Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

300$ for 2 characters?

Comments

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by koljane
    People who care about players left Bioware, rest of them are only drons that do as the master said.
    lol. WRONG! the only people who left bioware were those that got other jobs or could afford to "walk away". the rest just got canned. the ones that left on their own free will did so cus they knew what was comin. they didnt go because they "cared about the people". news flash: no company cares about the people.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by kharlan

you get to keep already created chars and can play them all

Until they find the solution to revoke them (they said it earlier)

Edit: Frodo was faster, /hats off

And how exactly is that different from any other F2P transition?  LotRO does the same thing, for example...

You make me like charity

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by thamighty213
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by DAHBOO

I purchased the game and paid every month since and now if i go down to prefered i can only keep 2 of my characters active.

WTF?

Wait until you log in and notice you have only two quickslot bars available, making the game totally unplayable at 50.

Boohoo spend the £2 it costs to get them back account wide or buy them for credits from someone.

EA and Bioware won then - they forced you to spend money for stuff that should be part of the standard game's UI. You supported a new level of greed in F2P games. After inventory slots, or skills, they now also sell you parts of the UI.

/golfclap.

Did you even read what I wrote.

They havent forced you to spend diddly squat,  you can buy the unlocks from other players for CREDITS.    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPEND A PENNY ON UNLOCKS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO THEY CAN ALL BE ATTAINED WITH IN GAME CREDITS FROM OTHER PLAYERS.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by asmkm22

And how exactly is that different from any other F2P transition?  LotRO does the same thing, for example...

Who said anything about difference? I only corrected a false info. If you check what I said earlier, as soon as they announced there will be a char.slot unlock option in Market I said then this restriction is ok now. It doesn't effect that other parts of this so-called f2p model stink :)

And wrong, no other f2p transition did that before with a delay. A decent company did it right at the conversion, not "we will, soon, but first we have to find out how to do it"...  but it's EA :)

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Am i suppose to play along here for the cicle jerk against swtor, or should I point out there is free cartel coins earned from previous subscriptions and actually works out that the person gets the U.I. for free and other perks for free from earned CC for free.

And the benefit is playing the same game for free. The only real restriction that needs a contant pass for even casual play is OPs. For Ops a person needs to get a pass, or they can play casually and have access to all the content and use what ever free cartel coins to get all the other accounts to have a 'full' preferred status.

I think the QA of swtor should high light... what is the full status of a unlocked f2p account that is account wide as a 'preferred status' account.

Also... incase people missed it... due to the MMORPG.com orgasmic heat stink of tidal splooge that drowns its victims out in waves and can only swim with the current... well heres a life saver... and think for a moment. Paying subs got free cartel coins. This thread is clearly trolling.

You have fed the troll. In fact, I belive the problem with swtor is not that its a bad game, its certainly just as good as WoW but with a few less features but lvling is better, and combat has its own merits in comparison to WoW... but... people just like to hate on swtor so much that its loses any hype. And maybe that hate is justified from certain perspectives... but I believe its just counter productive. People should express what they want rather than hating on something in hopes that it crashes and burns... especially when the game is as large as swtor... its going to stick around for a while. So hating on something that actually contributes to its slow death is worse than allowing a game to grow and produce content to make it fun. 

Basically by trolling this game, people are saying there is nothing swtor can do to redeem itself and its fair-game to troll the game even with false accusations. I dont like being misled or bamboozled with deceptions, even if its meant for entertainment. I just dont like to be the butt of the joke.

Tyvm.

You can go back to what ever it was your doing, and have a good day.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Incomparable

Am i suppose to play along here for the cicle jerk against swtor, or should I point out there is free cartel coins earned from previous subscriptions and actually works out that the person gets the U.I. for free and other perks for free from earned CC for free.

You aren't allowed into the circle since you don't even realize that you have to resubscribe to redeem the "free" cartel coins, so you main point is moot.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

You aren't allowed into the circle since you don't even realize that you have to resubscribe to redeem the "free" cartel coins, so you main point is moot.

^

This

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

The simple fact is.. If you like the game keep paying the 15 a month. 

This F2P stuff is just here to hook new blood. Nothing more. 

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Tayah
    They're milking people for all they can before they close it down for good.

If shit like STO and DCUO can keep chugging along.. So can this, I mean it is a better game than both of those put together. If I had to compare it to anything right now.. I'd say its "close" to the same boat as LOTRO F2P. 

Originally posted by Jyiiga

The simple fact is.. If you like the game keep paying the 15 a month. 

This F2P stuff is just here to hook new blood. Nothing more. 

The simple fact is, more than 1.5million already stopped paying the 15$, and the game is the same, there was no correction or fix or anything.

