Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online Goes F2P

2»

Comments

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by argirop

Free to play? Looks more than pay to win to me. From the other hand i would only play MO again if they re going to pay me. Thanks but no thanks.

If fact you are exactly right...  they implemented a pay2win model without understanding what they were doing _at all_.

There is no way a character with 60 skill can compete with characters with 100 skill.  It's not how free 2 play should be impemented.  

The problem was not that people need access to characters with 60 skill... the problem is that hardcore players need 3-4 paid accounts to experience the entire game.   This new model doesn't fix that.  They need to make access to paid accounts cheaper...  not paying 60$ a month so I can be self-sufficient.

This just smacks of a desperate attempt to get any activity on the server whatsoever.

As I said before and will say again:  pay-per-character model, 3$ a character per month.  No free to play.

• ShyaticShyatic Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by psykobilly
    Originally posted by argirop

Free to play? Looks more than pay to win to me. From the other hand i would only play MO again if they re going to pay me. Thanks but no thanks.

If fact you are exactly right...  they implemented a pay2win model without understanding what they were doing _at all_.

There is no way a character with 60 skill can compete with characters with 100 skill.  It's not how free 2 play should be impemented.  

The problem was not that people need access to characters with 60 skill... the problem is that hardcore players need 3-4 paid accounts to experience the entire game.   This new model doesn't fix that.  They need to make access to paid accounts cheaper...  not paying 60$ a month so I can be self-sufficient.

This just smacks of a desperate attempt to get any activity on the server whatsoever.

As I said before and will say again:  pay-per-character model, 3$ a character per month.  No free to play.

If you are holding out hope that you'll see smart moves from idiots like Henrik, I have a bridge to sell you...

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    A F2P sandbox? Intresting concept.
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

as someone who has never played MO.. i must wonder 

how does the f2p account limits effect the game play of f2pers vs those of subs? 

with the limited skill levels are you actually limited in what you can do? or are you still able to do everything the game offers just cant have a skill above 60?

all i ever hear on mo is that is a turd and someone forgot to flush, so i just wonder if this f2p stuff is worth it or not. or are you basicly going to be a lv 10 going against lv 1000  kind of deal.

• noobistnoobist Member Posts: 56

I just tried this out today and.... I cant stand the combat in this game. Graphics look good, but the gameplay is just to horrible.

Hope others like it, but this F2P really helped me out before I spent money on this game and became pissed that I wasted $$$ on a game like this.

Oh, and there are vets running around the noob spawns killing new players because they want to feel better about themselves.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by Ichmen

as someone who has never played MO.. i must wonder 

how does the f2p account limits effect the game play of f2pers vs those of subs? 

with the limited skill levels are you actually limited in what you can do? or are you still able to do everything the game offers just cant have a skill above 60?

all i ever hear on mo is that is a turd and someone forgot to flush, so i just wonder if this f2p stuff is worth it or not. or are you basicly going to be a lv 10 going against lv 1000  kind of deal.

it isnt as bad as that, for the most part you could potentially be of use to a guild with only 60 in skills, MO's combat ihas alot to do with actual player skill, for example if you play an fps and your bullets hit for 3 and your opponents 5, that doesnt mean you will loose everytime or that you cant become good at it, but you will always have that slight disadvantage.

It wasnt uncommon to see vets with only 60 in a skill dominate a fully skilled player who wasnt as seasoned in the game. But as a new player your obviously going to be getting killed often regardless of how high your skills are trained unless oyur fighting a fellow f2p

As far as crafting skills go however, nobody would want to buy anything fdrom someone with only 60 in a crafting skill

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Originally posted by deathshroud

it isnt as bad as that, for the most part you could potentially be of use to a guild with only 60 in skills, MO's combat ihas alot to do with actual player skill, for example if you play an fps and your bullets hit for 3 and your opponents 5, that doesnt mean you will loose everytime or that you cant become good at it, but you will always have that slight disadvantage.

You do realize that your example shows someone hitting for 66% more damage... and you refer to it as a slight disadvantage. but in Mortal it's more than that.  There are certain Armor types that you cannot even wear.. there are skills other than purely attack which will be at 60 vs 100.  So not only will your opponent do 66% more damage, but they will also take significantly less damage per shot than you will... Not mentioning other peripheral combat skills.

The way this is setup in game is a HUGE disadvantage and it's by design.  If it wasn't a huge disadvantage there would be little reason to sub.  Mortal Online has (and this is documented on their quarterly reports) lost money for years.  The last report showed that their funds were dangerously low and even Henrick stated that they needed to find more revenue. The question is simply whether or not enough people will give them money to make up for the new players not paying a cent (which drive costs higher). Observations in game will not prove or disprove this.  We will only know in a few months when they have to publish the real numbers for their stock holders.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96

I did make an account, I did play it for a bit. I honestly truely wanted this game to be fun.

Unfurtunately thoe I don't see it . I now know why it went free to play.

