Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The amount of people who settle for Instanced PvP Trash simply amazes me.

1121314151618»

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Oh don't be stupid, you all know what ganking means. Like it was ever unclear. [mod edit]

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Oh don't be stupid, you all know what ganking means. Like it was ever unclear. [mod edit]

Who's being stupid? No need to be offensive.

Like every term used on this site, people have a hundred different definitions. People can't even agree on what is a sandbox or theme park. Hell, people are having a tough time agreeing on what an MMORPG is. So let's hear it, Quirhid. What's your definition of "ganking".

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

ganking =anytime a group of people kill you solo or your small group. To kill without mercy. High level killing low level players thoughout the world.

Which in any case an instanced pvp zone with teams does allow room for ganking. How many times have you joined a warzone or raid and some of your team drop out, or you join mid-game and you join the smaller team? Or even having all max level on one side and your team is outgunned? Think the last warzone i played in SWTOR it was 12 vs 5(6 maybe).

Ganking in instanced pvp is very doable.

• VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

When did players start to accept the fact that it's okay for PvP to be completely instanced?

EverQuest II's 2006 Nagafen Server was a World PvP Server. It worked.

SWG's PvP was World PvP. It worked.

Ever since WoW, PvP has become pure trash. And to make matters worse, "World PvP" has become such a loose term that anything that isn't completely structured  is considered World PvP, e.g., SWTOR's Ilum - a dedicated area for PvP. This isn't World PvP. It's trash.

Servers should go like this:

Server #1 PvE (Optional Battlegrounds)

Server #2 PvP (World PvP)

I'll tell you why people waste time in these redundant battlegrounds. It's because they are so helpless and consumed with the damn carrot dangling in front of their faces. You want that little piece of reward that everyone will eventually have. It's boring. It's an embarrassment to the genre.

I don't want to see anyone fail. However, it would be a lie to not say I enjoy watching these Instanced PvP games turn into failed FTP games.

Don't care for PvP so not everyone is a carbon copy of you sir. That's not to say I would be opposed to open world PvP with a few ground rules in place to keep the gankfest away. Pick on someone your own size - meaning you can't begin a PvP with someone 3 or more levels below you .... but hey you can start one up with anyone at  or above your level Tarzan.  Anyone pulled into a PvP not wanting the battle may "submit" at no penalty. The submitting acct may not be challenged by that aggressor's acct for 24 hrs. Go away and stay away.

Under those rules I would be able to let my PvE game co-exist with your PvP mentality. 

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Onomas

ganking =anytime a group of people kill you solo or your small group. To kill without mercy. High level killing low level players thoughout the world.

Which in any case an instanced pvp zone with teams does allow room for ganking. How many times have you joined a warzone or raid and some of your team drop out, or you join mid-game and you join the smaller team? Or even having all max level on one side and your team is outgunned? Think the last warzone i played in SWTOR it was 12 vs 5(6 maybe).

In instanced pvp you are at most 9 lvls higher/lower so the high level thing is out.  In instanced pvp the teams are the same size so the solo/gropu thing is out.

So no I don't think it's very doable.  People can certainly leave, but it starts out the same, and more people can come in.

edit - I've never joined a team that was smaller at the start or more than 1 or 2 people smaller during the actual event.  I have had people drop out but they are replaced usually in seconds.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Onomas

Let's talk about  preferences instead of what define "ganking". If i go into an instanced pvp, i am fully prepare to face someone try or succeed in kiling me.

What is wrong with NOT wanting to face that possibility when i am doing pve. That is my choice. And when i like to play like that, i join a pve game and turn off my pve flag.

Very simple.

Now if you have a owpvp game, i don't have that playstyle option. And if i don't want my pve to be interrupt by pvp, i have to find a game without owpvp, right? Very logical.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Typically in tupperware pvp games like wow or rift you get guys in "phat epic" picking on "noobs in greens"

Give me daoc style pvp in a themepark mmo any day, where you at least loose to who organised their forces best and has the best morale rather than some basement dweller who can grind 16 hours a day.

Eve style for a sandbox
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Typically in tupperware pvp games like wow or rift you get guys in "phat epic" picking on "noobs in greens"

Give me daoc style pvp in a themepark mmo any day, where you at least loose to who organised their forces best and has the best morale rather than some basement dweller who can grind 16 hours a day.

Eve style for a sandbox

you have no clue how instanced pvp works.

Do you know that WOW arena (and many other matching games like LOL) use a ELO (if you don't know what it is, look it up) ranking and matching system.

If you are a high ranking player in "phat epic", you don't get to play with "noobs in greens".

E-sports, and the algorithm to match the right opponents is not a new thing you know. Chess has done it for decades (where the ELO system was first used), and most professional sports do too.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Most of the problems come from the mind set in OPvP games of "This game has PvP so I MUST kill everyone" where I think most people see it as "If I have a reason to kill someone I will, but a level 1 noob isn;t worth engaging with because ther is no skill involved in winning". For me personally the reason I participate in more structured PvP is simply because I PvP as a contest of skill and if there is such an imbalance, either way, then I don't find it interesting. A tough fight where 2 equal sides meet and the winner is because they are better PvP'ers is more interesting to me then a game where a level 80 attacks my as a level 1, I have no chance and usually just let them kill me and get on with things. A personal opinion but I don't get the mentality some people have who like to kill noobs "Because it is PvP". IMO killing a noob ISN'T PvP, that is why I usually don't play such games unless it has been designed well....and not many games are.

