Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Hate Freemium

12346»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

I don’t see this as being something where if you do not agree with me on every issue the industry must be perfect. I am not that bothered about PvP trash for example, I prefer faction based open world PvP, but like instanced PvP for a quick bash. I just grabbed a few current themes, I was not putting forward a manifesto.

Fair enough if you want MMO’s that are skill based, more puzzles and housing. We don’t get those in many MMO’s, that shows you want things to change. You shy away from questioning  the current state of the genre though. For me there is just too much that is off kilter for me not to question the state of gameplay. Not sure what board style is, board gaming?

Some games are overpriced, I don’t get concerned too much about that, retailers need to make a profit after all. F2P has turned MMO’s downmarket, I see no benefits to that. I have played the odd F2P game, PS2 currently, I always end up thinking it would have been better as a sub game. I am a fan of the indie game concept but it is harder to produce a quality game with fewer resources and the content locusts which are the baulk of the player base are utterly unforgiving. But this is all about finance, nothing about gameplay, if you don’t think gameplay needs to change at all then you think the gaming industry is nigh on perfect. After all the industry is about making games.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Scot

I don’t see this as being something where if you do not agree with me on every issue the industry must be perfect. I am not that bothered about PvP trash for example, I prefer faction based open world PvP, but like instanced PvP for a quick bash. I just grabbed a few current themes, I was not putting forward a manifesto.

Fair enough if you want MMO’s that are skill based, more puzzles and housing. We don’t get those in many MMO’s, that shows you want things to change. You shy away from questioning  the current state of the genre though. For me there is just too much that is off kilter for me not to question the state of gameplay. Not sure what board style is, board gaming?

Some games are overpriced, I don’t get concerned too much about that, retailers need to make a profit after all. F2P has turned MMO’s downmarket, I see no benefits to that. I have played the odd F2P game, PS2 currently, I always end up thinking it would have been better as a sub game. I am a fan of the indie game concept but it is harder to produce a quality game with fewer resources and the content locusts which are the baulk of the player base are utterly unforgiving. But this is all about finance, nothing about gameplay, if you don’t think gameplay needs to change at all then you think the gaming industry is nigh on perfect. After all the industry is about making games.

So we differ in HOW the industry is imperfect. But you can't claim that i think it is perfect. I just posted a list of things i like to see changed.

And we differ in opinions of WHAT need to be changed. Business-wise, i like to see MORE F2P .. because it allows less commitment, more game hopping. I am sure you disagree.

On the gameplay side, i like to see more innvoation in blending MMO with other genre, you want pure old school MMOs. Don't get me wrong, i hate easy-questing gameplay too ... but i think the fix is more actiony diablo 3 type combat, with difficulty levers .. instead of going back to group based kill-any-mob to level gameplay.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

Freemium has pretty much ruined the genre for me. Even games that were just Sub & Play are all implementing some sort of cash shop into them. Not just MMOs but single player games in general are starting to add pay-for items. Problem is so bad, that out of the 13 years I've been playing MMOs, I actually found myself looking for another hobby for the first time, ever. Not for boredem, not for doing the same crap over again, but I've grown quite sick and tired of being a part of win with your pockets instead of win with your skills.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I just dont' see a point in complaining about them.  IMO that does absolutely no good.  I do not think complaining has any positives at all.  Now making a point and proposing a reasonable solution is fine and good but complaining, no does nothing.

I take a look at what the games offer, if it looks interesting I'll ry it.  If it doesn't I'll do something else, build another desk, work on a ship, play a different game read a book.  Thats pretty much the approach I take with everything.

If I can do something about it I will, if there is nothing constructive I can do about it then I don't sweat it. 

edit - brick and board is referring to a housing style of building like in the EQ2 Tenebrous Island or even CoH where I can choose the rooms and build from the inside, where I decide what I build and how it looks.  They provide materials but I choose what the wall looks like, where it goes, how it bends....  so very much like in the world using bricks and boards to build a house. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

I am all for mixing formats, PS2 is a “MMO” that mixes formats.  PS2 is the re-release of an old idea but mixing of formats is so rare that you can bring out an old mixed format with up to date graphics and it is a novelty. That is a change of gameplay you are looking for so I certainly accept that as an industry criticism.

