Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HOLY DAMN PS2 F2P GAME OF TH YEAR!!!!!

2»

Comments

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by romanator0
    Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Originally posted by stealthbr
    Originally posted by hfztt

It is kinda fun. But it does tend to feel quite pointless after a few days. I mean, capping, recapping, rinse, repeat.

That's the thing with pretty much every FPS. All of your victories really don't mean a damn thing, you just start a new game. FPS games have such high skill caps that you can play them for years and still find entertainment value because you are constantly getting better.

I have an issue with what you said here. In your average competitive FPS a match can last anywhere between 10-30 minutes sometimes even an hour or 2 if it goes on really long. During these matches everything you do matters because eventually the match will end in a win/loss scenario. Every base you take or lose, every flag you cap and every opponent you kill matters towards the end of that match. In your average FPS all of your objectives are there for you to work towards a win. Once that match is over a person will start another to try and win again. There is a purpose during each match that matters other than just pointing at your oppenents and clicking on them. The victory is what people work towards to and what they get satisfaction from, all the objectives are for people to attain that victory.

Planetside 2 has none of that. There is no end to Planetside 2, there is no win/loss scenario for people to work towards to. Because there is no victory conditions in PS2 there is ultimately no point in the objectives in the game. Oh you conquered half the bases on the map? Good for you, doesn't mean anything though because there is no win/loss scenario and you have nothing to work towards to. Base flipping in this game doesn't mean anything because there is no satisfying point for teams to attain.

If there was a win/loss scenario in the game such as whichever faction holds the most territory at the end of a given time period or whichever faction has the most points from holding bases then there would actually be a point in the objectives in the game. As it is now there is ultimately no point in doing anything within the game that can't be similarly done in another FPS.

What you just said about other fps games can be said about planetside only its on a much larger scale. There 7s a point... every piece of territory captured is a victory and every piece lost is a loss... theres no difference except planetside is persistent and the battle is constantly raging... the battle is always going on thoseother games too, but you just have to wait between maps and leading screens. Your point is flawed

Not seeing it. In a conquest game mode in pretty much any other FPS you take over bases and bases to try and win. When the match ends, whether that be from capturing all the objectives or time running out, one team wins and one team loses. Both teams are striving to be that winner. There is an end to the conflict and both teams know it and both teams strive to be the one on top when the match does end. 

Capturing a base in PS2 is just like capturing a base in any other FPS, except for the fact that there is no inevitable end that pushes the teams to come out ahead of the others. Every objective captured can be seen as a victory in other shooters too, but having a win/loss scenario gives capturing and holding objectives an actual, tangible purpose. Without some sort of purpose like a win/loss scenario capturing and losing bases ultimately means nothing within the game because you can always go "meh, we can always retake it later, it doesn't actually count towards anything". Having and end to work towards to means that every base captured and every base lost actually has a meaning and a purpose within the game.

Again your basis that PS2 has no pupose to base capture mechnics makes no sense. You're so blinded by your own biased view that you bringing up issues that simply don't exist. If anything, base captures are more rewarding in PS2 because they stick... everything isn't just some part of temporary game... the other territories around the base influence the battle in ways not seen in other games because not only do you have to fight over the capture points within the base but you have to keep an eye on the other territory around you. Your empire's resources can be cut off resulting in very limited use of vehicles and other equipment. Bases themselves offer advantages and value to your empire (which you seem to know nothing about or just choose to ignore) such as the ability to deploy MBTs and Gunships, passive health regeneration, faster respawn times, act. 

I don't see how you think there is no winning... unless your version of winning requires a scoreboard and a complete map reset. The "tangible purpose" of capturing territory is explained above. I believe that you really haven't grasped the concept of how planetside works otherwise you'd know everything I've explained... theres A LOT more to Planetside than meets the eye.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

I have an issue with what you said here. In your average competitive FPS a match can last anywhere between 10-30 minutes sometimes even an hour or 2 if it goes on really long. During these matches everything you do matters because eventually the match will end in a win/loss scenario. Every base you take or lose, every flag you cap and every opponent you kill matters towards the end of that match. In your average FPS all of your objectives are there for you to work towards a win. Once that match is over a person will start another to try and win again. There is a purpose during each match that matters other than just pointing at your oppenents and clicking on them. The victory is what people work towards to and what they get satisfaction from, all the objectives are for people to attain that victory.

Planetside 2 has none of that. There is no end to Planetside 2, there is no win/loss scenario for people to work towards to. Because there is no victory conditions in PS2 there is ultimately no point in the objectives in the game. Oh you conquered half the bases on the map? Good for you, doesn't mean anything though because there is no win/loss scenario and you have nothing to work towards to. Base flipping in this game doesn't mean anything because there is no satisfying point for teams to attain.

