Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Guild Wars 2: The State of PvP

13»

Comments

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206

arena.net when released gw1 = funboy team with passion

arena.net when released gw2 = we must add so much things to bring to much ppl in.. :(

• TwitchnTwitchn Member Posts: 33

To much repition in W v W v W. Rinse repeat is all I have seen in GW2 pvp.

I cant wait for Darkfall next month as it looks like it will be a real good pvp experience w/ full loot and player built cities.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

i wanted to play GW2 for the awesome spvp. Atm spvp and tpvp, both paid and free, are freaking deserted.

I redirected my attention to planetside 2, even though ive literally spend months before gw2 release preparing for it and i still think arenanet is awesome.

Im probably taking a small break with gw2 untill they repopulate pvp again. 

or wont come back if they let it bleed out, which in my opinion its doing atm.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by timeraider

i wanted to play GW2 for the awesome spvp. Atm spvp and tpvp, both paid and free, are freaking deserted.

I redirected my attention to planetside 2, even though ive literally spend months before gw2 release preparing for it and i still think arenanet is awesome.

Im probably taking a small break with gw2 untill they repopulate pvp again. 

or wont come back if they let it bleed out, which in my opinion its doing atm.

ill agree most folks arent into spvp anymore. wish they'd take that tone with WvW, tired of these damn queues to get in

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• cgniuscgnius Member Posts: 18

imo PvP in GW2 has two extremes, and no "happy medium".

sPvP is "too" structured. I'm not a big fan of small scale PvP as there's too much reliance on good strategy and organisation, which I don't mind ocassionally, but it's not really my taste.

WvWvW is slightly closer to my taste, but it's too extreme - there's too much freedom, it's basically one zerg capping, then another one capping, and it lasts a week so you don't really feel like you're having an impact on the score.

they should have a CTF type PvP game with up to 100 players per team and each game lasts an hour.  that would be cool

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    That would not get me back

1997 called it wants its ctf back.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    In my opinion GW1's PvP ia so much better in every single way. If you started straight with the PvP you had tons of unlocks which gave you a sense of progression. There were so many skills and you could customise your bar the way you want. I don't like their current skill system. GW1's system is vastly superior in my opinion.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• shawn19606shawn19606 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by gambe1
    Every time i see a new article about GW2 on mmorpg.com i ask my self: Are they playing some other version of GW2 than i do? Cuz it sure ain't as fun and dandy as they describe it. 

Every time I see one I wonder if they are the ones that actually wrote GW2. Sooooo many articles about this game. It was too boring for me to get into, maybe in a couple of months I'll give it another try. It certainly looked like it had potential.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    Every time i see a new article about GW2 on mmorpg.com i ask my self: Are they playing some other version of GW2 than i do? Cuz it sure ain't as fun and dandy as they describe it. 

I have to agree with you and also add this : I always question the motives and possible influences of such a glowing review of a game or aspect of the game in which the general masses of players are finding the exact opposite.  

The fact is that, although gw2 is a small step in the right direction for many players, it is nothing more than a cleverly disguised version of all the other WoW based MMO's.   Yes, you don't have to speak with an NPC to acquire a quest as often, instead it is map triggered; okay, well big effing deal.  Area based quest acquisition and even area based PUG joining options are not new.  The claim that gw2 has avoided the usual quest structure of killing x amount of mobs or collecting x amount of y is still there, regardless of the lipstick that has been painted on.  You still have to do those things.  And the key is this: real world impact of questing has limited value in this game because all of the quests reset continuously, so the impact is temporary only.  Yes, you can prod cattle back into the fence, but 3 minutes later they are right back out there and you have made zero impact.

The structured PvP will never be successful in gw2 until real rewards are given.  Unlocking cosmetic sets does nothing for most player's longevity, as evidenced by the population declines.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by allendale5

I have to agree with you and also add this : I always question the motives and possible influences of such a glowing review of a game or aspect of the game in which the general masses of players are finding the exact opposite.  

