Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2's Epic Special Event

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I can understand why you guys are so pissed but think about it. Which other MMO tries to make large scale events like this? I still remember the opening of the Gates of Ahn Quiraj in WoW. These sort of epic server wide events should happen a lot more often in MMO imo. These are the things I wwas imagining when someone talked to me about MMOs for the first time. True, this one might have been buggy and laggy but quiting a game which you otherwise enjoy over this? Also I am guessing if they carry on with these world events they would get smoother and smoother :)

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    Honestly, I played it and got bored with it. It was a long event. Everyone kept dying and the bosses did not impress me. Seemed like we were spamming keys and the lag spikes sucked. I wasn't impressed with the whole event. I expected, more. So buggy. Halloween was much better.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Anybody surprised about who got bored and who didn't?

I missed phase 2, phase 1 was alright, phase 3 was fun, I had to set my graphics to "Best Performance." to decrease lag. Some had their setting on high and then some just had weak ass computers, eh well it happens. Oh and sometimes it's just server side and then it can be all 3 issues.

Rewards where worth it though, some logged off thinking it was karma and that's it.

Not bad for their first content patch. 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Yeah,its obviously clear why someone who missed the even would be pissed...cant blame you.

Dunno why they couldnt just set the event to an hour or so reset after its initially comepleted.With those who already participated and completed the event prior getting not so great loot the second time around or having the chest be unaccessible.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by tank017

Yeah,its obviously clear why someone who missed the even would be pissed...cant blame you.

Dunno why they couldnt just set the event to an hour or so reset after its initially comepleted.With those who already participated and completed the event prior getting not so great loot the second time around or having the chest be unaccessible.

this is the exact reason I feel not many companes have ventured into the more sandboxy community run type games.. it's the I'm entitled to see and get everything mentality that has plagued this genre for so many years.. I'm very glad anet has stuck to having one-time events.. as long as they can continue to do it often and fix the lag issues it should give people plenty of chances to participate in them.. also making them repeat over and over really takes the feeling away from the "big event" going on.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AsabellAsabell Member Posts: 18
    When all was said and done it turned out to be pretty good ,I didn't have any lag in the 3rd part but my eyes got a little tired .My only other experience with an event was the first one in Rift where 85% of the folks in my guild (myself included ) couldn't even log into the servers for the end of the event .
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

this is the exact reason I feel not many companes have ventured into the more sandboxy community run type games.. it's the I'm entitled to see and get everything mentality that has plagued this genre for so many years.. I'm very glad anet has stuck to having one-time events.. as long as they can continue to do it often and fix the lag issues it should give people plenty of chances to participate in them.. also making them repeat over and over really takes the feeling away from the "big event" going on.

This event was neither sandboxy or community run. It was like any other DE/Heart in the game. Just longer and laggier. 

They also seem to do them at the same time, everytime (and that appears to be their plan always from hearing them speak on it). So the people that are left out, will always be left out (of anything that lasts a couple of hours). 

I'd love more sandboxy and community driven features (or an MMO that did those things). This was staged themepark stuff.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

This event was neither sandboxy or community run. It was like any other DE/Heart in the game. Just longer and laggier. 

They have also only done these events at the same time. So the people that are left out, will always be left out (of anything that lasts a couple of hours). 

of course it wasn't and that wasn't my point at all.. nm

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Yeah, I can also see it your way too..

it brings back memories of vanilla Everquest,when devs would actually enter the game as monsters while running their one time events.It was a mixture of community anger from those who missed it and greed from Sony themselves relegating the events to special servers where you had to pay more.Which meant no more events at all on the normal servers.

that really bummed me out.

but,these days you'll be having a lot more people angry if they miss out on something,.we'll see if Anet readjusts or sticks to their guns.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Originally posted by Vhaln

I thought it was almost unanimous, seemed like everyone hated the event.  The official forums were looking really brutal for a while there.  I didn't think there was anything redeeming about it whatsoever, and now there's this pointless half-assed new zone in the game.. I'm actually surprised to see anyone saying anything positive about it at all.

Now that impressions are more mixed, my OP loses the impact I'd intended, and it looks like more of the same old back and forth.   Oh well.

So you created this thread to start some pointless flame war? I never thought you would be somebody who would do that.

Oh well, enjoy being reported.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I loved the final event and everyone on my server (Jade Quarry) that was in the overflow I was in had lots of fun.

We were joking like 24/7, worked hard all together to get through it and some parts were truly epic. :)

Only experienced lag for like 2 minutes in the second reinforcements phase with a lot of us grabbing guns from the weapons crate at the karka camp and others using the mortars near to get the karkas down much faster than in the first reinforcements phase.

Was still playable and with barely any delay at all.

The main lag I experienced was the guild chat that wouldn't respond partially.

I heard from my collegue though that it was frustrating on the EU server he was on, cause they had huge lag and for several seconds/minutes. :(

So they used a skill, nothing happen, were frozen still and then all of sudden all played in a fast forward manner in which they were already dead.

Happy it didn't happen to my server so I ended up with 2 rares, 2 exotics and out of the chest the 20 slots bag and the exotic accessory.

For the amount and type of rewards we got, I think the difficulty and time the event lasted was fair.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    The rewards I heard are huge and very unusualy in GW2. A lot of players got precursors for finishing the event chain. Seems like playing regularly is a waste of time. I never got an exotic in hundreds of hours playing. I am not ranting, something feels a little off, tho.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

After my server melted at LA event and rest of the event chains were broken i knew it would be better to completely pass the event. I made the right decision.

