Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Luv for the healers?

LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294

I as a hardcore support/heal player am very disappointed with the trend MMOs go these days. Everyone can heal a bit and it is all about DPSing. I give a ***** shit about DPSING, i want to heal a real tank and my group. I want oldschool Health and Manabars and nothing else.

Stop the experiments! Go hardcore and oldschool DEVS!

EQ1: Cleric

EQ2: Templar

WOW: Heal Pala

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    But it was so mindnumbingly boring! And its been done to death.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Quirhid

look at the games she played, healing in those games was anythinb but boring, especially not raids

the only thing I don't know about is WoW, but in EQ1 as a healer you were carried on rosepedals, people loved a good cleric

clerics were also the best powerlevers because of their reverse damage shield

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i like healing.  but until they make it so it's not just staring at the ui boxes covering my screen i can do without it.  i think developers are slowly going towards something more engaging.  until they get there i'll be happy to let others heal themselves.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Here in SWTOR we absolutely adore healersimage

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Ran heals in FFXI for a few years, loved it. Being able to keep everyone alive in your group during big fights is an accomplishment to be proud of! ;)
  • BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

The problem was, healers were pretty much required in any game that had them. So the healers had a monopoly on parties and had the power to say I don't like X player, kick them or I leave. As a healer in those games, you probably didn't see any wait time for parties, but every other class had a 30 minute or more wait for a healer to appear in that last spot in the party.

Give Wizardry Online a look. It has what you're asking for.

• zephyr88zephyr88 Member Posts: 9

totally agree with main post. ive always been a hardcore healer and always will be but sadly im jumping from game to game these days looking to find that type of fun and challenge i used to have in eq and wow back in the days. 

i won't give up looking thats for sure but honestly im really disappointed by new games,the only one im looking forward to is FFXIV reborn.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Don't play a healer then. There are those that feel DPS classes or tanking are mindnumbingly boring.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

Don't play a healer then. There are those that feel DPS classes or tanking are mindnumbingly boring.

That's like treating a symptom not the disease. I'd much rather skip games with arcaic tank 'n' spank combat altogether.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

I hate healers, they take away of the experience, make the fights less dramatic and are a requirement in any game they are in.

If heals were optional i wouldnt mind but they are not. Im not a fan of DPS clases either, standing still spaming a skill for damage is as idiotic as standing still spaming a heal. I like tanks, buffers, debuffers, spikers, and everything in between.

I do however appretiate healing skills in game where theres no real healer role, makes the ability to close wounds magically and cure diseases less mundane and gives it an strategic value.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I have no respect for the healer class,  or the tank class. Individual people might do great in the role, but I've watched too many tanks blaming the healers, or the healers blaming the tanks and then people start dropping group...    

I don't like the idea of depending on anybody in a PUG, so defined roles like that just don't suit my preference anymore.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

You sound like one of those people who was forced to heal for the good of the guild but really didn't like it.  IMO, a healer in a raid situation should been as busy doing his job as the tank and dpsers are at theirs.  They shouldn't have time for DPS.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I used to love playing healers but recently, Ive been liking it less and less.  I think that healers should be removed in combat situations or at least replace heals with buffs and leave the hp topping heals for out of combat.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

That's like treating a symptom not the disease. I'd much rather skip games with arcaic tank 'n' spank combat altogether.

The trinity isn't archaic, just an alternative. UO did the no trinity thing way before GW2. 

On topic - I'm not one to play healers, but FFXI I make an exception. Dancer let's me stay up front and DPS while spending my TP (rage as known in most games) to heal and support. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    The problem is that the percentage of group spots that needed to be filled by healers tended to greatly exceed the percentage of players who were healers.  That worked out pretty well for healers:  if you wanted a group, there were people looking for you.  But it didn't work out so well for everyone else, who had to spend much of his grouping time searching for a healer.  Making grouping into a nuisance for a large majority of your playerbase is not good game design unless you want players to spend most of their time soloing.
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Although I have done a lot of time as a raid healer my favorite time was in WOW during BC. I was an Alliance druid healer in Alterac Valley. PVP healing was SO different from raid healing. I loved keeping my team alive while dodging all over the place. I must have played 3-4 hours a day and 12 hours a day on weekends and holidays.  We certainly did not win all the time but, win or lose, I had a blast.

