Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is the Proof that Bioware is listening the players

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by Karteli

I also agree with you that crafting in SWTOR is a useless experience.  It may as well not exist.  Biochem has it's uses, but the others are without purpose.  Spend time and money to make inferior gear....

Crafting is far from useless. Each craft that doesn't make consumables has there own augments to make to be sold so players can use the same modifiable gear as long as they want. You don't get those rewards from quests (at least all you need) and they don't sell the best that crafters could make from NPC's. They have more than the typical themepark game anyways.

Everything crafted is substandard though, isn't it?

No. The best augments for leveling gear is obtained by reverse engineering the standard crafting stuff. No offense, but your spouting out stuff that you don't know of.

This explains it:

http://www.lonestranger.net/swtor/re/SWTOR_RE_GUIDE.png

It's slightly out of date but still shows the basis.

A cool chart!

BTW, I knew what I said, when I said it.  I was not talking about leveling gear, NOR did I even mention leveling gear.

I was talking about end-game stuff, since the vast majority of time spent in SWTOR (or any themepark MMORPG) is at end-game.. or at least for the people who stick around / stuck around.

So I guess I need to clarify each time I mention the uselessness of crafting :P ... crafting is a useless experience at end-game, because the rewards are inferior.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

I also agree with you that crafting in SWTOR is a useless experience.  It may as well not exist.  Biochem has it's uses, but the others are without purpose.  Spend time and money to make inferior gear....

Crafting is far from useless. Each craft that doesn't make consumables has there own augments to make to be sold so players can use the same modifiable gear as long as they want. You don't get those rewards from quests (at least all you need) and they don't sell the best that crafters could make from NPC's. They have more than the typical themepark game anyways.

No. The best augments for leveling gear is obtained by reverse engineering the standard crafting stuff. No offense, but your spouting out stuff that you don't know of.

This explains it:

A cool chart!

BTW, I knew what I said, when I said it.  I was not talking about leveling gear, NOR did I even mention leveling gear.

I was talking about end-game stuff, since the vast majority of time spent in SWTOR (or any themepark MMORPG) is at end-game.. or at least for the people who stick around / stuck around.

So I guess I need to clarify each time I mention the uselessness of crafting :P ... crafting is a useless experience at end-game, because the rewards are inferior.

Aaaaahhh, my mistake. I guess I should've clarified I was talking of leveling gear when you said everything's inferior after I mentioned quests which made it clear I was talking of leveling, no? 

You call it clarifying, I call it backtracking. At least that's how I see it.

Besides, the first tier of endgame has a few modable slots and an augment slot - though the higher up ones only have an augment. It even has a slight use at endgame and high level PVP.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I have thought about it. IF Bioware / EA was serious rather than angrily defensive when they claimed that listening to the fans made them put together SWTOR in the way they did... THEN I DON"T WANT THEM LISTENING TO THE FANS.

I'd rather they did what they wanted to make a good game and everyone else can take it or leave it because the end result would still be better than the mess that exists now.

PS: I meant this for the news thread originally and accidentally put it here too.

This explains it:

A cool chart!

Aaaaahhh, my mistake. I guess I should've clarified I was talking of leveling gear when you said everything's inferior after I mentioned quests which made it clear I was talking of leveling, no? You call it clarifying, I call it backtracking. At least that's how I see it.

I suppose so.  Although if game markets are predominantly focused on leveling gear and not end-game gear, that says something about game retention .. or at least where the bulk of players reside.  More players have never hit the level cap than those who hit the level cap.  The "F2P" throws this off too, since now a bunch of players are in those lower levels.  It's still a cruddy crafting system though.

What would be neat is if a player could take older items and farm like hell to make a better item.  Maybe make a Party Jawa have double the time duration if a specific crew skill combined an incredible amount of harvestable mats.  Or even better make the Party Jawa have an unlimited time if the original owner combines it with an incredible amount or rare mats.  Stuff like that.  It could be repeated with other non-combat items to "make them better!".