This F2P stuff is just here to put a cash shop in game, and definitely not to hook new blood. But it was obvious right when they detailed the model.

Originally posted by Jyiiga
    Originally posted by Tayah
    They're milking people for all they can before they close it down for good.

If shit like STO and DCUO can keep chugging along.. So can this, I mean it is a better game than both of those put together. If I had to compare it to anything right now.. I'd say its "close" to the same boat as LOTRO F2P. 

The exact opposite, "shit like STO and DCUO" were quite empty, and made a model to hook new blood, as you said. And they did it successfully, both games are live, with regular updates (both got 2 or 3 I think since switched to f2p). EA could've copy their model, if the plan is a playerbase increase. Of course, the plan was not that.

LotRO's boat was totally different, it was a solid game, but after the DDO conversion Turbine (more precisely WB) wanted more money. And the model is also different, because LotRO's model is based on subscription increase, just as STO or DCUO. Their conversion was a succesful one as well, opened 2 more servers, made 2 expansions, and after 2 years the playerbase is still there.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

I like the game, I have fun and I am a huge star wars fan, as such Im a subscriber and ill continue to be.

People who like the game and want to be able to access every part of it should subscribe like me. F2P is for people who want to play the stories and pretty much thats it. Even if you have to pay 10 euros/ dollars, to unlock 2 extra bars thats cheap for such a rich game story wise.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Same with Age of Conan. It was even more restrictive then, because you could only use 4 (out of 12, basically they let you choose between a tank, melee DPS, ranged DPS or healer) classes, and 2 chars total (of course, since it's F2P you could make more than 1 account to play more chars). If you had played at release (back then you had 8 char slots) then you could choose 2 of your previous characters to unlock, even if it was one of the restricted classes, the rest were still locked but would be available to play if you subscribed.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Same with Age of Conan. It was even more restrictive then, because you could only use 4 (out of 12, basically they let you choose between a tank, melee DPS, ranged DPS or healer) classes, and 2 chars total (of course, since it's F2P you could make more than 1 account to play more chars). If you had played at release (back then you had 8 char slots) then you could choose 2 of your previous characters to unlock, even if it was one of the restricted classes, the rest were still locked but would be available to play if you subscribed.

Agreed. This whole model is similar to AoC's (not only character slot-wise). That's why I keep saying it's only about the cash shop... And as you barely can find free players in AoC, you won't find any here after a few months probably. Damn, how long we tried to tell Funcom on the forum that this model is wrong... until we realised it's only about the cash shop and not about new players.

Edit: not to mention how lame was the class pick, f2p's could choose from the best tank, one of the best stygian (demo), a good dps machine (barb), and the weakest healer :) but that's offtopic

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Jyiiga The simple fact is.. If you like the game keep paying the 15 a month.    This F2P stuff is just here to hook new blood. Nothing more. 
    The simple fact is, more than 1.5million already stopped paying the 15$, and the game is the same, there was no correction or fix or anything.

This F2P stuff is just here to put a cash shop in game, and definitely not to hook new blood. But it was obvious right when they detailed the model.

That doesn't even make sense. If they didn't want new players in the game, then they wouldn't have a F2P option.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VahidVahid Member UncommonPosts: 55

The OP was concerned that, even though he bought the game and pays sub fees every month, if he went free-to-play in the future he would lose all the benefits of having been a subscriber and be treated like a new f2p player.  So, he wasn't talking about resubscribing and therefore his point is not moot.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Vahid

The OP was concerned that, even though he bought the game and pays sub fees every month, if he went free-to-play in the future he would lose all the benefits of having been a subscriber and be treated like a new f2p player.  So, he wasn't talking about resubscribing and therefore his point is not moot.

That isnt strictly true, former subscribers and new people that spend more than $5 get prefered status which is better than f2p but worse than a sub (as it should be)

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I agree with that guy that mentioned circle jerking....Good lord.  Most of these people doing this are the same ones posting in threads with similar names saying the same thing.

To the original poster.  When the game was sub fee only, and you stopped playing, did you moan and complain about not being able to play your account at all?

Did you think you spent all that money playing but were entitled to keep playing for nothing at the time?

Yet now that the game is f2p, you expect to basically do anything so the company can make no profit?

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

I purchased the game and paid every month since and now if i go down to prefered i can only keep 2 of my characters active.WTF?

That's 2 more than you could have had active yesterday if you weren't paying a subscription...

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Banquetto

I purchased the game and paid every month since and now if i go down to prefered i can only keep 2 of my characters active.

WTF?

That's 2 more than you could have had active yesterday if you weren't paying a subscription...

