Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the state of MMO's getting worse?

123457»

Comments

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by cagar

Companys are to busy trying to put a little something for everybody in mmo's today.

Remember having a tank, healer, crowd control, ranged dps, melee dps, and a puller?

we now have tank, healer, dps, or not even that I some games.

We use to NEED a group to do things, now we can group if we want to run an instance, maybe raid.

i do like having some solo content to do while lfg, but now it makes up most of the game.

Instanced pvp is now just the same rehashed bs from one game to another. Huttball was kind of a fun spin on capture the flag until it was just about the only one you got in to do. 

Unfortunately until wow collapses, aaa company's will just keep rehashing the same thing to keep investors happy until some indie company really changes something that is a hit.

This is true, most mmo's these days are far to soloable and thats their major problem. Like the quoted post I like some soloable content but when you can solo all the way to level cap, it makes the game kinda pointless. I am praying that with all these wow-clones crashing and burning in less than 6 months other devs will see this and smarten up. Best mmo I ever played was honestly FF11 pre-abbysea.. Why you ask? Because there was a sense of accomplishment for even getting a few small things done due to the time required. Even leveling up in ff11 gave a sense of accomplishment that I just do not get in any other mmo when leveling up due to them all pretty much being single player rpgs lately. In FF11 player skill actually meant something even in leveling parties, because a bad player could and usually would slow a group down noticably.

The main problem is this though: Most mmorpg players are just lazy, and want everything handed to them for little or no effort. It all started when wow's first expansion came out, since then, players have been getting lazier and lazier. I've seen so many wowtards and their ilk whine in ff14 over having to do little things that don't take much time, because they are used to being spoonfed, Whats worse is the damn devolopers that cater to these types of people. All and all we need a major shift in the mentality of mmo players before we will really see any change. This is not going to happen if they keep making mmo's that cater to lazy people.

Then you have games with majorly wasted potental like the secret war, ok, it has war in the title.. so where is all the faction vs faction pvp preferably with land control and such? there isin't any. TBH there is 0 point to having factions in a game unless they can fight each other, its pretty silly otherwise.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Maxie93

As much as i agree with you, ive thought about the same thing and then realised "Wait ive basically just described a single player RPG". 

Sometimes i do wonder about mmorpgs its not like there is often content that requires 20+ people max! I guess theres just things like the economy, and seeing people around you is sorta cool. Apart from pvp situations where you could have loads of people.

Good point. Many MMOs are probably better off as online Multiplayer games. TOR really does not need a world.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Zekiah

According to you everything is working perfectly so I'm glad you're not "fixing" anything lol.

What is more?

Not perfect. Too many MMOs are not good games. Like Eve has awful combat mechanics.

But what does that have to do with me? I don't "fix" problems in the gaming industry. i vote with my wallet. You don't see me playing Eve although it is so imperfect.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by Psalms

I totally agree with OP...

MMOs are not capturing the magic they once did. When everyone was new to MMOs, there was an exciting quality to joining the game-world and interacting with people from all over.

At this point, I would guess that most people have played at least one other MMO and may be trying to capture the lightning in a bottle they felt at their first MMO experience.

totally right!

seeing someone else running around your screen was exciting in the early days. too bad their gone

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I do agree there seems to be a growing distaste or disinterest from parts of the MMO gaming community over the past few years with the state and direction MMOs are going, there seems to be no stopping the growth of overall profit in publishing MMOs though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game#cite_note-revenue-1).

I would say there needs to be some fresh innovation in MMOs, but apparently as far as profit goes the field is wide open for developers to get their games published. If the majority of gamers are in the mind set that MMOs are getting worse they do not seem to be showing it by stopping their subscriptions or cash shop purchases. Over the past 2-4 years MMOs have continued to grow in profit as a whole (industry). If you think MMOs are getting worse speak with your bank account and stop playing them. If enough people are that dissatisfied with the game industry of MMOs then it will be the biggest voice to make them take notice.

I as one gamer am not that upset with the direction MMOs are taking, but I do find myself not playing them as much as I did a few years ago.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

MMOs are not really built to last anymore... kinda like everything else. I guess that is my problem with them.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.