Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PS2 worth trying?

JenkzJenkz Member UncommonPosts: 94

Never played ps1 so i wouldn't have a clue on how it is.

Really don't have any questions regarding the game.. well can't think of any at the moment anyway. Is it worth trying?! Will i get bored in 1 day?

Would be great if someone can explain to me how the game play is, groups/guilds/how many players in a map etc.

Thanks.

P.s I am currently downloading the game now, see how it goes i guess.

UPDATE - I have been playing for a while and i must say, it is one of the most intense games i have EVER played, so i went a head and did a subscription. Unbelievable how intense the battles get, just crazy WOW lol. For the people who are thinking if they should try it, go ahead and give it a go, it is free anyway.. you wont be disappointed!

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    it's free to download and play.  you'd only be out the time it takes to download it. 
  • JenkzJenkz Member UncommonPosts: 94

What do you mean by "you'd only be out the time it takes to download it."?

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    it takes a very high end computer to play a medium graphics.  FYI

• JenkzJenkz Member UncommonPosts: 94

Oh ok, yeah i got a pretty decent computer i built 3 months ago super clocked 680 8 gig ram a lot of cooling i5 k. If that doesn't run the game don't know what else will.

But ill see how it goes.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269
    u mirin?
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

just don't expect an immersive virtual world that is worth exploring.  don't expect any cities, wildlife, or anything to suggest you are actually in a world.

just think of it as a 3 team gigantic arena FPS game with tons more players, and gigantic outdoor arenas, and i doubt you'd be too disappointed.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I don't have a whole lot of experience with it but:

Maps are seamless. They are really continents that you load between, that's about it.

So as far as players per map.. umm - hundreds, thousands? I've seen probably 100+ players on screen at a time during big tower sieges and such.

Guilds, per say, I don't know.

There are multiple ways to get to "instant action" - where it will automatically put you in a squadron (group of up to 10 people or so), and you always have the option to hot drop (essentially teleport in from out of the sky in a drop pod) on top of your squad leader, wherever they may be on the map.

There are also several different vehicles that are unlocked (both land and air), which you can take around the map as well.

The action can be very intense and fast paced, where ever the large offensives are, with a few smaller scale skirmishes on the side, and large swaths of land with absolutely nothing going on.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Squal'Zell

FALSE.

It does not take a super high end computer to run this. If you have anything purchased in the past four years built for gaming then you'll be fine. 

My PC is an I7 3.4 ghz 16 gig of ram, 570 graphics card and it easily runs in the largest battles with perfect frames. That is maxed out to the tits, even motion blur on.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

I have no problem playing with everything on max (I may have shadows turned down but I can't remember).

However, I find there are a few things that are so embarrassing that I find myself constantly frustrated and doing all I can to keep myself from putting my fist through my monitor.

There's a severe lack of weapon choice and class playstyle is a bit unbalanced. I play as an NCR Infiltrator on Waterson and I find it very difficult to gain certs if I'm not hacking or sniping. The only two pistols available for NCR are single-shot and not semi-auto, so it's near impossible to get pistol kills unless you sneak up on them, hit them while their shields are down, or use knife/pistol combo. It does help to aim for the melon, though. Nonetheless, there's only two goddamn pistols available for purchase. It's insulting. Not to mention headshots only offer an extra 11 experience.

It is also interesting because other close-range and mid-range guns are just as effective long-range. I play as a medic to get certs and I can kill someone several hundred meters away with some quick bursts from my rifle.

So, if they can revamp experience bonuses for other classes to put them on the same footing as engineeers and medics it'd be a good start. They could also add a crapload more guns to the game and use more stat variations. Some more customization for weapons would also be nice. Right now, I can add scopes to my rifle and that's about it.

EDIT: When I say "hacking" as an infiltrator, I mean hacking terminals, generators, turrets and such.

Even more edit: The big defenses and offenses can be absolutely awesome. Joining an outfit is a good way to get into the organized aspect of the game. I can't deny the gameplay is visually stimulating as well as heart-pumping.