As it stands though, end-game-crafting is useless in SWTOR.  It's boring, and the new items are just a stat increase over the past set.  The max set is inferior to what any max level character would want to wear.  If I were to mention WoW, I might mention that they had craftable items which had unique effects, only obtainable via crafting :P

Originally posted by mnwild1998

As it stands though, end-game-crafting is fucking useless in SWTOR. The max set is inferior to what any max level character would want to wear.  If I were to mention WoW, I might mention that they had craftable items which had unique effects, only obtainable via crafting :P

No, it's not. Read my post above I edited. You obviously didn't make it to endgame and speaking from what you heard as your required to buy high tier augments and mods to fill in your endgame gear that you get from OP's.

WoW's crafting is different. You only craft items, not mods and augments, there. Crafted gear is subpar for endgame-acquired gear in SWTOR, yes. But augments and mods that are crafted still have there place. Two completely different things.

He clearly has not played anywhere near end game.  I would dare him to run Lost Island (flashpoint) or hard mode/nightmare ops without using crafted stims. 

Great correlation, .. because playing a flashpoint is just like crafting. /fail

As it stands though, end-game-crafting is fucking useless in SWTOR. The max set is inferior to what any max level character would want to wear.  If I were to mention WoW, I might mention that they had craftable items which had unique effects, only obtainable via crafting :P

No, it's not. Read my post above I edited. You obviously didn't make it to endgame and speaking from what you heard as your required to buy high tier augments and mods to fill in your endgame gear that you get from OP's.

WoW's crafting is different. You only craft items, not mods and augments, there. Crafted gear is subpar for endgame-acquired gear in SWTOR, yes. But augments and mods that are crafted still have there place. Two completely different things.

He clearly has not played anywhere near end game.  I would dare him to run Lost Island (flashpoint) or hard mode/nightmare ops without using crafted stims. 

Great dodging the point. /fail. He was explaining that even the crew skills that don't make augments have there place in endgame - the crafted stims that buff stats are pretty much a requirement.

I'm done here, it's becoming clear Karteli doesn't know what he's talking about and still tries to diss that element of the game. That's what I call a hater.

Great dodging the point. /fail

I'm done here, it's becoming clear Karteli doesn't know what they're talking about and still tries to diss that element of the game. That's what I call a hater.

I made my points.  If you would like to defend the previous poster further, perhaps you can elaborate on how flashpoints relate to crafting?  Or how dismissing a topic on flashpoints is dodging a discussion on crafting?

Hater? /sigh .. well good night then.

EDIT: since you continually edit your posts:  Yes BioChem is very useful to playing SWTOR.  That's the only crew skill that has a use?

I'm done here, it's becoming clear Karteli doesn't know what they're talking about and still tries to diss that element of the game. That's what I call a hater.

I made my points.  If you would like to defend the previous poster further, perhaps you can elaborate on how flashpoints relate to crafting?  Or how dismissing a topic on flashpoints is dodging a discussion on crafting?

This whole discussion was how crafting relates to endgame. The flashpoint he referenced and how crafted stims play a role directly relates to the discussion, as Lost Island is a stepping stone to endgame - it's the last before you start operations.

As to how crafting outside of biochem is useful to endgame, I'll explain one more time. At endgame, you do operations for gear. That gear has open mod slots (for lower tier endgame gear) and augment slots (every tier of endgame gear has at least a few of these). The best stat items you can fill these with are reverse-engineered crafted items (there's a few exceptions, as some world mobs drop a few best in slot items, but a majority belong to crew skills).

I don't understand why you ask to explain it if you've said before that it is useless unless you just want to bash the game. -_-

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    So basically, if i am a casual player, with only interest in lvling up for now, see the world and do some quests but i'm not very keen on doing instances more than once and rarely do pvp, prefered status should satisfy most of my needs? 
    Originally posted by gambe1
    So basically, if i am a casual player, with only interest in lvling up for now, see the world and do some quests but i'm not very keen on doing instances more than once and rarely do pvp, prefered status should satisfy most of my needs? 

