Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What 3 games did you waste money on in 2012?

UnojcUnojc Member Posts: 29

For me it would be....

- BF3

- D3

- GW2

Again just my opinion with my playstyle.

Comments

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    battle vs chess .although i was luck enough to get refund :P on steam 
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

only 3?

how Bout

SWtor (dec 2011)

Tera

TSW lifetime sub

GW2

Diablo 3

Torchlight 2

Heroes of Might and Magic 6 (cause I was bored)

Ill eventually add Storm Legion to this list I am sure, but having fun currently

• UnojcUnojc Member Posts: 29
    Well I wish I had only done the monthly with TSW instead of lifetime.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

If by "waste" you mean games purchased but don't enjoy, then there have been several for me.

Diablo 3 - I purchased Diablo 3 a few weeks after release. I was up late one night and a friend convinced me to get it. So I buy it, finish the download, then as soon as I get into game and roll a character, my power goes out. For almost a week (a storm with a combination of living in BFE). Seeing as how Diablo 3 is blatantly cursed, I called Blizzard support and got a refund (so I suppose it was only temporarily wasted).

WoW Mists of Pandaria - No clue what I was thinking here. Random spur of the moment purchase. Perhaps I'm just longing for the days when I really enjoyed my time with WoW. Purchased a month with it as well, and rolled two toons, got one to 12ish and finished the pandarian starting zone. Never touched it since.

Guild Wars 2 - It's just not my cup of tea. I put ~80 hours into it (far less than I hoped/expected to) and I have no urge to play anymore. I suppose the only saving grace here is that if anything ever does get added to the game that I may enjoy I can just install it again and play.

The Secret World - This is a toughy, because there was a fair bit I liked about it (setting, questing/story, ability wheel, etc), but I didn't play past the first month. The combat felt fairly drab, I played solo (my fault I suppose) which probably wasn't the best idea, and there are several systems I like in MMO's that TSW doesn't have.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

D3

I feel as though I got my money's worth out of the few other games I purchased this year (GW2, TSW, TERA). Diablo 3, however, is a steaming turd of a game.

Joined - July 2004

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    I've bought a ton of games this year (not all released this year), but I don't feel like I've "wasted" my money on any of them. I have yet to feel like I got my monies worth out of GW2, but I may revisit it and see.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225
    None really. GW2 I enjoyed for around 100ish hours, got max level, worth the 60 bucks. The time I spent in SWTOR was entertaining enough, I played through the Jedi Knight and Imperial Agent story, enjoyed it, canceled account, worth the 30 bucks(won a free copy). Diablo 3....eh I still got a decent amount of gameplay in, so again worth the money. I went with the year sub with WoW along with it and enjoyed it for about...5 months maybe? So I guess theres a waste in money. All in all, if I enjoyed a game for a sufficent amount of time, I don't consider it a waste. A waste is something like Too Human, I played about 2 hours, and after the stupid long death/respawn, and a rather boring game I quit.  So yup, no wasted games in 2012 for me.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

star wars

tera

gw2

all a waste of my money but a lesson learned.

im done with thempark garbage.

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185

Honestly the only one I can say I don't play anymore is Guild Wars 2.

I won't go into detail but it wasn't what I thought it would be.

I still play Diablo 3 so I wouldn't call is a waste.

I am now thinking of getting Panda Land for WoW since it's 20 bucks... but I know from my past experience it won't worth it.

Everything else I have been trying for at least a week before I decide, and well those f2p models are just garbage.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Lets see...

GW2 (population died so much, my entire guild just stopped logging on and my server is dead...thought the game was good though)

And...

That is it actually. Really wish I spent that 60 dollars on kickstarters or other games.

All my other games were either given to me, I won in a giveaway, or I had no regrets buying. I actually have very few games I bought this year. There really wasn't much I was interested in. The only next major release is Far Cry 3, but I can't afford it.

I bought 4 or 5 games in total this year. I bought Unreal World (3 dollars), a WoW month (recently, 15 dollars)...umm kickstarted Starforge (15 dollars)...guess only 3. No I bought Towns too...very fun as well. And I guess Arma 2, but that was mostly for DayZ

2 came for doing a survey for GOG

2 came for a free gift on GoG

got Don't Starve (steam) for free on another forum, I was trading something for it, dude didn't want it and gave the game to me anyway

friend gifted me Civ V expansion (I bought Civ bundle back in Christmas sales for incredibly cheap)

Kind of a small selection compared to last year (Skyrim was my favorite, still play it)...but I bought so much during Steam's sales back in 2011...probably the same again in 2012. I tend to only buy games on sale, save a lot of money.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

TSW - combat got old and the enemies got boring

Tera - wasn't realy able to find a class I liked, will say the it was the smoothest running game on max settings I've ever played on my 7 year old rig.

D3 - lazy game with lazy animations that kept my attention only enough to complete its short campaign.  Loved the cutscene though

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Until I saw this thread I didn't even realize the sad truth: I only purchased one damned game this year; DayZ (Arma 2). It was most definitely not a waste. But, sad nonetheless, as I typically pick up way more titles per year.