• TallynTallyn Member UncommonPosts: 217

I think that he means that all you have to lose by trying it out is a little bit of time.

I would say yes, try it out. SOE actually managed to do a very smooth launch (Excluding the poor EU servers) and any issues that popped up from the onslaught of thousands of players logging in on day 1 have mostly been ironed out (including the EU servers).

From what I've been told and believe after testing the Beta and playing since launch, there are 3 continents with a 2000 player cap on each continent. That's roughly 666 players per faction per continent. I could be wrong though and the entire server pop cap could be 2000, but from many of the extremely massive battles I've witnessed, I believe the 2000 players per continent cap to hold more weight.

The game play is smooth, polished, and fast. You didn't play PS1 so you won't miss the slower paced more RPGish action from it like I do, but I got over that quick because of how engaging the game is.

My outfit currently has ~60 players every night for ops/raids. Most outfits have around 40 and there are a few outfits that are just overwhelmed with players. Hundreds.

Try out all the classes at first. I would suggest playing the support classes (Medic and Engineer) first in order to take in the scenery and learn the ropes while still managing to get exp from not have a 133/7 kill/death ratio. Play each for 15 to 30 minutes, then switch to trying out the more assault oriented classes for the same amount of time.

Use the Deploy buttons on the Map to hopefully get you to some action quick. Try to guide your drop pod near friendly players in order to not die instantly when you hit the ground (UNLESS you want to hit an enemy transport or tank to blow it up with your drop pod if it's injured enough =P).

Try out all the vehicles and don't be too aggressive with them at first. Fly around in a Reaver/Mossie/Scythe and enjoy the thrill. I suck at dogfighting personally, but I still love to just fly around and do a barrel roll every now and then. They're also very useful to get you from the Warpgate (Where you spawn in when you log in each time) to any action.

Lastly, Sunderers. For 50 certs you can get a Sunderer attachment called an AMS (Advanced Mobile Station if my memory is correct). This allows any friendly players to spawn at your Sunderer when they die and also gets you a little experience every time someone spawns there. It's the front line of any attack. You have to go to your vehicle load out screen and equip it, then spawn your Sunderer. When your empire is attacking something, roll one up behind some cover, press B to deploy (If there isn't one already deployed within 200meters), and you just did something very useful for your team.

Oh, one more thing. Don't stay in the squad that the game throws you in when you first log in. Press P for the squad menu, click the red arrow next to your name to leave it, and then look for a squad on the squad list that has a few or more players in it and try to stick with them. 75% of the time you'll join a squad that is working together and will give you a fantastic PS2 experience.

Anyway I think I've said enough. Good luck and good fighting. Hope you enjoy it!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

AMD p4 here... e9100 series... I play on high. gtx 560 card.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

FALSE.

It does not take a super high end computer to run this. If you have anything purchased in the past four years built for gaming then you'll be fine. 

My PC is an I7 3.4 ghz 16 gig of ram, 570 graphics card and it easily runs in the largest battles with perfect frames. That is maxed out to the tits, even motion blur on.

hmmm

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

Like every other game out there, it's not going to please everybody, but in my case, I am having a lot of fun. The huge battles to capture/defend bases feel really epic, and well, there are just tons of players to kill lol.

Of course it's very likely you'll be dying a lot as well lol. Finish the download and see for yourself if it's right for you.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Might as well, playing F2P will tell you all you need to know.

I played a few days for a total of 6-7 hours at the end of beta and then uninstalled.

Novel for a bit, fun for a bit longer, but ultimately not enough to keep my interest.

It's a shooter. That's it.

And it looks like the bugs/hacks/3rd party programs are taking their toll, because I guess most people are now hiding in tanks. But some people get shot through the walls of those, too.

• aznxdreadfulaznxdreadful Member UncommonPosts: 21

50% of the game is playing it. The other 50% is joining  a organized OUTFIT aka Clans aka Guild aka what ever you want to call it. 

