Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition to Launch Today

2»

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Yizle
    I just don't see the minor graphics update and a couple of new chars which I would really like to see and play with worth $20 for a 14 year old game.

I think the point is that a lot of people are unable to access the game and would still like to give it a spin.  I just dug up a bunch of 90's early 2000's games and realized (not much of a computer nerd) that none of them would work and that you're now at the mercy of others in order to get these games to work.

I would be much more excited about playing BG2 again as it seemed to be considerably better than the original BG...I think I'll wait for that.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by Yizle
    I just don't see the minor graphics update and a couple of new chars which I would really like to see and play with worth $20 for a 14 year old game.

I think the point is that a lot of people are unable to access the game and would still like to give it a spin.  I just dug up a bunch of 90's early 2000's games and realized (not much of a computer nerd) that none of them would work and that you're now at the mercy of others in order to get these games to work.

I would be much more excited about playing BG2 again as it seemed to be considerably better than the original BG...I think I'll wait for that.

Yeah maybe I will wait for that since I never played it. I just do not see it is worth the pricetag currently.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

20 bucks for 14 year old crap? Hell no

The enhancements doesn't mean shit when it still looks like it did in 1998.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I pre-ordered this, and I do not regret my decision. Quite the opposite, even with the delay in release date, I'm content and happy wandering through Sword Coast again!

The launch however was quite chaotic, with beamdog servers failing pretty hard and release being delayed by about one and a half hour. But since then, everything has been working perfect for me.

Now, if we only could have better AI! Heh, that would be something.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

What they did is make the game so it fits well at hi res and wide screen resolutions where the old game just didnt work well with modern computers.

I bought a copy from Impulse a while back and it was all small and boxy and real hard to play on a modern rig. What they did was spend lots of time and hours going over the code, making everything work well in and out of zoom, and just made the game work well on modern systems, especially with IOS and Android releases coming soon.

They also combined Baldur's with the Sword Coast expansion and added in every class and kit from BG 2 and its expansion, so that you can start from the beginning as whatever class/kit you want.

They added 3 new characters with about four hours of storyline each, plus a new side adventure. They are also working on making multiplayer easier instead of the old school "do you know their IP' way.

Plus, they added in a Tab feature that  highlights whats on the screen, so those really small hidden items are easier to find.

So, I have been playing all day and I really think this is worth the 20 dollars to travel back to a game that had no hand holding and death hid around every fog of war, so frequent saves were always necessary.

Heck, I spent more this last year on games that turned out to be less amusing with bigger promises. Well worht the twenty bucks.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

@negacrowbar - BGEE is indeed BG in widescreen and I can already hear some ppl say "Yeah, BGtutu did the same". Well, not really... BGEE has more to offer. For starters, in widescreen you can now zoom in/out of your party. Compare this with BGtutu where in 1920x1080 the characters were extremely small and you could hardly target anything. An other very nice addition is an actual quest journal. Not the story journal that was in BG, but a list of quests that you're on and have completed (saves me some paper notes).

Sadly, I have to go to work now, or I'd be playing BGEE all day already. I've been wanting to play BG again for years, but the low graphics resolution kept me from starting again. So for me, it's $20 (€16) wel spent!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    doesn't look much better imo, I don't think they should be using the word enhanced when it looks so minimal.

Yeah, I was expecting something along the lines of the Street Fighter 2 revamp that Capcom did with completely overhauled graphics but the same gameplay.

Why are they charging $20 for this?  

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Netspook

Did you ever play this game?  14 yr old crap?  Come on man, get real.  This is a classic solid RPG with hours and hours of gameplay.  People by blu-rays all the time of a copy of a dvd or for the real old people VHS tapes they have.  These cost 10-30bucks.  I haven't bought it yet, I will but was really hoping for a boxed version.

There are a ton of old games I would pay money for (Give me an updated Xwing/Tiefighter I'd pay $50.00 each for them)

This a simple case in point of you really like the game and what to seem them updated, and you want to support the game so that they can make more games with this ISO type gameplay.  Some people love the ISO (D3 anyone?)  Either way.  Think of it as a "kickstarter" more or less.

Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    doesn't look much better imo, I don't think they should be using the word enhanced when it looks so minimal.

Yeah, I was expecting something along the lines of the Street Fighter 2 revamp that Capcom did with completely overhauled graphics but the same gameplay.

Why are they charging $20 for this?  

Because they try to give the impression that there are huge amount of improvements (without giving much details, really). From their website:

• New Adventure: The Black Pits (standalone, 6+ hours gameplay)
    • New Character: Dorn Il-Khan
    • New Character: Neera the Wild Mage
    • New Character: Rasaad yn Bashir
    • A new collection of player character voice sets
    • Native support for high resolution widescreen displays
    • Over 400 improvements to the original game
    • Improved multiplayer support, with connectivity between all platforms
    As you can see, nothing about what the "400 imprvements" are. Imo, this doesn't matter at all, even if the number was 10,000 or more. It still got the 1998 graphics, and that alone is a no-no, imo.

Originally posted by kilun

Did you ever play this game?  14 yr old crap?  Come on man, get real.  This is a classic solid RPG with hours and hours of gameplay.  People by blu-rays all the time of a copy of a dvd or for the real old people VHS tapes they have.  These cost 10-30bucks.  I haven't bought it yet, I will but was really hoping for a boxed version.

There are a ton of old games I would pay money for (Give me an updated Xwing/Tiefighter I'd pay $50.00 each for them)

This a simple case in point of you really like the game and what to seem them updated, and you want to support the game so that they can make more games with this ISO type gameplay.  Some people love the ISO (D3 anyone?)  Either way.  Think of it as a "kickstarter" more or less.

Yes, I still have the box, also the expansion, and I loved it back then.

Doesn't matter how great it was in 1998. It's 14, again: FOURTEEN, years old, and we're used to MUCH better stuff today.

Btw, you can't compare re-released movies with games. I have several blurays of old movies, all are digitally improved, and the result is amazing. This game has no visual improvement at all, afaik.

• MikeMossMikeMoss Member UncommonPosts: 66

Hi

I loved Baldur's Gate back when I did it originally.

But I just don't think I could play a top down game like this anymore.

In the worlds of Skyrim, The Secret World, and all the other immersive 3D games it just doesn't feel convincing anymore.

Especially now that I have 3D Vision.

When I set up my new computer with 3D Vision I really thought that I'd play for a while in 3D, and then go back to 2D to let my eyes recover as I have with 3D stuff I've done it the past.

I really got it to create my own content more then to use it to play games.

But I found that when ever I play anything now I grab my 3D glasses.

I'd miss the emersion you get in a modern 3D game going back to older games like Baldur's Gate now.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you have to use a silencer?

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by kilun

20 bucks for 14 year old crap? Hell no The enhancements doesn't mean shit when it still looks like it did in 1998.

I'm right there with you on xwing/tie fighter. I'm surprised nobody ever ripped off those games and made an updated version. Although I do think that game would need a graphics update unlike a slow rpg like bg.

I'm considering buying this even though bg2 was much better.