Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too ahead of its time... just like every other mmofps.

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by rendus
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Sigh.. here we go again. MMO purists trying to define what MMO is even though over the years MMOS have intergreted themselves with all other genres and have become more of a hybrid.

PS2 is a MMOFPS, it is not just called a shooter or a MMO but mixture of both.

There are no resources to control. Nothing that helps your faction in any way.
    Have us, factions, fight over resources. Give us a reason to capture that base and defend it with our very last breath!

But there are resources to fight over....do you even play?

What resources??

There are no resources, nor factories to process them and manufacture into something.

Or do you mean the 2 stupid little resource bars for your character to be able to deploy a vehicle?

That is more like currency.

Obviously you don't play. If you did you would have known that those gigantic facilities scattered all over each continent is mass producing VALUBLE resources for land and air vehicles, as well as infantry supplies for those that contol them. Without them your empire would be pulverized and send you packing for your warpgate.

On topic: The engine that PS2 is running on is ahead of most hardware, not sure about ahead of it's time. It is clear there is a lot more to be improved. Atleast it is completely free so comming back when more sandboxy stuff is added is nice.

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

Sigh.. here we go again. MMO purists trying to define what MMO is even though over the years MMOS have intergreted themselves with all other genres and have become more of a hybrid.

Have us, factions, fight over resources. Give us a reason to capture that base and defend it with our very last breath!

What resources??

There are no resources, nor factories to process them and manufacture into something.

Or do you mean the 2 stupid little resource bars for your character to be able to deploy a vehicle?

http://youtu.be/NlAjZZytXiM

skip to 1:58

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by rendus Originally posted by JeroKane Originally posted by Whitebeards Sigh.. here we go again. MMO purists trying to define what MMO is even though over the years MMOS have intergreted themselves with all other genres and have become more of a hybrid. PS2 is a MMOFPS, it is not just called a shooter or a MMO but mixture of both.
    There are no resources to control. Nothing that helps your faction in any way. Have us, factions, fight over resources. Give us a reason to capture that base and defend it with our very last breath!  
    What resources??

You're not paying attention or not playing, resources are a big deal in PS2, think of it as an interlink facility in PS1- without it, you can't spawn half the vehicles.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,958
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

What resources??

Obviously you don't play. If you did you would have known that those gigantic facilities scattered all over each continent is mass producing VALUBLE resources for land and air vehicles, as well as infantry supplies for those that contol them. Without them your empire would be pulverized and send you packing for your warpgate.

On topic: The engine that PS2 is running on is ahead of most hardware, not sure about ahead of it's time. It is clear there is a lot more to be improved. Atleast it is completely free so comming back when more sandboxy stuff is added is nice.

You can easily fill up your resource bars by go to the respective areas and start killing people. Earn XP in process and fill up your bars quickly.  Is what I did yesterday.

It's basically what people are doing right now. Just flipping bases, to quickly gain XP, certs and fill up your resource bars.

It's really too simplified to have any real meaning. :-(

Factions shouldn't have any resources at all to begin with.

It's much more interesting having to deploy harvesters and really harvest resources to supply your faction with, to be actually able to build base components, defense system components, vehicles, etc.  Like how you did in Dune, C&C, etc.

This would have made the game much more interesting, as harvesters would be prime targets by other factions and you would have to defend them during harvesting and hauling back the resources to process facilities.

Bases in those areas would then also be much more interesting to capture, expand and enhance with better defense systems, etc to hold off enemies from your precious resource areas.

It really forces people to work together as a whole faction, because if not... you won't gather any resources, facilities running dry and you basically would not have any vehicles, aircraft, tanks, etc at your disposal.

Basically like how EVE Online works in a way and in some way also DAoC.

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

What resources??

You can easily fill up your resource bars by go to the respective areas and start killing people. Earn XP in process and fill up your bars quickly.  Is what I did yesterday.

It's basically what people are doing right now. Just flipping bases, to quickly gain XP, certs and fill up your resource bars.

It's really too simplified to have any real meaning. :-(

Factions shouldn't have any resources at all to begin with.

It's much more interesting having to deploy harvesters and really harvest resources to supply your faction with, to be actually able to build base components, defense system components, vehicles, etc.  Like how you did in Dune, C&C, etc.