KABLAAM!!

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

People are seriously defending this pay2win cash shop? This blatant money grab to bleed there fans of money? In EA's eyes money does grow on tree's, it just goes through your hands first. 

I payed for the game, have a 50 Bh and a few other classes that are in there high 40's. When I heard the game was going F2P, I thought I might take another stab at it and see what they added. But with the model they are using, I am passing. This is overly greedy. I would rather play a shitty completely F2P game like Perfect World than SWTOR now. 

This is hurting you fans of SWTOR more than it is helping it. People are going to look and see you have to pay for action bars, you have to pay to hide your damn helmet. You have to pay to quick travel etc. and those people are going to say screw this greedy ass shit, just like I am. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Vunak23

People are seriously defending this pay2win cash shop? This blatant money grab to bleed there fans of money? In EA's eyes money does grow on tree's, it just goes through your hands first. 

I payed for the game, have a 50 Bh and a few other classes that are in there high 40's. When I heard the game was going F2P, I thought I might take another stab at it and see what they added. But with the model they are using, I am passing. This is overly greedy. I would rather play a shitty completely F2P game like Perfect World than SWTOR now. 

This is hurting you fans of SWTOR more than it is helping it. People are going to look and see you have to pay for action bars, you have to pay to hide your damn helmet. You have to pay to quick travel etc. and those people are going to say screw this greedy ass shit, just like I am. 

Personally I wouldn't defend this game... specially because I've never played it in the first place (I might take it for a spin now that it's F2P, though)... and before anyone asks what I'm doing in the TOR forums, I got here from the real-time forum overview that shows posts from all forums.. :)

However, and this goes more for the F2P titles in general, not just TOR, I really don't see merit on the OP's complain of being able to play only two chars for free after spending so much money in the game. As it was before the game was F2P, you could have spent $300+ or more into the game, and yet if you stopped paying the sub, you just couldn't play it anymore, neither of your characters, no matter how much you had spent in the past. As it is right now, you can play two of your chars, and still get some extra perks because you did spend money in the game in the past without paying anything more. TBH no matter what I see that as an improvement from your previous situation, from 0 to 2 characters available. And if you really want to play all your chars, you can just pretend the whole F2P thing never happened and sub again.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Vunak23

I'm not defending the game or their business model.  I happen to hate the F2P transition and think the game is going to fade into obscurity sooner rather than later.

Having said that, I'm not interested in letting false accusations and information, based on emotion or bias, get out of control.  Too many people are willing to just ignore inconvenient facts if they don't support their position.

You make me like charity

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

The game is painful to play as a F2P, if not impossible. i cant for the life of me understand how they are planning on getting more people into the game when playing without sprint in those huge maps is actually physically painful, in a game where you spend most of the time running.

The fact that every time you finish a quest the game reminds you that you are not earning as much exp as you should, the fact that some of the rewards arent even accesible if you are f2p.

The fact that everything in the game asks you for money... buying it from other players? dont make me laugh, you have a 200k money limit on your account, who do you think will sell you anything thats worth 5 bucks or more for 200k >.>?

Limiting the UI, not being able to hide helmets, or unifiying the colours on your equipment for crying out loud.

A big stupid yellow glowing button at all times in a light blue UI, just so you dont forget that if you pay you can maybe have fun? (even premium have the stupid button).

The fact that it is p2w because you cant equip the best equipment in the game if you dont... you guessed it, pay for it.

Its amazing how many people dont understand that the game is unplayable and thats why there are tons of complains.

It feels like a facebook game, feels like they hired someone from zynga to design the f2p model for them.

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82

I don't know how so many people can miss the entire point of a F2P conversion. The point is not to let everyone play uninhibited/unhindered for free. The point is to give people options on how they want to play (with the understanding that getting some money from some people is better than getting no money from nobody).

Before, you either subbed and had full access... or didn't subscribe and had no access. You either felt it was worth it and paid... or didn't. It was 100% black and white.

Now it's more gray:

If you're happy farting around with storylines and alts, a few instances, a little bit of PVP, guess what? You can literally do all of that for free now.

If you want to PVP more, you can pay for a pass.

If you want to PVE/raid more, you can pay for a pass.

If you want to unlock a specific race, you can buy it a la carte.

If you want to unlock extra ability bars, you can buy them a la carte for much cheaper than a full subscription.

If, at any point, you find yourself wanting to play enough that you would spend more on the "a la carte" items than a subscription, congratulations, you're at the point where a subscription is worth it. Subbing for even a single month gives you unlimited access for that month PLUS ~$5 worth of CC that you can spend after your sub lapses, making it a net cost of around $10 for the month.

It's really not that complicated.