The fact is that, although gw2 is a small step in the right direction for many players, it is nothing more than a cleverly disguised version of all the other WoW based MMO's.   Yes, you don't have to speak with an NPC to acquire a quest as often, instead it is map triggered; okay, well big effing deal.  Area based quest acquisition and even area based PUG joining options are not new.  The claim that gw2 has avoided the usual quest structure of killing x amount of mobs or collecting x amount of y is still there, regardless of the lipstick that has been painted on.  You still have to do those things.  And the key is this: real world impact of questing has limited value in this game because all of the quests reset continuously, so the impact is temporary only.  Yes, you can prod cattle back into the fence, but 3 minutes later they are right back out there and you have made zero impact.

The structured PvP will never be successful in gw2 until real rewards are given.  Unlocking cosmetic sets does nothing for most player's longevity, as evidenced by the population declines.

You have to do those things in all mmo's.

Compared to other MMO's, where the cattle just stay in the same spot and you see NO effect of your actions? At least gw2 you SEE how you changed things(if only temporary)

Sounds like you are tired of mmo's, as you will never find one in which your actions are permanent and the other guy behind you wont do the same thing.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

Now, see, i played GW1 back in the day, and it lived up to his name. it was about guilds PvPing in arenas and you could entirely ignore the PvE part of the game ENTIRELY.  you could choose to be max lvl, have a free set of gear, slot your skills, and progress that way. Or you could PvE, gain levels, unlock skills and junk to later use in PvP, what have you.

Was the game perfect? nah.

Now I am being told, as I have not given the game a chance myself because i am tired of fantasy and the cliché races and not interested enough in the classes, that the game's pvp only consists of WvW zerg to the middle last man standing crap or capture and control point maps? Why is the arena from the original GW missing? Is there a purpose to guilds anymore? what is going on?!?! should i never try this game?

• jott14jott14 Member Posts: 3
    I thought I was the only one who thinks pvp in GW2 sucks LOL! Stopped playing this game don't see any reason playing this game, everyone in pvp have same gears they say this games pvp is based on player skills lol. no reason to hunt nice items (because there aren't any). Just jump right into the mist get the gears for free form pvp NPC and enter spvp/tpvp and use your player skills in pressing those button combinations.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't think they need wow style gear rewards

What kills gw2 pvp for me is the annominity if it all, you're just fighting a bunch of nameless random dudes that change around every week. There no sustained rivalry, there's no hunting down that guy who just killed you, there's no nemesis guilds & players. These things are needed for long term pvp enjoyment. I still don't understand why arenanet made players nameless, it takes away a lot of longevity for as far as I can see no gain. Was it just a solution to some sort of perceived problem that doesn't actually exist?
  • VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

GW2's PvP and gameplay in general is just a shell of GW1. It's quite sad, really.

WvW is ok, but too zergy, repetitive, anonymous, and lacking in lore. sPvP on the other hand is utterly lacking in every possible way. Not even a ladder, matchup system, observer mode, no nothing. It's already pretty dead and won't recover anytime soon.

Hype train -> Reality

• citadellicitadelli Member Posts: 36

I haven't done too much of the sPVP, but play a ton Wv3 on Tarnished Coast, it's been super fun imo. I think a lot of it does have to do with being in the right kind of guild for you, which I think I am lucky to have found and we have a great time together. I'm also the "crappy" class everyone says is gimped, the Ranger, but still enjoy it, kill more than I die.

I don't know the dynamics of other servers and imagine the different tiers you get placed in each week depending on your rank might create completely different environments. For our server's rank we've been matched with the same other servers I think at least the last 4 weeks running. We've been on top all of those, but barely, and have to give it to the other guys they fight us hard. It would be nice to have more servers be in the same tier to mix things up from week to week, because it's not too hard to learn major strategies that come into play by the leading guilds. But at the same time we've been building a couple great rivalries, despite flames on the forums of teaming up, I guarantee there is no love lost on the battle field.

Also Zerging is only one part of the Wv3, you can have the best Zerg, and just get smoked runnig up against a well defended Keep, or even camp.

They do need to eliminate free transfers though, and some class balancing tweaks would be nice. But honestly the game is only a few months old... I'm impressed with how it rolled out and how it will evolve.

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278
    I wish I found GW2 PVP half as fun as the author of this article.  The esport aspect of this game is long ways from home, and WvWvW just feels to impersonal to care about and have fun doing.  When/if they introduce guild rivalry, I will revisit it, until then I have no more desire to log in. 

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.