Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is just a big fail *for me*

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Emphasis on *for me*. I have no clue how active people are in general. Tho I'd like to know.

Really, it was just a short lived experienced, strangely even MUCH shorter than ANY other big MMO of the last years. Heck, I played SWTOR 4-5 months before I really had enough. Here, after 6 weeks I really began to feel tired and bored. I mean, don't get me wrong, visually and by design this is probably THE most beautiful game world, at least in fantasy. But so much other stuff just didn't work for me. I can just sum up some impressions.

- COMBAT SYSTEM: While I enjoyed the fresh and different feeling at first a lot, the longer I played the more bored I felt. In some way, most classes played way too similar. For instance, a WOW Druid or Mage REALLY play different. Not to speak of their various specializations. In GW2 a Warrior and Vanguard doesn't feel different, and even a Thief and a Ranger feel just a bit different. Not really overmuch. The few skills you have really limit the variaty, and I miss my 3-4 full skillbars and the many options how to fight. Any char loses health WAAAY too fast, so it forces you to lolcopter and evade, which over time just began to get on my nerves and making me feel weak.

- LACK OF TRINITY: Yeah I am an outspoken fan of the Trinity, because I love the REAL cooperation of teams it allows. Any other jack-of-all-trade system like GW2 never ever worked creating good teamplay. There isn't much in terms of social gameplay experience either. *shrug*

- EVENTS: At first this event system really looked pleasing and fun. But again, over time I began to feel dull and nauseated. I really stopped caring for the story, and just realized I was simply grinding that damn bar that filled as I did whatever the "event" told me to. I never thought I say that, but I actually miss real quests. Somehow I can't help but think a real quest can bring more diversity that these "fill bar X while doing Y" event stuff. Events would have been good additionally, like the Rifts. But as the sole system I found them too weak. And the events don't create any social experience either. Unlike in Rift people are not grouped and thus not inclined to do stuff together still. Everyone just silently works "together" a while and then runs off.

- BORING ENDGAME: As ever so often, GW2 didn't make much better endgame. I like the open world WvW a lot, but how long can you conquer the same castle over and over until it gets old? The last 20 level zones are tough, some impossible to solo, and I felt like I was way too easy overpowered by mobs. So endgame felt more like a chore to me. I wasn't even able to finish my stories, because in the last level the story instances are too tough for me, and nobody ever joined me to help. :/

*shrug* If you enjoy the game, thats really fine. But I am really let down. MORE than by SWTOR to be honest. I am not that angry because I was a huge Star Wars fan, and I never cared that much about GW2. I really wanted to like it, and at first I was totally thriled. But the longer I played the more I got bored, and I really never got bored THAT fast than with GW2. Just my two cents.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Same here.

Bored and couldn't log in anymore after couple of weeks.

I agree with pretty much everything OP mentioned, except maybe trinity. I don't miss it, however lack of it takes away from grouping and communication, which is bad for any MMO.

To me, major letdowns are no resource cooldown combat and repetitive SPVP.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    I'm with ya OP. Logged about 80 hours and just don't see myself logging in again.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Elikal

I can just sum up some impressions.... get on my nerves and making me feel weak...There isn't much in terms of social gameplay experience either.... But as the sole system I found them too weak. And the events don't create any social experience either.... The last 20 level zones are tough, some impossible to solo, and I felt like I was way too easy overpowered by mobs. So endgame felt more like a chore to me. I wasn't even able to finish my stories, because in the last level the story instances are too tough for me, and nobody ever joined me to help. :/

That is my summary. A lot of weakness and inability to bo social - sound right? Heard several game is too hard complaints a while back..

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

As much as I hate to admit it, I pretty much feel the same way. A lot of the systems in this game seemed a lot better on paper than they turned out to be in reality.

I still tinker with it some since there is no sub fee, but it is really hard to motivate myself to log in most days.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Well, I love gw2, but I can understand you very well :) I got exactly the same feeling while playing some of sandbox games (wurm comes to mind).

I'd like to address combat though. I play 5 classes simultaneously. To be honest, fight feels very different for all of them. Maybe I'm just lucky to use specific combination of weapons that doesn't share similar mechanics, but everytime I switch character, I have problem of adjusting to new playstyle for a while. Also sorry, but comparing druid and mage and than warrior and guardian... that's pretty one sided isn't it? Go to wow and compare mage and oomkin druid - very different playstyle, isn't it?