The biggest hurdles you'll have are reduced XP (though from what I've heard if you do all planet/storyline quests you're never gonna be underleveled)/unable to equip purple gear/race restrictions/unable to hide your helm (it can be annoying). Besides those restrictions, you should be fine if you just wanna run through the storyline from 1 to 50.

If you wanna read up on the exact details: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

This whole discussion was how crafting relates to endgame. The flashpoint he referenced and how crafted stims play a role directly relates to the discussion, as Lost Island is a stepping stone to endgame - it's the last before you start operations.

As to how crafting outside of biochem is useful to endgame, I'll explain one more time. At endgame, you do operations for gear. That gear has open mod slots (for lower tier endgame gear) and augment slots (every tier of endgame gear has at least a few of these). The best stat items you can fill these with are reverse-engineered crafted items (there's a few exceptions, as some world mobs drop a few best in slot items, but a majority belong to crew skills).

I don't understand why you ask to explain it if you've said before that it is useless unless you just want to bash the game. -_-

Crafting has nothing to do with obtaining end-game gear.

So you are saying crafting is useful in SWTOR, yet only those who can make BioChem items, Augments, and Mods are actually useful.  And what are the mats to make these items? What about the rest of the crew skills?  Do you see an imbalance here?

PS: I would use that defense too "I don't understand why you ask to explain it if you've said before that it is useless unless you just want to bash the game." .... accuse someone of bashing a game if cornered into a hole.

So you are saying crafting is useful in SWTOR, yet only those who can make BioChem items, Augments, and Mods are actually useful.  And what are the mats to make these items? What about the rest of the crew skills?  Do you see an imbalance here?

PS: I would use that defense too .. accuse someone of bashing a game if cornered into a hole.

Each crew skill outside of Cybertech and Biochem (that's not gathering) makes augments for specific gear types.

Synthweaving makes them for light armor, Armormech for heavier gear. Artifice for lightsabers and such, Armstech for the firearms.

Cybertech makes mods for gear (not augments). And we know what Biochem does.

The others are just for gathering mats, which are used for the crafting skills. So yes, they all have a use for endgame (though Cybertech to a lesser extent when you get to top tier as they have lesser mod slots).

And no, I'm not bashing you because you asked for an explanation. You're speaking of what you don't know of as fact to bash the game. A few posts back, you said crafting is useless in SWTOR. I mentioned leveling uses. You said endgame is useless, thus it's useless for a themepark game. I give reasons why they're useful at endgame. Now we're here.

If you didn't know they were useful or not, why did you say they weren't? That's hating, plain and simple.

PS: I would use that defense too .. accuse someone of bashing a game if cornered into a hole.

Each crew skill outside of Cybertech and Biochem makes augments for specific gear types.

Synthweaving makes them for light armor, armormech for heavier gear. Artifice for lightsabers and such, armstech for the firearms.

Cybertech makes mods for gear (not augments). And we know what Biochem does.

The others are just for gathering mats, which are used for the crafting skills. So yes, they all have a use for endgame (though Cybertech to a lesser extent when you get to top tier).

And no, I'm not bashing you because you asked for an explanation. You're speaking of what you don't know of as fact to bash the game. A few posts back, you said crafting is useless in SWTOR. I mentioned leveling uses. You said endgame is useless, thus it's useless for a themepark game. I give reasons why they're useful at endgame.

If you didn't know they were useful or not, why did you say they were? That's hating, plain and simple.

In my experience, endgame crafting in SWTOR is useless.  There is nothing unique about end-game crafting from skill to skill (outside BioChem which we discussed).

I can craft all the latest and greatest item enhancements.. but why would I bother?  So can everyone else .. and yes the game was out long enough for most max level players to have alts.  So everyone else can.