This would have made the game much more interesting, as harvesters would be prime targets by other factions and you would have to defend them during harvesting and hauling back the resources to process facilities.

Bases in those areas would then also be much more interesting to capture, expand and enhance with better defense systems, etc to hold off enemies from your precious resource areas.

It really forces people to work together as a whole faction, because if not... you won't gather any resources, facilities running dry and you basically would not have any vehicles, aircraft, tanks, etc at your disposal.

Basically like how EVE Online works in a way and in some way also DAoC.

All interesting ideas.  Just never on the Planetside 2 roadmap.  This is starting to sound like the PVE content in a PVP game thread.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Horrible game. Period. There's nothing MMORPG about it, so I have no idea why it's even on this site. All I see is a stupid game for FPS kids (as in babies, children, 12 year olds) that don't have the attention span to play a real game. I tried it, hated the FPS mechanics, the lagging engine, the crappy UI, the horribad map system. Isn't there an FPS site that you clowns and COD fanboys can populate? Please drag this rancid corpse of a game with you. Ithankyou.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by wordiz
    Horrible game. Period. There's nothing MMO about it, so I have no idea why it's even on this site. All I see is a stupid game for FPS kids (as in babies, children, 12 year olds) that don't have the attention span to play a real game. I tried it, hated the FPS mechanics, the lagging engine, the crappy UI, the horribad map system. Isn't there an FPS site that you clowns and COD fanboys can populate? Please drag this rancid corpse of a game with you. Ithankyou.

Could you recommend me an (MMO)FPS that is not for kids (as in babies, children, 12 year olds)? Now, I'm only 22, but I believe I have the attention span to play a REAL game (as opposed to any fake one). 

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Raserei

8gigs ram

quad core 2.8ghz

Windows 7

5770 HD ATI Radeon 

Worse computer then yours and I run at medium 30-60 FPS.... 30 FPS when I'm in a large scale battle. Human eye can only see 30 FPS, good times.

Have you tried game booster? HAve you tried tweaking windows?

Wrong. The average human eye can see 60 FPS. Many humans can actually see passed that though, and into the 80 FPS range. 

Planetside 2 has a far way to go before it is fully optimized, but it's already very playable. I didn't play PS1 but I love shooters and I play some BF3 here and there. I'm having a blast in PS2! I'm thinking about subbing. I don't see myself playing BF3 for a loong time.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's more of a mmo than diablo3 which is on this site. Heck its more if a mmo than swtor.
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

AMD Athlon 64x2 2.6ghz

2gb ram

9400GT

Windows XP

500PSU

Average 30 FPS on PS2 on medium settings.

When I hear things like, "My I7 comp ain't that great" I am confused, so if I upgrade to an I7 I will not get that big of a performance increase?????  Computers confuse me.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The human eye works at around 40-45 fps.

That is why films are made at that frame rate.
    Originally posted by Drolkin

AMD Athlon 64x2 2.6ghz

2gb ram

9400GT

Windows XP

500PSU

Average 30 FPS on PS2 on medium settings.

When I hear things like, "My I7 comp ain't that great" I am confused, so if I upgrade to an I7 I will not get that big of a performance increase?????  Computers confuse me.

People saying an i7 is not great, have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. Even the cheapest i7 absolutely dominates the new 8 core (4 module...) Piledriver AMD CPUs. You will see a HUGE performance gain coming from an Athlon 64x2. It will be night and day. Also, you need a new graphics card. Even one of the cheaper ones like a GT640 would suffice. But I highly recommend getting something like a GTX 570 or Radeon 7870 at the very minimum. Those cards are dropping around to $200 these days. 

Originally posted by ThumbtackJ
    Horrible game. Period. There's nothing MMO about it, so I have no idea why it's even on this site. All I see is a stupid game for FPS kids (as in babies, children, 12 year olds) that don't have the attention span to play a real game. I tried it, hated the FPS mechanics, the lagging engine, the crappy UI, the horribad map system. Isn't there an FPS site that you clowns and COD fanboys can populate? Please drag this rancid corpse of a game with you. Ithankyou.

