Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift is Far More Dynamic Than GW2

13»

Comments

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Why is everyone so focused on the dynamic events only.  If you truly want to look at both games dynamics then you cannot just brush aside GW2's dynamic leveling system as well.  Anyone can pop into WvW and enjoy it because of the dynamic leveling system as well as the zones.  If I am level 80 and my friend just starts I can go to his starting zone and run with him without any problems because of the way dynamic leveling works with the zones in GW2.  So now ginving that information I would say GW2 hands down offers much more in the department of dynamic game play.  Rift has nothing to compete with this side of the dynamic discussion.
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Soraksis
    Why is everyone so focused on the dynamic events only.  If you truly want to look at both games dynamics then you cannot just brush aside GW2's dynamic leveling system as well.  Anyone can pop into WvW and enjoy it because of the dynamic leveling system as well as the zones.  If I am level 80 and my friend just starts I can go to his starting zone and run with him without any problems because of the way dynamic leveling works with the zones in GW2.  So now ginving that information I would say GW2 hands down offers much more in the department of dynamic game play.  Rift has nothing to compete with this side of the dynamic discussion.

This isn't a very good argument against Rift...

Rift has a mentoring system that lets you scale down as you please I believe. So it's optional if someone wants to scale down to play with their buddies. GW2 it is mandatory if you go down to lower zones.

Both methods have pros and cons associated with them.

Btw I don't know how the scaling works that well in Rift, as I haven't played the game when that was implemented. I just know of it.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

OMFGGGGGGGGGG..  Both Rift and GW2 use computer code to create their events.. NONE of them are truely random created content.. They are all FIXED once they are popped..  The only thing random is the trigger on both games.. Whether it be the rifts or whatever..  I played Rift and every "Fire" rift in whatever zone is coded the same way.. So depending on how the population zone reacts will effect the outcome.. This isn't much different then GW2 events, other the in Rift they are zone wide events, whereas GW2, they are localized..

I actually like GW2 better because they are scaled to the size of the population (group) doing the event.. Unless things have changed since I quit Rift, once a nasty rift event starts and it's early morning when no one is on, your'e screwed.. It was a no win scenerio in defending the quest hubs and town from rift invasions.. And is you were on at night when the servers are busier, it was a simple ZERGfest with no challenge.. 

From where I sit.. GW2 events are better.. but we are subjective to what we like and don't :)

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Trion is still on top when it comes to dynamic content in themepark MMO's.   I remember over the summer when most people ragged on Rift's dynamic content while touting how much more dynamic GW2 would be.

I enjoy a lot of things about GW2 but there is very little in terms of truly dynamic content.

Prove it. 

http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/

End of thread  :)

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Trion is still on top when it comes to dynamic content in themepark MMO's.   I remember over the summer when most people ragged on Rift's dynamic content while touting how much more dynamic GW2 would be.

I enjoy a lot of things about GW2 but there is very little in terms of truly dynamic content.

Prove it. 

So you think that Rift is more dynamic because GW2 has a few timed events?

In GW2 there are quest chains where you start off by completing a event, then a new event spawns because of the success or failure of that event in which upon completion a new event begins determined by the success and failure of the previous event, and after the subsequent event is completed a new event will start up depending on the success or failure of that event.

In Rift, the game vomits a bunch of mobs out onto the map and people can team up to defeat the mobs.  Exciting stuff. And once you defeated those mobs, the game will vomit more for you until finally the game vomits the big chunky bits and its all over. 

GW2 events follow a subplot to the storyline, and each part of the chain allows the player to take part in progressing the story. It would almost be comparable, if the events in Rift had a storyline, but storyline requires creative writers and nobody is accusing Rift of having creativity.  I think the creativity in Rift peaked with, we're not in the land of the game we copied anymore.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Nsein1Nsein1 Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Prove it. 

In GW2 there are quest chains where you start off by completing a event, then a new event spawns because of the success or failure of that event in which upon completion a new event begins determined by the success and failure of the previous event, and after the subsequent event is completed a new event will start up depending on the success or failure of that event.

In Rift, the game vomits a bunch of mobs out onto the map and people can team up to defeat the mobs.  Exciting stuff. And once you defeated those mobs, the game will vomit more for you until finally the game vomits the big chunky bits and its all over. 

GW2 events follow a subplot to the storyline, and each part of the chain allows the player to take part in progressing the story. It would almost be comparable, if the events in Rift had a storyline, but storyline requires creative writers and nobody is accusing Rift of having creativity.  I think the creativity in Rift peaked with, we're not in the land of the game we copied anymore.

You can't argue against a fanboy, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with years of experience.

End of thread :)

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Nsein1
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Prove it. 

You can't argue against a fanboy, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with years of experience.

End of thread :)

I didn't call you a fanboy, and I have no idea about how much gaming experience you have, as your mmorpg account was just made the other day.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by fat_taddler Trion is still on top when it comes to dynamic content in themepark MMO's.   I remember over the summer when most people ragged on Rift's dynamic content while touting how much more dynamic GW2 would be.   I enjoy a lot of things about GW2 but there is very little in terms of truly dynamic content.
    Prove it. 

Players have acces to upwards of 50 types of rift lures and trigger them in a persistent world. They range from crafts, puzzles, pvp, raid sized and dozens of bosses that can be summoned.

For the record, i dont think either style of dynamic content can be compared because they deliver it in very different ways. But i do feel that rifts are more player controlled and the option to create objective based pvp in the open world gives rift the edge for innovation.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Name one event in GW2 that doesn't take place in the same spot every time on a set schedule or when someone talks to the appropriate NPC.

Any PvP event for starters.

Ya people doing things are dynamic, you think this up all by yourself?  Try again.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

This is how I see it:

The rifts in Rift feel a bit more dynamic despite the fact theres a random number generator behind the scenes laughing at us. However, the rifts lack the depth that the other content in rift displays. As someone said before, they are a well advertised gimmick.

GW2 on the other hand has it's dynamic events. They feel very dynamic the first time you encounter them. You're walking along and an NPC randomly flags you down and asks for your help. No other game gives you that. No other game gets the game itself to ask you to play it. But what the system lacks is variety. Sure it has the depth and a whole metric butt-ton of attention to detail, but there isn't much else outside of scenario A, B, and C(there are more obviously). What I do like is that what NPC's say generally comes true. "A few more gears and the canon will be ready to fight the shatterer"...bring him the gears and in comes the shatterer. Or an NPC talking in hushed tones about raiding a farm and then 5 minutes later....BAM! farm raid.

Both systems have dynamics at their core and are intended to be as such, but they fall short on things that would make them truly dynamic. However what's more unnerving is that a truly dynamic system is impossible. You could make a system that changes based on what the players do but it is still bound to a set of rules and criteria and if none of the criteria are ever met then the system doesn't move. Unless a company can find a way to pump out new "dynamic events" every day or every few hours I fear we may never see a truly dynamic system..