Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Guild Wars 2: The State of PvP

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I love the 'dynamic' tagline the article gave for a game's pve content that is just the same old quest system changed to look a bit different. Always a good laugh to see an otherwise false claim. Dynamic in when events occur (mildly) but otherwise its always the static stuff over and over in a mostly predictable pattern. I digress, thats not the focus of the article (why is it even here anyways?) so lets dip into pvp.

Spvp being a fresh change? You mean like it is IN EVERY MMO OUT THERE? *facepalm* Come on, sPvP exists in every mmo out there practically anymore, you can't go claiming its a fresh change up for pvp enthusiasts. Most of them are actually TIRED of sPvP things, particularly when they get nothing out of it such as being on the leader board or other factors.

For a game focused on PvP... it really seems to be doing quite poorly. Its lacking anything to emphasize pvp at all to the point PvE focused games like rift have a lot more for pvp players. The focus on not having open World pvp means content needs to be focused elsewhere... which it just wasn't done. It needs more options and benefits to  it. WvW is a rather lack luster seige game... minus the seige basically which just weakens the experience into zerg vs zerg with virtually no strategy. Its only worst that if you just want to WvW, your going to have to pay for gems, otherwise your going to eat your cash quick or simply be more useless for the team and not utilize seige weapons (aka put battering ram in front of door). 

As a 'pvp' game, GW2 has done quite poorly in delivering content to make it stand out or polishing what it does have to make it run a lot better. It is missing essencial parts that would really help emphasize itself as a pvp game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    At last someone who agrees WvW is a gold sink.
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768

LOL

567892 players opinion = PVP sukks

1 writer opinion = is fun

567892>1

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by mayito7777
    LOL 567892 players opinion = PVP sukks1 writer opinion = is fun 567892>1

Where did you get the 567,892 player opinions?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Check the official forum, it may not be that huge amount but it  is a big number.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

did they fix transfers and WvW yet ?

last time I played lots of people seemed to transfer to the winning server, so there was litttle pvp in WvW, Just one server against two empty ones.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I don't know a great deal about the state of WvW yet. As far as spvp goes they have been doing a good job and have a solid foundation. I do believe they need some sort of matchmaking system soon because right now as a newer player you are thrown into the lion's den and that is not good for the pvp community.

• SpectermatSpectermat Member UncommonPosts: 12

State of SPVP??????

I left this game because of perma stealth thiefes and 5 clones per 2 seconds mesmers.

They can go and fuck themself with their pvp concepts.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by SQTO

did they fix transfers and WvW yet ?

last time I played lots of people seemed to transfer to the winning server, so there was litttle pvp in WvW, Just one server against two empty ones.

No there are still free transfers, but you're limited to one per week.

Steam: Neph

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Thats part of the problem with WvW for me. Your just fighting random people that change all the time.

I enjoyed it as its better than the wow style dross us pvpers have been served up for the past 8 years. But then I started playing ps2 and have already got plenty of "best enemies". They really need to sort out the lack of rivalry and community in pvp if they want WvW to compete with ps2 (and possibly TESO in the future)
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I am one of those who bought GW2 for the WvW but after a few days of playing I found out it's wintergrasp with 3 factions and nowhere near DAoC RvR. I'm starting to believe we will never see good PvP in an MMO again...

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

The article totally misses what is wrong with PVP its the one sided way you are forced to play a zerg whackamole game on a Tiny map. There is little to no deviation on specs. Hardly any weapon choices and its over all just boring. You wont be able to play any interesting specs, CC, healing etc. the ones that look interesting like vampirism spec for Necro or maybe a field medic spec fro Ranger are just not possible because for every 10k points of damage a class does in dps you might do 140 points in healing or vampirism etc. It is lopsided towards spam dps and the maps are so small, well that doesn't help things. WvW is just the same except you zerg a door.

Sugar coated article to say the least.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

coming as a veteran player from eveonline- world of warcraft-and warhammer online- pvp expiriences, i have found GW2 refreshing and fun.

many may disagree-but ive come to a point in gaming were it should be fun and not taken so seriously.

Anet just does that! you can go full hardcore or just casual- u choose your destiny. either way you get rewarded!

wvwvw has been fun-they need to stop some realm crossover crap-but over all its been great!

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by orbitxo

coming as a veteran player from eveonline- world of warcraft-and warhammer online- pvp expiriences, i have found GW2 refreshing and fun.

many may disagree-but ive come to a point in gaming were it should be fun and not taken so seriously.

Anet just does that! you can go full hardcore or just casual- u choose your destiny. either way you get rewarded!

wvwvw has been fun-they need to stop some realm crossover crap-but over all its been great!

"Rewarded"

lol

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Xepo
    Originally posted by rmk70

I think they could do good things if they made WvWvW more meaningful. It just doesn't feel like you're really contributing to anything...

Same with sPvP but on a smaller scale.

I'd like to see amble progression (leveling, meaningful achievements, titles, skins, equipment rewards) opportunities via WvWvW as well as tangible server /  game impact from outcomes of WvWvW.

PvE is so bland in GW2 that PvP is their real opportunity to make this game shine. 

I do agree (mostly). The PvP apsect in GW2 needs to have more meaning. My impression of WvWvW was "zerg, zerg, zerg". Needless to say I was not impressed. I did not do sPvP yet in GW2 (my interest has been divided recently). As far as PvE I have enjoyed myself completely! I can not recall the last time I played through PvE in a game and enjoyed every aspect of the experience. I DO NOT miss the quest hubs one bit! I love the freedom of just exploring the world or looking for resources and stumbling apon someone crying out for help, or someone letting me know a fight has broke out near by.