If DF:UW doesn't work out for me (very doubtful), I might have to accept the fact that I have another gaming hiatus, much like the one I took in the late '90s, right in front of my face.

I'll have to be careful though, I foolishly missed out on some beauts the last time I went "dark". I will not allow lightning to strike twice.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

Tera

this is probably the most beautiful game I have  played graphically but the game was/is a quest hub wow clone. Great engine terrible gameplay design.

Swtor

Highly enjoyable single player game advertised as an mmo. Hilariously silly engine problems.

GW2

i honestly thought it would give me more than a month. It did not, now theres a gear grind in place so I wont be back. great engine good game design. Not designed to be a primary mmo so I don't feel too ripped off on that one. I savored the trip to max level on this one too didn't rush at all.  

Each one of these games took years to make sweat and long hours and I tossed them inside of a month. I just need to stay away from mmos that are targeting the mcdonalds gamer. Got some great prospects coming tho NeverWinter Archage Repop Black Desert. DFUW

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Diablo 3: Leveling was alright. Didnt have the hug maps like D2 did which was a bummer but endgame was really bad. It was farming rare packs over and over again. And if you werent a barb or monk you would get oneshotted. 

MoP: Cant believe i let my friend talk me into buying this. Did recruit a friend and got a monk to 87 before i realized it was the same ol shit all over again. My friend who still plays tells me he logs in does his dailies, heroics and RF if he has to then log outs. Its still a glorified lobby game.

SWTOR: Even tho its a dec 2011 release its close enough for me to put it on this list. I bought the CE and i actually loved the CE but not the game. Leveling was fun because of the story. I would have preferred non mirror classes and less linear questing but it was alright. But the nail in the coffin was the endgame. I was one of the first snipers on my server so i got to see a lot of it due to my high dps. After the amazing story you either grinded huttball, heroics, or did the buggy ass raids. Swtor is truly the epitome of an mmo failure.

Tera: While i loved the graphics and combat the grindy linear quests really threw me off plus the over the top asian look to the races. The Elin were extremely weird and it threw me off.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

3?

I only bought 1 where I didnt get my moneys worth thoguh....

And thats Cubemen.  Then again it was only like 5-10 dollars

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

A Game of Dwarves: Horrible. Just horrible. Bland and confusing graphics, terrible AI, and cheap mechanics.

Torchlight 2: Incredible disappointment. Game is boring, classes uninspired, skills are dull, enemies are repetitive, illusion of choice, no respecs, lack of closed online (leading to rampant cheating), and framerates dropping to nigh unplayable levels during big fights all added up to make one steaming pile of crap. Glad it was only $20. Original was much better.

The Secret World: Wanted to love it, but the faults were just too much for me to bear. Insane amount of bugged quests, so-so animations, finicky performance, some of the most repetitive combat ever, badly designed skills / trees, lots of grinding. I wish it the best for its ideas & innovations, but I just can't bear to play it.

Honorable mentions go to GW2 and MWO. MWO doesn't really count though since I got a refund (props to Pirahna for that, TBH).

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    GW2.  The only game I bought this year that I really thought was a major disappointment and waste of money.  Played for a couple weeks, and just couldn't stand to log on again.  Just a soulless game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Just two...

Swtor

and D3

highly regret both.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't really have any.  Closest for me would be AOC F2P.  Still for Tortage alone it was worth the expense.  Some excellent storyline PVE.  After that, just got bored I guess.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129

TSW

GW2

SWTOR

I really want to like TSW, but there's just not enough people playing.

SWTOR was fun leveling my first character to 50.  After that it blew goats.

GW2 was a complete waste of time and money.  Of the three, this is the only one in which I really want my money back.

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115

D3 - Due to the fact that I paid quite a lot of money for it at the time and bought it for the sake of hoping it would be good.

SWTOR - Similar situation, paid too much for it, had fun for a bit but that was 2 weeks of gameplay until I got bored.

Even though I stopped playing Guild Wars 2, I put a decent amount of hours into it and know I can play it whenever I want to and probably will. But it is close to becoming 3rd place for me.

• VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72

D3 - RMAH with a game attached.

Dark Souls prepare to die edition - horrid pc port - its prob a great game once I pony up the money for a 360 controller for the pc , until then ill ignore it on my hard drive.

GW2 - not as advertised - got a refund- still doesnt make up for the lost time I invested.  I will go back to Aion and Allods - both free to play and both in better playability shape than this antisocial zergfest.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

Torchlight 2 - Almost as shallow as TL1.

GW2 - borderline.  I'll eventually get my moneys worth

SWTOR was 2011 - but it was a HUGE waste of money

D3 is actually a good buy for me at this point.  Recent patches made it much more playable for me.

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

There is only Two games that I bought this year that I feel I have totally wasted money on:

The Secret World

Medal of Honor: Warfighter 

... I am so ashamed ... (I really liked the MoH:2010 reboot though so I though I was doing the right thing by me) ..  */kicks self in face/*