Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P Leading to Subscriptions and Heavy Purchases of CCs

AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

I run a large guild devoted to new players and those leveling. We teach them to game, level them to 50, gear them up, and then place them with a raiding guild.

In view of the kind of guild we are we see a lot of new players, and have seen a lot of f2p characters. We have observed that a significant numer of these are opting for subscription status after a short experience with f2p. The servers are now often full, and I suspect more servers will be coming out soon. The early signs are that the game is on its way up.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i hope so.

when i played at first (during the open beta i immediately went and preordered the game and got a 90 day subscription.  i thought it was that good.  then as the 90 days was running down i was feeling like i'd hit a wall and was running out of interesting things to do.  so i unsubbed but figured one day in the future the game will have added enough to be more to my liking and i'd return.

i dont play at least for now; i have 2 games i'm interested in right now, but i'm happy that you're doing the work you're doing, it shows that there is a caring community out there.  like i mentioned i'm not against coming back one day.

what server are you on?  i'm sure your post here will get some new blood into your guild.

Itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Bahh thought this was an announcement that they did good with the f2p thing.

Honestly SWTOR isn't a bad game, its like most that failed to hold my interest personally.

Got to around level 35 before i stopped logging in. Its still a nice leveling experience though just not up to stuff with other games in different genres.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I don't doubt that they have seen an increase in subs since F2P started because that's all part of the hype and some peeps fall for it however in a couple of months the game will be back to the way it was before.
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Astroturf FTW!

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Leaving SWTOR about a month after release, playing what else was out there, then coming back to it has made me realize that while the game isn't perfect, it's a lot of fun. I'm playing it for what it is, not what I wish it was.

Joined - July 2004

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Normaly once a P2P game goes free there is a huge zerg of gamers to try it out. Doesnt mean its getting better just means people that didnt want to pay 50-80$ for the box has a chance to try it now. And as most F2P games the population usualy dies down. SWTOR just felt like playing KOTOR and i cant justify paying a monthly fee or even trying it for free until they turn this into a real mmorpg.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Ahnog

I run a large guild devoted to new players and those leveling. We teach them to game, level them to 50, gear them up, and then place them with a raiding guild.

In view of the kind of guild we are we see a lot of new players, and have seen a lot of f2p characters. We have observed that a significant numer of these are opting for subscription status after a short experience with f2p. The servers are now often full, and I suspect more servers will be coming out soon. The early signs are that the game is on its way up.

It's great that you help new players. Kudos for you.

I always answer newbie questions in general, and most of the time it's fun to see how many answers one question can get.

Community on The Ebon Hawk is really nice (for the most part).

Lots of people complained about XP reduce for F2P players, but check out GTN how cheap XP boosts are. They drop from every cartel pack and the sell off is enourmous. Even low level players can afford them without putting even a slight dent in their pocket.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Normaly once a P2P game goes free there is a huge zerg of gamers to try it out. Doesnt mean its getting better just means people that didnt want to pay 50-80$ for the box has a chance to try it now. And as most F2P games the population usualy dies down. SWTOR just felt like playing KOTOR and i cant justify paying a monthly fee or even trying it for free until they turn this into a real mmorpg.

What you just said was that, as of this writing, SWOTOR is like playing KOTOR for free.  Holy hell man, thats the best sales pitch I've ever heard.  They should hire you for PR.  You've all but sold me on trying the F2P.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Been playing steadily since last weekend.  I'm on Prophecy of the Five and the server is packed.

Having a good time.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Yea i saw a lot of players in the fleets and what not now.  Its fun!  Good job helping people out.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Thats a cool guild you have there, op. Its a great way to build a strong community on your server. Cheers!

Originally posted by Gishgeron

What you just said was that, as of this writing, SWOTOR is like playing KOTOR for free.  Holy hell man, thats the best sales pitch I've ever heard.  They should hire you for PR.  You've all but sold me on trying the F2P.

If you like being led around on a leash and linear gameplay and be expected to pay for it, by all means enjoy ;)

But i prefer a little bit more to my mmorpgs. But as with KOTOR, eventualy it gets boring and gets put on the self for awhile. You can only do the same exact thing so many times before even the most diehard of fans gets bored.

You can only do the same exact thing so many times before even the most diehard of fans gets bored.

I think I am the exception from what you said image. And I know many players playing from prelaunch and never bored.

Edit. Being in great guild contribute to a lot of fun in game. You can never be bored with guild of role-players who have crazy ideas of how to play the game:) Like run FPs naked (I mean with no armor)  and drunk LOL...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

If you like being led around on a leash and linear gameplay and be expected to pay for it, by all means enjoy ;)

But i prefer a little bit more to my mmorpgs. But as with KOTOR, eventualy it gets boring and gets put on the self for awhile. You can only do the same exact thing so many times before even the most diehard of fans gets bored.

I do miss me a good sandbox.  But as far as themeparks go, this is one I find rather enjoying.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    its nice to see a guild that accept F2P players while they still arent subbed. In the shadowland server nobody wants free players on their guilds. At least thats what most people say on general chat when somebody asks for a recruiting guild.

Originally posted by rojo6934
    its nice to see a guild that accept F2P players while they still arent subbed. In the shadowland server nobody wants free players on their guilds. At least thats what most people say on general chat when somebody asks for a recruiting guild.

F2P players are potential subscribers. Denying them joining guild just because they are F2P  is uncomprehensible.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by LachyFTW
    I don't doubt that they have seen an increase in subs since F2P started because that's all part of the hype and some peeps fall for it however in a couple of months the game will be back to the way it was before.

Question is how many of the new players are really spending $$$ and so providing funds to make the game better in the long term?

Now Gishgeron got it right, would they advertise TOR as a "free" KOTOR well we would get an insane numbers of players for sure. But then, long term (after the class story is done), see above.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

F2P players are potential subscribers. Denying them joining guild just because they are F2P  is uncomprehensible.

Wish more people felt this way, its shows the community is still good. And that is more important than the bickering

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Wish more people felt this way, its shows the community is still good. And that is more important than the bickering

true. I see a lot of subscribers (maybe they are just trolling) blaming free players that they want all for free because they dislike some of the limitations and they will not accept them on their guilds for being freeloaders. Pretty disappointing community (on that server at least). I might start again on another server

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i,m one of these guys that listens and watches to every cut scene..i have a lvl 32 marauder (sith) and a lvl 34 guardian (jedi).i have found that if i play the game in spurts then i,m ok..i could'nt play it full time.in other words i sub for a month then cancel.wait a couple of months and sub again..its not the worse mmo by far and the class stories are great imo.

they could have made it so much better imo though.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    I started playing again despite the flaws I see in the game that make me not consider it a full-fledged MMO. There's fun to be had, and that's what matters and will keep me here while it lasts.
  • residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123

What a nonsense post. Obvious this poster is try to make is sound like this game is awesome, lol

What server are you on?

How many new players have you trained to 50 since f2p?

What is the name of your guild?

How many f2p characters are you seeing specifically?

How can you tell if they opting for subscribing? I thought you said they were f2p, lol.

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by residentx

What a nonsense post. Obvious this poster is try to make is sound like this game is awesome, lol

What server are you on?

How many new players have you trained to 50 since f2p?

What is the name of your guild?

How many f2p characters are you seeing specifically?

How can you tell if they opting for subscribing? I thought you said they were f2p, lol.

The Shadowlands

None since f2p...it just started give them time.

Republic University

20 out of 134

They tell us so.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.