Should read:

Most of the problems come from the mind set in OPvP games of "This game has PvP so I am gonna kill everyone because I can....Muwahahahaha!! "  where I think possibly, maybe a few people, not really sure, maybe none at all, see it as "If I have a reason to kill someone I will. "  

I mean lets be real here....  

It might even be something as simple as 98% of the population will only kill someone if they have a good reason, and 2% will kill everything.  But that 2% will do it 90% of the time and to lower level players.

Therefore while most don't do it, it still happens frequently.

Yes I quite agree with you here.  These idiots know they will get all the attention, that is obviously why they do it. 

Problem is, in open PVP it is really hard to ban or discipline these players because then it is a slippery slope as to what is acceptable and what is not.   Everyone has a different opinion on that.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Originally posted by Boneserino

Yes I quite agree with you here.  These idiots know they will get all the attention, that is obviously why they do it. 

Problem is, in open PVP it is really hard to ban or discipline these players because then it is a slippery slope as to what is acceptable and what is not.   Everyone has a different opinion on that.

That is why usually the simplest solution is not to have OWpvp. And only have consensual pvp.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

That is why usually the simplest solution is not to have OWpvp. And only have consensual pvp.

That is a terrible idea.

What they need to do is completely remove all forms of PvP Rewards. If this was done, nobody would want to play redundant BGs. Nobody would want to constantly gank greens and greens for PvP XP.

Originally posted by mnwild1998

That is a terrible idea.

What they need to do is completely remove all forms of PvP Rewards. If this was done, nobody would want to play redundant BGs. Nobody would want to constantly gank greens and greens for PvP XP.

You seem to have all the answers. why don't you just go make an awesome MMO yourself?

He just can't accept that fact that many likes instanced pvp, and owpvp is not popular.

Well, he can say whatever he wants ... it is pretty clear how popular owpvp is. In fact, aside from pvp-centric game like PS2, most pve game have servers with no owpvp at all.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

Any mmo wishing to have epic levels of success should have FFA servers, open world faction based PvP servers, and PVE servers. It should also offer instanced PvP and structured PvP matches.

However, it's good to have different types of games in the genre. Let the carebears have their WoW, let the hardcore PvP folks have their world FFA games, and let the competitive types have their instanced PvP. 

I think a FFA/Sandbox style game is the best as it offers all the options above, it's just player driven. It's also the most realistic, as real life is technically open world FFA PVP. Just because you can kill people doesn't mean you have to.

Originally posted by wordiz

Any mmo wishing to have epic levels of success should have FFA servers, open world faction based PvP servers, and PVE servers. It should also offer instanced PvP and structured PvP matches.

WOW has epic level of success. It has no FFA servers. So FFA servers are not required. It does have all the other ones.

However, it's good to have different types of games in the genre. Let the carebears have their WoW, let the hardcore PvP folks have their world FFA games, and let the competitive types have their instanced PvP. 

No disagreement. I see the market as more and more fragmented. The small group pve progression players have Diablo type games. The e-sport people have LOL. And we also have open world pvp like PS2. However, not each segement has the same level of success and market size.

I think a FFA/Sandbox style game is the best as it offers all the options above, it's just player driven. It's also the most realistic, as real life is technically open world FFA PVP. Just because you can kill people doesn't mean you have to.

"realistic" is not necessarily fun. LOL is highly "unrealistic" but it has more active players than WOW, which is also highly realistic.

Personaly i do not use realism as a criterion to rate my games. In fact, many times it got in the way of having fun (like have to wait for boat rides). So no .... unrealistic is ok.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

When did players start to accept the fact that it's okay for PvP to be completely instanced?

EverQuest II's 2006 Nagafen Server was a World PvP Server. It worked.

SWG's PvP was World PvP. It worked.

Ever since WoW, PvP has become pure trash. And to make matters worse, "World PvP" has become such a loose term that anything that isn't completely structured  is considered World PvP, e.g., SWTOR's Ilum - a dedicated area for PvP. This isn't World PvP. It's trash.

Servers should go like this:

Server #1 PvE (Optional Battlegrounds)

Server #2 PvP (World PvP)

I'll tell you why people waste time in these redundant battlegrounds. It's because they are so helpless and consumed with the damn carrot dangling in front of their faces. You want that little piece of reward that everyone will eventually have. It's boring. It's an embarrassment to the genre.

I don't want to see anyone fail. However, it would be a lie to not say I enjoy watching these Instanced PvP games turn into failed FTP games.

Yeah, instanced PVP is trash.

Originally posted by Interesting

Yeah, instanced PVP is trash.

And yet, an instanced pvp MOBA is more popular than every single MMO on earth, including WOW.

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

"The Amount of people who settle for Instanced PvP Trash simply amazes me".

Hey there, buddy.   Ever heard of a game called Call of Duty?   Howabout League of Legends?     The two most popular games in the world, and the main reason people play either of them is for.....guess what.....small scale, instanced, team PvP.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by wordiz

It all comes down to one thing - BALANCE. Having all 3 guarrantees no balance for any of the types of gameplay. The game closest to the best balance is GW2 (in my opinion) anf people still whine about OP professions.

If you have a game setup the way you want - no one will play because there will be at least one profession that is OP in each game play type and it won't be the same profession for each one.

You either get PvP or PvE or PvE/instanced PvP pick one of the types.