Just for the sake of completeness, these are main weapons my characters use: war - greatsword, ranger - longbow, thief - dagger+pistol, mesmer - staff, elementalist - staff. I also tried hammer guardian and staff necro, but for some reason it wasn't so fun for me.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Emphasis on *for me*. I have no clue how active people are in general. Tho I'd like to know.

Really, it was just a short lived experienced, strangely even MUCH shorter than ANY other big MMO of the last years. Heck, I played SWTOR 4-5 months before I really had enough. Here, after 6 weeks I really began to feel tired and bored. I mean, don't get me wrong, visually and by design this is probably THE most beautiful game world, at least in fantasy. But so much other stuff just didn't work for me. I can just sum up some impressions.

- COMBAT SYSTEM: While I enjoyed the fresh and different feeling at first a lot, the longer I played the more bored I felt. In some way, most classes played way too similar. For instance, a WOW Druid or Mage REALLY play different. Not to speak of their various specializations. In GW2 a Warrior and Vanguard doesn't feel different, and even a Thief and a Ranger feel just a bit different. Not really overmuch. The few skills you have really limit the variaty, and I miss my 3-4 full skillbars and the many options how to fight. Any char loses health WAAAY too fast, so it forces you to lolcopter and evade, which over time just began to get on my nerves and making me feel weak.

- LACK OF TRINITY: Yeah I am an outspoken fan of the Trinity, because I love the REAL cooperation of teams it allows. Any other jack-of-all-trade system like GW2 never ever worked creating good teamplay. There isn't much in terms of social gameplay experience either. *shrug*

- EVENTS: At first this event system really looked pleasing and fun. But again, over time I began to feel dull and nauseated. I really stopped caring for the story, and just realized I was simply grinding that damn bar that filled as I did whatever the "event" told me to. I never thought I say that, but I actually miss real quests. Somehow I can't help but think a real quest can bring more diversity that these "fill bar X while doing Y" event stuff. Events would have been good additionally, like the Rifts. But as the sole system I found them too weak. And the events don't create any social experience either. Unlike in Rift people are not grouped and thus not inclined to do stuff together still. Everyone just silently works "together" a while and then runs off.

- BORING ENDGAME: As ever so often, GW2 didn't make much better endgame. I like the open world WvW a lot, but how long can you conquer the same castle over and over until it gets old? The last 20 level zones are tough, some impossible to solo, and I felt like I was way too easy overpowered by mobs. So endgame felt more like a chore to me. I wasn't even able to finish my stories, because in the last level the story instances are too tough for me, and nobody ever joined me to help. :/

*shrug* If you enjoy the game, thats really fine. But I am really let down. MORE than by SWTOR to be honest. I am not that angry because I was a huge Star Wars fan, and I never cared that much about GW2. I really wanted to like it, and at first I was totally thriled. But the longer I played the more I got bored, and I really never got bored THAT fast than with GW2. Just my two cents.

If everyone loved GW2 then there is no point in making any new MMOs.

It's all about what you are looking for in a game, you miss the old system with trinity, raid,quest hubs ect I for one don't, so GW2 for me is a breeze of fresh air in the stinky swamp of WoW clones.

Hope you find what you are looking for in the future.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    The only thing i disagree with you OP is lack of trinity. I really don't miss it at all..not even for a second.
  • xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

In GW2 a Warrior and Vanguard doesn't feel different

[mod edit]

Normally I wouldn't care since you state it is subjective and it is a short lived experience.

But apparently it was so short lived that you didn't know the class names. Assuming you actually played Guardian, thus coming up with the conclusion that Warrior and Guardian are similar. But then how can you play for 6 months and not know the names?

Combat system:

Thief and Ranger plays "a bit different"? Did you pick up a bow and (shortbow for thief) and decided it was similar?

Warrior and Guardian (assuming thats what you meant) doesn't feel different? Is it because they both had a spinning attack animation with Greatsword?

Trinity: no comment, that is strictly subjective. Personally I am very glad that I don't have to rely on one guy to keep me alive in a group.

Events: The events you are taking about are Heart quest, not dynamic events, the ones where you protect caravans and fight an entire camp of centaurs.

Endgame: Because you can't finish the story, that makes it boring? In a game called Guild Wars, you decided to not join a guild?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

You don't think the Warrior and the VANGUARD are very different?