I don’t want pure old school MMO’s, not sure how many times you have to say that until posters believe you on here. It is very likely that the elements of gameplay I would want would contain too many from old school MMO’s for some posters. But that is bound to happen, just as some posters would think I want too little.

Salio69, this has been a concern for so many of us. Originally we said F2P was bad for MMO’s, but the industry hardly took any notice. You might point out hybrid payment  models as an attempt to address our concerns about F2P. But once you have a cash shop the push to game changing items and pay to win seems just a matter of time. I still support Turbines payment model, but it has got worse as time has passed.

Not trying to convert you VengeSunsoar, but you do realise housing is now so down the list on the priority of a modern easyMMO it only comes above the likes of Roleplaying? It is just one of many parts of the open world that was put in the trash bin.

I do think it is important to voice your concerns, complain, whatever you want to call it. What we say does get back to those who make the decisions. They rarely take notice, but then that’s just the same as in the rest of life.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

No wonder you are fine with pay to win and day 1 DLC. Explains everything. Either that, or you are a Grade A troll...who the heck would be fine with a developer cutting out content and releasing it as Day 1 DLC?

Appels and oranges.

Day 1 DLC can make good sense, if its free for those who buy on day one.

The issue here is that games are bein resonld in GameStop and the likes. This helps you make your money bakc, and it earns money for the reseller. The publisher gets left out though. Day 1 DLC (again the type that is free for the orginal purhaser of the game, as in included as bonus content) helps the publisher to also make a few $ each time the game is resold, as those second hand buyers are likely to also buy this DLC.

When done like that, its a fair messure.

Day 1 DLC that is not free for original purchasers, now that is greed...

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Salio69

Freemium has pretty much ruined the genre for me. Even games that were just Sub & Play are all implementing some sort of cash shop into them. Not just MMOs but single player games in general are starting to add pay-for items. Problem is so bad, that out of the 13 years I've been playing MMOs, I actually found myself looking for another hobby for the first time, ever. Not for boredem, not for doing the same crap over again, but I've grown quite sick and tired of being a part of win with your pockets instead of win with your skills.

He, he. Its kind of like in the movie "The Incrdibles": "If everyone is super, no one is".

The p2w model only lets people pay to win if a minority is actually doing it. If the majority is paying to win, you have effectively just upped the price of the game and the most skillfull people are still winning. Messes with your head.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I am all for mixing formats, PS2 is a “MMO” that mixes formats.  PS2 is the re-release of an old idea but mixing of formats is so rare that you can bring out an old mixed format with up to date graphics and it is a novelty. That is a change of gameplay you are looking for so I certainly accept that as an industry criticism.

I don’t want pure old school MMO’s, not sure how many times you have to say that until posters believe you on here. It is very likely that the elements of gameplay I would want would contain too many from old school MMO’s for some posters. But that is bound to happen, just as some posters would think I want too little.

Salio69, this has been a concern for so many of us. Originally we said F2P was bad for MMO’s, but the industry hardly took any notice. You might point out hybrid payment  models as an attempt to address our concerns about F2P. But once you have a cash shop the push to game changing items and pay to win seems just a matter of time. I still support Turbines payment model, but it has got worse as time has passed.

Not trying to convert you VengeSunsoar, but you do realise housing is now so down the list on the priority of a modern easyMMO it only comes above the likes of Roleplaying? It is just one of many parts of the open world that was put in the trash bin.

I do think it is important to voice your concerns, complain, whatever you want to call it. What we say does get back to those who make the decisions. They rarely take notice, but then that’s just the same as in the rest of life.

Housing was never big in MMO's, only a few ever had them, only a few have them now.  Same with roleplaying.  Very few games ever had features that promoted roleplaying, it was almost entirely up to our own imagination, same as now. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.