The PvP setup in GW2 needs more changes (imo). It needs something that gives purpose to the battles besides getting the next gear item or making another / on your weapon chalking up the kills. Most MMO PvP just does not give meaning for playing. I want consequences for losing or winning (more than what is offered). Most MMOs even in PvE fail to make the affects known around you when something good or bad happens. Most the time you get the impression that "This too shall pass". Just wait an hour or a day and everything is back the way it was.

It hurts having to read your fancy font. Try regular font and maybe people will actually read your posts. 

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Yeah PvP in GW2 is fun. It's still in its infancy though.
  • Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60

No factions in GW2 make PVP pointless imho. The way the guilds are implemented at the moment also makes me wonder what what the Guild Wars in Guild Wars 2 stands for ??? (not to mention the retarded server rotation in WvW.... wow 5% buffs!). The way I see it GW2  has medicore pvp and wvw which are all implemented as a lobby features in order to keep people from whining too much. Pop in mindlessly kill some peeps and log out. I dont get the RPG implementation here with poorly implemented server allegiences. What kind of roleplaying (as in the RPG aspect in MMORPG) is it when humans, norn, sylvari and munchkins kill each other with no point what so ever. Even in WoW the Horde vs Alliance conflict gave pvp  purpose and meaning to some extent.

As a side note I was kinda dissapointed with the fact that in WvW players are anonymous. Don't think this promotes realm or personal pride and in my opinion goes against the principle of RPGs.  When I played WoW (b4 cross-realm) and WAR I came to recognize and respect my opponents because I battled with them daily. I am sure many here have had those few arch enemies on the opposing faction that made pvp fun. Here its just mindless. Plus I dont think most people keep track of what servers they are mashing against. 

I have been with GW2 since beta and find it an extremely beautiful but overall casual and shallow game. The PVE implementation is stunning and trully shines (the open world stuff, kinda dislike the dungeons) but for PVP you simply go somewhere else. 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

When talking about balance, most players talk about 1vs1 scenarios. While this might matter in random arenas where you fight pug vs pug, it is countered by the fact that the team composition is random to begin with. So you just can't expect to be prepared right for the fight like the way you could if you get to chose your team and plan their strategy.

Personally I only care about profession balance in sPVP. This is where the profession balance should be centered around imo. Because it is atm the only PVP encounter with very strict boundaries. Players get to chose their team and what they bring as team. So they can chose weapons and skills with great synergy and counters for other popular builds. This will show if the professions are balanced for PVP.

So I don't care if some solo minded player loses most of his/her battles and starts crying about unbalanced professions. Those kind of players mess it up for their side anyway, so who cares?

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Avison
    The state of GW2 pvp is comparable to a gigantic steaming turd. They halfassed the whole thing. GW2 is a complete step back from GW1 in almost every aspect.

+1

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

Gw2 WvW idea is awesome but here are my thoughts:

EB: is small. mass pvp fights = no fun, no skill, just bad fps for most of the players and random brainless dps. Even every1 has the same gear is # vs #

BGs are small. Same problem, zerg vs zerg.

When you log off, if u r lucky to have on enemy server  some freakin frenchs that lives in Canada and play on EU time they will take everything and no matter what u do during the day, they get easier in the nites since its their prime time. 

EB has to be at least 3-4 times the size its now. Only then it will make sense...the zerg will split and everyone can conquer something and have decent fights. 

BGs the size of EB is ok...or maybe EBx2.

And no, Gw2's pvp is not fun atm.

• DekahnDekahn Member UncommonPosts: 90
    LOL @ open world pvp being the death of anything, if anything instance pvp is what would be the death of something. Thus why all the newer titles coming out are NOT following that model.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Anet needs to trash Tournaments and rebuild their ranking system from scratch.  Honestly, just follow Starcraft 2 and League of Legend's system.  Its as simple as that.

However, that doesn't even touch on the actual balance of pvp atm (which is bad) nor the bugs for many classes.  Those, of course, need to be fixed as well.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

State of Guild Wars 2 PvP: Still not balanced.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Darrgen
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Bad dog.
    No coh was the first mmo with instanced pvp. Daoc had no instancing whatsoever in either pvp or pve

Zeus:
    It's a fair comparison. Planetside 2 is a rvr game. WvW is Arenanets take on rvr.

Fps mechanics aside, planetside dies it better.
    1 its bigger both in terms if land mass and players on screen
    2 its more strategic
    3 there's more rivalry - you know who shot you, you get to see all the rival guilds
    4 integrated Voip
    5 less p2w, no being forced to grind pve or use the cash shop to pay for your repairs and seige gear
    6 you don't spend 4 hours assaulting a base for the server to then turn round an hour later and go "gonna reset you now and pair you with some random unknown dudes on some other random servers"

Spot the guy who never played DAoC.

No instancing in pve? What a joke, the game had plenty of instancing. Task dungeons were all instances and lots of the pve quests had instanced sections to them.

Planetside was strategic, PS2 is a murder-bowl, no more or less strategy than GW2.

PS2 is more P2W than GW2.

Spot the guy that played DaoC when it was on it's way out. Daoc actually didn't have instances for anything until a few expansions in when many considered DaoC a sinking ship.

Good call Darrgen..We DAOC vets refer to Pre-ToA as the best time for DAOC. Can definately tell who played back then.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• HunterrorHunterror Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I, along with many others I assume, do not think GW2 sucks.  You just don't hear from us as much since we aren't on the forum complaining all the time.