Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A commonality in recent ads.

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742
    There is nothing wrong with a bit of augmentation, next you will be claiming they have too much augmented make up on. I have had to put up with below par MMO's for the last few years, the least they can do is sort out some eye candy for me. :)
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

the leading vote on this ad-hoc poll is Oh Really?

This is something you may want to discuss with the advertisers MMORPG.

Apparently they're too evolved for your client's base advertisements.

Tits are the playthings of the past.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Helleri

that slider going all the way is not age of player dependant, lol...

Benjamin Franklin said "Old boys have their toys as well as young. The only difference is in the price."

Words to forever live by. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You should take this as an insult guys.

The adds are basicly saying "us marketing guys think gamers are all awkward nerdy male virgins"
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

The adds are basicly saying "us marketing guys think gamers are all awkward nerdy male virgins"

Nope, they're saying "sex sells" as it always has. Why change a running system? After all, it's a business.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

I think you may be onto something. Of course I've sampled all that is on the advertiser's menu. Or of course anyone would say that.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    a man will click it cause he wants that, a woman will click it cause she wants that....Now, look at the PWI closely, nice jewlry, great hair, good outfit, tattoo. took me a min to notice anything but good boobage, until mine walks by and likes the outfit and wants the jewelry -_-...so yeah they put more in those adds then just sex. just a good number of us don't see anything more there (yes there are female gamers but it is more of a guy thing...hot girls are just more awesome when they do it to).

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You definetly see more boobage on games advert than you do on "non geek" interests. Sure you may see this in a car advert or something but not as many as marketing guys think "hey women buy cars too" or "hey I own a car and have a sex life, lets do a campaign based around how our car can enhance your family life". Basicly advertising works by selling you the thing they want to sell AND another thing they think you dont have. So there us a conception that gamers are mostly male and mostly single.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    You definetly see more boobage on games advert than you do on "non geek" interests. Sure you may see this in a car advert or something but not as many as marketing guys think "hey women buy cars too" or "hey I own a car and have a sex life, lets do a campaign based around how our car can enhance your family life". Basicly advertising works by selling you the thing they want to sell AND another thing they think you dont have. So there us a conception that gamers are mostly male and mostly single.

Or that most gamers like hot chicks.

And on the car issue, most people buying new cars, at least in America, are college students and family people - they are looking for an economical car or a sporty car. Sex doesn't sell that for multiple reasons - one big one being that's hard to sell your Mom or Wife on the idea when the commercial is sex.

However, Mom and Wife aren't often involved in the car show experience, and as a result you have the booth babes all over those.

Is beer a geek activity? How about football? NASCAR?  No, it's not about geek or non-geek, but about who the primary and secondary audience are. It's about who's spending the money and who's approving/allowing the expense.

Using sex to sell can sometimes backfire on some audiences. For example, I'm quite sure that most people here have seen and simply rolled their eyes at Evony ads. Conversely, somewhere out there,is a demographic that falls for it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    As long as the thread remains clean, in the sense there's nothing bare/NSFW/excessive (use judgment), then it's acceptable enough. Just use judgment. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Recent ads? Where have you been?  It's not just mmorpg though it's the gaming industry and marketing in general.  Every once in awhile people make a thread about it like it's something new.  We were about do for one.

I made a thread awhile back, over a year ago I think, of some game art advertised here that showed a male characters pubes. To me that was a little much but some people liked the picture.  To each his own.

Personally, I don't buy a game based on cover art or flashy marketing ads.  I'm more interested in a features list.  These ads must work on someone though or they wouldn't use them.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Amana
    As long as the thread remains clean, in the sense there's nothing bare/NSFW/excessive (use judgment), then it's acceptable enough. Just use judgment. 

Can't we use selected videos, instead?

Hmm, no, I suppose not. Harumph.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

I am NOT awkward!!

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Im asking, " No im demanding equal Backround Space here "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Boobs have been in marketing since boobs were invented. Its not a recent thing. MMO ads have featured cleavage as long as I can remember.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I never actually notice the game logo due to the other art on the page.  Not sure this advertising strategy is working. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    My favorite are women warriors with plate over their boobs only. Ruins immersion for me. =/

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Boobs have been in marketing since boobs were invented. Its not a recent thing. MMO ads have featured cleavage as long as I can remember.

Yup. The term "sex sells" has been around forever.  Pay attention to TV comercials once in a while, folks.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Men staring boobs makes them live longer. I'm not kidding. There is real research behind this. They are doing us a service so stop complaining.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I re-watched Paul a couple of days ago and I'm wondering... Do 3 boobies sell 50% more than 2?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104

I dunno, the boob ads just don't work for me. I always watch the videos. 

I wonder if they've done marketing polls on how much they'd make if they had advertising geared toward females?

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by CreepProphet

I dunno, the boob ads just don't work for me. I always watch the videos. 

I wonder if they've done marketing polls on how much they'd make if they had advertising geared toward females?

Women AND Gay men!  We have so much disposable income!

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Apparently sex sells. It's a revelation in marketing.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    It gets people to look, yes.  But does it get people to buy your product?  I think it's rather less effective there than at getting people to look in the first place, unless perhaps what you're selling is page views to advertisers.  One study found that sexy ads made people more likely to look at an ad in the first place, but less likely to remember what it was an advertisement for.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I am NOT awkward!!

Naw, I don't take it as an insult, it's just human nature, sex sells. There are half dressed women in beer comercials and there are shirtless guys on the cover of romance novels. 

This goes well beyond selling to nerdy gamers. Using half dressed models to sell products goes beyond any one industry. I mean have you seen some of the perfume commercials?

*And durring sweeps weeks those trusted news programs do hard hitting stories on nudist colonies, apparently they want to get to the 'bottom' of the story*