I so want an open world pvp game to play. but ... I can't handle this many glitches, for a beta or alpha id hang in there but this is released.

/Quit

Perhaps in 6 months a year I will return, IF it's still around.

• frulakukfrulakuk Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

You do realize that your example shows someone hitting for 66% more damage... and you refer to it as a slight disadvantage. but in Mortal it's more than that.  There are certain Armor types that you cannot even wear.. there are skills other than purely attack which will be at 60 vs 100.  So not only will your opponent do 66% more damage, but they will also take significantly less damage per shot than you will... Not mentioning other peripheral combat skills.

Gotta lover people with horrible math skills trying to tell others that they are wrong. The difference between 3 and 5 is 40% and the point he was making is that it does not matter as much if the guy with more damage is a worser player and can't hit as much and as well. Also those numbers are a bit big as the difference in damage from 60 to 100 is not that big, he might not have used the most accurate example. And of course in an equal fight with two people that are exactly the same it will make some difference, hence you have to be the better player in general. If numbers are all you count on in a fight you won't be really successful.

Yes, this is my first post, and people will jump it for that, your horrible math just compelled me to make an account and reply and none of that will change how horrible your math is.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by frulakuk

Gotta lover people with horrible math skills trying to tell others that they are wrong. The difference between 3 and 5 is 40% and the point he was making is that it does not matter as much if the guy with more damage is a worser player and can't hit as much and as well. Also those numbers are a bit big as the difference in damage from 60 to 100 is not that big, he might not have used the most accurate example. And of course in an equal fight with two people that are exactly the same it will make some difference, hence you have to be the better player in general. If numbers are all you count on in a fight you won't be really successful.

Yes, this is my first post, and people will jump it for that, your horrible math just compelled me to make an account and reply and none of that will change how horrible your math is.

Apparently you havent played MO and if you have you only played the trial (with skill cap at 60). Otherwise you would know that no one in Sv is good at math so the numbers are there just for your eyes. If you take an offensive skill like swords and check the damage outcome every 10 skill lvls you will notice that theres no significant difference untill you actually hit 60, 70, 80,90 and cap at 100. Theres no way for a f2p player to compete with a subbed one, unless the second one is afk or missing a keyboard or a mouse or both.

But yea you are correct and 5 is 40% higher from 3, but maybe you need to chill out a bit. You cant judge someoenes math skills cause of one mistake and also here aint the place to do so. Cheers.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

well having played the game nad hiving used a 60 skill warrior naked i can tell you they arent completely useless provided oyu know how to play

but i do think this is going to be neough to prevent any sort of long term f2p player base in MO. they will either quit or sub.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Originally posted by frulakuk
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Really?

I specifically said 66% MORE damage. 

The difference between 3 and 5 is 2.  That would be 2 MORE damage.

2 is... hold on now...  66% of 3

Here is an amazing math fact for you though:  3 is actually 40% LESS than 5, but that is not what I said.  yes, I know this can be a difficult concept for some, but 5 is 66% greater than 3, while 3 is only 40% less than 5!  So I think we do not necessarilly have a math problem but a reading comprehension one...

I now return you to your failed math troll attempt. 

PS: Just to help here is a handy link for future reference before you try and criticize someone elses math skills:

http://www.marshu.com/articles/calculate-percentage-increase-decrease-percent-calculator.php

Plug in 3 and 5 and let me know what the percent increase is :-)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

well having played the game nad hiving used a 60 skill warrior naked i can tell you they arent completely useless provided oyu know how to play

but i do think this is going to be neough to prevent any sort of long term f2p player base in MO. they will either quit or sub.

Sure you can pretty much perfect block everything even with a worn sword (if we assume that you wont be betrayed by the crappy prediction, glitches etc etc). But thats it. You have great disadvantages regarding dmg outcome and income, speed, stamina efficiency, tier of armor and claiming the opposite is plain wrong. You cant compete with a fully developed character unless he is cripple.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i can understand not allowing f2pers to wear some of the best armor. or own land or something like that.. 

but to hogtie them in skills when the game is basicly a skill based system is rather sad. im used to freediums and cookie cutter f2p games where you cant do all the fun stuff without item mall or sub. but of those they atleast only limit the minior things. 

PoTBs it was some ships or total ships allowed and bank stuff.

DCUO it was total allowed stored bank and some maps that were xps. 

but none really limited skill levels or the skills you could unlock :/ ect.

this f2p version of mo sounds really bad in that regard. given that its a heavy PVP game where skills are the most important thing, they are litterally forcing you to sub while claiming its f2p. so why even bother dropping the sub and saying its f2p "sort of" 

if whateveryone is saying is truely accurate, any f2per is pretty much fked playing mo if they never plan to sub. 

basicly it comes right down to it, if you plan to play mo you have to sub you can not play as  f2per at all in any sort of enjoyable mannor.  while granted if you like mo you should be subbing to it, i guess..  as someone who has never played it, this fake freedium makes me not want to. :/ 

im not a huge fan of narfed pvp, where you are screwed if you dont have the exact same stuff.