I proposed ideas for crafting new and elevated items, based on older items,  earlier in this thread, but it was met with silence.

The current crafting system in SWTOR is BORING .. and in turn useless because it is boring and useless (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean).  It's only usefullness it to keep up with new patches and their item stats that go along with it, which are .. guess .. boring!

And I don't hate SWTOR exactly... I consider my relationship with SWTOR a love-hate relationship.

I can craft all the latest and greatest item enhancements.. but why would I bother?  So can everyone else .. and yes the game was out long enough for most max level players to have alts.  So everyone else can.

Going into whether the crafting skills are useful based on there utility and whether or not everyone else can craft them is an entirely different matter. Another topic, another day. Personal preference on whether it's fun or not doesn't make it useless as far as supplying items goes.

Though it's not as simple as you think - leveling a craft to max doesn't equal having all the endgame recipes. You have to reverse engineer rare drops to unlock rarer recipes (which happens at a lower and lower % of chance the rarer the item you RE is) as that chart I linked before showed, and only then can you craft the item. Obviously everyone can't craft them, as there's a healthy market for the rarer goods.

For example, I searched the official forums for making credits. The first result was full of people giving advice on reverse engineer everything, sell them on the market once you get the recipes, sell augments, and sell the rare materials from gathering crew skills: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=565127

Going into whether the crafting skills are useful based on there utility and whether or not everyone else can craft them is an entirely different matter. Another topic, another day. Personal preference on whether it's fun or not doesn't make it useless as far as supplying items goes.

Though it's not as simple as you think - leveling a craft to max doesn't equal having all the endgame recipes. You have to reverse engineer rare drops to unlock rarer recipes (which happens at a lower and lower % of chance the rarer the item you RE is) as that chart I linked before showed, and only then can you craft the item. Obviously everyone can't craft them, as there's a healthy market for the rarer goods.

For example, I searched the official forums for making credits. The first result was full of people giving advice on reverse engineer everything, sell them on the market once you get the recipes, sell augments, and sell the rare materials from gathering crew skills: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=565127

Sadly, I know about reverse engineering.

Anyways, it doesn't discount what I said, about crafting being boring and useless. 

Crafting I suppose is kept alive only because of EA's new patches when "they" raise the bar.  I suppose it's "usefullness" becomes "necessary" when item-bonus's gets outdated.  It's still boring.  Stats go up by 10% .. wooptie-doo. joy.  It's WoW all over (Except WoW had interesting craftable items).

While I question why you went to the official forums ... what was the second result?

Alright, we're going in circles. We can call it quits here? Crafting in TOR has it's uses despite what you said before, they're just not to your liking so you think it's useless.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I love flashpoints, I have adrenaline rush when I go through lost Island. Much better instances that any game I played before... especially HM.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

You DONT need stims for anything bro.

Thats unless you suck and need stats well above required.

I still remember people like you telling others "you need AT LEAST Tionese for HM FPs" and we were farming those in blue quest gear in second week rofl

Wrong wrong and wrong

You dont have a clue what is the "path to endgame"

The best and most efficient way to get BIS mods is to shop for various other classes gear and other sets from your class (specific pieces with desired mod).

I used to have 5-7 same pieces just because they contained BIS mods (be it mod or enhancement).

You are very poor when it comes to "how to gear yorself up"

Alright, we're going in circles. We can call it quits here? Crafting in TOR has it's uses despite what you said before, they're just not to your liking so you think it's useless.
    Except for BioChem, no it does not. Its useless and just a money sink. And you can gear lowbie alts, but thats also pretty pointless.

Wrong wrong and wrong

You dont have a clue what is the "path to endgame"

The best and most efficient way to get BIS mods is to shop for various other classes gear and other sets from your class (specific pieces with desired mod).

I used to have 5-7 same pieces just because they contained BIS mods (be it mod or enhancement).