Could you recommend me an (MMO)FPS that is not for kids (as in babies, children, 12 year olds)? Now, I'm only 22, but I believe I have the attention span to play a REAL game (as opposed to any fake one). 

You're asking the wrong guy.

I have'nt gotten behind a shooter since CS 1.6, and pretty much lost all hope in the genre after the 3rd iteration of CoD. Gratuitous, senseless violence, relentless trigger pulling, all topped off with some good ol fashion war propaganda, such as the stabs at groups like Anonymous in the new Black Ops. I like my brain how it is thanks, I also like the natural reaction of nausea that I feel when I see somebody cut down by bullets ( a reaction, I'm sure, that many FPS players no longer have.) So, in my opinion, anyone that is a shooter fan is either a bandwagoneer, a child with low standards and attention span, a desensitized violent zombie or a combination of the three.

I understand the MMO aspect making a shooter larger and more epic, but don't understand why it would be on this site just because it's massive and multiplayer. 

I'd tell you to check out Firefall, but it looks pretty cartoony and Borderlandish, and it's made by someone who worked for Blizzard on WoW.

To my knowledge there aren't any good MMOFPS's yet.

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Horrible game. Period. There's nothing MMORPG about it, so I have no idea why it's even on this site. All I see is a stupid game for FPS kids (as in babies, children, 12 year olds) that don't have the attention span to play a real game. I tried it, hated the FPS mechanics, the lagging engine, the crappy UI, the horribad map system. Isn't there an FPS site that you clowns and COD fanboys can populate? Please drag this rancid corpse of a game with you. Ithankyou.

You have a disturbing and irrational hatred for shooters. The game never claims to be an MMORPG, however it is an MMO since, you know, it is massively multiplayer. I fail to see how FPS's are for children, or for people with short attenion spans since nearly every single one of them are marketed towards adults. Please provide an example of what a "real game" is, are you referring to WoW? SWTOR perhaps? Maybe even Hello Kitty Online? By your logic since I enjoy Halo and TF2 I'm obviously a 12 year old COD fanboy. I mean TF2 and COD are practically the same game since they are both shooters, just like every single mmo is a WoW clone, espically EvE and Darkfall.

edit: annoying typo

Originally posted by Krashner

You have a disturbing and irrational hatred for shooters. The game never claims to be an MMORPG, however it is an MMO since, you know, it is massively multiplayer. I fail to see how FPS's are for children, or for people with short attenion spans since nearly every single one of them are marketed towards adults. Please provide an example of what a "real game" is, are you refferring to WoW? SWTOR perhaps? Maybe even Hello Kitty Online? By your logic since I enjoy Halo and TF2 I'm obviously a 12 year old COD fanboy. I mean TF2 and COD are practically the same game since they are both shooters, just like every single mmo is a WoW clone, espically EvE and Darkfall.

I'd respond to all points, but you saying that Eve and Darkfall are WoW clones just killed you where you stand.  Just for clarification, when I say kids or children or babies, I'm talking about mentality, or simple mindedness, easy to please, distracted by handclaps but cracked out on killing. 

As far as real games? I dunno, it sure has been a while.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Films are made @ 24 fps bud.

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137

You have a disturbing and irrational hatred for shooters. The game never claims to be an MMORPG, however it is an MMO since, you know, it is massively multiplayer. I fail to see how FPS's are for children, or for people with short attenion spans since nearly every single one of them are marketed towards adults. Please provide an example of what a "real game" is, are you referring to WoW? SWTOR perhaps? Maybe even Hello Kitty Online? By your logic since I enjoy Halo and TF2 I'm obviously a 12 year old COD fanboy. I mean TF2 and COD are practically the same game since they are both shooters, just like every single mmo is a WoW clone, espically EvE and Darkfall.

I'd respond to all points, but you saying that Eve and Darkfall are WoW clones just killed you where you stand. As far as real games? I dunno, it sure has been a while.