Originally posted by Ichmen

i can understand not allowing f2pers to wear some of the best armor. or own land or something like that.. 

but to hogtie them in skills when the game is basicly a skill based system is rather sad. im used to freediums and cookie cutter f2p games where you cant do all the fun stuff without item mall or sub. but of those they atleast only limit the minior things. 

PoTBs it was some ships or total ships allowed and bank stuff.

DCUO it was total allowed stored bank and some maps that were xps. 

but none really limited skill levels or the skills you could unlock :/ ect.

this f2p version of mo sounds really bad in that regard. given that its a heavy PVP game where skills are the most important thing, they are litterally forcing you to sub while claiming its f2p. so why even bother dropping the sub and saying its f2p "sort of" 

if whateveryone is saying is truely accurate, any f2per is pretty much fked playing mo if they never plan to sub. 

basicly it comes right down to it, if you plan to play mo you have to sub you can not play as  f2per at all in any sort of enjoyable mannor.  while granted if you like mo you should be subbing to it, i guess..  as someone who has never played it, this fake freedium makes me not want to. :/ 

im not a huge fan of narfed pvp, where you are screwed if you dont have the exact same stuff.

The answer to your questions is simple. Sv is a bunch of kids that having the advantage of Henriks dad money. This group of people, desided at some point to make their own game to play with. Since then and when they realized that playerbase for sanbox games is hungry for a decent up to date game, created a company even though all of them where clueless concerning management, marketing and most important concerning coding, developing and running a game. To bypass those few "minor issues" Henrik Nystrom, who is the front man of the failed boy band, was very consistent on hyping, lying, deceiving and using not so legitimate tactics in order to keep subbed few of the naive or if you prefer people that desperatelly wanted to believe that his game will become decent eventually. For more than 2 years followed this route and now that the limited sandbox playerbase is fed up with his bs and even the most naive realized that MO project will never become the game they where hoping to and the company behind it is just a fraud, he for the first time listened to few remaining hardcore fanboys (who in cooperation with SV's total lack of skills and professionalism brought the game one step beyond plugging it out) and now he is following their suggestions trying desperatelly to save himself from drowning. Suggestions of the type "grab yourself from the hair and pull yourself out of the water to save yourself".

First episode came with the donations (free MO) project, that came from a guy called Lahuzer if i remember correctly, and filled Henriks pockets with a couple of thousands of dollars (being generous on the amount) that could keep the game going on for several days.

Second episode is the failed f2p project that came from another fanboy called Diphrael. To make things clear and to give you a clear picture on whos suggestions SV is following i ll say a couple of things about Diphrael. A sad little griefer that used every possible exploit, glitch, window on their crappy code to grief others by the broken thievery system. One guy that was constantly crawling the forums bashing anyone who was giving some constractive feedback, suggestions or simply was criticising SV for their numerous failures, broken promisses etc etc. One guy that was claiming everything in MO was smooth and running appart from thievery who wanted some love. One guy that was yelling "stop bitching and move on" to anyone who had a complain to SV.  Today the same guy made a suggestion post (that Henrik followed blindly to his total) by gathering many of the suggestions (from good ones to terrible ones) he was against at first place, concerning the f2p model that SV implemented as we speak. Due to lack of vision, skills, knowledge and education SV is following blindly a f2p model that is poorly designed, fundamentally wrong, doomed as much as childish and retarded, without even adjusting it to something sensible.

The bottom line is that at this point SV reached the bottom of their own box. They started by hyping the game itself and gathering a quite large amount of money by selling thousands of preorders of different game versions and all that money where used in anything but developement, while MO more than two years after release, is a game in alpha state riddled with bugs, exploiters and exploits, retarded gm's that have the right to interfere with the virtual world, take sides and change even the outcome of battles that involve several players (paying customers). They did one mistake after another and they kept repeating the same mistakes over and over again untill today that even the most diehard fans are tired of and stoped supporting. And now that they are at the end of their line, they resort in desperate measures, while not a single moment in their short history focused their energy in developing their own game or hire appropriate professionals to do so.

• DanderXDanderX Member Posts: 15

You need to look at the big picture. If everybody goes F2P than 60 will be the new 100 so there will be balance and nobody will have to pay money. :D

And LOL at the guy with the "fail math" argument. That was hilarious man. 3 to 5 were 40%. :D What's this math for retards?

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    Good post agirop. That is SV's biggest issue, they move from one gimmick to the next in order to keep ther game running for a bit longer. Regrettably, making their game into a good one isn't on the list.
  • RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

In my opinion, this is not F2P.

Just look at it that way. MO is not free yet. Its just an infinit trial.

MO is an incomplete game so look at it that way. Open beta is back and you may subscribe if you want.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif