Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Unchained: Join Us for an AoC Livecast TODAY!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com and the Age of Conan team have teamed up to bring our readers a special live event with a focus on the systems updates and revamps coming in the Dragon's Spine updates, primarily the crafting revamp. The team will also be answering questions from listeners so be sure to check it out TODAY at 6:00 pm EST/3:00 pm PST in the MMORPG.com Live Stream Channel!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Wasn't it said that the new crafting system would take inspiration from SWG? I'll have to watch, cause I am quite interested.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'm pretty interested in the crafting revamp also and the fact its based on SWG's system. It’s also really interesting to see what system updates are being added as one thing about Funcom, they really love there tech.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Yay! Can't wait for the livestream and some news
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I miss AoC and it's M-rated adult driven features. This will be worth looking into.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i wish they would make this game all over again.this time without the memory leaks and the story and everything be like tortage which imo is the best starting area i ever played in an mmo..not to mention my favourite dungeon.sanctum of the burning souls.Age of Conan 2 please right now..yummee..need some sheer brutality and prostitutes..gimmeeee
  • GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    I will always remember tortage... I agree, it was a good starting area.
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by RDBeast

I don't understand. I liked all the other zones too.

Sure they were not all voice over.  But just look at SW:TOR about what you get with full voice over. It's not the holy grail.

The problem why it failed after launch, was lies about features that were advertised and not in the game and all the tech problems, like steep system requirements, memory leaks, CTD's, etc.

The Dreamworld Engine was too new and not fully optimized yet, as it is today. It was too ahead of it's time, made it unplayable for many at the time.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Sure they were not all voice over.  But just look at SW:TOR about what you get with full voice over. It's not the holy grail.

The problem why it failed after launch, was lies about features that were advertised and not in the game and all the tech problems, like steep system requirements, memory leaks, CTD's, etc.

The Dreamworld Engine was too new and not fully optimized yet, as it is today. It was too ahead of it's time, made it unplayable for many at the time.

This.

Also the heavily instanced world, no-one wants to log on with a friend, both standing in the same area only to find you're in two different instances of the same zone. Nothing 'MMO' about that. Also, the faction castles etc were all instanced too, there wasn't much of a persistant 'MMO' aspect to Conan at all. That was the killer for me. On the plus side, its still one of the best MMO's in the last 10 years for me. Very homey, great soundtrack, awesome combat, great graphics, awesome storyline, great animation, good game-play, etc. 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    funny thing you should mentioned AoC. i was playing Skyrim a few days ago and just walking arround with my 2h hammer when i mistakely popped into 3rd person view .....and all of a sudden my brain switched into AoC mode, and my hand tried to do a bear shaman combo.....so many fun memories in AoC....
  • CathawayCathaway Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by D_TOX

This.

Also the heavily instanced world, no-one wants to log on with a friend, both standing in the same area only to find you're in two different instances of the same zone. Nothing 'MMO' about that. Also, the faction castles etc were all instanced too, there wasn't much of a persistant 'MMO' aspect to Conan at all. That was the killer for me. On the plus side, its still one of the best MMO's in the last 10 years for me. Very homey, great soundtrack, awesome combat, great graphics, awesome storyline, great animation, good game-play, etc. 

See D-Tox, I understand where you're coming from in regard to your first part of the paragraph.  But on the second part you say...

"On the plus side, its still one of the best MMO's in the last 10 years for me. Very homey, great soundtrack, awesome combat, great graphics, awesome storyline, great animation, good game-play, etc. "

This is what makes this game really, really good, (imo).

I wish more people would take a second look at this gem of an MMO.  And hopefully the new crafting system will help.

What I can't fathom is knuckleheads jumping on the "failcom" band wagon because it wasn't the PvP beast they hoped for.  My point is...  ...Recognize a good game for what it is, even if it's not what you thought it might be.  aka... a "hardcore" PvP MMO.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Cathaway

This.

See D-Tox, I understand where you're coming from in regard to your first part of the paragraph.  But on the second part you say...

"On the plus side, its still one of the best MMO's in the last 10 years for me. Very homey, great soundtrack, awesome combat, great graphics, awesome storyline, great animation, good game-play, etc. "

I wish more people would take a second look at this gem of an MMO.  And hopefully the new crafting system will help.

What I can't fathom is knuckleheads jumping on the "failcom" band wagon because it wasn't the PvP beast they hoped for.  My point is...  ...Recognize a good game for what it is, even if it's not what you thought it might be.  aka... a "hardcore" PvP MMO.

i dont consider them failcom..funcom is one of the only companies that takes a chance doin something different.Age of Conan is a fantastic game in pretty much all departments now..especially with the new crafting system upcoming.TSW is just a sublime mmo..it does not cater for the masses but its still an exceptional game.

i do get it sometimes when people critisise..i remember the launch of AOC..not very good..but now its extremely stable with the new dreamworld engine.atm graphically funcom have the 2 best looking mmo's on the go not to mention great stories from both as well.

• CathawayCathaway Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by kevjards
    Originally posted by Cathaway

This.

i dont consider them failcom..funcom is one of the only companies that takes a chance doin something different.Age of Conan is a fantastic game in pretty much all departments now..especially with the new crafting system upcoming.TSW is just a sublime mmo..it does not cater for the masses but its still an exceptional game.

i do get it sometimes when people critisise..i remember the launch of AOC..not very good..but now its extremely stable with the new dreamworld engine.atm graphically funcom have the 2 best looking mmo's on the go not to mention great stories from both as well.

Could not agree more my friend.  And thank you for speaking your mind...

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    So this is still goin' on today right? 
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Crap, thought TODAY was today.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Fix the F2P restrictions and I'll come back, don't care to play a trial anymore in an empty world.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    A age or conan sandbox would be the beez neez.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I watched the stream and the crafting system looks great, the fact on top of being able to craft an item you can give it the vanity look you want is great, don’t think I've seen this in any mmo yet. The only downside I see is no “recipe book” to store item templates as with this system you have to remember all the component combinations. This certainly looks to be the complete overall they promised :)