.

I clicked this link (http://entry.ffxiv.com/alpha/index_na.html) a couple days ago but it never took my account information after clicking "Apply". Is that different credentials or the same I used to log into the enix website?

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Looking forward to reading the official forums tomorrow. There was a big uproar where someone claimed they payed $7,000 for a PC just for XIV and not getting in.

Originally posted by angerbeaver

I clicked this link (http://entry.ffxiv.com/alpha/index_na.html) a couple days ago but it never took my account information after clicking "Apply". Is that different credentials or the same I used to log into the enix website?

It uses the same login information, yea. Try a different browser? It'll tell you if you've already registered with that account if it went through.

• EhnoahEhnoah Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I hope someone post when he get his invite :D
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I am surprised, I assumed you would be really keen to get in, though you are right the alpha doesn’t have much content to go through. I would still recommend applying anyway to leave feedback on the forums and to get the grips with the basics, after all its was basics they got wrong last time, UI, combat, quest structure, etc. Might be best to see the reality, before you get too into it if it isnt to your taste. Also it would be great to see you in there (if i get in too).

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

It's more important to get into the Alpha than beta for me.
    FFXIV was broken at core designs, content is a fleeting thing that is puffed around the core.

Sure content is what drives you in the end, but if the core is no fun, every content is meaningless.
    If you need 5 minutes to sell one item, to not getting xp as healer or tank in a group encounter and your friends outlevel you (and your content) while you play with them together - to simple things like loading screen for every dialogue scene. (i know the xp thing got fixed but it shows where feedback was ignored initially).

Originally posted by skydiver12

It's more important to get into the Alpha than beta for me.
    FFXIV was broken at core designs, content is a fleeting thing that is puffed around the core.

Sure content is what drives you in the end, but if the core is no fun, every content is meaningless.
    If you need 5 minutes to sell one item, to not getting xp as healer or tank in a group encounter and your friends outlevel you (and your content) while you play with them together - to simple things like loading screen for every dialogue scene. (i know the xp thing got fixed but it shows where feedback was ignored initially).

Yes, I wanted in on alpha to test the basics too, engine optimisation, combat speed etc.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Draron

Looking forward to reading the official forums tomorrow. There was a big uproar where someone claimed they payed $7,000 for a PC just for XIV and not getting in.

Originally posted by angerbeaver

It uses the same login information, yea. Try a different browser? It'll tell you if you've already registered with that account if it went through.

LOL $7000 for a pc to play FFXIV, someone really seen him coming.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Got my Alpha invite on the 3rd (early morning CST) .
    I tried to get in 1st alpha V1 and did not . Have applied for V2 and still nothing. I heard the NA market only makes up 1 in every 6 as far as alpha testers. Still hope I would like to voice my opinions on the alpha forum. But regardless I will give 2.0 a chance and so far I like what I see.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

Thats the wrong attitude. Thats why 99% of the games are released with major bugs, because people play and do not report the problems. 

Originally posted by Hefaistos

Thats the wrong attitude. Thats why 99% of the games are released with major bugs, because people play and do not report the problems. 

In this case the western players in the last 2 alpha waves only have excess to a small part of the game that has already been open to alpha testers in Japan, so there isnt much bug testing to do.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Ok, got mine today.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Ok, got mine today.

You shouldnt really say, but it's interesting that they are still going out, Grad will be packed today.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    For ff14 I hope the gameplay itself got a major overhaul, because a slightly better UI and slightly better graphics will not cut it when the gameplay itself had massive issues. I played it for a few months a bit before it was taken down. Got whm to the lv cap full AF, then quit pretty much. Mostly due to the gameplay being mindnumbingly boring after getting 1 job to cap. Personally I don't think the graphics needed to be improved the game already took a fairly beast of a rig to run at a decent framerate, making it look better is just going to close the game off to more people with lower end pc's.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

not to mention a post below that I said I know how to Alpha , I've alpha tested games like M.A.G , Ghost Reacon advanced war fighter , Socom 3 , and combined assault . Battlefield 3 , Tara , and a few others. My point is IF IF I like the game I get a little upset that everything gets wiped out again IF I like it. I already know I will LOVE not like but LOVE FFXIV ARR so I'd rather beta . The people who abuse the alpha ate the ones who post there game play on YouTube or stream the alpha build live. Or the ones who make posts about how this is like WoW /sadface because there not testing like they should be. Then they comment on things in a alpha with less then 5% of the total game content, and bare minimal controls. Alpha is just to function with the bare minimals to stress test .

Originally posted by Siveria
    For ff14 I hope the gameplay itself got a major overhaul, because a slightly better UI and slightly better graphics will not cut it when the gameplay itself had massive issues. I played it for a few months a bit before it was taken down. Got whm to the lv cap full AF, then quit pretty much. Mostly due to the gameplay being mindnumbingly boring after getting 1 job to cap. Personally I don't think the graphics needed to be improved the game already took a fairly beast of a rig to run at a decent framerate, making it look better is just going to close the game off to more people with lower end pc's.

The focus of the changes is to gameplay, servers and engine optimisation, which does mean the graphics have changed, but not to make them look better, (though shadow effects are great now) but to run on more machines. It may still end up being boring for certain players, but they have made an effort to alter combat, endgame, and add other features such as housing, new kinds of pve and pvp.

not to mention a post below that I said I know how to Alpha , I've alpha tested games like M.A.G , Ghost Reacon advanced war fighter , Socom 3 , and combined assault . Battlefield 3 , Tara , and a few others. My point is IF IF I like the game I get a little upset that everything gets wiped out again IF I like it. I already know I will LOVE not like but LOVE FFXIV ARR so I'd rather beta . 

I hate wiping too, it can make you feel burned out having to redo a lot of the early stuff so soon after when it launches. However won't you have a character from 1.0? You should be more attached to that one. Besides sometimes you learn lessons on what to avoid, for eg. due to quests being non-repeatable meaning later classes you lvl up need to rely more on leaves and grinding, I won't be doing classes I enjoy combat with at first when I still have more quest reward exp to lvl them up. So conj first, and archer later for eg.