Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE/prosieben - No preload - No forums?

SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

So we don't have access to forums, EU players like myself have no idea what'll happen with our SOE accounts with alpha packs and how we're going to turn them to Prosieben.

Theres no preload before release so we'll be killing steams download servers, and no forums to discuss any of it because everything brings you to the countdown screen.

Somehow I'm not very confident release day is going to go smoothly, love the game but this seems.. Messy.

Comments

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    If you already have a standing SOE account as an EU player you DO NOT need to create a pro7 account and link them, they changed this a few months back when Smed made a Twitt about it. Only  EU players that are creating new accounts will only be able to creat pro7 accounts. 
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    SOE, as usual, is flirting with disaster by making people wait till launch day to download the client.  I have very little hope of a clean, relatively problem free launch for this game.  It's exactly this kind of crap that makes me want to return to DVD purchases and screw digital distribution.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Was also wondering why and how with this matter.
    Launchday tomorow and only 1 countdown timer and no acces to the client download or forums makes me a little nervous.

Crossing fingers all goes well :P

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    It's not just EU players... I'm in NA, beta client uninstalled because the forums SPECIFIED it wouldn't be updated, and I'd need to DL a new client.  No client but yet a silly countdown.  1PM EST tomm, do I get to RACE a DL of a client?  I can imagine that back log... may just download overnight and play on the 21st instead.
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

They would be foolish to let everyone pre-download and then kill the servers when everyone tries to log in.

There's logic behind it as people will trickle in as their downloads finish, rather than the usual hell that MMO's experience when the flood gates open.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

They have already stated that there won't be a preload due to them doing bugfixes etc 'till the last minute.

Wouldn't hurt to follow them on Twitter (Or better yet: Smedley). Lots of info there, especially with the forums down.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Same problem with them doing it that I have when MMORPG.com does it.  I don't twit.  I don't think people care for me to summarize my entire essence into 100 words... the fact that these companies think this is a valid practice infuriates me.  Post to a damned forum so everyone can see it.  Bam.  problem solved... especially when the FORUM ALREADY EXISTS... take down the stupid ass countdown that is USELESS and put your forum back up.
  • templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181

Yea, how stupid. So this game launch in 3 hours and no one will be able to play! So technically this game only launch 21 Nov. 

Almost every other online game at least had a "head start" thing.

To top it off, SOE didn't think it important to actually have a website telling you about the game with videos, trailers and FORUMS ?!! What the hell? How are they going to attract new players with just a countdown counter? 

It's like a complete blackout. Can't decide if they are idiots or secretly running for the hills .

*boggle*

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357
    This is classic SoE failure. Rush somethng that isn't ready and make it a mess at launch. I'm having flash backs of Vanguard already.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by skeptical
    This is classic SoE failure. Rush somethng that isn't ready and make it a mess at launch. I'm having flash backs of Vanguard already.

Vanguard was originally released a mess by a completely different company Sigil Games Online, and was only co-published by SOE.

Personally, I've never experienced major issues with launches of games developed by SOE, although they do come off a bit rough.

Either way, back to OP,  I REALLY wish there was an option available for pre-launch download. I could care less about forums, but I'd like to get the download kickstarted now so it's at least close to ready come launch time. But I guess I'll have to let it download while I'm at work and play tomorrow.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

With the range of different broadband speeds, this will act as a steady feed of players, rather than a pre load mass assault on the servers.   Just one of  those things if you're on the lower end of the broadband  speeds or issues with your package bandwidth cap to be chilled about, you'll play soon enough. Chances are the start time today will be be a couple hours off until the gates open.  This is IT, coding etc, things never go to plan.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I know right? No preload means download servers are gonna be crammed for a few days, I'm going to try and DL it from Steam.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I have a 100MB line open, hope to pull it in fast, but my guts tell me that it will take hours of hours to download it as it their download server is going to crash the upcomming 24 hours.

Why they have to do it this way is beyond insanity.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Download is going amazingly well at this point. I'm at 55% already.

I guess SOE setup some serious download servers... image

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

It's not the download servers. You are getting those speeds because the majority can't even reach the site, yet alone the download link.

Everyone is hammering Steam right now... as that at least works. Eventho my download speeds have dwindled. But at least I am downloading.

Better than staring at the crashed SOE sites. :-(

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

It's not the download servers. You are getting those speeds because the majority can't even reach the site, yet alone the download link.

Everyone is hammering Steam right now... as that at least works. Eventho my download speeds have dwindled. But at least I am downloading.

Better than staring at the crashed SOE sites. :-(

SOE site has crashed ? I seem to be able to reach it with no problems, but I'm probably just lucky then.

My download (direct from SOE) has just finished, cya later image

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

my question is that i have an original sony account with 1600 points on it.but when i look at it ,it says that i cannot play ps2 through this account..says i have to go to prosieben.i am kind of dumbfounded has to what to do has i,m also d/loading the steam version.

i know someone has said in an earlier post that i can link the account.but according to my sony account i cant.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by kevjards

my question is that i have an original sony account with 1600 points on it.but when i look at it ,it says that i cannot play ps2 through this account..says i have to go to prosieben.i am kind of dumbfounded has to what to do has i,m also d/loading the steam version.

i know someone has said in an earlier post that i can link the account.but according to my sony account i cant.

IAmMMO claimed that in post #2, and he is WRONG.

EU players can ONLY play PS2 with SOE accounts if they played the beta. Just head over to http://www.planetside2.com/ and click the "play free" button to see that for yourselves. It doesn't matter where you download from, Steam or elsewhere, it's your physical logation that decides.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Netspook
    Originally posted by kevjards

IAmMMO claimed that in post #2, and he is WRONG.

EU players can ONLY play PS2 with SOE accounts if they played the beta. Just head over to http://www.planetside2.com/ and click the "play free" button to see that for yourselves. It doesn't matter where you download from, Steam or elsewhere, it's your physical logation that decides.

actually i had to uninstall steam and d/load directly from that prob.site.only problem is when i run the launcher it does fuck all..i have created an account at pro sieben or whatever they are called and am trying to download but it wont at all. i ran it.then i saved the exe file and still nothing.my account has registered and it lets me log in just no luck with getting the game to d/load..p.s i didnt know about the beta so steam was useless to me.only gave me US version and would'nt let me change it to UK.