Sarcasm, it starts at "by your logic" and ends at "darkfall."

edit: annoying typoe

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Here's an excerpt:

"A frame or scene on a computer is first setup by your video card in a frame buffer. The frame/image is then sent to the RAMDAC (Random Access Memory Digital-Analog-Convertor) for final display on your display device. Liquid Crystal Displays, and FPD Plasma displays use a higher quality strictly digital representation, so the transfer of information, in this case a scene is much quicker. After the scene has been sent to the monitor it is perfectly rendered and displayed. One thing is missing however, the faster you do this, and the more frames you plan on sending to the screen per second, the better your hardware needs to be. Computer Programmers and Computer Game Developers which have been working strictly with Computers can't reproduce motion blur in these scenes. Even though 30 Frames are displaying per second the scenes don't look as smooth as on a TV. Well that is until we get to more than 30 FPS.

NVIDIA a computer video card maker who recently purchased 3dFx another computer video card maker just finished a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) for the XBOX from Microsoft. Increasing amounts of rendering capabilities and memory as well as more transistors and instructions per second equate to more frames per second in a Computer Video Game or on Computer Displays in general. There is no motion blur, so the transition from frame to frame is not as smooth as in movies, that is at 30 FPS. In example, NVIDIA/3dfx put out a demo that runs half the screen at 30 fps, and the other half at 60 fps. The results? - there is a definite difference between the two scenes; 60 fps looking much better and smoother than the 30 fps."

Basically, frames are rendered differently in movies and television. They use a motion blurring technique which allows the brain to perceive the 30 fps as being smooth. In games the frames are rendered differently from you video card. The lack of blurring makes 30 fps look very laggy compared to 60 fps. So yes, in games the more fps the better. If you are able to get more than 60 fps you will still be able to notice the difference. This "you can't see more than 30 fps on screen" is complete nonsense and only applies to movies/television. 

Source: http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

what other mmofps?!?!

there are no other mmofps. there is darkfall and planetside 2. even planetside 1 was not massive.

My blog: image

• JimmyzzzJimmyzzz Member Posts: 2

Long time lurker, first time poster. I thought i'd share what PS2 could become, if supported.

"What are your plans for the future?

First off, we have a 3 year plan. That's really big. We plan on putting that out to the users at some point in the near future. This isn't some "vision" we plan on imparting on our players. It's our thoughts on what we think would be cool. We will listen to our users feedback and make changes based on that feedback. We think we have some killer ideas but our players have pretty good ones too! I want to be super clear here - these are just some of the ideas. The team has a ton.

Here are just a few cornerstone ideas we are considering. I want to be crystal clear and say that these are NOT promises these are ideas.. some of which may be canned. That thinking can change. It can even change fast. I just want you to understand we are looking to support this game for a very long time and add a lot of features to it.

1) Player Owned bases - we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We're also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.

2) Harvestable resources - imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.

3) Water between continents - seamlessly - this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.

4) Lots more vehicles and weapons - just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.

5) NPC enemies - I don't want to call this PVE. That's not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn't a bunch of quest givers saying "go kill 10 rats" - this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.

6) NPC armies - imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it's in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn't another game mode. It's all part of the same game.

7) Esports support - we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.

8) Weather

9) Mac version (soon after launch).

Like I said - some of these are just ideas.. some are already planned for the near term. Expect us to lay this out clearly and expect this soon.

Thanks and I hope this gives you some things to think about

Smed"

Source - http://john-smedley.livejournal.com/2412.html

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Consensus

what other mmofps?!?!

there are no other mmofps. there is darkfall and planetside 2. even planetside 1 was not massive.

darkfail wasnt really a mmofps, but planetside 1 was definitely an MMOFPS, if you had done even a little research on it, that should be obvious.image

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    i have 6850 ati, 16gb ddr3, x4 proc and game is running like crazy. I can't even understand how they did manage that mass fighting without any lag or fps problem. Graphic is awesome and i play always on max settings 1680X1050
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,958
    Originally posted by Jimmyzzz

Long time lurker, first time poster. I thought i'd share what PS2 could become, if supported.

"What are your plans for the future?

First off, we have a 3 year plan. That's really big. We plan on putting that out to the users at some point in the near future. This isn't some "vision" we plan on imparting on our players. It's our thoughts on what we think would be cool. We will listen to our users feedback and make changes based on that feedback. We think we have some killer ideas but our players have pretty good ones too! I want to be super clear here - these are just some of the ideas. The team has a ton.

