Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One major and one minor issue

FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Major issue:

When moderators remove offending text and replace it with [mod edit], it doesn't carry over to messages that quoted that message.

Minor issue:

The forum code seems dated.  It doesn't track where you've already been in a thread.  I always have to manually go and try to figure out where I last was.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The first one is because a reply that quotes a previous post contains the full text that it quotes, not just a reference to the previous post.  Otherwise, it wouldn't allow you to edit the quoted text down.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    The first one is because a reply that quotes a previous post contains the full text that it quotes, not just a reference to the previous post.  Otherwise, it wouldn't allow you to edit the quoted text down.

Every other forum I go to modifies every post that quoted the modified post immediately after a mod edits it

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Every other forum I go to modifies every post that quoted the modified post immediately after a mod edits it

I can tell you that our mod team would greatly appreciate this, but unfortunately, I've already looked into it and it doesn't look like it is possible. I guess it's a bit hard to explain it, but quoting doesn't actually reference the actual post, it just creates an HTML quote around the desired text, basically. This means there's no real automated way to do what you're saying. Our moderators have to just do the mod edits by hand. We do our best to ensure quoted offenses are mod edited as well, but unfortunately some do slip through!

As for keeping track of where you were. I'll look into this for you.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by MikeB

i thought the way to keep track was going to our profile page and looking at overview.  we also have the "recently visted threads" to our left.  but,  i think a notification when we get quoted might be nice.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by MikeB

i thought the way to keep track was going to our profile page and looking at overview.  we also have the "recently visted threads" to our left.  but,  i think a notification when we get quoted might be nice.

What I'm referring to is some forums seem to know where to send me when I click the thread itself.  For small threads it's not really an issue, but in large ones it can take time to get my bearings.