Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retro 2D SNES Oldschool type MMORPG?

couponforkcouponfork Member UncommonPosts: 114

I've always dreamed of a decent retro SNES type MMORPG with a decent amount of customization... every game I find that sort of meets what I want, I find out that you will spend the entire game looking like every other mage who plays. Does anyone know of any 2D retro style MMORPGs that offer some sort of customization? I'm tempted to play Dark Ages but I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas at all.

Please AND thank you!

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    NEStalgia
    8bitmmo
    Realm of the madgod
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    What Shaky said.

Joined - July 2004

• couponforkcouponfork Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    NEStalgia
    8bitmmo
    Realm of the madgod

Originally posted by remyburke
    What Shaky said.

I'm assuming neither of you read the part about not wanting to look like every other character. I'm looking for something with customization, a paper doll system, some hair styles, skin colors...? something...

• MLGunitMLGunit Member Posts: 2

you should probably do a little reading before you play NEStalgia, as a word of advice

it has an unpleasant history

http://i.imgur.com/WZJli.png

http://www.webcitation.org/6BChczQY3

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by couponfork

NEStalgia
    8bitmmo
    Realm of the madgod

What Shaky said.

I'm assuming neither of you read the part about not wanting to look like every other character. I'm looking for something with customization, a paper doll system, some hair styles, skin colors...? something...

You want to look unique? In an 8 bit world? Good luck.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MuffpojkenMuffpojken Member Posts: 54

I've always dreamed of a decent retro SNES type MMORPG with a decent amount of customization... every game I find that sort of meets what I want, I find out that you will spend the entire game looking like every other mage who plays. Does anyone know of any 2D retro style MMORPGs that offer some sort of customization? I'm tempted to play Dark Ages but I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas at all.

Please AND thank you!

I would not call them MMORPGS, but heck, Diablo 3 is listed on this site so... Anyhow, you should check out both Terraria and the upcoming title Starbound. Both 2D sidescrollers with a lot of customization.

Playing: ARMA 2
    Waiting for: Darkfall: UW
    Played: Ultima Online, Age of Conan, Anarchy Online, Planetside, Dark age of Camelot, EQII, WoW, SWG, FFXI and a lot more

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

You could try Tibia, It started around 1997 and is still running. While it is normally not too hard for me not to talk about Runescape...It is hard for me to not talk about runescape in relation to Tibia so i'll make that part tiny text, lol;

Runescape and Tibia back then were similar games (or rather runescapes previous incarnation 'Devious MUD' was). And there was a big thing over which was better.  The popularity contest could have gone either way But, when Andrew & Mark Gower stepped down and Jagex incorperated, it swung the odds in Runescape's Favour (the prize was in effect a good chunk of 'the other guy's' Player base). Adding an aoptional pay version of Jagex's game and later making the move to 3D cemented it as the worlds most popular free to play MMO.

I wouldn't say That since then Tibia has starved, But in compairison it has been largely forgotten. Tibia stayed relatively the same graphically (though I here they do get an update once in a while to gameplay). It also remained completely free to play. The player base for Tibia is modest. But, from what I understand, they are pretty dedicated to their game.  So, you may find that 2d MMO element your looking for alongside a great small community (no garunteee's from me though).

You can find it here: http://www.tibia.com/mmorpg/free-multiplayer-online-role-playing-game.php

As well as an MMORPG.com review for it here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/85

[Edit: I checked their game features and it looks like there is now an optional 'premium' for enhanced gameplay...doesn't look like it's worth getting though as it expands a limited game sklightly and lets you 'rent' a house - I take as apposed to player owned housing.]

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Grunty

NEStalgia
    8bitmmo
    Realm of the madgod

What Shaky said.

You want to look unique? In an 8 bit world? Good luck.

This. There might be different color of armor and hair and maybe a couple hair styles but you really don't get much when the characters are just a few pixels.

• couponforkcouponfork Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Muffpojken

Please AND thank you!

I would not call them MMORPGS, but heck, Diablo 3 is listed on this site so... Anyhow, you should check out both Terraria and the upcoming title Starbound. Both 2D sidescrollers with a lot of customization.

Thank you so much for showing me those two games. Starbound looks very cool. I'll be following it :)