But the OP is correct - nobody wants healers anymore - especially in pvp. Every mmo wants to be an action game now and there is no room for healers in those. Sigh.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354
    Come to Planetside 2, we love our medics there!

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    I'll pass. Playing the staring game with health bars doesn't get my rocks off. Not to say healing is bad, but yeah...
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I think, If a game has a strait foward class system, as apposed to no class system or archetype building/cross classing....Then it shouldn't try to not blur the lines by giving the tanky warrior, or squishy mage what belongs to the realm of the cleric. It's counter-intuitive to the point of having different roles (which is needing to work together).

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Dissing the traditional tank and spank is all the rage today. All the cool kids hate it. The trinity system has been around for a long time since it replaced the "quad" when a specialized CC'er/buffer was also required. It must be time for a change right? "New" is better don'tyaknow.

The problem is that no one has really come up with a viable replacement for the trinity yet. Sure a lot have tried with more or less success. The best of those I have played so far being GW2. But even GW2 with everyone having the ability (more or less... "tanky" and "healy" builds do exist) to tank, heal and DPS has its problems.

A lot of the tougher fights in GW2 with champs, world bosses and in dungeons boils down to a risky game of aggro-pong with no class being able to withstand the full undivided attention of a tough mob for more than a few seconds... some better than others but even the heavy-armored classes will eventually have to start kiting the champion mob around like scared little girls while a train follows them both beating at it with mostly low damage abilities. GW2 jack-of-all-trades, AOE-happy classes excel at dealing with hordes of weak mobs but they sort of fall appart in the really tough boss encounters... and people die... a lot. Combat rezzing is a must so everyone has it. They've even spent soem extra time programming a "nearly dead" down state to make the whole self or other "rezzing" thing more fun... might as well since it's a big part of the game.

Other games like Rift with multiple specs and even WOW with its dual specs maintain the trinity but they give you multiple specs so that each class can do at least 2 of the 3 roles. This pressumably helps with forming groups, but in actual practice most will just play their favorite role anyway. The secret world goes that one better by making everyone able to be any of the 3 with their classless skill wheel... no hiding on that one. But I still hear a lot of excuses there about being good at just one of the roles.

So yeah you healers wiling to step-up, take responsibility and put up with all the finger pointing... until someone comes up with a much better system where you're really not needed you have my respect.

/salute.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Iselin

Dissing the traditional tank and spank is all the rage today. All the cool kids hate it. The trinity system has been around for a long time since it replaced the "quad" when a specialized CC'er/buffer was also required. It must be time for a change right? "New" is better don'tyaknow.

The problem is that no one has really come up with a viable replacement for the trinity yet. Sure a lot have tried with more or less success. The best of those I have played so far being GW2. But even GW2 with everyone having the ability (more or less... "tanky" and "healy" builds do exist) to tank, heal and DPS has its problems.

A lot of the tougher fights in GW2 with champs, world bosses and in dungeons boils down to a risky game of aggro-pong with no class being able to withstand the full undivided attention of a tough mob for more than a few seconds... some better than others but even the heavy-armored classes will eventually have to start kiting the champion mob around like scared little girls while a train follows them both beating at it with mostly low damage abilities. GW2 jack-of-all-trades, AOE-happy classes excel at dealing with hordes of weak mobs but they sort of fall appart in the really tough boss encounters... and people die... a lot. Combat rezzing is a must so everyone has it. They've even spent soem extra time programming a "nearly dead" down state to make the whole self or other "rezzing" thing more fun... might as well since it's a big part of the game.