It is loads more fun with an organized team because if you think about it, they will be your "mission giver" they give you objectives and you have to complete it, if you don't it results in a lost base, or a fail tactic that the commander was trying to execute.

Join an Outfit, I suggest going server connery and joining the outfit 666 devil dogs if you want a giangantic organized outfit, that will accept just about anyone but the outfit with so much member is still very very very high quality. Everything is structured and alot of the officers (high ranks of the outfit) are veterans of PS1, and know there shit.

let them know JasonStyrke sent you if you do.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Zyzz

What do you mean by "you'd only be out the time it takes to download it."?

it's FREE to PLAY.  if you don't like it all it will have cost you is time.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

FALSE.

lol.. Okay so thats not the extreme "top of the line"

But lets be fair guy, your computer is pretty high end..

The game seems more reliant on pure processing power than a good gpu (although it helps).. If you don't have what this guy has, you will experience some lag (the more intense the battle obviously the more likely you will see a few frame rate drops)..

As for what the game is like:

You race from point to point. Population determines victory in most cases. You do not get rewarded for succesfully defending a point, even if it is nearly capped before being reverted and saved by an epic showdown. The "bonus" for capturing an entire continent is a 10% discount of either infantry, mechanized, or aerospace terminal resource prices. Single battles can almost seem never ending if the enemy hides enough sunderers, defense will work against you as smaller clans will just go around you and capture everything else you own.

It's a good game, full of all out war. But it doesn't have that "epic" conquest feeling you get from games like World War 2 online. It honestly feels like an arcade game thats great for short bursts of fun. You and your buds get on, conquer a continent, log off, everything is retaken usually while you are gone, the next day you guys log in and try to do it again..

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    I was being fair, my PC is good, very good for playing the best games out on full right now, but it doesnt take a maxed out beast to play on medium, it takes a medium pc to play at medium.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

If your into games like Battlefield or Call of Duty, you may like this game. The game is massive for a shooter and you got 3 continents which there is always something going on. If you get tired of foot patrol infantry, you can easily switch to tanks or air combat which brings another aspect to the game.

Make sure you watch the tutorial videos, you may last longer in certain types of battles. If you go in and just explore, get ready to take a dirt nap, playing this game solo can get rough.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

The answer is Yes.

Yes, it is worth trying.

/thread

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    It's free so that's a no brainer.
  • khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

FALSE.

hmmm

not sure if it meant to be sarcasm :/

btw thats my pc: amd phenom4, 4gb ram, ati 5770gt. and i'm runnin it on high too.

at the beginnin i had always crashes after 1hour playin bc the 4gb ram with vista were kinda not enough. but then i read about the laa (large address aware) solution on the forums. now im playin 6+ hours/day with no lags and crashes.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

whether it gets boring in one day depends on the person..

the game is free to play,if you dont like it then theres no strings attached.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

PC Gamer gave it a 9.

IGN gave it a 9.

I give it a solid 8.5 (I like it, I've been playing it daily, how long it'll keep me (shrug).

It's Free.  So it'll stay installed.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Ikeda

PC Gamer gave it a 9.

IGN gave it a 9.

I give it a solid 8.5 (I like it, I've been playing it daily, how long it'll keep me (shrug).

It's Free.  So it'll stay installed.

Those idiots rate every game with big backing of a conglomerate highly.  Their rating mean nothing.

It sure is fun however.

Enticed by the plans they have for the future in this game, including a sandbox continent where you can build bases and aquire resources to make stuff, and flying aricraft carriers ect.

Not sure about that sandbox continent however...seems like a recipe for disaster.  More vehicles, classes, guns, utilities and possibly somehow connecting the three continents would be more than enough i think.

I dislike when games try to be and do too much, when their basic foundation is good as it is and should be polished and padded with content, rather than branching off in this case into the sandbox arena.