If there was a win/loss scenario in the game such as whichever faction holds the most territory at the end of a given time period or whichever faction has the most points from holding bases then there would actually be a point in the objectives in the game. As it is now there is ultimately no point in doing anything within the game that can't be similarly done in another FPS.

I disagree, these things are present in Planetside 2. Taking control of a facility in Planetside 2 is the equivalent of winning a match in your standard FPS. In order to capture the facility you have several objectives that must be completed. Doing so leads to victory. Once you take control of a facility, you move on to capture other facilities, just like starting a new round in an FPS game. In fact, the feeling of victory for capturing a facility is far more meaningful than winning a match in your average FPS game, since that capture actually affects the overall war effort, shifting the frontlines and changing influence values for nearby territories. I agree that in the overall scheme of things there most certainly is no win/lose scenario (However, just yesterday my empire got pushed all the way back to its warp gate in one of the continents, so we focused our efforts in another continent), the war is perpetual, but that's the case with every online FPS game.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by MeGaTronPower

SOE GOT A WINNER maasively massive battles hoooooooly crap.

You're about 10 years too late, PS1 was a bit more massive than PS2 is right now, I haven't been in a fight in PS2 as big as the ones I've been in PS1 yet, I recall during beta of PS1 and during the early days of release facing 300-400+ players in a single area- granted it got laggy but so does PS2 (at least on Connery). PS1 was overall a much better game than PS2.

I like PS2, I didn't buy alpha squad because I wasn't sure how much time I'd be spending playing this game, I don't regret not buying it but at least I still get my beta and veteran decals and titles and I paid a sub to it for the extra xp increase and I grabbed some double SC back on friday.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by hfztt

It is kinda fun. But it does tend to feel quite pointless after a few days. I mean, capping, recapping, rinse, repeat.

It's all about personal experience. For you it's all about "capping, recapping" etc. For me:

~ sometimes I pick up engineer, get my APC and I park it under enemy base enjoying hundreds of soldiers spawning on it. Or I park near some hill. Few dozen players shoot to some enemies and I run around happy (exp going up fast like hell!) switching great from engineer (so I can repair my APC) to heavy (so I can attack tanks before they destroy my APC), medic (so I can review people that are dead nerby) or sniper (so I can take down campers with 12X scope).

~ sometimes I take light assault, rifle with silencer and I roam in enemy base killing people undetected. I take my time, I reposition myself very often. I hunt them when it's safe. More than once they organized quite big search party just to take me down. This keep enemies in the base while my folks attack :-)

~ sometimes I just take 12X scope and I hunt down enemy players from far far away. Even if they see me, unless it's a sniper they can't take my down. It's so much fun!. Especally in enemy base when I flank them and kill them using silcencer one by one starting from medics. More than once I sneak in, throw granade on bunch of people behind building scoring 5-10 kills!

~ sometimes I take biggest rifle I have as heavy assault and I just sit on frontlines killing and getting killed.

I do all stuff that one should do on battlefield but can't do in games like BF3, CS and other shooters because short rounds, small maps or score board that respec only amount of people you kill. Here I have no pressure that I must kill as much people as I can so I just PLAY :-)

I LOVE Planetside 2.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

You're about 10 years too late, PS1 was a bit more massive than PS2 is right now, I haven't been in a fight in PS2 as big as the ones I've been in PS1 yet, I recall during beta of PS1 and during the early days of release facing 300-400+ players in a single area- granted it got laggy but so does PS2 (at least on Connery). PS1 was overall a much better game than PS2.

I like PS2, I didn't buy alpha squad because I wasn't sure how much time I'd be spending playing this game, I don't regret not buying it but at least I still get my beta and veteran decals and titles and I paid a sub to it for the extra xp increase and I grabbed some double SC back on friday.

Can't argue that PS1 still has many aspect that are better than PS2, but I will disagree on is the size. PS1's max population was about 300 per continent... PS2's is 2000 per continent. Battles are noticibly bigger in PS2, and this is coming from a vet from back in the early days where battles were big. I was in the 666th and we wouldn't be able to zone in all our member to the continent in PS1. In PS2 we can and we're a force to be reckoned with.

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

One of the best mmo's in years. Also one of the best shooters in years.

Pretty much a game-changers PlanetSide 2 is.