Where is quality control Anet? seriously!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Yeah I heard about those rewards from my guildies. Thing is, phase 1 and 2 made me so sick of this event that I didnt even want to bother with phase 3. And then they told me about the rewards. Which was just like poking an already open wound. Atm I am not really happy with Arenanet. The only thing that made phase 2 still kind of bearable was a spontaneous party, from players who decided to dance near the ancient karka instead of trying to kill that bugged bastard. Made some nice screenshots.

If they decide not to plan any more of those one time epic events, I won't blame them. I really hope they get Winterfest working from start.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

After my server melted at LA event and rest of the event chains were broken i knew it would be better to completely pass the event. I made the right decision.

Where is quality control Anet? seriously!

You missed out on a great event, and he'll Anet was playing it. We had 2 on the overflow I was running on. Enjoying it up and joking with all of us.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by romanator0
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Now that impressions are more mixed, my OP loses the impact I'd intended, and it looks like more of the same old back and forth.   Oh well.

So you created this thread to start some pointless flame war? I never thought you would be somebody who would do that.

That's not what I meant, but thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt.  I just meant that the link to the official forums spoke for itself, when I posted it.

Otherwise, I might have posted something more than just the link.  Maybe given my own experience, opinion, etc - which was the intent of that post you quoted - and not to start a flame war.  Just to show what a mess the event has been, IMO.  

If more people were in agreement, as I'd originally thought, that would mean less arguing (or "flaming") than I'd expected.  Not more.  Course that was a bit naive of me, but I was feeling so frustrated, I probably wasn't thinking clearly.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I hope ANet realizes that not everyone lives in US / EU as the oceanic players got shafted on this one.

Due the horrendous QA issues and login, I didn't have much fun (if any) and went back to alts / Orr.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I can live with the lag issues. Although the lag during the first invasion in LA made the game unplayable. My slot skills didn't even respond.

But it is the bugged npcs that block your progress that were so aggrevating for me. And because of the one time event scenario, this time there is a deadline for you because the npc will be gone at some point. Which means that if you want to complete it, you have to keep checking that same npc.

I already wasted a lot of time with trying to complete maps and having to wait for bugged skill challenges to be fixed. The most annoying part is that I couldnt really be sure if they were fixed after an update without having to maptravel there (wasting coin every time) to check. And then if you get disappointed often enough, because the fixes didn't fix that particular npc (in one map it took over a week), you get really sick and tired of this. Fortunately this has improved now, but it makes it all the more annoying to encounter the same crap with event npcs.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I didn't had much time to play this weekend due to irl stuff, kinda sad i missed it.

I'm sure there will be more events in the furure.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by korent1991

At the beginning it was horrible because the lagg was just unbearable... In phase 2 it stopped lagging mostly and it was really good all the way till the end.

I finished it and it was pretty cool when I sum everything up, the rewards are even better! :D But I really hope they fix this sh** with laggs on big events, it's really not something they can afford repeating.

I had an unique exp. which no other mmorpg ever offered. Pretty cool.

The Matrix Online was built entirely around live events, it was great while it lasted.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I got disconnected after playing the event for 2 hours (which was senseless grind). Logged back into an overflow with no one in it and the event not even started. Logged out, watched football.

Id give the weekend a C for effort. They tried, they just failed to fully deliver.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    The rewards I heard are huge and very unusualy in GW2. A lot of players got precursors for finishing the event chain. Seems like playing regularly is a waste of time. I never got an exotic in hundreds of hours playing. I am not ranting, something feels a little off, tho.

I would have been happy to get a decorative memento. I play for fun, not loot. But given the bugs, I didnt get much fun, or any loot.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by jpnz

I hope ANet realizes that not everyone lives in US / EU as the oceanic players got shafted on this one.

Due the horrendous QA issues and login, I didn't have much fun (if any) and went back to alts / Orr.

Not QA but massive influx of people who ran to 80 and then left. They came back for this event in droves. I play on an EU server (an American in a EU guild) and there was lag for me but I was too busy with my PS to do the event but my guildies were initially aggrivated became elated at the end and were raving how great the event was. And yes, all of my guildies from the EU were up[ and playing.

It is not QA issues - not like WoW and others have. A.Net learned from all their mistakes in GW1 what to do and not do.

It was a ONE TIME EVENT - what part of ONE TIME EVENT don't you get? It means ONE TIME! In Rift they say one time, but what they mean is - every few hours (which makes it boring as hell).

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by jpnz

Not QA but massive influx of people who ran to 80 and then left. They came back for this event in droves. I play on an EU server (an American in a EU guild) and there was lag for me but I was too busy with my PS to do the event but my guildies were initially aggrivated became elated at the end and were raving how great the event was. And yes, all of my guildies from the EU were up[ and playing.

It is not QA issues - not like WoW and others have. A.Net learned from all their mistakes in GW1 what to do and not do.

It was a ONE TIME EVENT - what part of ONE TIME EVENT don't you get? It means ONE TIME! In Rift they say one time, but what they mean is - every few hours (which makes it boring as hell).

I would still call that a QA issue. I mean they caused this. It was the second time they had attempted a large event. Then they stacked a million trial users ontop of their existing playerbase. Tons of people had issues. 

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Everyone who finished the event gained 2 rares, 2 exotics, 1 exotic accessory, 1 20-slot bag... very nice :)

See here lies the problem with one time events.

Many people couldn't be there. Some where "gasp" a sleep. Some had to be at family events. 

Then you have the laundry list of people that got kicked out mid event.. Some of those couldn't log back in. If you did log back in you may not be in the same overflow... You might end up in one where the event is already completed.

How do you think those people feel about this "one time event".

Pretty much agree with this assessment. I get buggered out of events like this pretty much all the time. I missed this one, of course, but so it goes.  Sucks, though, when you are unable to participate, and sucks worse in your case when you put in the time only to get booted and not be rewarded.