Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Negativity killed the cat.

124»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Nightgroper

I like to think the very old lesson being said here, that most have forgotten, is: If you have nothing useful to say then, be quiet.

I'm not saying that nothing bad cannot be said, but most are saying what's been said over, and over, and over. Then it just becomes whining. At that point, either whine in one of the source threads, or try and do something about it, if it bothers you so much.

You can almost cut the irony with a knife.  image

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Bah! Turkeys suck. What we need is a holiday where we get to decide what animal to slaughter and eat instead of this thanksgivings turkey theme.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    You guys miss his point completely and I am pretty sure you are the reason why he started this thread. You make me laugh and cry at the same time.

And what is that point? that i have been a negative nancy for all this time but now i am gonna teach you how to ignore one? I don't think you have any idea how many times OP has killed a cat with negativity.

But i am glad i made you laugh and cry at same time. Not easy to bring out both emotions at same time in people.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Here is a example from real life:

In my student days i used to live in a flat that i rented together with 3 mates. It was not great but as student money is in short supply, and we had all we needed. Yet one of the mates kept constantly complaining about everything. Slowly we all started hating that flat. But than that mate left, and slowly things started going back to normal and we again enjoyed our living quarters.

I guess I have learned there, how negativity can paint black even a good thing.

And ammount of negativity in gamer circles this days is astonding. I think we all know it and i will give no examples.

Its like a sickness of todays gamer community and its spreading. It now reached GW2.

This virus needs no big thing to fuel it. Any little thing can be a reason.

For example:

Players complaining about lack of item progression -> Anet gives them item progression <- Players complaining Anet promised there will be no item progression.

Its slippery slope of negativity.

Honestly its ruining every game for me.

So this is what I decided to do. (and tend to do with any game that I enjoy)

1. If you enjoy the game. Stop reading negativity treads - it will eventually effect you and ruin the game for you.

2. If you have things you dont like about the game (and we all have) - Is it so big an issue that you dont want to play the game anymore ? No ? You enjoy the game still - make your case known. But dont dwell on it to much. Enjoy the things you do like.

3. The issue is so big you can not enjoy the game anymore ? Its a bummer. Give the game a pause.Perhaps try planetside ?

So all in all. Negativity will ruin the game for you - even if you enjoy it.

Avoid taking part in it.

Don't let the haters get to you. Every game has its haters. I just enjoy.

In fact, i don't even need to avoid the negative threads. The point is not to let some random dude on the internet affect you.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825

For once I agree with you. If you are enjoying it, that's what counts.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I don´t agree that "negativity" is killing games.

BAD GAMEDESIGN is killing games.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Pin_CushionPin_Cushion Member UncommonPosts: 38

I like this thread a lot, mostly because the phenoenon the OP is describing is true, but also because there's nothing anyone can do about it.  I don't think it's necessarily the complaints that kill a game for me.  I have no problem with complaints.  It's the negativity.  What I means is, in GW2 for example, the addition of Ascended gear has upset many people and they're complaining about it.  That's fine.  But A FEW people are taking it to the next level.  They're spamming map chat in the main town about how grindy the game's getting, how it's an endless treadmill, how ANet is a terrible game run by terrible people, etc. etc.  It's one or two people spamming this garbage on and off througout the day, every day.

So, I go to WvW to try to get some enjoyment in.  There are people spamming map chat with how crappy our server is, and how terrible most of our players are, and so on.  They're not complaining.  They're just bitching.  And because they're bitching, it encourages other people to bitch too.  And it makes it not fun.

If I think back to Rift.  They changed the way Battlegrounds worked or something, can't really remember what it was.  The day after the patch was announced there were one or two people in map chat just bitching about it ALL DAY LONG!  I figured they were unemployed or kids, because most people would have to take breaks to go to work or the bathroom.  Nope.  All day long.  Bitch and moan.  About something that hadn't happened yet.  I eventually put them on ignore, but THAT is the type of person the OP is trying to describe.  That is the type of person that demands far more mental "space" than they deserve.

WoW had the same crap.  Every patch there'd be one or two people in whatever zone you wanted to hang out in just spamming their whining endlessly trying to get other people to agree with them or something.

Complaints are a natural thing.  If your grocery store started stocking hardcore pr0n, or crack pipes, or whatever at the checkout line, and you didn't like that, you'd say something.  Maybe you'd take the manager to the side and tell them you wouldn't come back because of that, or write a letter or e-mail.  What most people wouldn't do is hang out in front of the store and complain for 3-8 hours a day about how the whole franchise is going down the drain, and if you like pr0n and crack pipes then something wrong with you.

Those people.  Those people ruin everything they get near, and need to be ostracized at every turn.

There's a difference between not liking something, and making sure that nobody else gets to like it either.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Actually, if they started selling those items in our local grocery there would be a small but vocal group of protesters who would not let it go and would complain incessantly until they got their way. Same thing here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Pin_Cushion

They're spamming map chat in the main town about how grindy the game's getting, how it's an endless treadmill, how ANet is a terrible game run by terrible people, etc. etc. 

Those people.  Those people ruin everything they get near, and need to be ostracized at every turn.

Sure. Blame the players for paying for another game which is a pointless boring gear treadmill. Right.

Everyone who puts his money into a game has every right to complain and point out massive game design flaws.

• Pin_CushionPin_Cushion Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by Pin_Cushion

They're spamming map chat in the main town about how grindy the game's getting, how it's an endless treadmill, how ANet is a terrible game run by terrible people, etc. etc. 

Sure. Blame the players for paying for another game which is a pointless boring gear treadmill. Right.

Everyone who puts his money into a game has every right to complain and point out massive game design flaws.

Everyone has the right to complain.  I don't dispute that.  I dislike the "small, but vocal minority" referred to above going out of their way to spew bile all over any public area they come across and ruin any chance of civil discourse.  It's pathalogically selfish, and ignores the fact that different people like different things.

I have no problems with people talking about an expansion in public chat, even if their opinion is a negative one.  That's fine.  What I have a problem with is people SPAMMING their unsolicited opinion for the sole purpose of drowning out any other topics of conversation and poisoning the entire culture in which they reside.

If you get bad service then you have to complain....TO THE PEOPLE THAT GAVE YOU BAD SERVICE!

Write e-mails.  Send feedback.  Send PMs to the dev team if you want.  Or, heck, just take your business elsewhere!

That's complaining.  Complaining means you want something to be done about it.  It means you're taking your issue to people that can actually implement change, and you're framing that complaint in a way that may encourage the party to listen to you.  Publicly calling the creators rapacious morons in front of all their other customers, in a ceaseless diatribe nobody really wants to hear isn't complaining.  It doesn't make any creator want to listen.  It's just being an asshole.