Here are just a few cornerstone ideas we are considering. I want to be crystal clear and say that these are NOT promises these are ideas.. some of which may be canned. That thinking can change. It can even change fast. I just want you to understand we are looking to support this game for a very long time and add a lot of features to it.

1) Player Owned bases - we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We're also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.

2) Harvestable resources - imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.

3) Water between continents - seamlessly - this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.

4) Lots more vehicles and weapons - just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.

5) NPC enemies - I don't want to call this PVE. That's not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn't a bunch of quest givers saying "go kill 10 rats" - this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.

6) NPC armies - imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it's in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn't another game mode. It's all part of the same game.

7) Esports support - we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.

8) Weather

9) Mac version (soon after launch).

Like I said - some of these are just ideas.. some are already planned for the near term. Expect us to lay this out clearly and expect this soon.

Thanks and I hope this gives you some things to think about

Smed"

Source - http://john-smedley.livejournal.com/2412.html

It's a very old blogplost and a lot of stuff he was talking about, was scrapped! Like the ingame currency. Now you have to use precious cert points to unlock weapons. He has also not posted anymore ever since lol.

This is exactly the stuff I am talking about and why the game has been released way too soon.

In a game like this, player owned bases, rare resources to fight over, harvesters, etc should have been in at launch!

Now... by the time they get this stuff in the game, most people will have grown bored of the game and moved on. Turning the game in another ghost town like PS1, where fights are hard to find. :-(

As right now, the only thing to do ingame is base flipping. Day after day after day after day. /shrug

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

You have a disturbing and irrational hatred for shooters. The game never claims to be an MMORPG, however it is an MMO since, you know, it is massively multiplayer. I fail to see how FPS's are for children, or for people with short attenion spans since nearly every single one of them are marketed towards adults. Please provide an example of what a "real game" is, are you refferring to WoW? SWTOR perhaps? Maybe even Hello Kitty Online? By your logic since I enjoy Halo and TF2 I'm obviously a 12 year old COD fanboy. I mean TF2 and COD are practically the same game since they are both shooters, just like every single mmo is a WoW clone, espically EvE and Darkfall.

I'd respond to all points, but you saying that Eve and Darkfall are WoW clones just killed you where you stand.  Just for clarification, when I say kids or children or babies, I'm talking about mentality, or simple mindedness, easy to please, distracted by handclaps but cracked out on killing. 

As far as real games? I dunno, it sure has been a while.

"Hey, how does this legendary hat look on me?"

"I'm going to my digital house and hang pictures"

"I spent 30 minutes creating my avatar"

"I hope this game allows us to have relationships"

Yeah....I think I'd gladly claim your definition of a FPS player over the mentality of a grown man trying to recreate a his life digitally. 

Live long and prosper, Tron...

• JimmyzzzJimmyzzz Member Posts: 2

It's a very old blogplost and a lot of stuff he was talking about, was scrapped! Like the ingame currency. Now you have to use precious cert points to unlock weapons. He has also not posted anymore ever since lol.

This is exactly the stuff I am talking about and why the game has been released way too soon.

In a game like this, player owned bases, rare resources to fight over, harvesters, etc should have been in at launch!

Now... by the time they get this stuff in the game, most people will have grown bored of the game and moved on. Turning the game in another ghost town like PS1, where fights are hard to find. :-(

As right now, the only thing to do ingame is base flipping. Day after day after day after day. /shrug

I wouldn't call a post from August "Very Old", but yes it has been a few months since it was written. And the currency you are talking about was scrapped because of the feedback of the players. Meaning SOE listen and make changes based on player feedback, which surely you can't say is a bad thing.

Nothing he wrote in what I quoted was scrapped. Quite the opposite actually, player built bases have been confirmed as in the works and coming at some point, along with more continents, and weapons, and vehicles.

If every MMO came with what people think it was "supposed to" at launch, no game would ever be released.

Possibly true, and I see where your coming from. I too have the same concerns and don't consider "Base Flipping" as a viable long term "End" game. But this isn't some magical land of gaming where every game ships with enough content to last a lifetime, I wish it were, but we have to support the games we enjoy to see them really come of age.