The "no point" argument is bullshit of the highest order. In the least it has the same point any other shooter has. You can win or lose a match in the same way you can in COD or BF. Secondly you hav the continent-based objective, which is to conquer the continent. Lastly you have the objective of getting to conquer all continents on the server. Last but not least, the point could be progression of your character.

There's more a "point" to the game than any other shooter on the market right now.

The "less large battles than PS1" suggestion is complete and utter BS. There have been battes for a base that were larger than ALL PLAYERS of an entire PS1 continent.

The "it's a zerg" argument isn't true either. There's a shitload of Outfit-vs-outfit action going on that's highly coordinated and organized.

What makes this game amazing to be, is that it's an EMG. An Epic Moment Generator. That's something you can't find in any other game. Those scenesof complete and total war. ACTUAL war. Not make-believe. WAR.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Game of the year never mind f2p
    And this in a year with awesome competition like farcry 3, dishonoured, gw2, Xcom, Torchlight 2 & borderlands 2 (except for annoying day 1 dlc)
  • squidincsquidinc Member Posts: 25

Huge fight on woodman yesterday, never seen so many vehicles.

No idea who captured what, I didn't care. I sat in my skyguard lightning and set the sky on fire, it was glorious.

Pleasantly surprised by the teamwork too, engineers repair, medics heal etc. Always plenty of spawnpoints thanks to the sunderers pushing behind enemy lines, and i'm not even in an outfit yet.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Not sure if serious but if you are, I disagree. PS2 wears off after a while, sure the massive battles are cool but it just becomes a game of follow the crowd from one base to another. Sure its fun for maybe an hour or 2 a day but its not OMGAMAZING!!!! Fix the bouncey ball grenades pls.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• UndeadlyUndeadly Member Posts: 52

Definately worth subbing to  planes are droppign bombs on bases, solderis marching, tanks rolling, troopers shhoting each other HOLY CRAP SOE GOT THIS RIGHT. PS2 puts cod and battlefield to shame. Whats dust 314?????

LOOOL

THOUSANds battlng it out, SOOO THIS IS WHAT IT FEELS like  epic combat fights :p

hot damn, and i thought 100 vs 100 was good but this thousands vs thosunds :p its endless haha.

AMAZING i give this 95%/ 100% score.

Agree, it is pretty amazing.  The only gripe I have is that it is sometimes difficult spotting enemies in a scrum.

It is a blast and definitely worth playing.  

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

It's actually insteresting that the average PS2 Player does what his class is supposed to do.

Snipers don't fight in the frontline.
    Snipers of the sneaky sort avoid any direct combat.
    Engineers don't rush into the fray they either repair or set up Turrets to add pressure and denial of area to enemies.
    Medics actually try to be in the second line and not to be the first one to get shot.
    Heavys hunt tanks or storm the *****.
    Lights avoid direct confrontation and rather try to shoot from obscure points like roofs and try to flank the enemy.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Im just glad it gives that same epic feeling the original gave in its hey day

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I dunno, anyone else read the OP and get zerg vs zerg out if it? Maybe it's really not quite like that.

Yes it's very much like that HOWEVER

if you dislike zerging, there's always dozens of smaller skirmish fights happening around the world.

People say this "zerging" thing like its a bad thing. Which suggests they think ghettoed off crappy little small team wow style tupperware box pvp matches is a good pvp system for a mmo ?*?#?
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I disagree the game isn't as good as the OP describes.

It is just plain awesome.

It is awesome in a sad time of MMOs where we have disposable MMOs and F2P MMOs like SWTOR that give you a chance to spend more to make it more like singleplayer game.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

PS2 is a very good game.  Everyone should give it a try.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    good game ok, but not of the year since world of tanks has reached 40mill accounts
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by defector1968
    good game ok, but not of the year since world of tanks has reached 40mill accounts

what does the number of accounts have to do with the GOTY title?

• ChickenshyteChickenshyte Member Posts: 6

Logged on for 1 hour got bored logged off uninstalled. FPS = campers + way to easy to exploit and pwn everything just  like Halo and COD and all them other FPS  titles. Nothing great and usually only ever keep there FPS fan bois after a while.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Chickenshyte

Logged on for 1 hour got bored logged off uninstalled. FPS = campers + way to easy to exploit and pwn everything just  like Halo and COD and all them other FPS  titles. Nothing great and usually only ever keep there FPS fan bois after a while.

It's not even possible to camp in PS2 because you have to take bases to get anything done. I'd assume you are a solo player too.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by defector1968

what does the number of accounts have to do with the GOTY title?

Shhh don't dispute genius reasoning skills.

• ChickenshyteChickenshyte Member Posts: 6
    There is a way to to anything ><