They aren't even in the same game!

And lol at having problems with the story with Warrior or VANGUARD. Please don't touch a squishy class.

Or what about the difference between an Elementalist with crazy high damage and can be killed by a sneeze or the Necromancer which take its time to kill stuff but you need to fall asleep to be killed?

Anyway, this is like what the third thread of the OP saying he left the game?

One every month or so?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Torgrim

SNIP!

If everyone loved GW2 then there is no point in making any new MMOs.

It's all about what you are looking for in a game, you miss the old system with trinity, raid,quest hubs ect I for one don't, so GW2 for me is a breeze of fresh air in the stinky swamp of WoW clones.

Hope you find what you are looking for in the future.

I feel this is a pertinent point and I get from Elikal's post there's is an angst to "why" he doesn't like the game rather than its just not for him and thats OK. Though the angst probably runs more to the overall state of MMO's for him, I would suggest just trying to go with the flow with MMO's and maybe something will click you never know, that's what's great about life isn't it?

As to the review I've finally grabbed a copy after getting into the 4 day trial a few weeks back and I've been really quite inpressed. The World as Elikal mentioned is beautiful and the fact of having massive race cities was a big selling point for me, but I think the biggest selling point and what made me buy the game was the felling that it was different even though you do the same as in other "themepark" MMO's you approach it completely differently and the final icing was the combat system and something that was a major disappointment in SW:TOR as that was just a carbon copy WoW system. The combat system in GW2 has a lot of depth for me I see many builds on my Warroir already and I've only unlocked a few utilities and trait points and the fact that I die alot is telling me I need to l2p my toon better, that inturn forces me to think about my weapon, attributes and skill setup and that's a real Boon image over other MMO's where its just pick a tree and fill it up.

I'm glad I never went into GW2 at release as it seems playing the DE's with fewer players helps to make them more involved and difficult with the possibility of failure, yes failure in a modern MMO, are you kidding me? image. I cannot though say this will hold my attention for years and years but the promise is there and thats at least reassuring for me. There are many other things I like as well but I'll leave it there, rather than highjack the thread.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

i played gw2 till around level 30.. i sometimes play it for bg''s that''s all..

Kinda waiting till they add some more elements in the bg''s like guildfights and so on they had in gw1

• Shadow-FocusShadow-Focus Member Posts: 13

Agree with OP.

I miss the trinity. And since there is no PVE content for guilds I have haven't been sociable, despite being a member of three. They just feel like private chat channels.

Roll on TESO.

Played - WoW, LotRO, AoC, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWtOR.

Playing - GW2

Want - TESO, Neverwinter, Titan

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Kaleston

Also sorry, but comparing druid and mage and than warrior and guardian... that's pretty one sided isn't it? Go to wow and compare mage and oomkin druid - very different playstyle, isn't it?

Actually; yes, yes it is. The two classes are very unrelated in terms of playstyle, especially in PVP and of course given that the players are skilled.

Watching 2 noobs duel mage vs. oomkin isn't very representative.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I thought you left a long time ago because the game was too hard, and you wanted the trinity back. So you needed to post about it again?  How many more threads are you planning on putting out on the same exact topic?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

So, did you even get to "endgame"? If lvl 60-80 zones are too difficult for you, dungeons are probably too difficult, too, so did you just play 1-60 zones and WvW?

If the zones seemed that difficult (they really aren't, I soloed through them just fine on both my Warrior and my Mesmer), it's likely you simply don't know how to play your class well, which is why Ranger and Thief could seem very similar, even though they aren't.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

More drama...

One thing GW2 did was bring back the drama threads, I havent seen this many since DAOC. That was another game people loved to hate.

Seriously, nobody cares and people will still buy the game if it has the features they want, nothing you say will change that.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    Since I've rolled guardian recently I can't stop playing.. =3 GW2 is the best mmo *for me* at the moment =p
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

*SNIP*

Well, I can relate to this somewhat even if I have some serious doubts you even played the game when you don't know that Warrior and GUARDIAN are the heavy armour professions in this game, but whatever.