Other games like Rift with multiple specs and even WOW with its dual specs maintain the trinity but they give you multiple specs so that each class can do at least 2 of the 3 roles. This pressumably helps with forming groups, but in actual practice most will just play their favorite role anyway. The secret world goes that one better by making everyone able to be any of the 3 with their classless skill wheel... no hiding on that one. But I still hear a lot of excuses there about being good at just one of the roles.

So yeah you healers wiling to step-up, take responsibility and put up with all the finger pointing... until someone comes up with a much better system where you're really not needed you have my respect.

/salute.

I think you miss the point.. classless roles are there for a reason... its more "realistic" no medical technician has the ability in real life or fantasy  to make someone completely healthy in like ten seconds while in combat... combat is boring and requires little movement or maneuvering.. in real life thats not the case... gw2 and other games are more realistic... therefore a healer is not necessary.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

Snip

Age of Wushu is handling it really well.

And its actually quite simple, you make players a lot tougher, you make some of the damage they take and deal incurable, and you make them being able to get out of the fight without taking damage too much damage, or being able to recover if they go in the defensive.

You fuck up, youll probably die, you dont, youll probably live. You have player characters have certain sinergies, you dont force them to work together, you reward them for doing so, and the better they work together the smoother it will all be.

you make players need eachother outside of combat  as well, and you make them grow outside of combat. when all you do is fight it stops being special. crafting is as good a mean as any to achieve that.

Swotor almost did it right. Had it only given everyone a single crew skill, global for your account, it would have stimulated interaction a great deal.

Im not saying "get rid of the trinity", just saying, a lot of games would benefit from not having it. Simply because people need diferent flavors. so you dont feel like you are playing the same game with different graphic style.

Variety is good.

Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    I think you miss the point.. classless roles are there for a reason... its more "realistic" no medical technician has the ability in real life or fantasy  to make someone completely healthy in like ten seconds while in combat... combat is boring and requires little movement or maneuvering.. in real life thats not the case... gw2 and other games are more realistic... therefore a healer is not necessary.

Realism is it? Ok, let's have amputees and dead is dead... and no fireballs coming out your fingers either... scratch magic... and super stealth in well-lit open places... forget assassins (no great loss there :) ) realism is a slippery slope. Let's talk gameplay and game systems not realism please.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

Realism is it? Ok, let's have amputees and dead is dead... and no fireballs coming out your fingers either... scratch magic... and super stealth in well-lit open places... forget assassins (no great loss there :) ) realism is a slippery slope. Let's talk gameplay and game systems not realism please.

if it fits within the lore its real.... if you can show me an ip with instant perfect health than it is viable.

edit: gameplay and systems were included.. i mentioned the lack of a healer and the lack of the trinity system was insinuated.

Originally posted by LhynnSaint

Snip

Age of Wushu is handling it really well.

And its actually quite simple, you make players a lot tougher, you make some of the damage they take and deal incurable, and you make them being able to get out of the fight without taking damage too much damage, or being able to recover if they go in the defensive.

You fuck up, youll probably die, you dont, youll probably live. You have player characters have certain sinergies, you dont force them to work together, you reward them for doing so, and the better they work together the smoother it will all be.

you make players need eachother outside of combat  as well, and you make them grow outside of combat. when all you do is fight it stops being special. crafting is as good a mean as any to achieve that.

Swotor almost did it right. Had it only given everyone a single crew skill, global for your account, it would have stimulated interaction a great deal.

Im not saying "get rid of the trinity", just saying, a lot of games would benefit from not having it. Simply because people need diferent flavors. so you dont feel like you are playing the same game with different graphic style.

Variety is good.

Ok. I don't know Wushu. I'm sure it can be done better than GW2's attempt. And yes, SWTOR gave it the old college try. Ironic how the best flashpoint was the first one before anyone was specialized :) 

Variety is indeed good but change just for the sake of change or worse, for marketting purposes, ain't so good.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED