Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2's Epic Special Event

VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Anyone curious how it's going, check out the forum

forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/lostshores 

WTF happened, ANet???

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Yeah it's been awful.. I gave up in the middle of phase 2.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    If they are proposing for events being the only real change from "Farm or WvW or Dungeon" they really need it to be working smoothly and really make it fun, particularly with the lack in the pve department (don't you dare list generic things to do that every game out there has already). Oh well, as much as I dislike the game I hope for those non-fanboys who enjoy it that they get their stuff together.
  • MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

I just finished it - I really enjoyed it tbh, except the waves of reinforcements where you had to kill the ancient Karka - Got some pretty awesome loot out of it to ;o

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Maggon

I just finished it - I really enjoyed it tbh, except the waves of reinforcements where you had to kill the ancient Karka - Got some pretty awesome loot out of it to ;o

Little bit ago, it was thread after thread of pure rage and disappointment, but now its all about the loot.  Wonder which way it'll turn next.

I didn't get any loot, because I just got so bored of the whole thing and logged off. 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

At the beginning it was horrible because the lagg was just unbearable... In phase 2 it stopped lagging mostly and it was really good all the way till the end.

I finished it and it was pretty cool when I sum everything up, the rewards are even better! :D But I really hope they fix this sh** with laggs on big events, it's really not something they can afford repeating.

I had an unique exp. which no other mmorpg ever offered. Pretty cool.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    final event was over 2 hours long.. don't think i have even done an event of that scale like that in a MMO ever and aside from some bad lag spikes now and then really enjoyed it. We got almost wiped so many times was crazy but we all pulled through and defeated the ancient. Hopefully in the future they can figure out how to get these types of events going without the lag... just too many people

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I didn't bother to log in tbh. I knew it would be a lag fest with a gazillion people everywhere. I prefer events when there are less people and I can actually play =p
  • MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Little bit ago, it was thread after thread of pure rage and disappointment, but now its all about the loot.  Wonder which way it'll turn next.

I didn't get any loot, because I just got so bored of the whole thing and logged off. 

I havent looked on the official forums about this at all, so I can't say - but as I mentioned above, I really enjoyed the event besides the reinforcement part of the ancient karka, having to cause rock slides and what not on it to lure it back to its cave was quite enjoyable.

Very long event however, over 2 hours ;o

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

event took 2.5 hours on my overflow server.

Personally i enjoyed it :) Just that the reinforcement waves took way to long.

and a 20bag slot at the end .. FUUUUUUUUUUCK YEA i needed that, thx anet ;P

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,110

Was LAGGY.......I got disconected once, ended up in another overflow, in the end I ended up looting a few rares, a nice box with some stuff, a piece of exotic armor, and "The Hunter" used to make a legendary xD

So I'm happy.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I enjoyed it.  Yes it was long, but I didn't really experience any lag (I don't deny some experienced it though).  Loot was good at the end. 
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I spent about 2 hours working on phase 3 in an overflow server. The server slowly choked until everyone had 10+ seconds of cast time (not kidding). We tried to struggle forward with it, then we started to get kicked out.

At that point I could not get back to the overflow I was in. 

In short I ended up missing out on any loot. It was a miserable, buggy and rather predicable zerg event.

I'm probably moving toward taking a long break from this game and heading back to greener pastures. 

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    I liked the event.  It was a little long, but very epic.  I got 3 exotics out of the chest at the end.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I thought it was almost unanimous, seemed like everyone hated the event.  The official forums were looking really brutal for a while there.  I didn't think there was anything redeeming about it whatsoever, and now there's this pointless half-assed new zone in the game.. I'm actually surprised to see anyone saying anything positive about it at all.

Now that impressions are more mixed, my OP loses the impact I'd intended, and it looks like more of the same old back and forth.   Oh well.

• DuviousDuvious Member Posts: 116

ditto, although I missed Friday's 2pm CST event which upset me a bit but other than that no complaints.  Really laggy though, game crashed 3X for me today.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I liked it..

the event was fun imo,didnt experience much lag either

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    it was terrible imo.  the enemys did nothing interesting,  aside from the ones that rolled.  it was standing and pressing buttons for 2 hours or so.  too many spell fx,  lag,  and just plain boring.  
  • GandolfiGandolfi Member Posts: 43

I came away feeling rather let down - spent nearly two hours in the event, which was indeed truly epic, but in the end ruined by lag - Gunnar's Hold server in EU

Finally the game became unplayable as lag reached the point where combat was slower than pencil and paper D&D and finally lost connection and the game still won't reconnect now. My rig and connection normally run the game like greased lightning at max graphic settings.

Now I find out I've missed out on 13 gold worth of 20-slot bag which would have been really handy.

Normally I am GW2's biggest fanboy but feeling somewhat grumpy about the whole thing now. Back to levelling alts tomorrow I guess...

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Worked like a charm for me. Had a LOT of fun. Enjoyed it immensely.

Got some nice loot at the end (of which nothing was usable by the character I was playing except for the accessory and the bag). But at that point, the loot wasn't important any more. What's important is that I was part of it and it that it was friggin' epic.

I don't know why people keep complaining about some glitches or rough edges at the beginning. Yeah, I started out with unplayable lag and persevered through it. I will remember this event for a long time.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Everyone who finished the event gained 2 rares, 2 exotics, 1 exotic accessory, 1 20-slot bag... very nice :)
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Everyone who finished the event gained 2 rares, 2 exotics, 1 exotic accessory, 1 20-slot bag... very nice :)

See here lies the problem with one time events.

Many people couldn't be there. Some where "gasp" a sleep. Some had to be at family events. 

Then you have the laundry list of people that got kicked out mid event.. Some of those couldn't log back in. If you did log back in you may not be in the same overflow... You might end up in one where the event is already completed.

How do you think those people feel about this "one time event".

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

GW2 is about the World.. Not the individual Player.. I think this is the route all MMOs should go... It makes the world seem more alive and real. It increases the immersion that the world truly does live on without everyone being there.

This event was awesome. I was there for this one I missed the one time event on Halloween. To me it was great hearing about that one.

One of the problems I have had with MMOs since their beginning is how Static they are.  They feel many times so Lifeless. These events change that.

EQ1 used to have GM ran events back in the day. They would be one time events. If you were there that was great. If you werent you would hear the stories about them, it really did add to the immersion.

Today the players of the world beat back a threat, that threat is gone. In most MMOs like RIFT.. Its look we beat back the threat. 30 minutes later ohh look the threat is back.

Kudos to Anet. As long as they also continue to put lasting updates in as well. I see these as being great.

Ohh and I did experiance lag a few times. Overall it ran well. I got dropped once during the event. IT was laggy right before the drop. I logged back in and the lag was gone. IN 2 and a half hours I probably got 5 minutes of laggyness.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Loved it, no lag, no fps drop like on phase 1, It was the best event i have ever done in any mmo, pure 10/10. Can't wait for more events like this. Thumbs up A net !
  • DuviousDuvious Member Posts: 116
    I was able to use the exotic short bow, exotic boots and of course karka accesory and 20 slot karka bag.  I think the only things I coulnd't use was a hammer and some gloves which were both exotic I believe?  Maybe rare?  Outside of the loot thought you guys are right, it was a boring button mashing fest with mad lag for 2+ hours.  Had to do over again though considering the loot, I would.  :)
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I was a big fan of the Halloween event but this event overall was a huge,bug ridden and technical mess and for the first time has me considerig stopping palying GW2 for awhile and if th enext event is similar I probably will.