I also found myself kiting mobs a lot, until I really started to learn my class that is. On veteran mobs, sure, there is some kiting involved. But standard mobs, if you're kiting those then you either pulled too many or you haven't been thinking about your stats and skills enough. On my staff ele, they only get to me when I miss a spell and on the ranged ones I use the shield spell from earth attunement and just let them bleed and burn to death. Don't just mash some buttons, think about how you're going to tackle a mob most effectively. On my warrior, it's really easy. I just destroy a bunch of your average mobs, greatsword (melee AoE FTW) and rifle. Engineer has enough turrets and other stuff to divert attention from himself, Ranger has pets you can switch out. Mesmer has illusions, Thief can spike damage like crazy, Guardian has über defenses and Necro has wraithform as a second life basically.

They all play very differently, unless you're not putting much thought into build and stats and just go for the "mindlessly mashing buttons approach". If you feel weak, then it's probably because you are weak, go for more balanced stats instead of a glass cannon approach.

Oh boy, have to disagree on this one completely. I've been LF tank, LF healer, for too long to go for Trinity again. I don't have the time to sit around anymore. I want to play, and I want to play now. Having me spam chat for an hour to get a group together and then 10 minutes in the tank has to go. I mean thanks, but no thanks. :-) 

Quite the contrary, "real" quests will have you kill 10 of these, kill those for 20 drop of that. With the heart quests you often have options on how you help the NPC, with your standard quests you don't. With events it all kinda depends of where you are in the world, but an escort event is just an escort event, not a lot better than an escort quest, but usually still better. It's true you're just filling a bar, but how is your standard quest better in any way than this system?

If the automatic grouping gets in your way, there is an option to party, but it's true that this system gives the players so much freedom that they can do whatever they feel like doing. If you prefer being led around by the hand, then you should look at that kind of game.

The stories are designed to be soloable. If you're not managing, then you're doing something wrong. Unless you got stuck on the Eye of Zaithan with the impossible amount of hitpoints (Source of Orr?). That stopped a lot of people, but when Anet saw this, they changed it (something like a month ago) to become managable solo.

More let down than by SWTOR? Well, I guess your love for Star Wars is coloring your judgement a lot then. SWTOR was an SPG with some MMO feature tacked on that were supposed to justify a sub. You could also claim GW2 plays like an SPG, then again what MMO is solo-unfriendly these days? But at least they're not charging a subscription in order for you to play the game you bought.

I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan too, but not that much that I just let them get away with everything (especially my money). The only class I really enjoyed there was Bounty Hunter. By the time I made a Sith force user, that managed to rack up Light Side points without it having any real influence on his pogression in the Empire, the whole Star Wars bubble had popped bigtime. Game over like bigtime. I can't bear to go back to it, even now it's F2P, I've seen too much of it already. I can't play it with my eyes closed and just listen to the sounds. Because the sounds are great, but I guess those came from LucasArts and probably weren't even made by BioWare.

imageimage
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion.  I am completely opposite of you when it comes to combat.  I could never go back to a 6 hotbar, unlimited use of skills/actions/spell like WoW, Rift or SWTOR.  I tried going back to WoW with a 10 day referal and it felt like I was playing some ancient system.  Seriously for me it was as bad as trying to go back to 2D or side scroll viewpoint, that is how archaic and old a tab target, stand there and trade blows, non-action game like WoW or Swtor feels compared to the action sequence of a GW2.

I normally appreciate all your postitives you dofor these forums Elikal but I cant help but feel this post deserves some severe criticisms for all the points already mentioned.  You're better then this sir!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Well obviously a game that never catered to your tastes in the first place is not gonna satisfy you... 

If I don't like cars, whywould I go to a car show and then complain that I didnt like it?

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    QFT. I agree with every thing. Im just happy this was a gift from a long time friend and I didnt buy it.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Great, now 'troll' has lost its meaning.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Guild Wars 2 was also the shortest time I ever spent playing any of the AAA mmos of the past years even though I dont consider it a AAA mmo.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by xKingdomx

Endgame: Because you can't finish the story, that makes it boring? In a game called Guild Wars, you decided to not join a guild?

It doesn't make a difference what a game was described as, sold as or who it was created for. If it isn't explicitly created specifically for them,  the posters here will call it "fail" and then dedicate inordinate amounts of time and effort to making sure others are staved away so as to protect them from these horrid abominations of nature.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    I like you Elikal, I really do, but it takes you so damn long to evaluate games, 6 weeks for GW2? Come on, it was an obvious "fail" right after a couple of hours. 

REALITY CHECK