You are very poor when it comes to "how to gear yorself up"

Endgame gear has augment slots to fill up. Players make those. Not going to go back and forth, but it's simple as that.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by mikahr

Except for BioChem, no it does not. Its useless and just a money sink. And you can gear lowbie alts, but thats also pretty pointless.

You can deconstruct any end game gear and craft it. There are crafters in game making tens of millions doing this as end game gear sells for 1-2 million a piece or 100's of thousands for mid-tier purples. People need a cash sink anyway and dailies give enough money for new 50's to buy some items much better than HM's or daily coms will give and even better than Black Hole items.

Crafting is becoming MUCH more than you are making it out to be. You obviously have  a very dated opinion. Obviously there is a ton of room for change. 

You stay sassy!

The BIS mods/augments is crafted. Point blank. How do you get them?

Do you guys even read what you quote? Since the answer to what you asked is in the quote....

Yes they CAN be crafted, and YES its by far least efficient way to do it (augments are only crafted (well not entirely true, but lets leave it at that, just to say i have plenty of non crafted purple augments)).

And Lost Island requires Tionese or equivalent with NO stims (and 4 players that dont suck, if you cant pull it off, well, problem is you).

Originally posted by Tamanoushere are crafters in game making tens of millions doing this as end game gear sells for 1-2 million a piece or 100's of thousands for mid-tier purples. People need a cash sink anyway and dailies give enough money for new 50's to buy some items much better than HM's or daily coms will give and even better than Black Hole items.

Crafting is becoming MUCH more than you are making it out to be. You obviously have  a very dated opinion. Obviously there is a ton of room for change. 

Man, now i understand why people say Tionese is requirement for T1 HM FPs.
    Originally posted by Tamanous

You can deconstruct any end game gear and craft it. There are crafters in game making tens of millions doing this as end game gear sells for 1-2 million a piece or 100's of thousands for mid-tier purples. People need a cash sink anyway and dailies give enough money for new 50's to buy some items much better than HM's or daily coms will give and even better than Black Hole items.

What about augmentation kits MK-6. Everybody needs them at end game and you can't get it in any other way than crafting. LOL just noticed I repeated what Draron said /grin.

The best looking double lightsaber in game - Truthseeker - see my sig, is also craftable, though you can get a bit better (pulsing gem in the middle) from cartel box /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

The BIS mods/augments is crafted. Point blank. How do you get them?

Do you guys even read what you quote? Since the answer to what you asked is in the quote....

Yes they CAN be crafted, and YES its by far least efficient way to do it (augments are only crafted (well not entirely true, but lets leave it at that, just to say i have plenty of non crafted purple augments)).

And Lost Island requires Tionese or equivalent with NO stims (and 4 players that dont suck, if you cant pull it off, well, problem is you).

Story mode I agree. Hard mode can be tough, but if you have good players who know what they doing sure. But that is normal with every MMO.  No way you can do it with Pug (not geared pug).

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

What about augmentation kits MK-6. Everybody needs them at end game and you can't get it in any other way than crafting.

This is what I was saying.

Story mode I agree. Hard mode can be tough, but if you have good players who know what they doing sure. But that is normal with every MMO.  No way you can do it with Pug (not geared pug).

I talk only of HMs and NiMs since story modes have absolutely no purple requirement.

And, gosh, as i said 4 PLAYERS THAT DONT SUCK.

PUG can also have 4 players that dont suck. Rarely but it happens.

This is what I was saying.

No, you were saying something else and then edited it, but NM.

What about augmentation kits MK-6. Everybody needs them at end game and you can't get it in any other way than crafting. LOL just noticed I repeated what Draron said /grin.

The best looking double lightsaber in game - Truthseeker - see my sig, is also craftable, though you can get a bit better (pulsing gem in the middle) from cartel box /grin

Gasp, no nobody NEEDS them.

You DONT need augments for ANYTHING. Those are NOT required.